Options

I have to wait 2 days!

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited March 18, 2005 in Cameras
Until my new D2H gets here! :clap

Ordered a new one from B&H and got a Ultra 2 1GB card to go along with it. Can't wait!

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Until my new D2H gets here! clap.gif

Ordered a new one from B&H and got a Ultra 2 1GB card to go along with it. Can't wait!

Awesome camera. Congrats on a great buy.

Dave
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Were they out of Canons?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Were they out of Canons?

ar15.gifwxwax

rolleyes1.gif

Good joke there!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    ar15.gifwxwax

rolleyes1.gif

Good joke there!

thumb.gif
    blbl.gifblbl.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Whenever you are ready to step up to the big leagues (Nikon), then we'll stop treating you like a child. FLIPA.gif :haha :gone
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

Hey John,

You will love it. I got mine last week and it is the best handling camera that I have ever held. You may want to consider this http://bythom.com/d2hguide.htm

I just got my e-book in the mail and its a big help. I also got his e-book for the D100 and it was a very complete guide.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    I already ordered it! :D

Harry, I may be picking your brain if I have any questions. 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I already ordered it! :D

Harry, I may be picking your brain if I have any questions. 1drink.gif
    Hey John,

No problem. If I can be of any help just post or PM me.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

I got mine from B&H a couple of weeks ago and I'm really pleased.

Big step up from my D70, you're in for a treat :D
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    I was going to order it from RobersImaging.com because it is in Indy...a lot closer but they were out of stock.

I wonder how many new ones are left out there?
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I was going to order it from RobersImaging.com because it is in Indy...a lot closer but they were out of stock.

I wonder how many new ones are left out there?
    Not too may John. Nikon is trying to clear them out to make way for the D2HS. I got mine form B&H and their website still shows them in stock.
    Harry
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Too cheap to pay for overnight shipping, huh? Nikonians... ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Too cheap to pay for overnight shipping, huh? Nikonians... ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif
    Nah, we're saving our $ for that good glass that's next on the shopping list. Canonites need overnite delivery so they can use the camera for a couple of days before they e-bay it to pay for the new "improved" camera Canon is releasing the following week.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    rolleyes1.gif

I got the 2 day shipping though!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

Congrats and enjoy the new camera.

Can you enlighten my as to why you purchased this model. I am a loyal Nikon user (5 different bodies including a D70), but I don't understand why I would purchase a D2H right now. I realize it is fast and has a speedy and accurate autofocus system, but isn't it only 4MP? I know we shouldn't get hung up on MP count, but I am concerned about all of the cropping I do routinely on my pics causing some pixellation with a 4MP camera. Am I wrong?

I am seriously thinking about stepping up to the D2X. While this is more camera than an amateur hack like myself should have, this seems like a more logical choice to me as a step up from the D70 as opposed to the D2H.

What am I missing here??ne_nau.gif

mitch
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Congrats and enjoy the new camera.

Can you enlighten my as to why you purchased this model. I am a loyal Nikon user (5 different bodies including a D70), but I don't understand why I would purchase a D2H right now. I realize it is fast and has a speedy and accurate autofocus system, but isn't it only 4MP? I know we shouldn't get hung up on MP count, but I am concerned about all of the cropping I do routinely on my pics causing some pixellation with a 4MP camera. Am I wrong?

I am seriously thinking about stepping up to the D2X. While this is more camera than an amateur hack like myself should have, this seems like a more logical choice to me as a step up from the D70 as opposed to the D2H.

What am I missing here??ne_nau.gif

mitch
    Hey Mitchell,

I just got the D2H and I'm very happy with it. I had to make a choice between it and the D2X or the soon to be released D2HS. If money was not an issue I would have gone with the D2X for $5K. Unfortunately money is an issue and I couldn't see spending $5K as a hobbyist. Also a number of the early buyers of the D2X are reporting that its a fine camera but it doesn't do well with budget glass. Its resolution is such that if there's any flaw in the glass it will be apparant on the D2X.

I just think that the D2H is the best buy on the DSLR market today. For under $2K you get a professional level camera that shoots like a machine gun and handles superbly. I have doen some major cropping on some of my wildlife shots w/o any problems. I find its image quality to be better than my D100.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Mitchell,
    For the same reasons as Harry, I got the D2H. I didn't want to get heavily into debt for a hobbyist.

I talked to several people on a few boards such as here who told (and showed!) me why they use the D2H. That was enough to convince me.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Apparently, the D2H is the best buy out there for a professional grade camera. My only concern is that it has been discontinued, and that $2,000 for a 4MP camera just does not seem right. What really boggles my mind is that the D2Hs will be $3,500!!!umph.gif Hard to imagine not scraping together the money for the D2X for another $1,500.

I'll be interested in hearing about how you like your new camera. I am concerned about the weight of these beasts compared with my D70.

enjoy!!

mitch
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

I'm impatient sometimes, :D , Overnight air baby, see you tom.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. Apparently, the D2H is the best buy out there for a professional grade camera. My only concern is that it has been discontinued, and that $2,000 for a 4MP camera just does not seem right. What really boggles my mind is that the D2Hs will be $3,500!!!umph.gif Hard to imagine not scraping together the money for the D2X for another $1,500.

