Options

Kansas

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
Anyone up for a possible shooting excursion somewhere in Kansas in the next month or so? If so - any ideas on places and times? I am based out of Manhattan, but would be willing to drive somwhere for the day. Just looking for some fellow dgrinners to go shooting with :D.
I am fairly new to Kansas, but some initial thoughts:
Somewhere in the flint hills or possibly some urban shooting in Kansas City, Topeka, or Wichita. I am up for any of it!

Comments

• Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Somewhere in the flint hills or possibly some urban shooting in Kansas City, Topeka, or Wichita. I am up for any of it!

I am in the Kansas City area and I would be interested.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    There is a nature center clsoe to Manhattan that I have been wanting to shoot at....Konza Praire I think it is called and it has a herd if bison there might be nice if there is snow on the ground......KC could be a fun excursion or for that matter the hilly town of Lawrence.....also in and around Tuttle Creek Lake could be fun.......

Swinton: Have you already done all the shooting possible in Aggie Town....now I have not been there in over 15 yrs but it seemed to have a ton of possibilities when I was there delivering concert photos taken in Wichita and also in Manhattan at the Blue River Pub......................

Oh yeah.....I am interested..................................................................................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    Hey sorry it took so long to respond. I am still up for an excursion! Art, I am fairly new to the area so I have certainly not exhausted the possibilities here - in fact I have really only been out seriously shooting for fun in Manhattan maybe once. So, sounds like someone in KC may be interested too. I think all your ideas would be good ones. Any preference on ones that you would want to do? I am available to go mostly on Saturdays. I could do a Friday possibly as well.
    Anyone up for a drive to the Manhattan area? If not we could go to Lawrence - i think it would have some good possibilities. Otherwise I am in KC about once every 6 weeks. What are your schedules like?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    I am wanting to hit the SMOKY HILL BISON COMPANY (close to Salina) also the Konza Praire (if it snows again soon and I can get back on 1shift).....right now car is not running properly think it maybe O2 sensor...going to replce this weekend.
    SO yes I am still interested.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    I am still interested. I am willing to travel to Manhattan, Lawrence or anywhere else in range. Also more than willing to stay around KC if there is something in this area you want to shoot.

Saturdays would be best for me, could do a Sunday if needed.
  • Options
    steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Kansas City...
    Some possiblities for the Kansas City area:
    • Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
    • The Plaza
    I have taken photos at the museum with no problems (except if there is a copyrighted temporary work which only happened to me once and the staff was polite about that). You cannot use flash because of the fire protection system. I don't know about tripods or mono pods but you could call and ask. There is a very worthwhile photographic collection that would be worth the trip all by itself. You can't see the entire museum in one day-- at least I never have (I still have never seen it all). Here is a link to some photos I took last year with just a Canon A520, yours would be far better:
    http://steveandbecky.smugmug.com/gallery/3507474#197903841

There are sculptures and interesting buildings on the Plaza that you might enjoy. You could eat at one of the restaurants and look through some stores also.

My wife and I go to Lawrence once in a while for lunch and shopping (for her) and I take my camera and just snap photos along Massachusetts Street and sometimes in the stores (I always ask first). There are some eagles that fish along the river across from the visitor center in the winter; I have never gotten a good picture of them since I don't have a telephoto lens; not sure if they are always there. The visitor center (the old train station) has a lot of brochures for sight seeing and scenic drives (and a public restroom).

The Konza Prairie is OK if you are around Manhattan. The Manhattan scenic overlook is a nice shot.

Just some thoughts for you.

I could not find time to enjoy that kind of fun, but if the weather was fairly nice you would have a great time.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    Sounds like interest is good. I would be willing to do any/all of these places. Art - let us know when you are able to travel. We could do one shoot out in the salina area, and a shoot in KC. My brother (also a dgrinner - cswinton) is interested in going as well. He lives in KC.

Saturdays are best for me. What saturdays over the next 2 months or so would people be available to go?
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    Begged my boss and will be back on 1st shift in a couple of weeks, and gotta couple of things to get fixed on car and then wil be ready by hopefully mid Feb or so.........

• Options
    edited January 20, 2008
    So mid Feb sometime...

Sounds good.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2008
    Sounds good.

If anyone else is interested in the area, feel free to join!
  • Options
    RBattisRBattis Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Wow, was just brousing through some of the forums and found you guys. I live in Silver Lake, KS (Topeka). I was in KC photographing the lights on the Plaza a few weeks back and hit Konza Prairie last weekend for the first time. Both good suggestions for places to shoot. I posted a few of each on my SmugMug site at www.rbattisphotography.com.

As for the Smoky Hills, Lindsborg is just south of Salina, which is where Jim Richardson's studio is located. As you know he is a long time photographer for National Geographic. We could make that a stop if we head to the Salina area and the Smoky Hills Bison Company.

