Options

My home made snoot - I

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited November 21, 2007 in Technique
I have been reading a lot about flash photography latelly and - following some ideias I have seen in Strobist, photography and design 101, Lighting Modes, this one from a compatriot and others - I decided to "cook" my first home made snoot.
1. First I collect an empty white plastic bottle from laundry detergent.
2. I have cut it's bottom and top.
3. I have covered it with reflective tape or otherway it would lose too much light to the sides.
4. I cut little pieces of straws which were stolen in the cafeteria :D
5. I taped them together.
6. I joined them in a kind of circle and slided them inside my snoot.
7. I went to the garage and made two shots:
7. a. No snoot, bare flash
7. b. With my home made snoot

I was some 4/5 meters from the garage door using the 16-35mm set on 16mm on the 20D (or was it on the 350D ?).

I don't care about the quality of the photos herewith, not now.:wink

We can see that it concentrates the light.
However I can see that its end is too wide and it spreads the light too much.
I am on the way to make a better and simpler one.
215162208-S.jpg215161626-S.jpg215161347-S.jpg
215161456-M.jpg215161008-M.jpg
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 30, 2007
    I found this vendor makes an interesting snoot for a speedlite for those who are not do it yourselfers.

It packs flat also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Antonio,

If you just want to buy a cheap kit for this, the Strobist has a link to a vendor that has this very "kit" for sale. About $10.00 US I think.

Go to the strobist site and search for "black straws".
    Randy
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    If you make a snoot out of white material, your spot will have broad soft edges. A snoot made from black material (i.e. black straws) will give you a much tighter spot. There is room for both depending on what you want for your shot.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Doesn't the honeycomb that tightens the light make this a grid?

I'm under the distinct impression that a snoot only acts like a barn door on all sides. WHen you add the straws, its a grid..headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Jon, I am sure you are technically correctthumb.gif:D:D

• Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I found this vendor makes an interesting snoot for a speedlite for those who are not do it yourselfesr.

It packs flat also.
    I got some samples from David Honl when I approached hom about writing a product review. I jsut got them in the mail yesterday. They look REALLY cool. I can't wait to put them through the motions. I'll post a product review when I'm done.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Doesn't the honeycomb that tightens the light make this a grid?

I'm under the distinct impression that a snoot only acts like a barn door on all sides. WHen you add the straws, its a grid..headscratch.gif

A honeycomb is just a cluster of little snoots. The angular dispersion of the light is 2*arctan(radius/length). You can tighten up the spot either by increasing the length or decreasing the radius. A spot grid reduces the radius to give you a tigher spot with a shorter length tube.

As an example, if you build a 10cm long spot grid out of 4mm straws you will get an angular dispersion of around 4.5 degrees. To get the same angular dispersion with a 4cm diameter tube would require a 1m long snoot.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    A honeycomb is just a cluster of little snoots. The angular dispersion of the light is 2*arctan(radius/length). You can tighten up the spot either by increasing the length or decreasing the radius. A spot grid reduces the radius to give you a tigher spot with a shorter length tube.

As an example, if you build a 10cm long spot grid out of 4mm straws you will get an angular dispersion of around 4.5 degrees. To get the same angular dispersion with a 4cm diameter tube would require a 1m long snoot.
    *fevereshly taking notes
    That is good stuff!
    Thanks LA!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thank you all for commenting.
    All very usefull.

Boys and girls, you are missing the greatest part of the think:
    the fun and pleasure it returns to make your own snoot/grid.

rolleyes1.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Antonio, I even got the straws with my Strobist basic kit, but I confess, I did not put it together.

I bought the very nice snoot from the link I posted - it stores completely flat, is silver inside, black vinyl leather outside, and attaches firmly with a velcro keeper. Less than $20 for the short one.ne_nau.gif

I am glad you enjoyed gluing straws togetherwings.gif

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    why would I need/want one of these? What do you use it for?ne_nau.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Antonio, I even got the straws with my Strobist basic kit, but I confess, I did not put it together.

I bought the very nice snoot from the link I posted - it stores completely flat, is silver inside, black vinyl leather outside, and attaches firmly with a velcro keeper. Less than $20 for the short one.ne_nau.gif

BTW Pathfinder, thanks for the link. I have been looking for those speed straps for a while so I bought a couple. Hopefully will be here in a few days. I probably will buy more there as he has interesting products and reasonable prices. I already had built a large foamy based on the design on Chuck Gardner's site. I just could never get it secured properly. The speed straps seem like just the trick. Had I not already built the large foamy reflector I probably would have bought his. I may get one yet to use a a gobo but I have a fair bit of fun foam left so maybe I get the glue out instead...

Thanks for the link,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Just make it longer . .
    . . with longer straw sections, and your spot will be tighter. Also, I'd worry about getting some really strange color temperature from all the little stripes on those straws.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    why would I need/want one of these? What do you use it for?ne_nau.gif

To create shadows, or an absence of light.thumb.gif

Photographs are "drawings made with light" and contrast control is a key element in a scene. Think of a theatre production on a living stage, and how spotlights and shadows are used to create drama by the director.

