Options

i sold my 1Ds Mark II

Comments

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Hmmmm,sumtins not right.I have been shooting only raw since the Drebel days.I find the 20D a lot sharper before any postne_nau.gif
    Shot over 11,000 raw files with the 1D M2 and I have worked my butt off to sharpen the files.3 different raw convertors and several sharpening methods.

Get a real camera like the D2X thumb.gif
    clap.gif

I'm wondering who got it..they sure are keeping quiet!
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Get a real camera like the D2X thumb.gif
    clap.gif

No thanks,I would rather use my Sony:D
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    No thanks,I would rather use my Sony:D

Well then buy ME the D2X rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

all i can say is

2yso9bgde.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    I'm not sure if I should feel better about my 20D, because I truly respect your talent, or that I should worry that you suffer from multiple photgrapher personality disorder.:D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    andy, don't be so hasty, sounds to me like you need both and an IR Rebel!
    Now that you've got someoneone to carry your bags what does it matter ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    andy, don't be so hasty, sounds to me like you need both and an IR Rebel!
    Now that you've got someoneone to carry your bags what does it matter ne_nau.gif

workin on that :D
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Just wondering...
    ...Was the difference in size (physical dimensions and weight) a factor in returning to the 20D?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...Was the difference in size (physical dimensions and weight) a factor in returning to the 20D?

somewhat, though as waxy says, i knew what i was getting into....
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    So, I'm still left wondering what exactly it was about the 1dsmkii that you didn't like as much as the 20d? Why exactly did you feel uncomfortable with it? Too big and heavy? Too conspicious? Too expensive? Wanted to reclaim some working capital? Hard to get used to the controls? Giant images made the workflow awkward?

Like PF, I have both 1Dmkii and 20D. I find myself always reaching for the 1Dmkii. I like the larger sensor, speed, fosusing, and exposure systems much better than the 20D's. Yes, I really wish it was smaller and lighter. But I hauled the damn thing up more than one mountain in Utah instead of bringing the 20D and I'm glad I did. So I'm a satisfied customer.

So, I'm really still curious. Maybe it's just fun for Andy to buy and sell cameras and feel something new in his hands. Sort of the opposite of Cartier-Bresson who only changed once during the most creative years of his career.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    I hate to speak for Andy... but I will. naughty.gif

Everything Andy says comes back to one thing: street shooting. He walks with his camera in hand, ready to make pictures on short notice. For this, a light, relatively inconspicuous camera with a wide angle, unobtrusive and lightweight lens is the perfect tool. If the same camera is good enough to also handle landscapes, portraits and occasional studio work, then it's the perfect tool. The 1DsmkII is relatively cumbersome and draws attention to itself, compared to the 20D.

I understand Andy's decision, given the style of shooting that he engages in most.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    So, I'm still left wondering what exactly it was about the 1dsmkii that you didn't like as much as the 20d? Why exactly did you feel uncomfortable with it? Too big and heavy? Too conspicious? Too expensive? Wanted to reclaim some working capital? Hard to get used to the controls? Giant images made the workflow awkward?

Like PF, I have both 1Dmkii and 20D. I find myself always reaching for the 1Dmkii. I like the larger sensor, speed, fosusing, and exposure systems much better than the 20D's. Yes, I really wish it was smaller and lighter. But I hauled the damn thing up more than one mountain in Utah instead of bringing the 20D and I'm glad I did. So I'm a satisfied customer.

So, I'm really still curious. Maybe it's just fun for Andy to buy and sell cameras and feel something new in his hands. Sort of the opposite of Cartier-Bresson who only changed once during the most creative years of his career.

rutt, as i have mentioned many times, i do not regret for one second buying the 1Ds Mark II. i'm a happy satisfied customer. i knew all about the size, weight, ergos, and file sizes before i bought it. so why did i switch? the 20d is *that* good. for my shooting needs, the 20d is a far better choice. yes, the size is better for me. so's the weight. ergos? the 1Ds Mark II has just fine ergos. working capital? heck, according to charles i have money to burn, so that's not it. honestly , for my street, situational work, the 20d is better suited. i've previously stated that if i did the majority of my work in 'podded landscapes, and in-studio, i'd have kept the 1Ds Mark II. anyhow, i'm really happy with the 20d and my new 24L. the one thing i *have* kept constant, john, is my focal range

now, just wait - canon in one year's time will come out with a ff sensor in the 20d body - hooboy i'll be all over that like white on rice lol3.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    now, just wait - canon in one year's time will come out with a ff sensor in the 20d body - hooboy i'll be all over that like white on rice lol3.gif

It will give Canon an interesting dilemma, even if it is not a FF, what to call the next 20D, a 30D. There is already enough confusion out there with the ID of DSLRs, what will they give us, 30D seems way to close to D30 for me, skip straight ahead to a 40D? ear.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    It will give Canon an interesting dilemma, even if it is not a FF, what to call the next 20D, a 30D. There is already enough confusion out there with the ID of DSLRs, what will they give us, 30D seems way to close to D30 for me, skip straight ahead to a 40D? ear.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

i don't give a horse's patoot - just call it *mine* lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i don't give a horse's patoot - just call it *mine* lol3.gif