I'll be interested in hearing about how you like your new camera. I am concerned about the weight of these beasts compared with my D70.

enjoy!!

mitch

I played with a D2H twice at the camera store and fell in love. The camera may be bigger but wow what a difference!
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Well, I just stopped back by work and checked my email, now I am rather pissed with B&H, I placed an order before noon today with overnight shipping. At 5:26 PM after I left work they e-mailed me to say that "there was a problem with your order" please call them. WTF!!! I have both my office number to my desk where I was untill 5:15 pm AND my cell number on the order and they did not call ether one. I have bought from them before and was happy, but this just blew all that out that window. By the time I stopped by here they were closed already, damn, now it'll be another day and I wonder if they will even eat the shipping charge, the overnight part anyway since I will not be getting it next day now. I'll call them back to fix this in the am, but this might have been my last order with them, they'll have to bend over backwards now to keep me buying from them.

:bash :bash :bash

James.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Well, I just stopped back by work and checked my email, now I am rather pissed with B&H, I placed an order before noon today with overnight shipping. At 5:26 PM after I left work they e-mailed me to say that "there was a problem with your order" please call them. WTF!!! I have both my office number to my desk where I was untill 5:15 pm AND my cell number on the order and they did not call ether one. I have bought from them before and was happy, but this just blew all that out that window. By the time I stopped by here they were closed already, damn, now it'll be another day and I wonder if they will even eat the shipping charge, the overnight part anyway since I will not be getting it next day now. I'll call them back to fix this in the am, but this might have been my last order with them, they'll have to bend over backwards now to keep me buying from them.

:bash :bash :bash

James.
    Hey James,

I've been buying from B&H for years now w/o a problem. They have delayed two orders of mine. One was to verify the fact that the shipping address (my then office) was correct. The second one was my D2H order. I had stupidly forgot to delete my old shipping address (my office) from my records and had told them to ship my D2H to my old office in Flushing, NY. If they hadn't delayed my order my D2h would have gone to the wrong address. Before you get to worked up find out the reason for the delay.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey James,

I've been buying from B&H for years now w/o a problem. They have delayed two orders of mine. One was to verify the fact that the shipping address (my then office) was correct. The second one was my D2H order. I had stupidly forgot to delete my old shipping address (my office) from my records and had told them to ship my D2H to my old office in Flushing, NY. If they hadn't delayed my order my D2h would have gone to the wrong address. Before you get to worked up find out the reason for the delay.
    I am worked up because they did not call, and waited so late to e-mail me that I couldn't get it out the same day. BTW, this is both of your situations in one, shipping to another address that I didn't use before (same town) and it is a D2H + goodies. I understand that there can be situations like conferming the address, but christ I ordered it early to be sure it would go out today even if there was a problem. I had a event tom that I wanted to shoot with it. :bash It is just plain poor biz for them to wait so late in the day to check on a problem on a order which was placed with overnight shipping, if someone is going to pay that kind of money they prolly have a reason.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I am worked up because they did not call, and waited so late to e-mail me that I couldn't get it out the same day. BTW, this is both of your situations in one, shipping to another address that I didn't use before (same town) and it is a D2H + goodies. I understand that there can be situations like conferming the address, but christ I ordered it early to be sure it would go out today even if there was a problem. I had a event tom that I wanted to shoot with it. :bash It is just plain poor biz for them to wait so late in the day to check on a problem on a order which was placed with overnight shipping, if someone is going to pay that kind of money they prolly have a reason.

James.
    Hey James,

It is aggravating to have to wait. B&H is an outstanding place to buy. they are efficient, their prices are fair, and they have a huge inventory. They are not known for being nice, efficient, yes, nice, nah. They are probably confiming the address, they are very, very careful about that. Knowing them they will not give you a break on the shipping but if you press it who knows.
    Good luck.
    Harry
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    They are probably confiming the address, they are very, very careful about that.

I second this. It if is not the address linked with the credit card they will hold up your order or require a different address. I tried to have an order shipped to my mail boxes etc box years ago and they would not do it. I was even placing the order in person with one of their reps while I was at a tradeshow in Chicago and would not be home to accept it. They have some frustrating policies at times, but I have been very happy with their service. I hope they sort out your issue in the AM.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Yeah, I had to call B&H yesterday because usually I get an email the next day telling me the item was shipped. It hadn't been shipped yet...waiting for verification.

Pain to have to call but it is nice to know that they won't just automatically ship an item, just in case someone steals a credit card. :)

Come on Thursday!!
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I played with a D2H twice at the camera store and fell in love. The camera may be bigger but wow what a difference!
    This brings up a interesting question, with the advent of digital camera's how do we keep local stores open so that we have somewhere that we CAN go put our hands on a camera, the whole reason I went with a D2H not a D70 was because I held a D70 and realized that it was not what I wanted.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Yeah, I had to call B&H yesterday because usually I get an email the next day telling me the item was shipped. It hadn't been shipped yet...waiting for verification.

Pain to have to call but it is nice to know that they won't just automatically ship an item, just in case someone steals a credit card. :)

Come on Thursday!!
    Hey John,

So what's the story?
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    I have spoken with them several times today, they are shipping it today, or so they say, at this point I have very little confidence in them. They did say that I would be getting a discount on shipping. I will think twice before ordering from them again.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    fo%5Bpag545.jpg

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif