Options

My home made snoot - I

2»

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I have built my own snoot (let's call it so for the sake of simplicity) with a sheet of A4 paper.
    1. I have glued it with scotch tape (hope I make myself understand) at the size of the flash.
    2. I have scotched the black straws all together as I have done before as seen in the beginning of this thread.
    3. I then cut the straws in two sizes as you can see in the picture under (it is a lauzy picture I know but it is pretty good for this purpose)

Today my mother in law is 84 and the mothers came to eat at my home.
    I shot them with the snooze with the 16-35 as a test shot that I want to share with you.
    It is not perfect, no. It is only a first and quick try.
    I hope tomorrow to be able to photograph a guy playing billiards and I hope to get some big photos.
    Thank you for watching and reading. clap.gif
    222418180-M.jpg
    220665284-M.jpg222417660-M.jpg
    The photo inserted in Nikolai assignment of jewelry was also shot with the snoot.

Here they are in case you have not seen them. The setup and some pictures.
    220702673-M.jpg220664177-M.jpg220662041-M.jpg

My mother is the one on our left. She will also be 84 in a couple of days.mwink.gif
    :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Happy Birthday Mom!

Many more!
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2007
    Solarroll wrote:
    Happy Birthday Mom!

Many more!

Jon :D:D
    Thank you.

You know what ?
    I think people these days lieve too much sometimes.

There are old people living today, without the minimum of dignity for an human being.

In a bad hospital for decades ! Man !... God - if he exists - has not mercy of people.
    I want to die quickly, suddenly. Hope so.

Medicine tends to extend life to infinity and - sometimes - that is not good.
    But this is something we are not supposed to talk here.
    Here is photography and not philosophy of Life.

Have a nice week !:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Philosophy
    I happen to agree with you Antonio. Take it over to "The Big Picture" and we can philosophize all we want!

I just wanted to mention that after reading Jon's blog about his testing of the David Honl flash products I decided I had more money than time, so I ordered a bunch of stuff from Honl. Very nice guy to deal with. Can't wait to try out my inadequate technique with his nice stuff.

I think I'll try making straw bundles to use with Honl's snoots.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    I have used the snoot posted above with the black straws yesterday and I had some difficulties and errors.
    The flash with the snoot was on the tripod and I pointed it towards the young man making manual shots to see the light.
    He was in a position that was set, but during the shooting he moved a bit and the flash did not get it's target.
    Then I got some bad pictures.

You can see that there is a blue spot in the picture caused by the flash.
    The flash is/was too directional. Too straight. It's not good.

I shot this young man yesterday and made 350 photos.
    I got some 6 or 10 really good photos and I post here some.
    I hope you like them.

Oh. I almost forgot to say:

As the light from the bulbs was rather yellowish I used the grey card to balance the whites. This is the reason why the flash came out blue.
    Color temperature in the camera and the flash.

On the other hand and beeing aware of this problem I shot with an orange gel with nice results.
    However, there is some noise because I was at 1600 ISO on the 20D, in spite of the 70-200 on the camera.
    1. 222867828-M.jpg
    2. 222879654-M.jpg
    3. 223237649-M.jpg

On the 1.st one the flash was missing the target.
    The 2.ed and the 3.ed are OK. They have the flash with the gell.

Comments. Comments. :ROFL
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I like the 3rd one best of this series.

A couple comments:

CTO gels never perfectly match the lights. Generally if I am using the strobe on a face, I WB for the gelled strobe rather than the ambient. In fact, my preferred way to shoot under incandescent light is to use a 1/2 CTO gel and WB for that. That will take some, but not all of the warmth out of the light. The other handy thing about this approach is that the gel is always the same color. I figure out the WB for it at home and plug it in as a preset in Lightroom. That way I don't actually have to measure the WB on site.

As for the spread of the spot grid, I cut mine to length to control the size of the spot. With the material I use for making the grid, a 3 inch grid gives me about an 8 degree spot which is really tight. For wider spots I use a 2 inch (12 degree), 1.5 inch (16 degree) or 1 inch (24 degree) grid. They are all useful, but it is the 1.5 inch grid which has earned a permanent spot in my lighting bag.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    Thank you for your comment, Kenn !
    In fact my gell is nothing but a colored paper plastic cover. :D

Nothing sophisticated !
    Cheers :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Since my kids love them

3s5.jpg

Plenty of empty ones laying around. Cut the bottom out and bam instant snoot. Fit perfectly on my 430 EX Have a great night

Joe
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    imax wrote:
    Since my kids love them

3s5.jpg

Plenty of empty ones laying around. Cut the bottom out and bam instant snoot. Fit perfectly on my 430 EX Have a great night

Joe

If washed with much water and soap it looks like a brilliant idea.
  • Options
    rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    imax wrote:
    Since my kids love them

Joe

Holy cow! That's awesome! I just finished making 2 black straw snoots about a week ago as I am avid strobist reader and wanted to try it. But after seeing this I think I'm going to try it.

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Pringles cans are great in a pinch. They're constructed with a spiral design & glue though. So they're not going to hold up in a gear bag like your purchased or homeade versions.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    I am going to make an exception and I am going to eat one packet of those marvelous ships - whatever - and try that soot.clap.gif

I would like you to post here one of your shots with that almost eatable snoot.mwink.gif

Thank you.