Options

i sold my 1Ds Mark II

13»

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    *some* *SOME* ???? rolleyes1.gifroflAndy you are a riot!

On a serious note. What settings on a 1DmkII does one tweak to get the same results as a 20D? Is it just the case that the 20D is set with higher sharpening to please consumers? Secondly, I am considering picking up a lightweight canon dslr with a 1.6 or 1.5 sensor to leave semi-permanently attached to the 500 f/4L IS. Will I be satisfied with the aiservo focus speed of the 20D or the 350xt?

:cool

16540565-L.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    :cool

rolleyes1.gif
    Yeah yeah.... I know but my choice will be cast in stone. I will not have the opportunity to redo it. :cry
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    *some* *SOME* ???? rolleyes1.gifroflAndy you are a riot!

On a serious note. What settings on a 1DmkII does one tweak to get the same results as a 20D? Is it just the case that the 20D is set with higher sharpening to please consumers? Secondly, I am considering picking up a lightweight canon dslr with a 1.6 or 1.5 sensor to leave semi-permanently attached to the 500 f/4L IS. Will I be satisfied with the aiservo focus speed of the 20D or the 350xt?

chas the 20d has many parm settings. you can set color, contrast, sharpening from -2 to +2. you can set adobe rgb or srgb. the 1dmk 2 has similar variables, yes? i had the 1ds mark 2 set to produce jpgs along with my raws that looked just like those that came from my 20d.

the 20d also has a bw mode, giving a bw with variable sharpness, contrast, and even filtering (yellow, blue, red, sepia) along with the full color raw file.

the 20d has excellent ai servo capabilities. take a look in the sports forum, will ya?

nobody on dgrin's posted any 350xt shots, you can be the first deal.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the 20d also has a bw mode, giving a bw with variable sharpness, contrast, and even filtering (yellow, blue, red, sepia) along with the full color raw file.
    Wow a camera that shoot in B&W. What will they think of next? biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Wow a camera that shoot in B&W. What will they think of next? biggrinbounce2.gif
    It's the latest thing, tres chic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    It's the latest thing, tres chic.

sid - i'm trying to get k&s to add a 14L to my rental list for yosemite, in addition to the 500 prime i've already reserved. *that* 14mmL lens, i'd try out before i bought it. i think canon's sold about 7, worldwide lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    sid - i'm trying to get k&s to add a 14L to my rental list for yosemite, in addition to the 500 prime i've already reserved. *that* 14mmL lens, i'd try out before i bought it. i think canon's sold about 7, worldwide lol3.gif
    Cool. And great idea about renting in SF. I bought me a used 15mm fisheye for fun in the woods.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    Will I be satisfied with the aiservo focus speed of the 20D or the 350xt?
    No. I know you and I know both the 20D and the 1Dmkii. 20D is great, but not compared to the 1Dmkii in this particular respect. Generally, 20D AF is pretty crude compared to 1Dmkii. The AF point selection algorithm is very simple, just choose the closest in-focus point. People who normally use this camera often just set it up for center AF. As you know I have my 1Dmkii set up so the WB button sets to center AF, but normally use the full blown 45 point thing which works about 70% of the time.

20D is great. But I always reach for my 1Dmkii, even when it seems like a really dumb choice (back country skiing).

This choice of camera equipment is a lot like the choice of sports equipment. There is no pair of skis that's going to make me ski like Bodie Miller. And no pair of skis that will cripple him to the point where he skis like me. But a new pair of skis can be really fun. And comparing different skis can also be a blast. In the end, in order to be the best skier I can be, I have to be comfortable with my skis, they have to do what I expect them to do. It seems like Andy is just more comfortable with the 20D than the 1Dsmkii. I am going to try my 20D more for street shooting. "Blendy" is good. But I'll miss a lot of things about the 1Dmkii.
    If not now, when?