Most of my Saturdays in February are open, most Sundays are out. I would like to join in if my schedule works with yours.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    Something just hit me like a 2 X 4 to the forehead........I have spent countless hours stalking wild game with camera (and bow/arrow(s) and blk powder 50 cal) and I spent an after noon at Cabelas
    248031744-M.jpg

outside of KC when it first opened with my HP200 1mp cam.....I found that file and opened one file and it then smacked me ........ I need to go to Cabelas and spend at least one full day shooting wildlife.....yeah yeah they are all stuffed but with the correct angles and diligence one can produce almost (if not perfect) outdoorscenes full of animals
    248030460-M.jpg
    248030552-M.jpg
    248030662-M.jpg
    248031218-M.jpg
    248031335-M.jpg
    248031495-M.jpg
    that are not native to the midwest and some from
    as far way as africa
    248030939-M.jpg
    without spending the money to go on Safari.....

and of course the aquarium I have yet to get a "good" shot of
    248031602-L.jpg

There is also a resturant with all the exotic meats and such but kinda exotic prices also:D

Just another thought for the KC area

• Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Begged my boss and will be back on 1st shift in a couple of weeks, and gotta couple of things to get fixed on car and then wil be ready by hopefully mid Feb or so.........

Art, are you back on first now?

I am looking forward to getting out and doing some shooting soon...
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    TPBinKC wrote:
    I am looking forward to getting out and doing some shooting soon...

Me too!
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    There is a nice scenic overlook type stop along Bill Snyder Highway between Manhattan and I-70 that is nice at sunset. I think there are a couple of nice windmills around that area also? Colbert Hills golf course is also a very scenic area on the west side of Manhattan. Go Cats!!!
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2008
    Just got my first paycheck that had more than 20hrs....had a terrible bronchial infection for over a month and it finally put me into bed for the last 3 weeks of Feb.....

So we can try for a get out and shoot on the 30th (Sunday)..SAt. is off for me due to Circ du Soliel (gonna try to sneak in the A2) and then can leave early Sunday morn for Manhattan hopefully arrive their before 10 am....need to look at map for fast but scenic route from ICT to Manhattan......

Is this good for anyone else???????

• Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    From my counting I see there were 6 of us interested in getting together for a Sunday shoot....as I posted earlier... I am pretty sure this Sunday (March 29) is good for me.....now if it is raining or such then I would not drive up from ICT but if the weather is good I would be interested in doing a shoot with whomever is in the Manhattan or willing to travel to Manhattan area....I think Tuttle Creek Lake is just out side...the Konza Praire is pretty near also and of course there is the sights of Aggie Town for street shoot and of course.....
    Dang just re-read this thread....if Saturdays are best for MR. Swinton....then the first or 2nd Saturday of April as it looks right now...this Saturday I am going to Circ du Soliel here in ICT but am ready for a Sunday Drive for photos.......let me know what you all decide...

For some crazy reason I thought Sundays were the choice of Mr Swinton...musta been that I was not getting off work til Saturday moren and Sunday was my actual day off.......

• Options
    edited March 24, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    For some crazy reason I thought Sundays were the choice of Mr Swinton...musta been that I was not getting off work til Saturday moren and Sunday was my actual day off.......

Sunday was best for me but I am not restricted to it. I can do some saturdays or even a day during the week once in awhile.

I can do this Saturday if we know pretty quickly and if I am done early enough for me to get back to KC by 1700.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2008
    Hey guys - let me see what I can do with my schedule and get back to you asap.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Decided I needed to get some stuff to get my remodel going in the right direction this weekend.....So how about the weekend of.....April 12 or 13.....I can do either Saturday or Sunday.......which ever is best for everyone.......

• Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Decided I needed to get some stuff to get my remodel going in the right direction this weekend.....So how about the weekend of.....April 12 or 13.....I can do either Saturday or Sunday.......which ever is best for everyone.......

I can not do that weekend at all. Daughters birthday party one day and other commitments for the other.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    I can't do that weekend either - I have a whole weekend photo job in another state. I am sorry...
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    NOT doing any remodel work this weekend..typing slowly....broke trigger finger at work....yup that is correct the shutter release finger, right index has great bif ugly plastic splint on it for at least 2 weeks but if i can swing it with out splint I could do next weekend....possibly or the 3 rd weekend of april........

You guys call it as it will be easier for me to come up .......

hope fully we will have good weather also thsi weekend is suppose to be kind rainy.........

• Options
    edited March 29, 2008
    Anyone available on the 26th of April? I could do some other days in april as well, but I am pretty sure that day is currently available.
  • Options
    RBattisRBattis Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Currently I am free on April 26th. What location are we looking at?
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Anyone available on the 26th of April? I could do some other days in april as well, but I am pretty sure that day is currently available.

I'm free on the 26th as well! (SP knows how often that happens.. :ivar )
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2008

As of right now I can do the 26th also........now you all decide wjat we are gonna shoot....:D ..........

• Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    I can not join you on the 26th. Race weekend at Kansas Speedway and I should be there both days.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    IS IT A GO FOR THE 26th of APRIL
    Are we going a head for mini Shootout in MANHATTAN ......Ks that is on APRIL 26........I need to updatre my GOOGLE calendar if so.......Where shouild we meet and what time.......time is my main concern as I may have to drive up Friday and find a care taker for my Blk Lab for the day (and that is not hard)........
    So who all is in: Swinton Photo, StevL, RBattis,KWCrow, CSwinton and MySelf

• Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Hey Jonathan,

One of my favorite photographers is there in Kansas City. Maybe send him an invite.

Here is Eric's site.

I'm not sure how to post his, but also hard to narrow it down to 2 or 3 favorites.