Man, I feel like a woman.

atomicjadeatomicjade Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited January 28, 2008 in People
Since everyone seemed to liked my previous self portraits I posted, I decided to give these a try. They are a bit older but I've never posted them for a critique because honestly they make me feel a little self concious. BUT I guess in the photo world it's something you gotta get over, right?

Rip me apart guys, the only thing I'm certain I don't like is my hand in the second picture.

Picture1219a.jpg

Picture12402.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Well first of all I applaud you getting out there in front of the camera. That is not an area I have ever been too comfortable which is why I pose myself right behind the eye piece:D .

I'm certainly no glamor photographer so take all my suggestions with a grain of salt and hopefully some people with more experience will chime in but I'll give you my opinions purely as an esthetic critique.

I like: majority of the light, It is directional without being too harsh it creates pleasing shadows that seperate your limbs and show the curvature and lines of your body.

I am not fond of: missing limbs. Where are your arms hunne_nau.gif ? I think on a 3/4 shot we wants to see everything above your knees :D. I think finding a way to postion yourself so that all of your wonderful limbs look intact is a good idea, maybe drape one across the top of your leg.

With the light coming from behind your head we are loosing your face to the shadow. A little bit of fill light from a reflector would highlight that gorgeous face. Also I think perhaps turning your head away from your body a bit would keep your face from looking directly head onto the camera and give it a little bit more dimenssion.

I think the pillows in the background are a little bit distracting.

I like: again the lighting I think is very pleasing

I am not fond of: again, pillows feel a bit distracting to me. I think we are essentially an abstract here so we loose the need for extranious limbs so yes I think you are correct about the hand.

I defintely like the ideas behind your images and certainly don't think you have a thing to feel self concious about but then again I think the majority of us feel a little more comfortable on the other side of the camera.

Keep them coming. We all learn from other peoples pictures and even from critiquing other peoples pictures. It helps us to learn what we can all do better, or learn techniques that we like.

Ryan
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I am not a fan of #2 at all....with or without the hand, so I will move on to #1

#1 aside from a little nit picking is bordering on extraordinary. The lighting is beautiful, as natural light so often can be. I agree, that a tad more light to emphasize the face is needed. It appears to be a fairly noisy image, but I still might try blending two versions...two seperate layers- one adjusted for exposure for the face.....with a gradient mask just to see if the face can be brightened up a tad without upping the exposure to the thigh area. A reflector, or even a flashlight could have provided the extra light needed here.

To the pillows. I like them there and like the way that they frame you and roughly help the composition to follow the rule of thirds....very nicely done!

Lastly to the arms and especially the hands. This is a tough call especially with hands as they can often become distracting in a portrait. I often find myself fretting more over hand placement and position more than any other aspect of portrait posing. I have found , though, that the most important thing with hands is to keep them relaxed, and to be carefull of having them carry more contrast than the face. I agree with the previous critique on this particular pose looking rather amputated in the arm department, and you might try something different if you ever reshoot....especially having your left arm and hand in the composition.

So there is my nit-picking, but it is still a very nice photograph.......good job....especially considering it is a SP.....which...ain't as easy as it looks.thumb.gif
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    I hate responding in this way but These look very amateurish.
    Breaking the rules by clipping body parts and laying on a couch with stains on the sheet is very unappealing.
    Take a good example from a glamor mag or even a girlie mag,this will show you a lot on posing and use of props.
    I also find the toning a bit boring,and you look a bit uncomfortable.
    Sorry if i sound so harsh,but i think with some research and practice you will like your self portraits much more.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    It is very tough to put yourself out there for raw critique. I applaude your courage. As for the pictures I agree with the cricique theme that the pictures could be very nice with some planning with lighting as well as venue and ancillary props. I think that you said these were older pictures and thus not portraying any growth in your skills since these were taken so perhaps a remake is in order and thus givng you and us a before/after perspective. That is if you are still up for sharing. I believe you have a very nice look about you and with the adjustment of venue and lighting I think you will be amazed at what a difference it will make. Keep your chin and spirits up!

:D

-Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited January 26, 2008
    D.Rodgers wrote:
    I hate responding in this way but These look very amateurish.
    Breaking the rules by clipping body parts and laying on a couch with stains on the sheet is very unappealing.
    Take a good example from a glamor mag or even a girlie mag,this will show you a lot on posing and use of props.
    I also find the toning a bit boring,and you look a bit uncomfortable.
    Sorry if i sound so harsh,but i think with some research and practice you will like your self portraits much more.

I would say that if you "hate responding in this way".....then don't respond this way. :D

If you had taken the time to at least read her first post she stated that the images were done with a $200 point and shoot. In other words, she is an amateur, and has not tried to portray herself as anything more than someone looking for critique to improve her photography.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you showed her glamour portrait examples from your own portfolio?
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Well you said to rip it apart...but I'm not going to be that brutal. I believe you have a good picture here, but it's not interesting enough. The girl is a sexy cute girl, but if you're going to do something this sensual, then why not have her in bra and panties? Not sure what that top is...but it just makes her look half dressed.

