>>> LPS#20 - Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    #22 - jziegler - Yawn!
    I think this photo poses more questions than answers – I find myself focusing on what’s causing the dog’s expression rather than the photo itself. The focus seems a bit off or maybe it’s just not as crisp as I want to be. In addition, the dog expression makes me a bit uncomfortable, but it’s on theme. And I find that the color districts from the face.

aktse,

Thanks for taking the time to judge the round and to give feedback on the images. You give me things to think about for how to make stronger images for the next LPS. Thank you :) For the distracting color, do you think that a B&W conversion would be better, or just selectively removing the blue background (the couch she was on at the time) ?
    andy wrote:
    I'm beginning to wonder if there should be an LPS II :cry

I hope that there will be a LPS II. I'm looking forward to it already, especially if we can continue to have good official and unofficial feedback like this round. This is the first round that I've participated in with feedback like this, and it really does help, and I don't know where else I'd get it. We want more!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Better you take note, I think, than dismiss what persons of good will are saying.
    Who said anything about dismissing? Y'all are getting waaaaaaay to serious. Just compete. Learn. Grow.
    NeilL wrote:
    We are adults here and do not welcome being chided to "behave yourselves". I do not come here to be parented.
    Good because I have 4 children already. Compete, Learn, Grow. If you or anyone doesn't like the way LPS is handled, or run, you are welcome to voice your opinions. We read everything and we act on some, none, or all.
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I want to take this time to apologize for the controversy I seemed to have "stirred" up, as that was not my intent, if anyone feels that I was attacking them on a personal basis, then I apologize for that, again not my intent, but the one thing, I will not apologize for, is my opinion, whether anyone agrees or not, but you have to think about it, if opinions were NOT expressed and bantered about, we would still be living in the cave man era with no improvement.

I want to express that I have enjoyed the contest, and the people I have become acquainted with, and I have made it to the top ten on a couple of occassions, so no sour grapes here.

I really hope to have continued involvement in future contests, and future discussions with my peers, whether we agree or not.

Everyone have a great day.
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Do you have a choice? I think WE want an LPS#
    This may not be the right place to do this, but Neil, where do you come off thinking that Dgrin owes us anything? We don't pay for ANYTHING on dgrin. This is a community that has been GIVEN a place to congregate and it is FAR from a democracy (IMNSHO). At best this is a benevolent dictatorship that we freely choose to associate with.

I for one am grateful for all the time and energy the mods and admins put into making the community as wonderful as it is. I'm also all for people expressing their opinions, and you've done so in spades. I am just sometimes astonished by them.
    Travis
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    #28 - eoren1 - Diamonds are a girls best friend
    This made my initial cut, but after some discussion on why I included it (fun concept), I had issues justifying my choice based on technical merits compared to some of the other photos. I’m still not quite sure if the focus should be on the fingers or the ring, but both need to be a bit sharper. Also, the bright white background draws my attention away from the main subject. Overall, a good concept, but needs a bit more post work to clean it up.

Aktse-
    Thank you for taking on the role of judging this round. Thank you for enlisting the advice of others. And thank you for the detailed feedback. It is all very much appreciated! And you are right on in these comments. I with I had been able to close the aperature a bit more or had taken the extension ring off. That 3 month old's hands were moving like crazy!
    E
  • Options
    kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Sigh... And so the age entitlement reaches LPS and dgrin.

Here's a thought. It is free to enter and we surrender no rights to our photos nor are are we compelled to enter. For sacraficing absolutely nothing we are given the opportunity to receive input from a volunteer community and we may be given money. In my book that means they could award the prizes soley based on file size, a random number generator, or which photo's histogram peaks closest to Andy's favorite color and I'd have little room to complain. I might suggest a better system of judging, but I wouldn't complain about it. So lets pick up our cameras, take some pictures and enter them and see what happens. Or don't. That's what we are all entitled to, nothing more.

PLEASE DO VOICE YOUR OPINION!!! The moderators have said they listen to suggestions and act on some of them. No one wants people to quiet, a community requires input to function. Sometimes a suggestion will not be implemented, but often it will result in people explaining why something is the way it is and that's still valuable to the community. That said, it is possible to make suggestions to the community without making posts that sound like complaints. I'm not being critical that people have criticism to give, it is the tone of the criticism I object to. There is a fine line between suggesting and complaining. A few posts in the is thread have definitely had the tone of complaining (which very well may not have been the intention of the poster at all). Some careful re-writting of almost any complaint can turn it into a pleasant and constructive suggestion. Let's all strive to do that (and I'll be the first to admit I need a lot of work in that department as well).

To the Moderators:

I'm sure you've been around the block on the web long enough to know that no good deed goes unpunished. Sadly in any sort of interaction with the public as your audience grows the probability you'll run into folks who have trouble expressing their gratitude reaches one. Most of us are thrilled with the work you do and if you act like a normal human with normal human emotions and let your unique personality show through in your posts as any normal member of society would we are content with that. I suspect that those who have made some posts here that could be interpetted as negative are actually trying to contribute to improving the community and are just having trouble expressing that without inadvertently attacking the motivations of the moderators. Perhaps if you can peel back the tone of such posts you'll find that the person at least cared enough about what you're all doing for us to offer some input even if it could have been phrased better.

I'm done, it's Tuesday and I still haven't a clue what I'm entering for SF4 so no more time spent here!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    18- Framed
    Wonderful. A wonderful, but simple composition. Good use lighting, and perfect use of framing. The eye on the left has a little too much shadow in that area and my eyes are drawn there (make the eye completely covered). This made it through my lists for a few rounds.

Aw, thank you for letting me know it was on your list for a little while. iloveyou.gif I was very proud of this SP and a bit bummed it didn't garner even one point, but I knew it wasn't as "on point" with the theme as it could have been.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback. I really appreciate it (and your awesome attention to detail). clap.gif
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Let me just state for the record that I've never made it all the way through a game of cranium, much less to the stage where it caused an argument!

Addressing the subject of addressing any connection to Smugmug, I really see no obvious connection other than that so many Dgrinners are also Smuggies. It doesn't really matter my size within Smugmug, but there is not a single one of my customers out there who even has a clue that I participate in Dgrin. The only connection I hope happens is that my skills and expression in the field will improve as a result of my participation inside here, to the point where my customers out there are more satisfied with my work.

I commend Donna for her latest comments. She expresssed what I ( and I have to believe others) initially felt when I first read Aktse's comments, a feeling that hadn't gone away when I then also read DocotrIt's initial response to it. I made no comment at the moment, and good thing. After thinking about it some more, her method isn't any more bizzare than others have used. In the end, I commend Aktse for realizing, when she was tapped, that maybe she might actually give herself a crash course in how to do it.

Now let's all go out an breath some air, even if ist smells the way mine does, like horse manuer...!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We love criticism, good and bad, but some of this is way over the top. Not pointing fingers at anyone, bu maybe, just maybe, everyone could just chill, enjoy, shoot some pitchas and compete in the LPS.

I totally agree. Let's get back to feedback and picture taking thumb.gif

Andy wrote:
    I'm beginning to wonder if there should be an LPS II :cry

Oh my goodness, I hope hope hope that there will be an LPS II. eek7.gif This has been the most interesting photo contest I have ever watched, not to mention the first one I've entered (I think, but I have a horrible memory). I just finally got the guts to enter in round 20 and was really looking forward to starting at round 1 next year.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Who said anything about dismissing? Y'all are getting waaaaaaay to serious. Just compete. Learn. Grow.

Good because I have 4 children already. Compete, Learn, Grow. If you or anyone doesn't like the way LPS is handled, or run, you are welcome to voice your opinions. We read everything and we act on some, none, or all.

Oh, Andy, if ONLY wishful thinking and a nice list of exhortations were able to do all we hoped!

I will soon be going blue in the face from repeating my praises for DGrin-SmugMug. Please LISTEN, so I can catch my breath!

I will never praise rudeness and dismissiveness, or the overlooking of the true dynamics of communities like this, however!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    This may not be the right place to do this, but Neil, where do you come off thinking that Dgrin owes us anything? We don't pay for ANYTHING on dgrin. This is a community that has been GIVEN a place to congregate and it is FAR from a democracy (IMNSHO). At best this is a benevolent dictatorship that we freely choose to associate with.

I for one am grateful for all the time and energy the mods and admins put into making the community as wonderful as it is. I'm also all for people expressing their opinions, and you've done so in spades. I am just sometimes astonished by them.

DGrin was not created by the managers of DGrin. They created the invitation and we the members fulfilled that invitation. The perception sometimes seems to have become reversed. You are free to invite people into your space, and they are free to come and go, but while they are in your space they should not be expected to become infantile.

To the extent that DGrin could NOT exist without its members, and to the extent that the members make it what it is, it is THEIRS and not the management's. And to the extent that we have achieved the MANAGEMENT'S aims they DO owe us!

