ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Chris
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    What are the pros and cons of each?

Other than my Amega's...i started using windows in late '99 & sat there like a stick in the mud refusing to believe anything could do a better job. I bought a mac 6 weeks ago & things have never been better. Honestly i dont know why it took me so long to see what i now see.

There is just too much to explain why i now like a mac but one way would be to just write a list of all the things that annoyed me about PC's ...then with a mac.. i just throw that list in the bin. Thats how much i personally believe mac has it over a PC.

I love my Mac !!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:

Yes, if you're really interested in knowing anything of value about either, then ask specific questions. An open-ended question like that is not only useless, but makes you look like a troll.

We're here to help. But that's just too vague a question to be of any value. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Hey man, I used to use only windows--programmed and everything. built several computers with it and was always falling back on Linux because I'd get frustrated with the instability of the windows kernel and operating system. the only problem I had with Linux was that it was time consuming to make a lot of hardware compatible that would just 'work' with Windows. I always loved the stability and maintenance-freeness of Linux but love the ease-of-use of Windows for most users. I recently switched to Mac OSX and absolutely love it. yeah, i feel like a traitor but heck, it has the ease of use of Windows and the rock-solid stability of a Linux OS (it's based on Unix, upon whin Linux is basically coded).

Anyway, the only advantage that I see in building a PC--and a diminishing one--is the availability of 3rd party hardware when trying to build a super high-end gaming, video, or any other ultra-graphics-intensive system. But if you're not trying to derivate the trajectory of Mars through the galaxy while playing counterstrike in full graphics and coding a 3D animation in the background while having your computer make your breakfast and run the bath for you at the same time while having a conversation with you and doing your honors thesis for you, then don't worry about it (excuse the grammar); 98% of people dont need those capabilities or are not willing to maintain such a system (it's a pain to keep it running).

the hardware that apple uses is for apple only, so all the drivers come from apple and all the warranties come from them too. you are getting a rock-solid, maintenance-free operating system that will never (yes, NEVER) crash on you, whose hardware is covered by only 1 manufacturer (you don't have to deal with different ones say, if you were building your own computer).

The best, I would say, would be to run OSX on a PC.

anyway, sorry to get off topic: OSX beats Windows hands down for speed, reliability, and simplicity.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Dude, you're in Minneapolis? I'm a student at the U. We should go out and shoot some time
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, if you're really interested in knowing anything of value about either, then ask specific questions. An open-ended question like that is not only useless, but makes you look like a troll.

We're here to help. But that's just too vague a question to be of any value. ne_nau.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Better for what? And for whom?
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Oh, goody here we go again. Everyone got fresh firesuits?:hide

Seriously, run a search on any photo forum & you should have several days' worth of reading of discussions (rare), debates, or out-and-out flame wars (common).
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    I dont see that Ducky has a history of starting shit fights. Maybe he is just a 17 year old that had a general question & thought he would ask some more experienced people....it can happen in a forum from time to time you know just as its asked in here every 2nd day RE canon/nikon.

If some one asked me why i chose a particular GM over a particular Ford i dont immediately ask ..'are you refering to a hill climb..shopping with the kids or a 24 hour le mans race'
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    True. they both have their pros and cons. I do know, however, that most serious programers will swear on unix-based operating systems. Windows is very simple to use, but requires much more maintenance (spyware, adware, drivers, security concerns, etc.) than mac osx. osx requires regular updates, as well, but it's not as open to viruses (yet) and spyware/adaware, etc as is windows. Windows Vista looks great, but you need a good amount of RAM to run it smoothly (it takes around 500mb of ram to JUST run, without any programs open), but looks really nice. as far as simplicity and compatibility, it used to be that macs weren't compatible with windows, etc. but that's not the case anymore. you can run windows on a mac and osx on a pc, and have excel, word, etc. for osx. the differences aren't great, but to me they are important. The reason I like OSX is that it never crashes, never freezes, it looks good, its fast, and doesn't have the security concerns of Windows; I never have to reinstall the operating system or maintain it (de-spywawre, adaware, de-fragment, etc. etc.) like windows needs.

