Options

SmugMug + Blurb Book partnership ...

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    cool...i guess?
    I will probably keep selling blurb books, but this has no effect on my workflow.

I find blurb's printers to print more saturated yellows than EZPrints, so I adjust images that go into blurb books accordingly. ne_nau.gif

Also, until my clients can order a Blurb book directly from my Smugmug site, along side prints and have ONE credit card transaction with one vendor, there is really no benefit at all from me pointing to my web gallery (slow), vs. my HD (fast).
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    ArtKArtK Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    I would second that - I have had very good luck with mypublisher
    The software is decent but the quality of the books and the way they package them for shipment is outstanding.

photocat wrote:
    I had a go at it on saturday, and it takes AGES to slurp the pics from my smugmug account. I did not finish it as it took way too long for me. I want to do the books fast, I used to work as a paper layout woman, so I know what I am doing. Waiting that long to get my pics in the application from Blurb is too counter productive.
    Now what I would really like would be for Smugmug to work with mypublisher.com. I have done a lot of mypublisher.com, and the quality is very very good. I sell them to my customers who can't afford a 800 dollar wedding book. I sell it for 400 dollars. More or less... And the people are happy with the publisher books. Sad thing is that you can't make a store on my publisher.
    I think that a combination Smugmug and publisher.com would be a far better combination then Blurb. Blurb then has the possibility for us to make a profit on the books. But how long will that profit last if the books are not good quality? I will await further news from Smugmug on this subject. We are on broadband BTW, so the downloads should go a lot faster then what the speed is now... My two cents...
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Also, until my clients can order a Blurb book directly from my Smugmug site, along side prints and have ONE credit card transaction with one vendor,
    Hey Lynne,

can you send me a link to somewhere in your site where you have this available?
    I'm really interested in this, but haven't seen any sites w/ it up and running.

I'm really interested in seeing how a buyer can select prints, then send them to blurb to get the book they want. That sounds cooler than sliced toast!

Thanks,
    -Jon
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm really interested in seeing how a buyer can select prints, then send them to blurb to get the book they want. That sounds cooler than sliced toast!
    afaik, this is not possible at this time.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    afaik, this is not possible at this time.
    I mis-understood Lynne's post to mean that she had that functionality.

Do you know if this is on the drawing board? I'm sure you can picture how great something like this would be for smuggers
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Even a way for someone to select a group of photos and "send" the selection to you so the smugger can create the book w/ the selection made would be cool. (kinda like a quick collection in Lr)

I think that's a record for saying "selection" in one sentance!:D
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Hey Lynne,

can you send me a link to somewhere in your site where you have this available?
    I'm really interested in this, but haven't seen any sites w/ it up and running.

Thanks,
    -Jon

Not sure if this is what you are looking for Jon but this is how I made my last book available. CLICK HERE It has sold fairly well and my customers have been very happy with it. For what that is worth.
  • Options
    jcpjcp Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    ^^^ Now this sounds interesting. So with Blurb.com, you can sell these books pre-designed and can you include a markup for yourself? Or are all the books sold at Blurb's prices and they retain all profit?

I would love to be able to offer something like this as well.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    jcp wrote:
    ^^^ Now this sounds interesting. So with Blurb.com, you can sell these books pre-designed and can you include a markup for yourself? Or are all the books sold at Blurb's prices and they retain all profit?

I would love to be able to offer something like this as well.

You write your book, upload it Blurb, design what you want it to look like and then you set a price (Blurb's cost plus your markup amount). Once you have done that you create a 'storefront' on Blurb's site where customers can purchase your book.

When a customer purchases your book Blurb gets their cost and you get whatever price you added to their cost.

That help?
  • Options
    magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    You write your book, upload it Blurb, design what you want it to look like and then you set a price (Blurb's cost plus your markup amount). Once you have done that you create a 'storefront' on Blurb's site where customers can purchase your book.

When a customer purchases your book Blurb gets their cost and you get whatever price you added to their cost.

That help?

I just ordered my free blurb book will let you know what I think..could get it tomorrow...janis
    (2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
    http://www.photographybywidget.com
  • Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Only one serious issue: Can we put our books up for sale through our own pro web site at smugmug? I am going to be gettign my own domain name and using my smugmug site as my main selling platform. I doubt anybody will pony up $100 or so for a random travel book on Uzbekistan i just because they saw it in blurb's bookstore. Are there any plans for that sort of thing?