If anything is being exaggerated in the current topic of this thread it is the negativity over some well-meaning observations which are remarkable only because they depart somewhat from the more usual social strokes. They are seen by some as being wildly aberrant. Get a grip, for goodness sake! Much that is appreciative and affirming of DGrin is in those same posts!

A member who has contributed much to DGrin and LPS raised legitimate doubts about the judging process. This was jumped upon as an affront! People began to play mommies and daddies. Really!

• Options
    cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    14- Conversations - Yielding to the Master's touch.
    This made it on a few lists. The exposure is nailed, it has good use of leading lines, good focus, good crop, good DOF. etc. This was on my list during the first pass, but didn’t make it further than that until someone informed me on how technical difficulties in taking this photo. It made it to a few more rounds, but not to my final one. A job well done! What could have done differently? Get a different judge. It’s a great photo… I just liked others more.
    Well....thanks for the nice comments!!! It was a very difficult photo to do. Took over four hundred shots with two horses. Many thanks to my partner Eileen to cantoring around the field in circles with her hand extended and the reins in a loop. Not easy to do.

I had a lot of comments about this both on this forum and others. This is NOT a traditional equine shot (it got a few folks upset). Her mouth is open and some equine people think the rider is pulling back on the bridle which can cause pain and discomfort to the horse. But the reins are slack and no tension was on her mouth. She was an abused rescue project that was saved from turning into a can of dogfood. This is just something she does with or without a bridle in her mouth.

With that said, I'm am looking forward to the next round in March. I have learned a lot in the last two rounds and I hope the great quality of work I have seen continues to increase.

-carl
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    You know, it wouldn't be a DGrin contest if there wasn't a controversy that got everyone's panties (boxers?) in a wad every few months... rolleyes1.gif

But I think Lynne stated it best... "It's a voluntary contest, and after a year of playing you either dig the scene, or you don't." mwink.gif

Good luck to all!
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Do you have a choice? I think WE want an LPS#

We are adults here and do not welcome being chided to "behave yourselves". I do not come here to be parented.

Yes there is a choice - there always is a choice by the organisers and owners to decide if something happens or not.

I dont believe that smugmug or dgrin is a democracy - my understanding is that it is a business, and a very good one at that, run by some very talented and generous people.

It seems from what I've read that the world of photography is a tough one. This "chiding" is part of the real business world and although I am not a professional photgrapher, it seems to me that the photography business is a tough one to be in. I'd rather be chided and corrected in a safe environment like dgrin, with very few consequences, rather that out there in the real world with some very real consequences.

I am very much looking to the next competition and hope that the recent set of comments will change people's mind.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    31-40
    31: The Mechanic
    I like the concept, but the execution isn’t as strong as it can be since my focus is on the sparks and rather than the hand. Also, the hands also seem to come out of no-where. I like the angle of the shot, and the square crop, but it needs to be more with the theme. I think this would do better with a theme of “hot” or “light”. Also, what’s the whitish thing near the top of the image? Clothes? Person? Welder?

32- Notorious Aces...
    I like the long shadows, but it would have been stronger if you shot from a different perspective. I think it’s better if you have gotten lower, maybe almost parallel to the cards. You also might experiment with the type of table… I think it would have worked better with a green felt of a gambling card table. However, this is good interpretation of the theme (creative)

33- The Look
    From one of the person that I asked… “beautifully shot portrait. Follows all the rules of what makes a good portrait. The catch lighting in the eyes, the angle of the face and head to the camera, the nose shadow and of course the crisp sharp detail of the eyes. Great job’. This was in my top ten, but I kept comparing it to Ryan (another great portrait). After a long personal debate, I ranked this one higher because it drew me in more than Ryan (not an easy decision!)

34- The Other Side
    This is a haunting entry. You had good use of expression in the face, strong contrast, but it all seems a bit un-natural (forced). Instead of making me want to know you more, it makes me want to stop back a bit. The streak that of black that cuts near your noise is a bit distracting. I’m still not 100% positive of the statement that you’re trying to make. It’s like you wiped a section off of black window and staring outside for the very first time, but the expression doesn’t fit that.

35-pruney fingers
    One of the feedback when they saw the winners list – “disappointed that pruney fingers didn’t get picked”. It’s a good (no, great) composition with a good use of DOF. This made it through my lists for a few rounds. I think I would wanted contrast so that the wrinkles in the fingers would stand out more. .. Perfectly on theme… Another job well done! If you shot this again, I would move her pruney fingers a bit. One of her fingers leads directly to her nose.

36- The Old Timer: A Visual Pun
    I like the separation of the background and the foreground, and the watch face is very clear. You also have a good crop. However, the photo doesn’t pull me in, make me wonder about its story or provide any emotional pull. I think it could have been improved if the watch face was cracked?, or maybe using an older watch? Basically, it’s a very nice B&W photo of watch, but I wanted/needed it to go further than that.

37- Sands of Time
    Good composition and a very nice capture, but I think it is one step from a wonderful composition. I think I needed someone or something to ground the photo, e.g. a person putting the finishing touches, a kid’s sand pail, a person touching up the nose. However, it has many of the great elements of a good photo – good use of leading diagonal lines; you filled the frame, etc. Nice job!

38-Broken
    I like the angle, subject and expression, but it’s a bit dark for me. I think that since I don’t see his eyes (which all photos don’t need), I want something to lead me to the reason behind his expression. I can’t tell if he’s mad, sad, bored, or has a headache. That being said, this is a nice portrait and I like the lighting that you used.

39- Sausages
    You made me look at the image because I couldn’t tell what the photo was the first time that I looked at it. In this case, the title helps -- it’s not used to set the context for the photo, but it’s helps add another dimension to it. I think it needs to be taken to the next level… maybe a close up of a pruney finger? I like the DOF and texture that you achieved.

40-Frustration
    I can see/feel her frustration, but the theme doesn’t jump out at me. Also, the photo is very cluttered and I don’t know where to focus. I look at her, and then at the background (including the heart shape photo behind her). It’s not quite on theme for me, but the photo does tell a story without word and that is something to be pround of.
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Aktse...
    I'm a little behind on reading the posts. Just saw your review of my photo from the last contest. Thank you for the feedback and kind words.
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    #29 - Izzy Garavito - Remembrance of Things Past
    Another one that people disagreed upon…. Some loved it, some thought it was so-so (too cliché) and some didn’t see the story or the tears, but I got it and in the end, that’s what matters in the voting (this time!) What could be improved? People didn’t see the tears and I think it’s due to the selective coloring. I believe this was my #10 photo and was one that I got questioned on.

Aktse thank you for your feedback, and thanks for picking it! I was trying to keep the focus on the face with the selective coloring, hoping to strengthen the theme. I think that, instead of focusing on either hands or face well, it was so so on both. Thanks again, it was a fun one to take (my mom was the super hand model hahaha). I also got feedback from peeps and it looks like i went a little gung-ho with the baby powder headscratch.gif
  • Options
    samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    37- Sands of Time
    Good composition and a very nice capture, but I think it is one step from a wonderful composition. I think I needed someone or something to ground the photo, e.g. a person putting the finishing touches, a kid’s sand pail, a person touching up the nose. However, it has many of the great elements of a good photo – good use of leading diagonal lines; you filled the frame, etc. Nice job!

Thank You for your comments on my photo.

Gilrolleyes1.gif
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    32- Notorious Aces...
    I like the long shadows, but it would have been stronger if you shot from a different perspective. I think it’s better if you have gotten lower, maybe almost parallel to the cards. You also might experiment with the type of table… I think it would have worked better with a green felt of a gambling card table. However, this is good interpretation of the theme (creative)

aktse,

Thanks for the feedbackthumb.gif great suggestions... I must admit that staged set up shots like this are not my strong suit, sometimes I get a vision and I cant look beyond it to think what might be an improvement, so this definately helps... Thanks again.

Winston
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Thank you for the feedback aktse :D

I haven't completely read through everything, so, please forgive if I am sensing the wrong things from what I have read. But, I am a sweet person and I would NEVER want the judges job. It must be very difficult having to make choices from so many awesome entries. I have always said that.
    If people have a problem with who the judges are and the decisions they make...keep them anonymous.
    Personally, I love knowing who the judges are. And respect them.
    Of course it hurt that I didn't get through, after so much good feedback but that's the name of the game with contests.
    Maybe next time :)
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    41-50
    41 - Face of Innocence.
    I love the subject and the composition. However, I find it too soft. You seem to have the rose in focus an you lose it around the eyelashes and you cropped a bit of her chin out. I think it might have been stronger with the theme to have the full face in focus instead of the rose. Also, I think the photo could use more “pop” (unless this was the impact that you wanted to achieve)