Both are good choices, yet i'd get the mac
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

The Duckster is, according to his MySpace page, a 17-yr old boy. That would suggest that this thread is a troll, inasmuch as he already probably already knows more than most of us about the issue.
  • Options
    Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    KED wrote:
    The Duckster is, according to his MySpace page, a 17-yr old boy. That would suggest that this thread is a troll, inasmuch as he already probably already knows more than most of us about the issue.

Ouch =[

Actually I don't really know a lot about anything in particular. I do know a good general amount about a lot of things though. The main reason I asked this I guess was because since this is a photography board I assumed it would be understand I was referring to the use of for digital darkroom stuff.

For example when I went and toured the Minneapolis Art Institute they use Apple's only and whenever I go on other forum's artsy people always say to use a Mac but PC elitists say there is no difference.

Long story short - Why a Mac over a PC for photo/art/design/video/etc. over a PC or is there no real reason just preference?
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    I don't think there is that big of a difference other then a Mac just works. Both platforms offer advantages and disadvantages, I have both. (for now) My Laptop is a PC, but it will be replaced by a Mac in Feb. Why? Because I LOVE my Mac Pro. Like I said, it just works, no anti virus, no major security issues, easy to get around on, FAST!

You can have fast on a PC, but try and run without the Anti Virus stuff and you are in big trouble.... No major updating required, no definitions, nothing, just a working computer that doesn't require you to restart every day....

I REALLY love my Mac, I am buying another for myself, and one for my Mom-in-law, because they just work.

That is worth the premium if you ask me...
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Ouch =[

Actually I don't really know a lot about anything in particular. I do know a good general amount about a lot of things though. The main reason I asked this I guess was because since this is a photography board I assumed it would be understand I was referring to the use of for digital darkroom stuff.

For example when I went and toured the Minneapolis Art Institute they use Apple's only and whenever I go on other forum's artsy people always say to use a Mac but PC elitists say there is no difference.

Long story short - Why a Mac over a PC for photo/art/design/video/etc. over a PC or is there no real reason just preference?

Im just glad there wasnt a noose about the place mate. The lynch mob would have seen you up a tree in 2 mins flat !!

Have a read here...it may shine the light in your direction.

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    ..but PC elitists say...
    Had to laugh at that one. I think you have that backwards - it's usually Mac folks who are termed "elitists". Not that there's anything wrong with that. mwink.gif
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Had to laugh at that one. I think you have that backwards - it's usually Mac folks who are termed "elitists". Not that there's anything wrong with that. mwink.gif

The difference is, of course, that Mac elitists have a reason for their elitism. The PC folks are just stubborn and actually HAVE no reason that their platform is better wings.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    The difference is, of course, that Mac elitists have a reason for their elitism. The PC folks are just stubborn and actually HAVE no reason that their platform is better wings.gif
    Beyond the fact that your machine cost anywhere from 9 - 19K, mine only cost 1300 and it keeps up w/ your machine?

Problem is, there is no absolute.

Cost to performance ratio. It's not even funny how much a PC outweighs a Mac. On the other hand, Macs are PC's superiors in regards to quality and reliability.

So why buy a mac?
    Lower end users that just want to plug things in and work.
    Keeping a consistent work flow from home to work. I sit in front of a Mac & PC and it takes a few minutes to shift gears and a bit longer to really be up to speed. If I worked in an office, it would be a hassle for me to get into the PC mind at night and Mac by day. (This one is crucial to to ppl like graphic designers that work in an Mac environment. Not really ppl that just use Macs to work on as part of their job)
    Life cycle expectancy is much longer.

Why buy a PC?
    Cost to performance ratio is fantastic.
    Software developers flock in droves to open source and MS platforms.
    Multiple hardware and software options keep the market competitive so the consumer wins.

In todays consumer market of "everything expendable" and everyone wanting the latest and greatest. I see apple being more of a designer label than true out performer. I have an old G4 quicksilver that is sitting in my closet and still kicking. Do I use it? No. Sell it? No. I'd only get about 250 out of it and I feel good knowing I have two backup machines in case stuff happens.