Currently we don't allow you to sell your finished Blurb book in the SmugMug shopping cart. You could however put links to the Blurb book on your SmugMug homepage if you wanted.

Just by way of FYI. Blurb allows you to set your own book price and they will pay you 100% commission on the sale of that book.

Markham
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    I had a go at it on saturday, and it takes AGES to slurp the pics from my smugmug account. I did not finish it as it took way too long for me. I want to do the books fast, I used to work as a paper layout woman, so I know what I am doing. Waiting that long to get my pics in the application from Blurb is too counter productive.
    Now what I would really like would be for Smugmug to work with mypublisher.com. I have done a lot of mypublisher.com, and the quality is very very good. I sell them to my customers who can't afford a 800 dollar wedding book. I sell it for 400 dollars. More or less... And the people are happy with the publisher books. Sad thing is that you can't make a store on my publisher.
    I think that a combination Smugmug and publisher.com would be a far better combination then Blurb. Blurb then has the possibility for us to make a profit on the books. But how long will that profit last if the books are not good quality? I will await further news from Smugmug on this subject. We are on broadband BTW, so the downloads should go a lot faster then what the speed is now... My two cents...

If you do allow the images to download into the Blurb software, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on comparing the Blurb book to mypublisher.com book quality.

In the studies we saw the quality was very similar. Also, the Blurb software we found to be much more robust and flexible to the mypublisher software.

Markham
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for Jon but this is how I made my last book available. CLICK HERE It has sold fairly well and my customers have been very happy with it. For what that is worth.

Yes, this is the way I was thinking Smuggers could do it for the time being.

Markham
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I've been trying for the last hour to copy text and paste it into a text field while making my book and each and every time it crashes the program. Occasionally before it crashes it will actually put the text in the box but I can't make any changes to the formatting before it goes poof. Has anyone else experienced this? I saw no mention in this thread so far of it.

Which is horribly disappointing to me as the photo import side of the app looks and works wonderfully, but I am not going to order a book without text.

On the bright side, the auto-save feature works....
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I've been trying for the last hour to copy text and paste it into a text field while making my book and each and every time it crashes the program. Occasionally before it crashes it will actually put the text in the box but I can't make any changes to the formatting before it goes poof. Has anyone else experienced this? I saw no mention in this thread so far of it.

Which is horribly disappointing to me as the photo import side of the app looks and works wonderfully, but I am not going to order a book without text.

On the bright side, the auto-save feature works....
    Are you copying from a pure text editor like notepad? If from a word processor
    there might be a lot of overhead, hidden junk, coming with it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Are you copying from a pure text editor like notepad? If from a word processor
    there might be a lot of overhead, hidden junk, coming with it.

No: TextEdit, and when I paste I make sure to "Paste Plain Text"

I've gotten it to work... sometimes. It seems to be completely random whether or not it decides to do it, and if it doesn't I need to click and play around in other pages/fields and then come back and try again.

So it's working, albeit in a very tedious, grueling pace. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    For all of you that didn't get your free Coupon: clap.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75747

Markham
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Ham1 wrote:
    If you do allow the images to download into the Blurb software, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on comparing the Blurb book to mypublisher.com book quality.

In the studies we saw the quality was very similar. Also, the Blurb software we found to be much more robust and flexible to the mypublisher software.

Markham

When I started to create books a year or so ago I looked at all I could find including Mypublisher, Blurb, Lulu and others. I created a test book of 50 pages to see how each worked as far as the creation process and I ordered it from a couple of companies (Lulu, Blurb and another I cannot recall the name of) to compare the result.

Blurb had the best end result in the form I wanted, print quality and at a price I thought my customers could afford. Lulu was difficult to work with software wise and their printing was horrible. MyPublisher did not offer me enough choices on size and format design so I never went very far with testing them. They offer a few more sizes and formats now than they did when I did my original research.

Blurb provides me with the best all around situation for creating and selling books. I tested the download from Smugmug to a new book I started and it took less than 35 minutes for 50 or so photos on an average speed DSL line. While I'd like to see some improvement in their software I have not had any trouble with it crashing as I had read that others have. (I'd suspect that most of those problems are caused my a video driver conflict. But I could be way off on that.)

I have contacted Blurb via email a couple of times and always gotten a responce within 24-36 hours. Not great but not bad.

My two cents worth anyway. All any of us can do is to try to see which book vendor works best for us and go from there.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Ham1 wrote:
    For all of you that didn't get your free Coupon: clap.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75747

Markham
    TYVM Mark!
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Can anyone comment on the look and feel (and quality) of the soft cover blurb books? I ordered a hard cover a few months ago and was quite happy with it, but am wondering at how the soft cover comes up?
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I JUST signed up with blurb.
    In the email it said the free book offer is gone, but are offering free shipping. Oh well.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    Halliday wrote:
    I JUST signed up with blurb.
    In the email it said the free book offer is gone, but are offering free shipping. Oh well.

I just sent you a PM with a code. I have a some leftovers for those that didn't get one.

Go check your PM! clap.gif

Markham
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    When I started to create books a year or so ago I looked at all I could find including Mypublisher, Blurb, Lulu and others. I created a test book of 50 pages to see how each worked as far as the creation process and I ordered it from a couple of companies (Lulu, Blurb and another I cannot recall the name of) to compare the result.

Blurb had the best end result in the form I wanted, print quality and at a price I thought my customers could afford. Lulu was difficult to work with software wise and their printing was horrible. MyPublisher did not offer me enough choices on size and format design so I never went very far with testing them. They offer a few more sizes and formats now than they did when I did my original research.

Blurb provides me with the best all around situation for creating and selling books. I tested the download from Smugmug to a new book I started and it took less than 35 minutes for 50 or so photos on an average speed DSL line. While I'd like to see some improvement in their software I have not had any trouble with it crashing as I had read that others have. (I'd suspect that most of those problems are caused my a video driver conflict. But I could be way off on that.)

I have contacted Blurb via email a couple of times and always gotten a responce within 24-36 hours. Not great but not bad.

My two cents worth anyway. All any of us can do is to try to see which book vendor works best for us and go from there.

Good feedback thanks. As for the customer support response, hopefully it will get much faster than that.

Markham
  • Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Blurb Books
    I have ordered my Blurb sample book using the Smugmug check out coupon, so I'm anxious to see how it looks in person. This will be a great marketing tool for additional business, I hope...

Just one question. Do we always have to use vertical photos or did I miss something when I was uploading the pictures? headscratch.gif
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    justus wrote:
    I have ordered my Blurb sample book using the Smugmug check out coupon, so I'm anxious to see how it looks in person. This will be a great marketing tool for additional business, I hope...

Just one question. Do we always have to use vertical photos or did I miss something when I was uploading the pictures? headscratch.gif
    Upload either portrait or landscapes and if you're creating a photobook just
    select the page templete for either or a combo type.

I found it much quicker to load the photos from my harddrive though and a
    add a few other from Smug.

btw, mine shipped today.clap.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Ham1 wrote:
    I just sent you a PM with a code. I have a some leftovers for those that didn't get one.

Go check your PM! clap.gif

Markham

I just got that thank you. I appreciate it.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    I really wish with this software that there was a way to reverse a page layout. Some of the page layouts are a fun design, but it doesn't make sense to have a full bleed image on the left third of the page if you can't reverse it to keep most of that page out of the gutter.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    I really wish with this software that there was a way to reverse a page layout. Some of the page layouts are a fun design, but it doesn't make sense to have a full bleed image on the left third of the page if you can't reverse it to keep most of that page out of the gutter.

I've actually given up trying to fit my images into these pre-determined layouts. I now make my own layouts in PS as an 8x10 document and just place it in the book as a full bleed page. This way I can do any layout with any combination of text. Does this make sense?

I'm just sorry I missed the free Blurb book offer. I've been using Mypublisher successfully, but I would like to try a Smugmug related product.
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    I wonder if blurb is any closer to making their profit/pricing scheme available to those of us living outside of the US?
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    I've actually given up trying to fit my images into these pre-determined layouts. I now make my own layouts in PS as an 8x10 document and just place it in the book as a full bleed page. This way I can do any layout with any combination of text. Does this make sense?
    I'm interested in the details of this. Would you mind starting up a thread talking a bit about how you do this in more detail?

In not, no worries. No harm in asking since your post peaked my interest.

Cheers,
    -Jon