42 - The Time is Near.
    This is a very creepy capture. For me, it’s a bit on the cliché side of things. As for the composition, I don’t know where to look – his hands (which are in focus), or his face (which isn’t in focus). It might have been stronger for me if the entire face is in shadow. And when I look at this, I find myself fighting with where to look first. My eyes gravitate towards the face, but it’s blurry, but the much smaller hands are in sharp… If I reshot this, I might move the position of the hand or even shift the head to the left or right (but not in the center)

43 - Strong Direction..
    This is another one that you either liked or didn’t like. For one person, it was high on his list, and then he changed his mind after looking at it some more. He spent some time looking at it, and thought it looked faked (staged) since the hands are too shiny, etc. Please keep in mind that this individual works with machines and have hands that actually get into that condition so he has a difference reference point than most people (we had a ten minute discussion about this). Even after this discussion, I still had this it on my list since conveys the theme, has strong usage of lines, holds the attention and most importantly, makes me look again. A job well done!

44 - Frozen in Time.
    Photo removed (or can’t see it now).

45 - The Craftsman.
    This made it through my list for a few rounds. I ultimately dropped it due to the focus/post. I think I wanted the main hand more in focus/less grainy. I think it would have worked better if you did a similar treatment to both hands, but it just feels a little bit un-balanced. You see the wrinkles, textures, nail, etc on one and then the other hand is a bit grainy and blurry (and doesn’t seem like motion blur). I do like the use of leading lines and it’s a good composition. I think I want a wider crop since I’m not 100% positive what the hands are doing… making something, playing an instrument?

46 - Cleansing.
    One person really digged the lighting. Another person had it on the list, but then removed it because he thought it was too fake (oil around the nails are un-natural -- once again, a person who works with his hands). I thought it was on theme, good focus and your eyes are lead directly to the hand as the result of the dropping water. Good job! It’s simple composition, but it works. Nicely done!

47 - She's moving tomorrow; out last day together.
    I think the title helps the photo and it’s a good composition (lasted for some rounds). The crop is well thought of and the hands are perfectly placed to the right of center with good use of leading liens. Personally, I like photos with a bit more face than just hands, but in its current state, it does convey the story and make you want to know more. I think the hand on the left is un-needed if you keep this crop.

48. An Unusual Builders Upgrade
    It’s a creative photo and well thought out (e.g. using the hallway for the leading lines). I find the lighting a bit distracting and at first, I tended to focus on the light on the ceiling, then the door, and then finally the hands holding the cap. I think the photo is a bit too busy… for this contest, the focus should be on the hands, or your eyes should go there almost immediately.

49 - The Photographer.
    I love the intensity of your eyes and this is a nice portrait with good a B&W conversion. This was in my list for a least two rounds . I can handle your head being cut off, I don’t like the camera cut off for some reason and I focus on the camera more than your hand. I must admit that the expression in your eyes drew me in and made me want to know more.

50 - Cold.
    Of all the photos, this is the one and only one in which the discussions actually helped it. From one person ” just an excellent portrait. all the elements in the scene tells a great story and supports the main subject. The balance of color as well as light is wonderful. The sharp details are excellent” This person grew up where it’s cold... I didn’t and have a difference reference point.

Before having a discussion about it, I thought it was nice portrait with a good simple composition. After lengthy discussion about its merits, it moved up my list and actually made it to my ten. I didn’t realize the technical excellence in this photo until it was pointed out to me since I have no reference of real coldness other than snowboarding. This was probably shot outside on a cold, sunny day…. I was told to a closer look at his skin tone – perfect shade of redness and it doesn’t look fake; he looks flushed, like when it’s cold outside and not the fake red that happens with poor color. And look at the various whites in the photo (not blown out). This is very well exposed (and probably taken with snow and I know enough that light reflection and whiteness of the snow drives meters crazy), and told to look at the sharpness in the eyes as well as the details in the other part of the photo. This was probably shot outdoors in the sunlight, but the shadows are well done and he’s perfectly lit. I started comparing this to other portraits that I like and there is a reason why lots portraits are done indoors, or with a color treatment (B&W, etc) on it since skin tones are HARD to get right. The skin tones are dead on and it was done outside (I don’t’ think it’s a composite). Simple put. This is a well executed photo in a difficult environment that holds my attention.

