Options

I love this place

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited January 24, 2008 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

Living from 15 minutes from the Viera Wetlands is one of the best breaks I've have had. I didn't even know the place existed when Linda and I picked out the lot for our house.

Its got neat sunrises
241533458-XL.jpg

sunsets are OK too
241533178-XL.jpg

Its got raptors
244403063-XL.jpg

244973604-XL.jpg

244973756-XL.jpg

244402737-XL.jpg

plus plenty of frogs to go around
245166365-XL.jpg

241534254-XL.jpg

241533800-XL.jpg

and you get to play where's the bittern
245166376-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    clap.gif Awesome set Harry! Great shots! But the second frog shot really made me laugh. Sweet capture!thumb.gif What a great place to have stumbled onto. I think I can safely say we are all envious of your setup there!
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Don't know what it is, but I do like seeing birds eating things. That one of the heron with the frog legs sticking out is nice. The webs of the toes are backlit too.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    So how's housing prices down there?
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Really great shots Harry, but I can't help feeling sorry for the frogs.:D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Got any spare bedrooms at your house Harry :) I live on Long Island, well we got here are friggin ducks ducks ducks ducks, a buncha seagulls, more ducks and maybe a woodpecker or two
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 21, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Got any spare bedrooms at your house Harry :) I live on Long Island, well we got here are friggin ducks ducks ducks ducks, a buncha seagulls, more ducks and maybe a woodpecker or two

Get 'yer own. This one's mine...daddy? Is that you rolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    clap.gif Awesome set Harry! Great shots! But the second frog shot really made me laugh. Sweet capture!thumb.gif What a great place to have stumbled onto. I think I can safely say we are all envious of your setup there!

Thanks Mike and I have yet to find a better palce to shoot than the Viera Wetlands.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Few people are as lucky as you to have such a resource. What makes it great is that you truly appreciate it and it shows in your photos.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Nice!! It is a real pleasure to be able to share so many funfilled hours out there. Rain, shine, 100+ degrees or even when wind chill is 30 degrees. We are so lucky to live in this little town and have the wetlands in our backyard:ivar
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Harry -

I think you like to make people jealous. Awesome shots - impressive as always.

Now you have to put a get together down there where we can all come down and visit and shoot. Have sleeping bag - will travel.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Harry -

I think you like to make people jealous. Awesome shots - impressive as always.

Yes, I do and thank you.
    Now you have to put a get together down there where we can all come down and visit and shoot. Have sleeping bag - will travel.

You got to pay attention. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I bet you love "that place". I know the feeling. Can't believe it took me so long to finally bail from Illinois and move here. Nice series Harry. Now...what about those property taxes? rolleyes1.gif I don't like them either. Mine have more than tripled in the last 6 years. Grrrrrr.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Great shots Harry, especially the birds feeding on frogs but that first one is stunning!
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I bet you love "that place". I know the feeling. Can't believe it took me so long to finally bail from Illinois and move here. Nice series Harry. Now...what about those property taxes? rolleyes1.gif I don't like them either. Mine have more than tripled in the last 6 years. Grrrrrr.

thats because all the rich northerners go buy up all the realestate down there... and leave us poor northerners stuck here in the cold and snow!!!!

great shots, your giving me the itch to get down there and visit..where is this place, is it close to the Everglades? or in the other direction?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Don't know what it is, but I do like seeing birds eating things. That one of the heron with the frog legs sticking out is nice. The webs of the toes are backlit too.

There is something about birds dining that appeals, I think its that twinkle in their eyes.:D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    So how's housing prices down there?

After a brief and crazy boom they are dropping like a rock.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    davev wrote:
    Really great shots Harry, but I can't help feeling sorry for the frogs.:D

Thanks Dave and the frogs don't have an easy life in the swamp but they do make lots of birds happy.
    Harry
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Great series as always. Anything new on the buildings planned for the area?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    Great series as always. Anything new on the buildings planned for the area?

Thanks Dee. There's been nothing new but everyday I see trucks going into the Duda Ranch empty and later pull out with a load of plam tree stumps.
    Harry
  • Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

Living from 15 minutes from the Viera Wetlands is one of the best breaks I've have had. I didn't even know the place existed when Linda and I picked out the lot for our house.

Outstandingl shots Harry.. I'm jealous of all the green down there (and paved roads)..rolleyes1.gif Your hawk shot (with human and tripod).. NOT A CHANCE up this-a-way, if you're lucky maybe a couple hundred yards at the closest.

Around here you have to park and hike for about a mile to even get close to the good spots.. then lots of camo and hours of waiting and you "might" get a good shot. None of that shorts, T's and Tan stuff..rolleyes1.gif I carry about 50 pounds of gear every time I go out to shoot (and I'm no spring chicken).

Those guys sure are putting a dent in the frog population huh..:ivar

Thanks for sharing your bit of paradise with us.clap.gif it sure is beautiful.
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • Options
    riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Some guys got all the luck:cry :D
    Great series Harrythumb.gif
    Russ
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Vycor wrote:

We have loads of ducks too but fortunately we have a few other birds also. :D

As for the spare bedroom we ae constantly offering refuge to northerners. We always have sympathy for the bird deprived. :cry
    Harry
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Me too! (by proxy) :D
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Great Set!!! I love this style.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    You could have ended this post with the first photo, and would have been on board! clap.gif Great set Harry!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Get 'yer own. This one's mine...daddy? Is that you rolleyes1.gif

Only if you have a job and are paying your own way. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 23, 2008
    Amazing work as always, Harry. bowdown.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Few people are as lucky as you to have such a resource. What makes it great is that you truly appreciate it and it shows in your photos.

Thanks Jen, the Viera Wetlands are such a jewel. My granddaughters love going down there when they visit.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    Trish323 wrote:
    Nice!! It is a real pleasure to be able to share so many funfilled hours out there. Rain, shine, 100+ degrees or even when wind chill is 30 degrees. We are so lucky to live in this little town and have the wetlands in our backyard:ivar

We sure did luck out. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008

You would need a gun to get me back to NYC. The property taxes I can handle its the blood sucking insurance companies that get my dander up. :pissed
    Harry