Temporary service interruption

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 24, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Site's hiccupping right now - engineers are on it as we speak. More here, when we know it, thanks for your patience and understanding, and sorry for the interruption.

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Site's hiccupping right now .

I'm holding my breath! Hope that helps.:D
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I didn't do it ne_nau.gif

Good luck.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Well, the site is still pretty snappy even in it's read-only state! That's a great addition, btwthumb.gif
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Well, the site is still pretty snappy even in it's read-only state! That's a great addition, btwthumb.gif

Agreed! If it wasn't for the red banner acros the top, I wouldn't know anything was wrong (well, probably wouldn't notice until I tried to upload something). deal.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Snappy? eek7.gif You're kidding, right? For me, it's prompting me for a password to view my own photos while I'm already logged in. How are you getting the read-only state? According to star*explorer, the site has been unable to accept new photos for about an hour. :cry

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Agreed! If it wasn't for the red banner acros the top, I wouldn't know anything was wrong (well, probably wouldn't notice until I tried to upload something). deal.gif

Add me to the list of those who also believe the red-banner warning is a great addition! Thank you. This is especially helpful if the "temporary difficulties" refers to some site behavior (or misbehavior) a visitor would experience.

From what I could tell (not logged-in), the site is behaving normally...so I had to ask myself, "...so, why the notice??". If the "temporary difficulties" affect logged-in users, but not visitors, is there a way to have the red banner appear only for the logged-in group, so as not to scare-off guests??? (I must have sent out 30 emails last nite inviting people to my site to see the larger size images, thus the concern about guests seeing a warning this morning that probably doesn't even affect them.) Just a thought.
    edited October 22, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I'm holding my breath! Hope that helps.:D
    004mL0-11976984.jpg
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Ditto on the banner
    I think the addition of the banner at the top is great - could be a little more prominent but caught my eye as soon as things weren't working. Great job for letting us know SM!:D
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I'm sorry folks.. I'll take the blame. It's only because I have a client meeting in about 30 minutes and I went to upload some photos for them to see. eek7.gif
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 22, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Snappy? eek7.gif You're kidding, right? For me, it's prompting me for a password to view my own photos while I'm already logged in. How are you getting the read-only state? According to star*explorer, the site has been unable to accept new photos for about an hour. :cry
    Thats because when we're in read-only mode, we disable logged in sessions. ie., it treats everyone as a visitor.
    Pedal faster
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Site's back up. Sorry for the trouble, folks.
    edited October 22, 2007
    That was short lived.. mine is working fine now!

clap.gif
    edited October 22, 2007
    Hey Andy,

Everything seems to be working except the image aren't processing after upload. Am I possibly just caught in the queue?

Scott
  • photobyaaronphotobyaaron Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    +1 on that one. I had the same issue just before the site went into read-only mode.
    Hey Andy,

Everything seems to be working except the image aren't processing after upload. Am I possibly just caught in the queue?

Scott
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:

No problem at all... keep up the great work!

I'd hate to see the in-boxes here when the website doesn't behave, it's bad enough when I have 1 client website not working right on my end and they are calling or emailing wondering why the site is down and when will it be back up. You're dealing with 1000+ people.

Ric turning Blue - PapaSmurf PapaSmurf, Smugs back up! Laughing.gif
    edited October 22, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Thats because when we're in read-only mode, we disable logged in sessions. ie., it treats everyone as a visitor.

Appreciate the explantion, BWG. Fortunately, I'm using star*explorer for a big upload (started last night) and though it too gets foiled by the read-only mode, it's so persistant that it won't give up. Well, until ten tries but at least it "remembers" what wasn't uploaded. Blab blab blab... let's just say I'm glad the site is back up. :D

edited October 22, 2007
    DJT wrote:
    Ric turning Blue - PapaSmurf PapaSmurf, Smugs back up! Laughing.gif

Happy%20face%20Joanne.JPG
    edited October 22, 2007
    Hey Andy,

Scott
    yes, there will be a queue and some catchup after this.
    edited October 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    yes, there will be a queue and some catchup after this.

Some page elements are still taking forever to load still...ie....background...thumbnails...seperators...etc.
  • MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Back up?
    It may be back up but, it will not "hold" my customizations. I wanted to change text on my footer and, I tried three times (after clicking "Update")
    but, it won't save the changes.

It must be only me having problems with Smugmug today I guess :-(

Markjay
    Andy wrote:
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    So glad this post was here, I was wondering why my photos were not uploading! Thanks for the support!!! I love this site!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Snappy? eek7.gif You're kidding, right?
    Um, no. I was not kidding. I could see all my photos (as a guest) and the pages loaded quickly. I think this is a big improvement over the previous state of affairs before read-only mode existed.
    edited October 22, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Um, no. I was not kidding. I could see all my photos (as a guest) and the pages loaded quickly. I think this is a big improvement over the previous state of affairs before read-only mode existed.

Well, it must be a west coast thing. It's still slow as molasses for me.

• eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Is there a problem with the crop tool? When I open a photo to crop, it gives me a pop-up that indicates photo is still loading. Can't close the pop-up window and it locks up my browser. Have to go to the Windows Task Manager to end the program.
    edited October 22, 2007
    Yes, cropping and zoom thumbing appear to be affected still. Hang in there please.
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Its so funny every time I get someone to sign up for SM and work on a page for them invariably the site has problems. It may have been months since the last but it never fails it always happens right after they join. I told them I must be jinxed or something. rolleyes1.gif

Good job SM crew getting things back to (semi) normal. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Are things back to normal?
    Andy wrote:
    Site's hiccupping right now - engineers are on it as we speak. More here, when we know it, thanks for your patience and understanding, and sorry for the interruption.

I just put up 14 new galleries and am ready to send out an announcement to a bunch of soccer team parents. I'd like to wait until we all think service performance and stability is back to it's usually good state, but I don't have a particularly good way to know the answer to that question.

Are there still ongoing things that are being worked on or does the Smugmug crew think things are now "back to normal"?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited October 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I just put up 14 new galleries and am ready to send out an announcement to a bunch of soccer team parents. I'd like to wait until we all think service performance and stability is back to it's usually good state, but I don't have a particularly good way to know the answer to that question.

Are there still ongoing things that are being worked on or does the Smugmug crew think things are now "back to normal"?
    should be back to normal as of now, if your photos are processed then go for it :)
  • RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Well, it must be a west coast thing. It's still slow as molasses for me.

I'm on the very, very east coast (UK :p), and it was quick for me.
  • rodcrodc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Wont' Load on Vista machines
    I don't know if this is affected but I have not been able to get on my site at all through my desktop and laptop they both have vista. i am able to access with XP machine. all are on the same internet acess.

Is this part of the problem they are working on?
    Rod