Options

SmugMug + Blurb Book partnership ...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    BTW---I have a few Blurb Free Book coupons left if anyone wants to try and make a book before Nov 20th.

Just PM me for a free coupon.

Thanks,
    Markham
  • Options
    bruceblurbbruceblurb Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Hi Jon, this would be a great thread because it's always a question we get asked about a lot, including how some our users automate things like proof books and image resizing.

A good thing to note is that whenever you mouse over any photo container in BookSmart you'll get a pop up showing you the recommended pixel dimension for that container, making it easier to set up your PS files at just the right size.

Best,

--bw
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm interested in the details of this. Would you mind starting up a thread talking a bit about how you do this in more detail?

In not, no worries. No harm in asking since your post peaked my interest.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    JakeJake Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Blurb Service and Quality
    I was excited to read about the free book deal and placed my order on November 5th. I received my order yesterday, opened up the package to see the beautiful image on the cover and back of the book. I was really impressed with the picture quality. However, my excitement quickly faded when I opened up the book and found they had the right cover, but wrong contents. My Wild Minnesota book was filled with images of the Los Gatos Soccer team.

I was going to use the book at a couple of up coming shows to see if it garnered any interest from customers. Now I'll have to see how well Blurb responds via email! My initial impression is not good and not sure I could trust referring customers to this service. They need to work on quality if they cannot match up covers with the correct book!
    Thanks,
    Jake

"Some people hunt with a rifle, I hunt with a Canon" ~ Gary Jacobson
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Hi Jake and so sorry to hear about the issue with your first order. Our customer support folks have recieved your report so you should be getting your correct book soon. If you don't get satisfactory response drop me a line on PM.

Best,

--bw

Bruce Watermann
    VP Print Operations
    Blurb, Inc.
    Jake wrote:
    I was excited to read about the free book deal and placed my order on November 5th. I received my order yesterday, opened up the package to see the beautiful image on the cover and back of the book. I was really impressed with the picture quality. However, my excitement quickly faded when I opened up the book and found they had the right cover, but wrong contents. My Wild Minnesota book was filled with images of the Los Gatos Soccer team.

I was going to use the book at a couple of up coming shows to see if it garnered any interest from customers. Now I'll have to see how well Blurb responds via email! My initial impression is not good and not sure I could trust referring customers to this service. They need to work on quality if they cannot match up covers with the correct book!
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Paper quality
    Hello Bruce,
    I have searched for the following information in Blurb forums with no luck so perhaps you can help please.

What is the weight of the paper used - here in the UK it is usually refered to in gms, not sure if this is universal ?

Can you specify the type of paper used ?

Is the same paper used in all books, maintaining a consistency in quality andcolor rendition ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Blurb has a feature where you can drop a tag that links to the site where you can buy the book, this tag can be imbedded in stuff like blogs. Wil it be possible, eventually, for us to have a gallery of "books" where we can display these badges?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Hi Caroline, our European printer uses Mango Satin, 150 gsm on all products.

Best,

--bw
    caroline wrote:
    Hello Bruce,
    I have searched for the following information in Blurb forums with no luck so perhaps you can help please.

What is the weight of the paper used - here in the UK it is usually refered to in gms, not sure if this is universal ?

Can you specify the type of paper used ?

Is the same paper used in all books, maintaining a consistency in quality andcolor rendition ?

Caroline
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    bruceblurb wrote:
    Hi Caroline, our European printer uses Mango Satin, 150 gsm on all products.

Best,

--bw
    Thanks for that info Bruce - does this mean that despite ordering in $$$ to get the benefit of my coupon, the book will be printed in Europe ?
    Can you tell me who manufactures Mango Satin - can't seem to find anything about it (apologies for my inquisitiveness, have been involved in the paper trade :))

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Yes indeed. In general, all books shipping to EU addresses are printed by our printer based in the Netherlands. The exception to that rule is that in order to load balance during peak times we reserve the right to move orders to other printers, which is rare.

--bw
    caroline wrote:
    Thanks for that info Bruce - does this mean that despite ordering in $$$ to get the benefit of my coupon, the book will be printed in Europe ?

Caroline
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    is there still no further update to when profits from blurb book sales might be availaible to people outside the US?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Hi Mike, here is the latest http://forums.blurb.com/forums/6/topics/1112

--bw
    Giphsub wrote:
    is there still no further update to when profits from blurb book sales might be availaible to people outside the US?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    bruceblurb wrote:
    Yes indeed. In general, all books shipping to EU addresses are printed by our printer based in the Netherlands. The exception to that rule is that in order to load balance during peak times we reserve the right to move orders to other printers, which is rare.

--bw

Hello Bruce, did you miss the question in my post about who manufactures Mango Satin ? I would like to obtain a sample of the paper :)

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Sorry Caroline,,,it is manufactured by Sappi http://www.sappi.com

Best,

--bw
    caroline wrote:
    Hello Bruce, did you miss the question in my post about who manufactures Mango Satin ? I would like to obtain a sample of the paper :)

Caroline
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Print to pdf
    Bruce,
    It only prints the pages and not the front and backcover. Any way to include
    these in pdf?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Hi Allen, the answer is here http://blurb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/blurb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=165&p_created=1182890757&p_sid=vV3jlUQi&p_accessibility=&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzksMzkmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXByaW50aW5n&p_li=&p_topview=1.

Sorry but we don't offer that fuctionality in the current release.

Best,

--bw
    Allen wrote:
    Bruce,
    It only prints the pages and not the front and backcover. Any way to include
    these in pdf?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    bruceblurb wrote:
    Sorry Caroline,,,it is manufactured by Sappi http://www.sappi.com

Best,

--bw
    Thanks Bruce thumb.gif

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    bruceblurb wrote:
    Hi Mike, here is the latest http://forums.blurb.com/forums/6/topics/1112

--bw

Thanks Bruce thumb.gif So the option may be possible some time early next year then? Sweet.