The light to the left totally blows out the proper exposure that the camera was probably trying to adjust to.

You have a colored pillow that matches or blends with her top...keep it simple - try all the same colored pillows unless you are going to with a colored picture. This is not working.

The sepia doesn't work and my eye is constantly drawn to the stain that appears just below the image.

The leg picture, you're right the hand looks awkward, and so does the blanket under her legs.

This is a beautiful girl you have here...just try other shots that are more appealing.

Don't give up just keep truckin ...I mean shootin' little buddy!thumb.gif
    edited January 26, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Well you said to rip it apart...but I'm not going to be that brutal. I believe you have a good picture here, but it's not interesting enough. The girl is a sexy cute girl, but if you're going to do something this sensual, then why not have her in bra and panties? Not sure what that top is...but it just makes her look half dressed.

The light to the left totally blows out the proper exposure that the camera was probably trying to adjust to.

You have a colored pillow that matches or blends with her top...keep it simple - try all the same colored pillows unless you are going to with a colored picture. This is not working.

The sepia doesn't work and my eye is constantly drawn to the stain that appears just below the image.

The leg picture, you're right the hand looks awkward, and so does the blanket under her legs.

This is a beautiful girl you have here...just try other shots that are more appealing.

Don't give up just keep truckin ...I mean shootin' little buddy!thumb.gif

Seneca: lol this is a self portrait!!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Seneca: lol this is a self portrait!!!

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Crapola you're right. Should've read more into the thread. Well then I hate her now for having a FLAT stomach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry

Just kidding! :D I just read "Rip me apart guys".
    edited January 26, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Crapola you're right. Should've read more into the thread. Well then I hate her now for having a FLAT stomach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry

Just kidding! :D

LMAO...she is quite cute and with some adjustments she could have some pictures that really "pop" as it were...lol.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I would say that if you "hate responding in this way".....then don't respond this way. :D

If you had taken the time to at least read her first post she stated that the images were done with a $200 point and shoot. In other words, she is an amateur, and has not tried to portray herself as anything more than someone looking for critique to improve her photography.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you showed her glamour portrait examples from your own portfolio?

What has bad posing and props have to do with using a $200 p&s.
    I carry a P&S shoot with me at all times frigging d300 gets heavy.
    She asked for critique not fluff.
    If i posted a bad image i would expect no less.
    This is the same as most things in life.
    Pretty young girl and all the men have to coddle her"come-one get real buddy"
    If she wants to learn she will appreciate a real opinion!!
    edited January 26, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    LMAO...she is quite cute and with some adjustments she could have some pictures that really "pop" as it were...lol.

Yes she is. Perhaps I'll try that pose...but put my head on her body! :ivar Yes the right lights would make the right adjustments.
    edited January 26, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Yes she is. Perhaps I'll try that pose...but put my head on her body! :ivar Yes the right lights would make the right adjustments.

lol If you do I will too!!!wings.gif lol
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:

Bring it on...!rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 26, 2008
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seneca

Just be sure to add the suggested fill light for the facesmwink.gif

Oh and my early prediction is that Randy's version will look .......awkward?
    edited January 26, 2008
    D.Rodgers wrote:
    What has bad posing and props have to do with using a $200 p&s.
    I carry a P&S shoot with me at all times frigging d300 gets heavy.
    She asked for critique not fluff.
    If i posted a bad image i would expect no less.
    This is the same as most things in life.
    Pretty young girl and all the men have to coddle her"come-one get real buddy"
    If she wants to learn she will appreciate a real opinion!!

My .02 on this is a person is more likely to accept and grow from "feedback" if it is given in a "polite" non-demeaning manor. It has nothing to do with her gender or appearance. To suggest your "rude" opinion is the only real one is I beleve a bit self centered and quite inaccurate. It's not the message but the method of delivery and choice of words. Remember this is a 2D world in the Forum and choosing one's words wisely to deliver criticism, in a lot of cases to total strangers. is as important as the critique itself.

Okay so it was .025 ... call it inflation! ne_nau.gif

-Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Bring it on...!rolleyes1.gif

wings.gif You bet...I'm waiting with baited breath!!!

-Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Just be sure to add the suggested fill light for the facesmwink.gif

Oh and my early prediction is that Randy's version will look .......awkward?