So why would I pay for extended life of a machine made up of superior parts? Just doesn't make sense to me. Apple has done a fantastic job creating a culture that consumers feel like they invest in when they buy apple products. They have also done a fantastic job capitalizing on MS's mistakes (and there are plenty to choose from).

Even apple is shifting over to Intel processors. Why? Because they are cheaper and can keep overhead down. Apple knows to stay competitive in this market, they need to lower prices.

I can give an honest objective opinion about this since I work cross platform. And I don't understand why you wouldn't buy a PC unless you didn't understand how to keep your machine out of the crud. If that's the case, Mac is a great choice.

BTW if your talking about performance. Look up at my PC speed in the photoshop benchmark thread. It buries practically every mac on there and I spent a tiny bit less than 1500. To get the Mac equivalent of my machine, you'd need to spend almost 15,000. (I know, I went to the Apple store and built one that could keep up).

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Beyond the fact that your machine cost anywhere from 9 - 19K, mine only cost 1200 and it keeps up w/ your machine?

SYR, you are way off base on your pricing.

Ducky, aside from my natural bias towards Macintosh, when it comes down to your "photo/art/design/video/etc." question, the one area that there is no doubt that Mac kicks PC's ass is video, IMO. Final Cut Studio 2 is unmatched in the PC world. Final Cut Express is equally unmatched, and at $200 is an amazing value. The cost of video systems crashed when FCP entered the market. I know, I worked on Avid for years (professionally), and the systems I was working on were $80-120k for years. FCP came out, and suddenly you could cut on an off-the-shelf computer and a software package that cost about $1k. Avid had to follow suit, and offer cheaper products, and it took a bit for FCP to mature, but now that it has it kicks Avid's butt all over the map, IMO. And, at the free end, iMovie is pretty darn good.

Aside from that, the photo/art/design part of the question, you can do equally well on both, assuming you're OK with the OS you choose and its strengths and weaknesses. There are a handful of photo apps that are available for Windows and not Mac, but if any of those are an issue, then you can just run Vista on your Mac. Oh, and Vista runs faster on a Macbook Pro than any other laptop on the market.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    SYR, you are way off base on your pricing.
    I stand corrected. I just did a quick Google for pricing and came up w/ that. What's a more realistic price for a machine like your friends posted in the benchmark thread?
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh, and Vista runs faster on a Macbook Pro than any other laptop on the market.
    Gotta love the irony..
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    What are the pros and cons of each?
    I've made my living in the world of PCs since 1983, been using them since 1979. MS-DOS, DR-DOS, OS/2, Gopher, ... all the way up to Vista. Used an Apple IIc when they came out, loved NT Advanced Server 3.51, blah, blah, blah.

Even cut my teeth on the PC versions of Adobe Elements LE, Photoshop 6 (up to CS2), Premier...

...and bought a MacBook Pro 15" back in June. No, I don't buy into the Mac's don't get viruses deal; the iPhone has some serious deficencies; I'll wait another 6 months (or 2 sets of bug fixes) to upgrade to Leopard; and I don't think Bill Gates is Satan incarnate.

But the Mac and OSX works. Microsoft missed a great opportunity with Vista and rewriting the kernel, WinFS, and so much more. Now I hear they are going to do all that in the NeXT release. Too late.

Even my corporate end users are now too sophisticated to buy what MS is selling. They yell at ME because of ActiveX Controls and web sites requiring IE 6 or 7, and therefore they can't use Firefox or Safari. Safari? Yep, I have salespeople who use their company issued laptops as who knows what. Because they bought their own MacBooks to use.

OK, it's late, I'm done :soapbox and I still haven't shot my LPS #17 entry.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I stand corrected. I just did a quick Google for pricing and came up w/ that. What's a more realistic price for a machine like your friends posted in the benchmark thread?

Gotta love the irony..

An 8 core is $4k. You go compare that to a Dell, HP, whatever instead of your home built machine, and then we can talk turkey. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    An 8 core is $4k. You go compare that to a Dell, HP, whatever instead of your home built machine, and then we can talk turkey. deal.gif
    4K's not bad for the machine you get.. I really stand corrected! I assume this is for a stripped down machine since ppl can spend up to 20k building one machine at the Mac store?

