edited January 7, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Don't have anything better for now, so here it goes

Sunset Run

239024866-XL.jpg
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Nik, nice picture and good concept, but it just doesn't do it for me. Seems like something is missing.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Picture is good from a technical viewpoint, great colors & clarity, but the capture of the movement seems unnatural and awkward.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Thanks, guys!thumb.gif
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Nik, All I can say is that I wish I had something this bad to enter ;-) This is an amazing photo. I love it. The action may ba a bit static for the topic, but a great photo anyway.

Cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    edited January 3, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    Nik, All I can say is that I wish I had something this bad to enter ;-) This is an amazing photo. I love it. The action may ba a bit static for the topic, but a great photo anyway.

Cheers/Peter
    Thanks, Peter! thumb.gif
    You know me, I'm always subtle mwink.gif
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Unique Running Attire :D

Nice photograph........
    edited January 3, 2008
    imax wrote:
    Unique Running Attire :D

Nice photograph........
    yeah, it was a family Xmas beach walk... lol3.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Great range of colors on the subject. Would loved to have seen more of her reflection in the sand, rather than the surf. That aside, lovely photo.
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    I wish I had something this bad to enter ;-) This is an amazing photo. I love it.
    Peter

15524779-Ti.gif Wonderful image.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    I too really quite like this image. It is the colors and sand that I am drawn to the most. I tend to agree that the running pose is slightly awkward. What my eye gets drawn to the most in this image is the bright area at the top, I keep wondering if it's fog or just brightness.
    From the waves down is what I like the most.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Nik....
    Any way to get out for a reshoot? The colors are great. The running part isn't. My one suggestion (as in my mind's eye) would be her running full bore legs outstretched with at least one leg in the air (more than 2 inches) as you pan. The combination of a very slight motion blur with those colors in conjunction with a perfectly in focus runner would be "THE" shot.

Just my take buddy. Cheers.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Nik, great exposure, great finishing, great backgound.

Is the runner having thoughts or having actions? It just seems so casual a gait that I can't tell, but maybe that's better.....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited January 3, 2008
    cjmchch wrote:
    Great range of colors on the subject. Would loved to have seen more of her reflection in the sand, rather than the surf. That aside, lovely photo.
    I agree, more reflection would be nice. However, it just happened that she was running at the edge of the wet zone, so no more was available ne_nau.gif
    Thank you for commenting!thumb.gif
    edited January 3, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif Wonderful image.
    Paul, you're too kind. mwink.gif
    edited January 3, 2008
    sherstone wrote:
    I too really quite like this image. It is the colors and sand that I am drawn to the most. I tend to agree that the running pose is slightly awkward. What my eye gets drawn to the most in this image is the bright area at the top, I keep wondering if it's fog or just brightness.
    From the waves down is what I like the most.

Sean, thank you for your toughtful comment! thumb.gif
    Yes, the pose is not your typical action one, it bears a though of indecisiveness (IMHO). I didn't realize the sky/waves are so bright, thank you for pointing it out to me, maybe I can repost...
    edited January 3, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Any way to get out for a reshoot? The colors are great. The running part isn't. My one suggestion (as in my mind's eye) would be her running full bore legs outstretched with at least one leg in the air (more than 2 inches) as you pan. The combination of a very slight motion blur with those colors in conjunction with a perfectly in focus runner would be "THE" shot.

Just my take buddy. Cheers.
    Thanks, David! thumb.gif
    I actually have a shot just like that from the same shoot:-) I'll play around... mwink.gif
    edited January 3, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    Nik, great exposure, great finishing, great backgound.

Is the runner having thoughts or having actions? It just seems so casual a gait that I can't tell, but maybe that's better.....
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    I think the duality of the pose was that made me choose this one. I have more of her high in the air, jumping, etc., but here she's also... thoughtful, at least a bit...headscratch.gif
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    I really like the processing, the background looks like a painting. There is something unnatural about her movement, imo anyhow, and I find it distracting. Clarity, processing etc.. are great, just would like her movement to be less 'forced' looking.
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
    edited January 3, 2008
    I really like the processing, the background looks like a painting. There is something unnatural about her movement, imo anyhow, and I find it distracting. Clarity, processing etc.. are great, just would like her movement to be less 'forced' looking.
    Beth,
    thank you! thumb.gif
    Interesting, that many of you guys find her pose awkward/unnatural... She was simply running, and I was simply shooting... I guess not all frozen moments look the same lol3.gif
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Beth,
    thank you! thumb.gif
    Interesting, that many of you guys find her pose awkward/unnatural... She was simply running, and I was simply shooting... I guess not all frozen moments look the same lol3.gif

Guess not. According to my teenage son, I only catch the akward/weird/goofy parts of his movement when taking sports/action shots :D .
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    not unnatural, but very casual... which I suppose is the way you wanted your family to be on that day..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited January 3, 2008
    Guess not. According to my teenage son, I only catch the akward/weird/goofy parts of his movement when taking sports/action shots :D .
    Laughing.gif, I hear ya.. rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 3, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    ...which I suppose is the way you wanted your family to be on that day..
    Very much so, Mark!
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    There is a very interesting tension in your photo. Her position/form provides a unique eye movement through the photo that I find quite engaging. Your Post production like always is great. The white at the top of the screen does draw the eye a little much. Good luck!
    edited January 3, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    There is a very interesting tension in your photo. Her position/form provides a unique eye movement through the photo that I find quite engaging. Your Post production like always is great. The white at the top of the screen does draw the eye a little much. Good luck!
    Thanks, man, I'm flattered!
    I'm working on a couple of possibilities fom the same shoot, hope to post soon...
    edited January 4, 2008
    OK, guys
    You got me thinking (which is always a good thing), so I decided to try and work on a couple more shots from this "helen on the beach" series.

1. Toned down original entry "Run"

239446431-XL.jpg

and two new ones:

2: Crash:

239445257-XL.jpg

3: Flight:

239445314-XL.jpg

I'm currently kinda partial to #2, but please let me know what you think!thumb.gif
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I like no.2 as well.. although the front foot being out of focus is a bit annoying for me... great capture though
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
    edited January 4, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    I like no.2 as well.. although the front foot being out of focus is a bit annoying for me... great capture though
    Hey Jet, thanks! thumb.gif
    Well, I was panning, so it was kinda an idea to get it a bit blurred...ne_nau.gif
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I like number 2 better. In number 3....she appears to be paying attention to the camera, not quite as natural.

2 looks like she's just jumping rocks. I like it better than the entry you've posted already. It says action more than the current entry to me as well.

Best of luck...beautiful photos as usual!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
    edited January 4, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    I like number 2 better. In number 3....she appears to be paying attention to the camera, not quite as natural.

2 looks like she's just jumping rocks. I like it better than the entry you've posted already. It says action more than the current entry to me as well.

Best of luck...beautiful photos as usual!
    Thank you Heather!thumb.gif