The same thing can be done by a savvy photographer. A snoot might be used to light only the eyes, and not the hair or the mouth for instance. A snoot gives greater control where the flash goes and does not go, just like on a movie set. They're cheap toothumb.gif

• Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    dmmattix wrote:
    BTW Pathfinder, thanks for the link. I have been looking for those speed straps for a while so I bought a couple. Hopefully will be here in a few days. I probably will buy more there as he has interesting products and reasonable prices. I already had built a large foamy based on the design on Chuck Gardner's site. I just could never get it secured properly. The speed straps seem like just the trick. Had I not already built the large foamy reflector I probably would have bought his. I may get one yet to use a a gobo but I have a fair bit of fun foam left so maybe I get the glue out instead...

Thanks for the link,

Mike
    I received my snoot within a weeks time I believe. I paid via PayPal.

I use the big foamie diffuser too, and fixing it to the flash has always been a pain. I found some velcro wrap bands, about 3/8th in wide, and 8 or 10 inches long that do the trick for me.

His wrap straps are appealing also though. And the price is reasonable.

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Heh, I just bought some black posterboard like stuff to make a snoot and gobo. I'm not a DIY'er so I'll probably end up buying what Pathfinder linked.
    Thanks!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    If your going to DIY. You really don't need to buy anything. Just google "DIY Snoot" an you'll have tons of ways to do it w/ things you already own.

Here's a sneak peak at the Dave Honl snoot. I put it through the motions last night and had a blast doing it. There were a few things I was a bit picky about. You can wait to read that after I write up the product review on the 6" snoot, 8" snoot and barn doors. There are a few things that seperate this from it's DIY counterpart (which I have quite a few if those already that I'll keep in case these grow legs..)

What you see in this image is the 8" snoot and the speedlight band that fits onto the flash. I'll admit the whole setup is simple yet pretty ingenius.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Now don't tell me you didn't like the Honl snoot:D

You could make a soda straw grid to fit inside his snoot I bet too, since it velcros together....

• Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

You could make a soda straw grid to fit inside his snoot I bet too, since it velcros together....

Indeed, indeed Jim. :D

A snoot like this with black long straws inside ...
    Simple yet pretty ingenius, yes. Very KISS !:D

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

rolleyes1.gifbarb
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

I like it a ton!
    Since I got to test his gear for an equipment review. I'm not going to pull any punches and give an honest critique.
    I don't want to recommend a piece of photo gear w/o providing full disclosure on my thoughts of the gear.

BTW I'd definately recomend his gear!mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    Honl lighting product review
    Hey guys n gals. I finally made up a product review on the David Honl lighting gear I said I was going to write.

Link.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I ordered the Honl long snoot and the gobo after seeing Jon's original recommendation. I used the long snoot on this shot.
    With a flash to my left and one to my right to raise the room brightness, I still needed to brighten the woman and cat. A third flash would not work, as it created harsh shadows behind her. Because the 3rd flash was so far away from her, I used the long snoot and aimed it at her and the dark cat. It illuminated them both, but did not spill past them onto the wall. It did the trick.

Just one example of the need for a snoot. And Jon, thanks for writing the review. It works well, as you said. Jim

219378701-O.jpg

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    Well, Antonio, we've all gone and completely hijacked your thread.

I recently bought a large bottle of Cyano-acrylic Crazy glue, and I am going to get my own home-made snoot with grid fabricated some time this winter when it is too cold to go outside.

• Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I'm sorry Antonio, didn't mean to do that.

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    If anyone would be accepting of a thread hijack, it would be Antonio. :D He's very easy to get along with!

Sorry about that antonio, I just wanted to post the link where I knew it was mentioned before.

Cheers!
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    Since we're hijacking anyway
    pathfinder wrote:
    I recently bought a large bottle of Cyano-acrylic Crazy glue, and I am going to get my own home-made snoot with grid fabricated some time this winter when it is too cold to go outside.
    Crazy glue has a polymer that dissolves quite a few types of plastics. Do a test run before you commit to the project and have a huge pile of melted plastic madness!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

Jim. I am happy you hijacked my theard clap.gif

I have made a snoot myself.
    Look: Just a A4 sheet of paper and some black strwa I glued with tape like I did the pther time.
    Now the snoot, later - in some hours - the test.
    220665284-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Crazy glue has a polymer that dissolves quite a few types of plastics. Do a test run before you commit to the project and have a huge pile of melted plastic madness!

I got two different types from the local hobby shop. It is branded with the hobby shops name, and it is a local ( non-chain) mom&pop store, so who knows?ne_nau.gif But it is supposed to be plastic safe.

I'll do a trial run, before committing hari kari with it:D

I did also purchase the spray-on activator which hardens the Crazy Glue immediately. The airplane model builders all use it. I used to have to pin balsa parts together, and then wait for the glue to dry. No more - position, spray, move on to the next step. Model building is much faster due to the use of spray activator for cyano-acrylic glues like Crazy Glue.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    Jim. I am happy you hijacked my thread clap.gif

When I wrote about the hijack I was only writing only to PF because I couldn't see ne_nau.gif the others threads.
    Now that I have, I want to thank you all for having hijacked the thread because everybody earned something with that procedure.
    clap.gifD