Tuesday's with the Dalai Lama (LOTS of photos)

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited November 6, 2007 in People
The Dalai Lama came to visit Bloomington during his visit while accepting the US congressional gold medal. The Local Tibetan Center apparently was created by the lama's brother.

The local media relation lady has become a big fan of my work lately, and as a result of some photos asked for me to be the photographer today when the Lama arrived at the Center. Also, she arranged a private photo shoot this Saturday while the Lama is meditating and praying, with only one photographer, and asked me personally to do it (this totally makes up for the Media blackout that Bob Dylan had last Friday during his concert for Homecoming here at IU).

So needless to say I am crazy nervous and ridiculously excited at the same time.

But here are some photos of his arrival and the event today.

(PS. These are unedited or altered. I haven't had time, and I'm WAY behind on my photo updating. I am tired from studying for my French test, and in addition, these were taken with my new 40D and most with my new 70-300mm DO IS USM lens [Thanks again dad, this camera and lens are freaking AWESOME!!!!]. So personally, I felt they turned out perfect...ish)

212153424-L.jpg
212153484-L.jpg
212153625-L.jpg
212153671-L.jpg
212153722-L.jpg
212153839-L.jpg
212153910-L.jpg
212153955-L.jpg
212154004-L.jpg
212154059-L.jpg
212154098-L.jpg
212154159-L.jpg
212154243-L.jpg
212154330-L.jpg
212154379-L.jpg
212154442-L.jpg
212154493-L.jpg
212154553-L.jpg
212154636-L.jpg
212154692-L.jpg
212154757-L.jpg
212154828-L.jpg
212155014-L.jpg
212155138-L.jpg
212155387-L.jpg
212155486-L.jpg
212155625-L.jpg
Our local mayor, and Elaine Mellencamp (yes, THAT Mellencamp)
212155902-L.jpg
212155975-L.jpg
212155852-L.jpg
212155687-L.jpg
212155190-L.jpg
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Great images, and spectacular opportunity.

Sam
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Great images, and spectacular opportunity.

Sam
    I know, it's taking all my concentration to make sure I don't psych myself out and gt too nervous :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 23, 2007
    Now I'm jealous - I want all that gear back:D :D

Your exposures seem dead on, the color is glorious, and the scenes you have chosen are fascinating. The people, the faces, the armor, all are great!!

Looking forward to seeing morethumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Wow! You're going to need a bigger hat!!thumb.gif

Mike
    Looking for adventure in all the wrong places!
    edited October 23, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Now I'm jealous - I want all that gear back:D :D
    Heck no. I'm never giving it back now rolleyes1.gif
    pathfinder wrote:
    Your exposures seem dead on, the color is glorious, and the scenes you have chosen are fascinating. The people, the faces, the armor, all are great!!

Looking forward to seeing morethumb.gif
    I was surprised how well they turned out. I haven't even set a custom color profile yet. That was done just with standard. All I did was white balance for clouds, and that's how they turned out. I LOVE this camera :D
    DesertRat wrote:
    Wow! You're going to need a bigger hat!!
    I hope not, my head is already big enough, and now that I'm letting my hair grow, it doesn't help :ivar
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    These are wonderful! I am crazy jealous of the opportunity, not only to be the photographer for something like this, but because being around those like the Dalai Lama is a nearly life-altering experience.

A couple of years ago some Buddhist monks came to Annapolis to create a mandala. Walking into that room where they were working and interacting with them gave an overwhelming sense of peace and serenity. It really did open my eyes and soul to something I'd never experienced before.

I am not sure that you had the luxury of relaxing as the photographer, but I'm envious all the same. :D

I am loving the dude in the traditional armor and the digital camera around his neck! lol3.gif

Are you allowed to edit/PP photos as a photojournalist?
    edited October 24, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Are you allowed to edit/PP photos as a photojournalist?
    Simple answer? No. Complex answer? Not really. :D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    clap.gif great set bowdown.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gif great set bowdown.gif

15524779-Ti.giflustiloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust all of them !!!!clap.gif
    :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • ShelleykShelleyk Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Wow! Nice!
    Ok so totally disregard what I posted to your other thread!!:D
    edited October 24, 2007
    Shelleyk wrote:
    Wow! Nice!
    Ok so totally disregard what I posted to your other thread!!:D
    HAHAHAHAHA I think I already did, cause I don't remember what you said :D

And thank you everyone for the compliments, I was really nervous going into it because I'm still hit or miss. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't. but this 40D has helped a LOTTTTT!!!!
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Those look really great - nice saturation and contrast especially for a drizzly day. Good thing your lens has IS - helps to compensate for sweaty, shaking, nervous hands!

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
    edited October 24, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Those look really great - nice saturation and contrast especially for a drizzly day. Good thing your lens has IS - helps to compensate for sweaty, shaking, nervous hands!

- Mike
    HAHAHAHA It was too cold for sweaty :) And once it focused I wasn't nervous, it was the moments leading up, because for a good 60 seconds I was photographing the wrong bald, old, familiar looking monk in orange and red robes with glasses, and then I realized I hadn't been photographing the Dalai Lama. Luckily a hole opened up in the crowd (that Secret Service said would not be in our way at all) and I found him and got a few good shots.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Marvelous set of images!!! You nailed these! Congratulations on the opportunity.........I think you are worthy of the offer! Can't wait to see the portraits! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited October 24, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Marvelous set of images!!! You nailed these! Congratulations on the opportunity.........I think you are worthy of the offer! Can't wait to see the portraits! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks but they're not portraits :D
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Wow, nice set.
    schmoo wrote:
    I am loving the dude in the traditional armor and the digital camera around his neck! lol3.gif

I started to think he'd taken just a little too much flak from us Canon users!
    edited October 24, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Wow, nice set.

I started to think he'd taken just a little too much flak from us Canon users!
    I felt kind of dirty taking his picture with a canon rolleyes1.gif
  • HaskHask Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2007
    Pathfinder isn't the only family member giving you praise
    I thought I'd take a chance to congratulate you on the amazing pics. I can't believe you got the chance to take these photographs. Awesome job bud!!!:D
    edited October 24, 2007
    Hask wrote:
    I thought I'd take a chance to congratulate you on the amazing pics. I can't believe you got the chance to take these photographs. Awesome job bud!!!:D
    Thank you very much
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Very impressive!!! I love them all, I especially love the one of the child yawning... :)
  • howbouchahowboucha Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    From a fellow hoosier, and a friend of Pathfinders, excellent job. That is an incredible opportunity, and I was hoping someone on here got it. Truely a once in a lifetime opportunity. The one with Mark and Mellencamp is priceless. He will eat that one up.
    Brendan
    I like to take pictures :)

My SmugMug site: http://www.purplepug.com
    My V-Strom Site: http://www.stromtrooper.com
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    Very impressive!!! I love them all, I especially love the one of the child yawning... :)

Terrific pictures clap.gif & what an opportunity!! I think the capture of the little child yawning is my favorite!! :D The man with the Nikon around his neck is great rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 25, 2007
    howboucha wrote:
    From a fellow hoosier, and a friend of Pathfinders, excellent job. That is an incredible opportunity, and I was hoping someone on here got it. Truely a once in a lifetime opportunity. The one with Mark and Mellencamp is priceless. He will eat that one up.
    Brendan
    You don't want to hear his nickname around the newsroom :D It'll make that picture even more funny.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Nice. You had a golden opportunity and you nailed it. You're going far my friend.
    edited October 26, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    Nice. You had a golden opportunity and you nailed it. You're going far my friend.
    If that's a golden opportunity, then my platinum one is tomorrow at 8 in the morning during the private shoot :ivar
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    If that's a golden opportunity, then my platinum one is tomorrow at 8 in the morning during the private shoot :ivar
    I expect a full set of your shots up in a thread for us to oogle over no later than Monday morning!

:whip

:D
    edited October 26, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I expect a full set of your shots up in a thread for us to oogle over no later than Monday morning!

:whip

:D
    I'll see what can do, but after all the last minute plan changes this week and running around doing things, I may use Sunday night to catch up on sleep (Saturday night will be spent catching up on working at Jimmy John's cause I spent more than I planned when I bought a UV filter for my new lens, an omni bounce, and then I mailed 7 copies of the paper to various family members. I spent upwards of 50 bucks in about 20 minutes :D)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Great work loved the shots
    thanks for sharing ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    great shots and I am very jealous.....next month I get to met with a student of H.H. Dalai Lama for a a class and empowerment in Kansas City, but that isn't the Dalai Lama so I will still be jealous......:D

Again FANTASTIC PHOTOSbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 28, 2007
    Well, needless to say, my photoshoot with the Dalai Lama was too good to be true. Either the woman who set it up had no idea what she was doing, or the state department screwed up.

But my private shoot didn't happen. Not only that, but when it was brought to her attention that her attitude and behavior Saturday morning was completely unprofessional, she went on a rant about how there was TONS of press there (there wasn't) and she was doing us a huge favor by even allowing us to come (we were invited, and told we were the only press to be invited). She said we should be happy that we were given such a great opportunity (the event was cancelled, and we weren't even going to be let in in the first place, until we started talking to the State Department ourselves, because she caved when they talked to her).

So I didn't really get anything spectacular.