You mean my self-portrait will look awkward??headscratch.gif
    wings.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• atomicjadeatomicjade Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Hey guys, thanks a lot I really appreciate ALL the replies, so please nobody get into a skuff okay? :D

I admire everyone's honest opinion, like I said I posted them as a CRITIQUE and not a cry for attention. If you think they suck, tell me why so I can make future ones better. These pictures are three years old and really the first "self potraiture" I've ever done, yet I've done very little else in that field so I just wanted to see where I stand. I think the main point I've realized is that I need to actually THINK about my props and what I'm doing as a model which SHOULD you think be obvious... but in the mind of being 15 I just thought "Ok, I'm going to take pictures."

Keep 'em coming! Although I have no real photo equipment (as far as affecting lighting goes) it's always nice to hear shoukd "should" be done so that when I do have access to some I might have an idea of what to do. Can anyone tell me how I could've improved these shots with just the lighting I had?

Thanks again, and like I said I'm not easy to offend so bring it!
    edited January 26, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    wings.gif You bet...I'm waiting with baited breath!!!

-Randy

Ok here I go..."Lights, Camera, Action".
    edited January 26, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Ok here I go..."Lights, Camera, Action".

Laughing.gif ...turning blue here....close that shutter already!!!!! POST & PRINT!!:ivar
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    atomicjade wrote:
    Hey guys, thanks a lot I really appreciate ALL the replies, so please nobody get into a skuff okay? :D

I admire everyone's honest opinion, like I said I posted them as a CRITIQUE and not a cry for attention. If you think they suck, tell me why so I can make future ones better. These pictures are three years old and really the first "self potraiture" I've ever done, yet I've done very little else in that field so I just wanted to see where I stand. I think the main point I've realized is that I need to actually THINK about my props and what I'm doing as a model which SHOULD you think be obvious... but in the mind of being 15 I just thought "Ok, I'm going to take pictures."

Keep 'em coming! Although I have no real photo equipment (as far as affecting lighting goes) it's always nice to hear shoukd "should" be done so that when I do have access to some I might have an idea of what to do. Can anyone tell me how I could've improved these shots with just the lighting I had?

Great attitude!!! Keep shooting.:D thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    atomicjade wrote:

I admire everyone's honest opinion... but in the mind of being 15 I just thought "Ok, I'm going to take pictures."

eek7.gifeek7.gif Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    edited January 26, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    eek7.gifeek7.gif Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Laughing.gif Seneca: does your self-portrait include you typing at a keyboard? lol GET TA WORK!!!rolleyes1.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Laughing.gif ...turning blue here....close that shutter already!!!!! POST & PRINT!!:ivar

ROTFLMAO!!! :giggle

Blue huh?!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    If you are going to consider modeling or being a photographer you have to get over the fears. Heck, I was nervous to walk around with an SLR and stand out like a sore thumb so I started doing it all the time. No problem anymore. Ok maybe sometimes, lol.

Re: #1. The first thing I noticed was a missing arm, then I found it above the dark pillow and it doesn't look like a comfortable place. The placement of the other arm doesn't bother me.
    On the other hand I like the curves. Great shape and potential other than that. Definitely worth a reshoot.
    How are you shooting these? With a 10 second timer you hop into position? You may want to consider the suggestion of Model Mayhem TFP shoot finding a photog in your area who has pictures taken pics in a style you like. You may consider paying for it also, or you may consider saving for a camera with a wireless remote. mwink.gif

#2, It doesn't say anything about you really.ne_nau.gif I don't have anything good or bad to say about it. Maybe if it showed your feet? Maybe if you bent your knees at a sharper angle? Maybe if your muscles were flexed showing off definition? Maybe if it was color? Maybe if you were showing off a pair of high heels? Dunno.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited January 26, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    ROTFLMAO!!! :giggle

Blue huh?!

Yup....start'n to glow now!!!:cry
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    You mean my self-portrait will look awkward??headscratch.gif
    wings.gif

Yes... that your head pasted on that photo will look very awkward. At least shave first.....please...rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 26, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yes... that your head pasted on that photo will look very awkward. At least shave first.....please...rolleyes1.gif

LMAO...and I don't have the hips for panties...rolleyes1.gif .
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 26, 2008
    Somehow I think we've hi-jacked this thread! Sorry sweetie...and you have a great attitude. thumb.gif
    edited January 26, 2008
    atomicjade wrote:

If you have access to photoshop or photoshop elements, you could try blending two versions of the photo to get more light in the facial area without adding light to the thigh as I said before. A reflector was also mentioned. I have used foam core( the kind 15 year olds use for school projects) as an effective reflector before, and at around $2-$3 the price is right. The spots on the sheet ets can be fixed simply enough with a cloning tool. No big deal, but something you may want to correct before asking for critique. Also, if that point n shoot has a manual mode, you might be able to force a lower iso to lessen the effect of the noise. I don't really find noise to be a turn off in monotone images though, but I guess that...like everything else...is a matter of taste and or opinion. Experimentation more than anything else is the best way to learn new things. A table lamp with the shade rmoved and placed to provide light on your face would have helped. Aside from composition, it is all about the light in portrature.