20D mk andy deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    OK, I guess I'm never really going to get it, but that doesn't really matter. How about this question for the master. Andy, I'm trying to improve me street shooting. I have both 1Dmkii and 20D, but never really use my 20D (my son uses it a lot, though, so it isn't gathering dust.) I have a 16-40 f2.8L, so I can get pretty wide with my 20D. Should I be trying that more?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    OK, I guess I'm never really going to get it, but that doesn't really matter. How about this question for the master. Andy, I'm trying to improve me street shooting. I have both 1Dmkii and 20D, but never really use my 20D (my son uses it a lot, though, so it isn't gathering dust.) I have a 16-40 f2.8L, so I can get pretty wide with my 20D. Should I be trying that more?

the camera doesn't really matter imo. i saw a guy on friday street shooting with a rolleiflex tlr... there's alot to be said for "f/8 and be there," right? the 20d is a bit more blendy than the 1D Mk 2 you have... 90% of my street work in the past year was done with the 16-35L and a 10d or 20d. but mostly, it's just preference, john - if you are comfy with the bigger body, then carry it :) and yeah, put that 16-35 onboard, or even better yet, buy the 35L - that's 45mm on the 1Dmk2, a great FL for street work.

all this said, take that 20d out for a week, and see if your missing anything. image quality-wise, i don't think you'll see a difference.

cheers
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Wouldn't that be sweet? I've had my ears open and from what I can tell here is what's on the jungle drums for Canon in the next product cycle or so.
    1. Unfied high end. A fast full frame camera in the EOS1 sized body. This will replace both 1d and 1ds lines. Probably improved resolution over the 1Dsmkii and faster even than the 1Dmkii. Other goals for this project are improved dynamic range, low light performance, and automatic dust control (ala Oly?)
    2. At least keep up with Nikon in the low and middle range. I guess that means a 10mp+ sensor for the X0D cameras in the fall or next spring. It probably depends on Nikon. Sensor size will stay the same to accomadate those special lenses.
    3. I've heard some speculation about a EOS 3 based pro camera. Maybe this would be the place for a full frame sensor in a smaller package. I don't think there is as much real info behind this speculation as the first two.
    In the longer term, it's a certainty that there will be a full frame sensor on a smaller body. But Canon will do this when it suites their own marketing.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the camera doesn't really matter imo. i saw a guy on friday street shooting with a rolleiflex tlr... there's alot to be said for "f/8 and be there," right? the 20d is a bit more blendy than the 1D Mk 2 you have...
    cheers

blendy?
    Is this something about image quality or something about how well I'll blend into the landscape with a smaller camera? Or something else?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    20D mk andy deal.gif

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:

blendy?
    Is this something about image quality or something about how well I'll blend into the landscape with a smaller camera? Or something else?
    I suspect that as you do more street shooting involving people, you'll gain a new appreciation for what Andy's talking about. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:

blendy?

blendy as in less "in yer face." not that it's a huge difference, it just feels better to me. certainly i got some really cool street shots done with my 1Ds Mark II....

i don't aim for "sneaky" though. i just like to be part of the scene without being obvious.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    blendy as in less "in yer face." not that it's a huge difference, it just feels better to me. certainly i got some really cool street shots done with my 1Ds Mark II....

i don't aim for "sneaky" though. i just like to be part of the scene without being obvious.
    Sneaky sounds good to me. That Roliflex might have been good that way. My little Pentax Option X is pretty sneaky, but not fast enough to really work for this purpose.

I like to remember that HCB took all those great street shots with a completely manual film camera that didn't even have lever wind. He must have been fast with that thing. I'd love to have seen him use it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Sneaky sounds good to me. That Roliflex might have been good that way. My little Pentax Option X is pretty sneaky, but not fast enough to really work for this purpose.

I like to remember that HCB took all those great street shots with a completely manual film camera that didn't even have lever wind. He must have been fast with that thing. I'd love to have seen him use it.
    He was sneaky, IIRC. He'd hide his camera until the last second, changing the settings by feel, then whip out the camera at the 'decisive moment.'
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    He was sneaky, IIRC. He'd hide his camera until the last second, changing the settings by feel, then whip out the camera at the 'decisive moment.'
    Hard to do that with a 1Dx Mark II or even 20D, eh? I wonder what the Los Altos police would have done with him? French and all...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Hard to do that with a 1Dx Mark II or even 20D, eh? I wonder what the Los Altos police would have done with him? French and all...
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

I should have named it the

20D mk $andy$

and given it some bling-bling. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I should have named it the

20D mk $andy$

and given it some bling-bling. rolleyes1.gif

yes. because according to some, it would seem that i've got money to burn! lol3.gif

16540565-L.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes. because according to some, it would seem that i've got money to burn! lol3.gif

wave.gif I've got a fire place for rent. deal.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:

16540565-L.gif
    *some* *SOME* ???? rolleyes1.gifroflAndy you are a riot!

On a serious note. What settings on a 1DmkII does one tweak to get the same results as a 20D? Is it just the case that the 20D is set with higher sharpening to please consumers? Secondly, I am considering picking up a lightweight canon dslr with a 1.6 or 1.5 sensor to leave semi-permanently attached to the 500 f/4L IS. Will I be satisfied with the aiservo focus speed of the 20D or the 350xt?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph