Options

My new BMW R12RT (was "Talk me out of it")

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in The Big Picture
The look of the new BMW R1200RT is starting to grow on me. I'm thinking about trading in my '02 RT on one. The technology employed is nothing short of brilliant, but the looks are...well...rather subjective.

Please talk me out of it, cuz I think I'm gonna be dreaming about one tonight (with Salma Hayek on the back, of course :wink)

The GS is going to the grave with me, now that it's got my mom's spirit in it. :thumb
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    another...
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    and one more...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    fish wrote:
    and one more...

Nice looking ride, Fish thumb.gif I think it is just what you need :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nice looking ride, Fish thumb.gif I think it is just what you need :D
    you aren't helping, pathy... rolleyes1.gif

kinda looks like this one, huh?

03ST1300.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    You have 2 boxers that are both good for maybe 250 000 miles before they need some minor work. The new one will feel like the old one about 2 months after you buy it.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,206 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    fish wrote:
    the new BMW R1200RT is starting to grow on me.
    Please talk me out of it, cuz I think I'm gonna be dreaming about one tonight (with Salma Hayek on the back, of course mwink.gif)thumb.gif

Does it have enough room for your camera gear? mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    fish wrote:
    you aren't helping, pathy... rolleyes1.gif

kinda looks like this one, huh?

03ST1300.jpg

I have come so close to pulling the trigger for an ST1300 several times. My friends all ride Boxers, but that ST1300 is a very nice ride that should be Honda bullet proof by now.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have come so close to pulling the trigger for an ST1300 several times. My friends all ride Boxers, but that ST1300 is a very nice ride that should be Honda bullet proof by now.

Great minds think alike Fishy. We've been down this path before, remember Christmas eve a few years ago? :D We thought a 10D would keep us happy for a long while. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Be one with the bike ...
    Fish,

Life is too short to have regrets. Get the bike ...

And if after a few months you decide you don't want it, do an Andy:D

Brad
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    We thought a 10D would keep us happy for a long while. ne_nau.gif
    .... you are a man with a heart of stone. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Does it have enough room for your camera gear? mwink.gif
    Naturally.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great minds think alike Fishy. We've been down this path before, remember Christmas eve a few years ago? :D We thought a 10D would keep us happy for a long while. ne_nau.gif

Yup...sure do. