What's Your Color?

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay fellow Dgrinners, I've been having a lot of fun but need some help deciding my best shot and what else could be done to improve that shot. Thanks a bunch!!!

1. Natalie
209892421-L.jpg

2. Out of Line (My one colorful shot)
210316095-L.jpg

3. Rhapsody in Blue
210330942-L.jpg

4. Tangerine Playthings
210306608-L.jpg

5. Tomatoes & Herbs
210294359-L.jpg

6. Autumnal Offerings
210660546-L.jpg

Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

What's my best shot? 33 votes

Natalie
27% 9 votes
Out of Line
3% 1 vote
Rhapsody in Blue
3% 1 vote
Tangerine Playthings
12% 4 votes
Tomatoes & Herbs
6% 2 votes
Autumnal Offerings
48% 16 votes

Comments

• hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    You've got a great bunch of photos here, Emily - for me it's a toss up between Natalie (she's so adorable - is she yours?) and Autumnal offerings. Great work!!!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    hamster wrote:
    You've got a great bunch of photos here, Emily - for me it's a toss up between Natalie (she's so adorable - is she yours?) and Autumnal offerings. Great work!!!

Yes she's mine, thanks! And she's now too old to stick naked in a cabbage garden!
    Emily

• hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Ha ha! Darn kids, they get mobile so fast. I'm hoping my little guy cooperates at the pumpkin patch tomorrow. Good luck with your entry.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Autumnal Offerings is just irresistible to look at, but I was torn between it and Out of Line because Out of Line had a story and it made me giggle. The shadows on it are just a bit too stark, though, and kept distracting me too much. So your last image won me over. Might crop those two peppers off the bottom and see if that makes it any stronger. thumb.gif

Very nice set!
    edited October 19, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Autumnal Offerings is just irresistible to look at, but I was torn between it and Out of Line because Out of Line had a story and it made me giggle. The shadows on it are just a bit too stark, though, and kept distracting me too much. So your last image won me over. Might crop those two peppers off the bottom and see if that makes it any stronger. thumb.gif

Very nice set!

Thanks Kerry! They're actually Magnolia tree seeds. I'll work on cropping/vignette to cut down on their distraction.
    Emily

• bugziebugzie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    i like the...
    you sure have been busy!

i like the green herbs, and the tangerine toys. the colour is really beautifully handled in both of these.

what a difficult decision. but they're all great shots. congratulations!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thanks Kerry! They're actually Magnolia tree seeds. I'll work on cropping/vignette to cut down on their distraction.

Ha! I figured I was off the mark, but I never would have guessed that. Learn something new every day. :D
    edited October 20, 2007
    bugzie wrote:
    you sure have been busy!

i like the green herbs, and the tangerine toys. the colour is really beautifully handled in both of these.

what a difficult decision. but they're all great shots. congratulations!

Thanks Bugzie!
    Emily

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    I just voted for Autumnal Offerings

I also really like tangerine playthings.:D
    edited October 20, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    I just voted for Autumnal Offerings

I also really like tangerine playthings.:D

Thanks Sherstone!
    Emily

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    hamster wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

I really liked Natalie when I first saw it and still do. But Autumnal Offerings is right up there, IMHO.

The colors of Tangerine Playthings are great, but it still comes off as a jumble of toys. The greens of the Tomatoe and Herbs are nice, but it doesn't jump out at me like the still of the apple and magnolia seeds. Neither of the other two grab me either.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited October 20, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I really liked Natalie when I first saw it and still do. But Autumnal Offerings is right up there, IMHO.

The colors of Tangerine Playthings are great, but it still comes off as a jumble of toys. The greens of the Tomatoe and Herbs are nice, but it doesn't jump out at me like the still of the apple and magnolia seeds. Neither of the other two grab me either.

Thanks Colleen for your honest input!
    Emily

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Well, I voted for Blue, but how can anyone decide. I thought your child was great when you entered it.. Decisions....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Hiya GS...when I think of Colorful...I think of BRIGHT HAPPY colors...something that makes me feel like smiling, gives me a "cheery" feeling...and the photo of my choice would have to be

"Tangerine Playthings" it just made me smile!! (maybe a little reassembling would make a stronger impact in composition)

PS, on another note...I love them all..Laughing.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    My vote went for Natalie. It is an absolutely wonderful photograph - your daughter's personality shines through and I love the way the soft colors work together in such a pleasing way. This gives the whole photograph something more than the eye candy of a well executed, colorful still life. So, while I think any one of your photographs would be a strong entry and possibly even a safer entry (I'm not sure Natalie qualifies as either monochrome or colorful), Natalie is the best photograph of the lot. A real keeper. bowdown.gif

Virginia

Email
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    I like the curves and textures of the Autumnal Offering. Of course I could be wrong, it is just the one I like.

Good luck.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited October 20, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Well, I voted for Blue, but how can anyone decide. I thought your child was great when you entered it.. Decisions....

Mark - thank you! I was hoping that shot would get at least one vote. :D
    Emily

edited October 20, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hiya GS...when I think of Colorful...I think of BRIGHT HAPPY colors...something that makes me feel like smiling, gives me a "cheery" feeling...and the photo of my choice would have to be

"Tangerine Playthings" it just made me smile!! (maybe a little reassembling would make a stronger impact in composition)

PS, on another note...I love them all..Laughing.gif

Thank you Donna - glad I coul at least make you smile! :D
    Emily

edited October 20, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    My vote went for Natalie. It is an absolutely wonderful photograph - your daughter's personality shines through and I love the way the soft colors work together in such a pleasing way. This gives the whole photograph something more than the eye candy of a well executed, colorful still life. So, while I think any one of your photographs would be a strong entry and possibly even a safer entry (I'm not sure Natalie qualifies as either monochrome or colorful), Natalie is the best photograph of the lot. A real keeper. bowdown.gif

Virginia

Thank you Virgina. The photo of Natalie will defiinitely be going up on my wall BIG. :D
    Emily

edited October 20, 2007
    I like the curves and textures of the Autumnal Offering. Of course I could be wrong, it is just the one I like.

Good luck.

Thanks Brad!
    Emily

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Which ever you decide will be the best entry for the contest... by the way, we haven't seen any entries from your better half lately?? busy? or couldn't take the competition?!?! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Best of luck
    Winston
    edited October 20, 2007
    Which ever you decide will be the best entry for the contest... by the way, we haven't seen any entries from your better half lately?? busy? or couldn't take the competition?!?! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Best of luck
    Winston

HA! Actually he's been way too busy with his new job. Somebody has to work around here to support my expensive habit! rolleyes1.gif And to be honest - I've been totally spoiled. Today is my birthday and I've received RAM upgrade,a Nikon 18-55mm lens and CS3...WOOHOOOO!!!
    Emily

edited October 20, 2007
    Okay, I've cropped a sliver off the bottom of Autumnal Offerings. Looks like that's the winner.
    Emily

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    HA! Actually he's been way too busy with his new job. Somebody has to work around here to support my expensive habit! rolleyes1.gif And to be honest - I've been totally spoiled. Today is my birthday and I've received RAM upgrade,a Nikon 18-55mm lens and CS3...WOOHOOOO!!!

I certainly understand the "busy work" thing... I feel his pain... on the other hand, I still find the time to submit a shot and post a few words of wit and wisdomne_nau.gif
    Happy birthday!!! some great gifts!

Winston
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Happy Birthday Emily!!!!!
    I voted for Natalie - it is one of the best child portraits that I have ever seen. Autumnal Offerings was a close second. It just wasn't as engaging to me though. All are great images!
    edited October 21, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    I voted for Natalie - it is one of the best child portraits that I have ever seen. Autumnal Offerings was a close second. It just wasn't as engaging to me though. All are great images!

Thank you so much Travis - what a tremendous compliment!
    I am having a hard time switching the photo to Autumnal Offerings, as I really do think it'll come down to whether people like kid portraits, or they feel it's "just another cute kid shot". I guess I need to go with majority vote...although Natalie will definitely get a prize spot on my wall.
    Emily

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Of course it is your choice and you have to enter what you feel good about entering because you have to live with the decision of the judges. No one knows how the judges will react - in fact, do we even know who the judges will be? We do know that Shay has said that technical aspects will be very important in this round. I don't think that is terribly helpful for your decisionmaking as all of your photos are very well done.

Really, all I want to say is that Natalie is not just another cut kid's shot. You've captured something here - I think it is the outfit, the little stool and the wonderful coloration - that would look wonderful on many a wall, or a bookcover or in an ad. Kudos. And good luck!!

Virginia

Email
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Each one a nice picture and grabbed so quickly. thumb.gif Good luck with your
    final choice.
    Michael
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I wound up voting for the Tomatoes and Herbs. I love the various hues of greens and all the textures you captured.

Autumnal Offerings is definitely eye-catching and if I could have voted for two, I would have also voted for this one.

At any rate, you have a nice group of photos to choose from! The hardest thing you're going to have to do is decide which one to enter. mwink.gif
    edited October 22, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Of course it is your choice and you have to enter what you feel good about entering because you have to live with the decision of the judges. No one knows how the judges will react - in fact, do we even know who the judges will be? We do know that Shay has said that technical aspects will be very important in this round. I don't think that is terribly helpful for your decisionmaking as all of your photos are very well done.

Really, all I want to say is that Natalie is not just another cut kid's shot. You've captured something here - I think it is the outfit, the little stool and the wonderful coloration - that would look wonderful on many a wall, or a bookcover or in an ad. Kudos. And good luck!!

Virginia

Virginia,

Thank you so much for your comments. It is impossible to know how the judges will vote. No, we still don't know who they are, but I'm not certain that ever helps anyway! I mean, when I look at what my personal unofficial top ten would be, it's almost always the shots I couldn't shoot or would never have thought to shoot that impress me the most.

Emily
    Emily