Man, I feel like a woman.

2»

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    YOU are gorgeous; the photos... not so much. I read in your previous post that you're working with a less than perfect camera.. But quite honestly all I can see is how much grain and how oof they seem. I would like to see more light on your face.. but I grazed over this thread and noticed someone mention some sort of fill.. I think these could definitely benefit from that. Anyway. I'm done.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Can anyone tell me how I could've improved these shots with just the lighting I had?

I think in general the light was your friend in these shots. I like the fact that it is directional but not harsh. The main issue for me is that your face is in a shadow. Reflecting light off of something white like foam core mentioned earlier would even work. Reflect it onto your face. I think that for a self portrait that sort of staging would be pretty hard.

Get a buddy (or even better, a photographer) to help you out next time. I think if you are getting up then jumping into place as mentioned earlier is a pretty hard way to get results.I think for building YOUR photography skills I think you will probably benefit from finding some subjects where you can be behind the camera lighting, composing, perfecting your shots. I think from a learning point of view it will be tough bouncing between being the subject and the photographer.

Ryan
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • atomicjadeatomicjade Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Thanks everyone, I really enjoy reading your advice :D. And yes, it's definately just a BIT awkward, setting it up on whatever objects I can find, miraculously balancing, then focusing it and setting the timer without it moving.. aaand running into place! Haha oh well.

Seeing as I, ahem, wasn't the BEST student I'm not exactly sure what foam core is but I'll look into it. More than anything it sounds like I just need to choose whether I want to be a model or a photographer, though honestly I'd like to try both.

Thanks again guys, hopefully next time I post shots they're improved =)
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    You're indeed a very cute young girl. If you want to play a photographer, why don't you find few friends who are willing to pose for you? It would make things so much easier to learn. While you photoshooting your models, you'll be learning a lot. Positioning, lighting, mood, composition, everything. You can't possibly learn these things the way you do.
    Nothing wrong with being a model either, but for that, i would suggest to find a good photog, and may be he/she will show you a few tricks.

Keep shooting.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    1) No need to be self conscious, very pretty
    2) I kinda like that old photo lighting... but like mentioned before, the limbs are kinda hidden
    3) I like the leg photo, but maybe a vertical shot woulda been better

I still like them, i always enjoyed photos of this type and how different people portray themselves with lighting/hand placement, etc...
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I'm a fan.

The droops of hair work.

The top is 'sockish', and cool, in a cool sockish way.
    Ok..You win.
    Growing with Dgrin

• martinezphotomartinezphoto Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I like it
    Looks good to me, very simple and peaceful but at the same time maybe it shows who you are iloveyou.gif very pretty.
    www.victormartinezphoto.com

Canon eos Mark II N
    Tamron 28-70 2.8
    Canon 70-200 2.8
    Canon speedlite 580 EX flash