Not trying to talk turkey David. I already know comparing my homegrown isn't fair. I just like keeping the playing fields a bit more even when mac fanatics start proclaiming Macs to be the holy grail of computers.

It would be a poor decision to buy something like a top end Dell XPS when trying to create a banshee. If your gonna spend the money. You can go to a local geek store and they can build the machine for you at around 2500 that can whoop some serious donkey! No tech knowledge required. It's still not a Mac, I'm just providing an alrternative opinion to the majority's.

I'm a fan of Mac, I just can't afford them at this point of my life.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    Looks like the turkey might talk for itself though.

I went to the Dell & Mac stores to build a "dream machine" *In regards to speed. All extra peripherals were not added.

Mac ((6944.00))
    8 core 3.0 GHz quad core x2
    4GB RAM 1x4
    Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 512MB RAM
    20" display

Dele XPS 720 ((5589.00))
    Intel Core2 QX6800 3.20GHz x2
    4GB RAM 1x4
    Dual 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
    20" Widescreen display (I picked widescreen to keep it the same approximate price as a Apple display)

I'm not debating the fact that Mac's are fantastic machines.
    The person that started this thread was pretty young and it's not likely that he has deep pockets. So bang for the buck (at least from the appearance of it). PC's still have Macs beat out. Of course all those numbers above don't mean anything until you step up to the plate and run some benchmark tests. I've seen some machines that I thought would destroy the test get beat up and vice versa.

-Jon
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Looks like the turkey might talk for itself though.

I went to the Dell & Mac stores to build a "dream machine" *In regards to speed. All extra peripherals were not added.

Mac ((6944.00))
    8 core 3.0 GHz quad core x2
    4GB RAM 1x4
    Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 512MB RAM
    20" display

Dele XPS 720 ((5589.00))
    Intel Core2 QX6800 3.20GHz x2
    4GB RAM 1x4
    Dual 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
    20" Widescreen display (I picked widescreen to keep it the same approximate price as a Apple display)

I'm not debating the fact that Mac's are fantastic machines.
    The person that started this thread was pretty young and it's not likely that he has deep pockets. So bang for the buck (at least from the appearance of it). PC's still have Macs beat out. Of course all those numbers above don't mean anything until you step up to the plate and run some benchmark tests. I've seen some machines that I thought would destroy the test get beat up and vice versa.

-Jon

No. You're comparing 8 cores in the Mac with 4 in the Dell. The Apple that is comparable to the Dell is actually $5646. Buy the RAM from crucial.com, and you'd be at the same exact price point. The video cards are different, and I don't know enough about those to know who's favor that would work in, but the difference at this point is negligible.

EDIT: Benchmarks are fun, but there is a point where they begin to mean less and less and the overall responsiveness of the machine is more important. And you're right, he probably doesn't have the deep pockets for either of these machines....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    Thanks for that David.

I'm not sure I follow you though. Benchmarks to me lend much more weight to how a machine truly performs.
    And I'm not sure what you mean in regards to response time.

If it's not too much of a hijack, care to elaborate? I'll post anther thread if it is.

I don't want to refer to my machine since it's an obvious exception.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    You can have fast on a PC, but try and run without the Anti Virus stuff and you are in big trouble...

Which means that having to run antivirus in the background is essentially a "Windows tax" on the CPU GHz rating.

By the way, Mac people, don't claim that Macs "never crash" or "never get malware." It is possible and it will happen, it's just that the chances are generally much lower on a Mac, and in the case of a virus, much much much lower. I have been a Mac fan for many years and I see my Macs crash. Not often though, and I usually know why. It's usually hardware-related. Apple is not immune to the occasionally bad Samsung OEM RAM stick, a flaky Seagate OEM hard drive resulting in catastrophic data loss, or a buggy USB device driver.