----
    I'm sorry that this is taking so long, but it takes me about an hour for each group of ten since I need to refer to my notes, e-mails and IMs. I hope these thoughts are useful to you.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    35-pruney fingers
    One of the feedback when they saw the winners list – “disappointed that pruney fingers didn’t get picked”. It’s a good (no, great) composition with a good use of DOF. This made it through my lists for a few rounds. I think I would wanted contrast so that the wrinkles in the fingers would stand out more. .. Perfectly on theme… Another job well done! If you shot this again, I would move her pruney fingers a bit. One of her fingers leads directly to her nose.

Aktse, thank you SO much for your feedback! As for the contrast, I completely agree. If I had *really* set this up right, I would have moved her so that the light was across her instead of behind causing very washed out pruney fingers (no pun intended!). It was darker than I wanted to try to bring out the pruniness, but it obviously wasn't quite enough.

Thank you so much for all your feedback. It helps immensely! :D
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    51 – Trust
    Perfectly on theme with good lighting and composition. I just preferred a different post-processing. I would have to compare this shot to 'Strong Direction', and I must say that I preferred that one better (that's just me... other people might see it differently). However, this is a good idea with good execution with a very good idea and a good crop. You nailed the theme and made me want to know more about the subjects .

52 - Ent Baby
    You took a photo of a very interesting find! However, the face did not jump out at me and I don’t have any emotional attachment to it. I think it would have been stronger if the “face” was made to pop out more either by blurring the rest of the rocks (DOF) or by darken/lighten the face area so that it would stand out more on its own. This is creative interpretation of the theme!

53 - Our Future is Bright.
    You have to be very careful with selective color. I think you used it to separate the background from the foreground and I think it would have been more successful if you used DOF to isolate instead of color to pop the subject. I think you did very well with his skin tones and he’s a cute toddler!

54 - Got Virus?.
    Creative use of the theme! I think this is one photo that you need the title to give it direction. I like how the focus is the hands and the motion blur that is used. It might have been stronger with the face (maybe) or from a different angle. It’s a very unique entry and it made it through a few rounds because of it.

55 - Slap Me Five.
    On e person had this in their top lists, but I think that‘s because he’s a dog lover. I love the hands, technically, the photo needs more pop and it’s also soft. However, it’s on theme and you caught a very touching moment. It's difficult getting an emotional responce from a animal photo unless it's jumps out at you. You made a good attempt.

56 - Little Sleeping Hands.
    The photo is right on theme, but I think this is something that works with a wider crop. It’s a lovely photo of the baby. I think there is too much blanket (a bit distracting) and would love to have seen more fingers. However, this is a capture that will be cherished.

57- blood on his hands..
    This made me stop and think and I did have it making it thought a few rounds. I think the word that comes to my mind is clutter/busy – I don’t know you want my eyes to focus which prevents the theme from jumping out at me. I do have to applaud your creativity and efforts… It did make it through a few rounds.

58 - Freedom?
    A bunch of people like this photo, but one thought it was too cliché. It’s perfect on theme, good composition, and the viewer into the photo . I love how his fingers curl over the metal fence and how his eyes seem to be staring right through you. In addition, the focus is very good (photo isn’t soft) and the intensity just grabs you. Well done!

59 - Concentration...
    You can clearly see the hand and face (person and the horse), but I’m not sure what are you want me to focus on – the horse or the individual. I think the photos need more pop in terms of the color and the white of the gloves is a bit blown out to me. At the same time, you did capture a moment of a man and his horse. It just didn’t draw me in enough.

60 - Heads.
    This made it through a few rounds and also resulted in lots of comments from love to interesting. It’s on theme and the photo is well shot and staged. I just found it strange that the hand basically comes out of the air and how the head basically doesn’t have a body to ground it. At the same time, the head and the hands have really good exposure (and you can clearly see the detail in the penny. Well done!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Thank you, April, appreciate the time and C&C!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    57- blood on his hands..
    <o:p> </o:p><o:p></o:p>This made me stop and think and I did have it making it thought a few rounds. I think the word that comes to my mind is clutter/busy – I don’t know you want my eyes to focus which prevents the theme from jumping out at me. I do have to applaud your creativity and efforts… It did make it through a few rounds.
    <o:p></o:p>

Many thanks, aktse, for these comments!

• Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    51 – Trust
    Perfectly on theme with good lighting and composition. I just preferred a different post-processing. I would have to compare this shot to 'Strong Direction', and I must say that I preferred that one better (that's just me... other people might see it differently). However, this is a good idea with good execution with a very good idea and a good crop. You nailed the theme and made me want to know more about the subjects .

Thanks so much for taking the time for this. I really apprciate your comments. It means a lot.

Peace, gail