Options

Clueless about Japan

Comments

• Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    yes, open till 5 or 6pm as I had mentioned earlier. But if you are aware of the limitations then you can make sure that you get to them before they close. Are you in Japan now Tanuki?
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    yes, open till 5 or 6pm as I had mentioned earlier. But if you are aware of the limitations then you can make sure that you get to them before they close. Are you in Japan now Tanuki?

Yes, you have to be aware. I wasn't aware of this on my first trip to Japan and almost got stuck at the office one evening without enough Yen to pay for my train ticket home.

I am in Tokyo now. And you?

Mike
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Hiroshima. almost 10 years...

Wow. That makes me a relative newcomer at just over 2 years. But I hope to stay as long as possible.

By the way, the photos on your Smugmug page are fantastic. Nice work!

Mike
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Thanks every so much for the .gif Tyler. I've printed out two copies and will keep the file on my laptop when I go.

I just got back from the bookstore, picked up a pocket phrasebook, Lonely Planet guidebook to Tokyo and several maps. Now it's time to study. rolleyes1.gif

Ideally I'd love to travel outside of big cities to the smaller rural areas but given I have a lot of obligations already on top of it only being a week and a half, it might have to wait until the return visit.

You guys have all proven to be an enormously big help! bowdown.gif

Domo arigato gozaimasu!
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Also Thad thanks for the tips. I should start studying now. I hate going to a foreign country and not understanding even a most basic level of the language. Especially as I come back I always want to become fluent. :D

Dō itashi mashite. (doh EE-tah-shee mosh-teh) You are welcome.

Thad
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2007
    Hm, another question: It appears that this phrasebook has everything from "I'm high" to "Is the water OK to drink?" but I have no idea how to say "May I take your picture?" headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif I'm High! A phrase that I fins myself using here everyday! rolleyes1.gif

To say May I take your picture you should say:

Shashin wo tottemo ii desu ka?

As for pronounciation, just remember that all vowel sounds in Japanese are the short vowel sounds in English.

a (cat)

i (if)

u (sounds like the sound in "who" or "loop" )

e (let)

o (dog)

There are no other possible ways to pronounce the vowels. Sometimes they get lengthened. The "tt" in the word above "tottemo" acts to kind of stop the sound for a brief second. So "tot...temo". But hold your tongue in the "t" through that pause. Get what I'm saying?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    Wow. That makes me a relative newcomer at just over 2 years. But I hope to stay as long as possible.

By the way, the photos on your Smugmug page are fantastic. Nice work!

Mike

Thanks.

2 years is enough to be getting a good feel for the place :) I dunno when my two years actually slipped into 10... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I'm High! A phrase that I fins myself using here everyday! rolleyes1.gif

To say May I take your picture you should say:

Shashin wo tottemo ii desu ka?

As for pronounciation, just remember that all vowel sounds in Japanese are the short vowel sounds in English.

a (cat)

i (if)

u (sounds like the sound in "who" or "loop" )

e (let)

o (dog)

There are no other possible ways to pronounce the vowels. Sometimes they get lengthened. The "tt" in the word above "tottemo" acts to kind of stop the sound for a brief second. So "tot...temo". But hold your tongue in the "t" through that pause. Get what I'm saying?

Wow, the accent is very different in Hiroshima from Tokyo for some of the vowels. In Tokyo, it's...

a (as in "father")

i (rhymes with "bee")

o (as in "so")

The others are the same.

Mike
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    lol

nah, it's the same. I just realized that some of those I wrote can be taken in different ways. Also, I am Australian, so my natural pronounciations, and what sounds in Japanese are close to them, may be different from other countries' accents. ;) Where are you from Tanuki? Nice name BTW ;)

For me if you say "father", then it is a long a sound (British English) etc...

Trust me, although there is Hiroshima dialect, the sounds themselves are the same.

So to clarify:

a = not "ay!" as in what we call the letter A, but "a" as in "at"

and so on for the vowels. Don't imagine how you read them as individual letters Schmoo, but as how you actually pronounce them in the words listed above.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    a (as in "father")

i (rhymes with "bee")

o (as in "so")
    Heh, same in Dutch :D
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    This is extremely interesting to me, not only because my father, having grown up during Japanese occupation of Korea, reads/speaks a little Japanese, but because I have a fascination with linguistics in general. But my knowledge of phonetics so far has been limited to European languages, and the differences between them.

This is so educational :D
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    lol

nah, it's the same. I just realized that some of those I wrote can be taken in different ways. Also, I am Australian, so my natural pronounciations, and what sounds in Japanese are close to them, may be different from other countries' accents. ;) Where are you from Tanuki? Nice name BTW ;)

For me if you say "father", then it is a long a sound (British English) etc...

Trust me, although there is Hiroshima dialect, the sounds themselves are the same.

So to clarify:

a = not "ay!" as in what we call the letter A, but "a" as in "at"

and so on for the vowels. Don't imagine how you read them as individual letters Schmoo, but as how you actually pronounce them in the words listed above.

That's too funny for words. rolleyes1.gif The mystery has been solved! (I have an American accent by the way.)

Mike
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Hehe, I thought that might be the case!

Schmoo, you dad grew up in occupied Korea eh? Wow. How much can he still speak or understand of Japanese? I hear the older generations still can speak it quite well, also in Taiwan!
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Hehe, I thought that might be the case!

Schmoo, you dad grew up in occupied Korea eh? Wow. How much can he still speak or understand of Japanese? I hear the older generations still can speak it quite well, also in Taiwan!
    He doesn't speak it quite so well anymore, but he can read it. It's interesting because my mother cannot, but she grew up in the city whereas my father was a country lad. lol3.gif

They don't talk a lot about their childhood so it's hard for me to piece it together.

Another reason why I'm pretty fascinated with going over to Asia (finally!) since I typically don't travel in that westerly direction.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    So have you not been to Korea either then? Japan will certainly be an interesting experience for you. Very different to what I have seen of Korea (admittedly little).
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    I was in Japan 2 times, layovers on the way and from Vietnam, at Osaka Airport. All I can say - the airport was confusing, the hotel was nice, the food at one of the restaurants sucked, the other was good and I lucked out with a TV show of some Japanese kids spending a day in New York talking with New Yorkers.

My 2 vietnam travelers with me, 1 lead the way thru the airport. He asked directions and while doing so became furious because no one understood English. I on the other hand was rolleyes1.gif and made the help desk girls rolleyes1.gif

The one restaurant we ate at in the evening, the menu was multi pages in Japanese, when we asked for another menu for us, it was 1 piece of legal size paper - front side only and big text/no pictures. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Hey Mike, no I've not traveled any farther west than California. :giggle

Being on the east coast makes going in that direction very time-consuming. As it is I'm not sure how to pass the time on the 18-hour flight...

DJT I'm not heartened by your stories! I'm counting on the restaurants having pictures so I can just grunt and point. :D
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    DJT I'm not heartened by your stories! I'm counting on the restaurants having pictures so I can just grunt and point. :D

Well, considering I never left the airport grounds, you shouldn't listen to my advice... thumb.gif You'll have fun, and be sure to get a shot of the sunrise and sunset. It truly is the BIGGEST REDDEST SUN I've ever seen cresting above the ocean, and I didn't take a picture of it.

Yeah... I ended up going back to the Multi-paged Japanese menu and pointing to a picture. Then having eaten my food, I found out they didn't accept American Money nor did they accept travelers checks. Had to run back to the hotel and exchange some money, while one guy stayed at the restaurant.

I still have about $30.00 in yen (my trip thru Japan was in 1999).

But I would love to go to Japan and tour around the country. Can't wait to see your photos.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    DJT wrote:
    I was in Japan 2 times, layovers on the way and from Vietnam, at Osaka Airport. All I can say - the airport was confusing, the hotel was nice, the food at one of the restaurants sucked, the other was good and I lucked out with a TV show of some Japanese kids spending a day in New York talking with New Yorkers.

My 2 vietnam travelers with me, 1 lead the way thru the airport. He asked directions and while doing so became furious because no one understood English. I on the other hand was rolleyes1.gif and made the help desk girls rolleyes1.gif

The one restaurant we ate at in the evening, the menu was multi pages in Japanese, when we asked for another menu for us, it was 1 piece of legal size paper - front side only and big text/no pictures. headscratch.gif

DJT,

Your experience is very typical. English is not very common even in Tokyo. Even though everyone has to take English classes in school, they don't really learn it. And menus don't always have English or pictures, especially in Japanese restaurants.

Mike
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    DJT,
    Your experience is very typical. English is not very common even in Tokyo. Even though everyone has to take English classes in school, they don't really learn it.
    Mike
    I agree. The most common English words seemed to be ad slogans and movie catch phrases. When I was there three years ago my uncle tried explaining something to me in a combination of Japanese and limited English. It sounded so much like I was listening to a tv commercial that I kept wanting to hit the mute button. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard the phrase "fuainalu ansa" (final answer) on TV. Ug. The guy even looked like Regis.

Anyway, some more handy tips while in Japan.
    Don't bother carrying a water bottle. Carry loose change instead. There are vending machines selling hot and cold drinks everywhere.
    Cold Japanese-coffee-in-a-can is coffee as the Gods intended. You'll never go back to Charbucks. Coffee is pronounced kohee.
    If your walking along a street and you come across a mom-and-pop stationary store, buy some origami paper (simply origami in Japanese).
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    First I want to thank everyone for being so unbelievably helpful. All this info is wonderful! You guys truly rock.

One more question, electricity? We are going to be bringing our laptops, cameras, and a few other small electronics. I've read and heard conflicting reports on what will and won't work. I know they use the same configuration we do, but do I need a converter? I'm told that it's 100v instead of 120v... is this a problem?

Thanks!
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    It sounded so much like I was listening to a tv commercial that I kept wanting to hit the mute button. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard the phrase "fuainalu ansa" (final answer) on TV. Ug. The guy even looked like Regis.
    rolleyes1.gif

That's one thing I don't get over easily. Even in Europe -- in Germany where they are immensely proud of their language and the revival of national pride -- they still had a lot of English in their culture. But a large portion of locals couldn't speak English! I just can't comprehend having an even medium-sized regular presence of a foreign language in my culture and not being able to understand it. headscratch.gif

So Dan, I've heard about those infamous Japanese vending machines. The real question is: are they overpriced? :giggle

And +1 on Zwei's plug question.
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    So Dan, I've heard about those infamous Japanese vending machines. The real question is: are they overpriced? :giggle

And +1 on Zwei's plug question.
    They're quite reasonably priced, compared to most things. 100-300 yen for coffee, tea or softdrinks, 500+ yen for beer.

I never had any problems with the voltage. However, and this might have just been coincidence, I think I only ever saw two pin outlets. If your plug has a ground pin, like most laptop power cords do, you'll need an adapter.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    DJT rolleyes1.gif
    Sounds about right!

Don't worry Schmoo, it's not that bad, and that is all part of the fun. With restaurants, you can always pick one that has the plastic food displays outside in the shop window! rolleyes1.gif There you can decide what you want pretty easy. 18 hours?!? non-stop?!? Damn! I always get 2 nice and manageable 5 hour flights with a coupla hours in Singapore. Very easy to handle.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    First I want to thank everyone for being so unbelievably helpful. All this info is wonderful! You guys truly rock.

One more question, electricity? We are going to be bringing our laptops, cameras, and a few other small electronics. I've read and heard conflicting reports on what will and won't work. I know they use the same configuration we do, but do I need a converter? I'm told that it's 100v instead of 120v... is this a problem?

Thanks!

Japan is 100V, but the frequency is 50 Hz in Tokyo and 60 Hz in Kyoto.

Most electronics have a DC converter that is rated for 100-240V, 50-60 Hz. You should check your laptop, your Nikon battery charger and other electronics to be sure.

Electrical equipment is another matter. They can overheat or have other problems. It's best not to use them unless they are rated for the specific voltage and current. Be wary of miniature travel voltage converters, as they aren't good to use with electronics or electric motors.

Hope this helps.

Mike
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:

Thanks!

As far as the voltage, the best thing to do is to check the individual device and see what it is rated for. My Canon battery charger (CG580) says it can take input from 100V-240V, so it should be fine. I have two chargers for my cell phone, one of which lists only 120V, and the other one lists 100V-240V. I would only trust the one that lists 100V-240V. Same story on my Palm chargers, one lists 100V-240V, the other is specifically 120V.
    --Travis
  • Options
    drichidrichi Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Not sure if this will help or not, but addressing a Japanese person by name can have some very important connotations. You may already know this, but they introduce themselves wth their family name first (last name/first name instead of first name/last name like here in the states). Addressing someone by their family name alone is a sign of extreme familiarity. To play it safe, I always add "-san" when addressing them to show my respect (e.g., "Schmoo-san"). If I'm more familiar with them, I'll use "-chan" instead, but this is reserved for very close friends or family.

I'm obsessed with the culture and haven't been, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Listen to the people who have actually been there. mwink.gif I hope someday my studying will pay off when I visit myself. For now, my scant knowledge only comes in handy when the JAXA folks visit us.

Have a great time, girly. And take lots of pictures! thumb.gif

Well....I wouldn't use"-chan" with a man even if he were a relative unless I were kidding him. Or, perhaps a fast runner. It's used for little children, especially girls, or occasionally from children to their mother or grandmothers. Stick with "san" or even Mr. or Mrs.
  • Options
    drichidrichi Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

That's one thing I don't get over easily. Even in Europe -- in Germany where they are immensely proud of their language and the revival of national pride -- they still had a lot of English in their culture. But a large portion of locals couldn't speak English! I just can't comprehend having an even medium-sized regular presence of a foreign language in my culture and not being able to understand it. headscratch.gif

A lot of folks are that way. Sort of like most Americans not learning or speaking Spanish in the US. headscratch.gif But in Japan, a lot of people put a lot of money and effort into learning English, and though not everyone speaks it well because most people never really use it or need it, many can speak or understand a little--especially in big cities. As has been mentioned, many Japanese are very helpful and some will go much out of their way to help a tourist. Getting food and that sort of thing should be no problem. If all else fails, McDonalds is everywhere.

And the canned cold "coffee?" eek7.gif Good luck on that , but it would go well with a "real" burger from Mcds.