But those crashes are usually not due to the OS itself. If you run solid hardware and drivers, OS X is capable of very long uptimes, and I'm talking not shutting the machine down for weeks at a time. My 7-year-old home entertainment server Mac is on 60 days uptime currently, although I don't ask it to do very much other than iTunes and Safari.

I don't know about Vista, but XP runs pretty solid for me too. The "that other OS crashes" argument is very outdated for both OS X and XP. Better to argue about another point.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 9, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Which means that having to run antivirus in the background is essentially a "Windows tax" on the CPU GHz rating.

It's a pretty low tax, though. I just checked stats on my XP machine, which runs AVG antivirus. In the past 16 hours AVG has consumed all of 11 CPU seconds. People who have problems with anti-virus products usually have screwed up the settings or the installation.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    The cost of the machine is why they are not popular for home computers in Australia. I needed to drop a lot on a new monitor & thought i may as well update the whole computer & try a mac.

When i say cost...this mac im on was $3k & the equiv PC is maybe $2k with the new monitor. For a family with several billy lids & a mortgage , that $1k is a lot.

If the average home dummy user in 0z (like me) could just sit & try a mac then im sure many more would jump to one though. Everything is just so much smoother & less complicated. I will be getting my mum one when she needs a new one thus saving me the hassles i get every time i visit with updating the virus checkers etc etc etc etc.

I can certainly see why RS .. nik & the likes would stick with PC though as the everyday problems that i faced on a PC would be nothing for them to sort out.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks for that David.

I'm not sure I follow you though. Benchmarks to me lend much more weight to how a machine truly performs.
    And I'm not sure what you mean in regards to response time.

If it's not too much of a hijack, care to elaborate? I'll post anther thread if it is.

I don't want to refer to my machine since it's an obvious exception.

Sure. What I'm saying is that benchmarks kinda lose meaning on the faster machines, at least to me. If it takes 7 seconds or 8 or 9 or even 13 seconds to do one of those tests, it's all pretty much the same to me. They're all fast. The other side of what I'm referring to is that what I've always understood to be true is that Apple tunes the OS for overall responsiveness, not in a way that might boost any particular test like our FM test. It's a more balanced approach. I have NO IDEA if there's any truth to that, in regards to Apple, but the logic of it appeals to me. I want my overall system performance to be responsive, not any particular benchmark.

But more importantly, you were not comparing two similar machines. And there is no stripped down Mac Pro, at least not in the same sense as a PC can be stripped down, with a hobbled version of the OS, or inferior parts to the non-stripped down version. Sure, you can add RAM, drives, etc. and I would never add them through the Apple store, I'd get the RAM through Crucial and the drives from Other World Computing, and make an even more inexpensive machine. One that compares well with the Dell, if not beating it, price-wise, and one that is better designed and runs on a better OS. So to say that Apple machines cost 10x what a PC does is just grossly misleading. Sure, you were able to build your own. A corner PC shop could also build a cheaper machine, but Apple is not a corner store, and the exquisite design of the Mac Pro cannot be had in the PC world for any amount of money. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Ouch =[

I TOLD you this kid was good -- 3 pages and counting of spirited, can't-help-ourselves debate. No "ouch" intended, D, I meant what I said -- I have kids your age and younger who can run circles around me on either platform.
  • Options
    Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    KED wrote:
    I TOLD you this kid was good -- 3 pages and counting of spirited, can't-help-ourselves debate. No "ouch" intended, D, I meant what I said -- I have kids your age and younger who can run circles around me on either platform.

S'all good. I understand where your comming from. Some people know cars, other know computers, etc. So after reading you guys I have a few things to say/ask:

1) I will be getting a laptop from my parents for college. My limit is more than likely ~$1K, maybe more if I can use some of my own money. I will be going to school for photojournalism.
    1B)This means I'd more than likely have to get a premade computer.
    2) I like the OS of an Apple because of how smooth and easy it is, plus a lot of the keyboard shortcuts there are.
    3) I've had really bad experience with Dell.
    4) I'd like something with a lot of RAM, I think. I'm a big multitasker and lots of RAM is good for this reason, correct?

What would you guys recommend to get?
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw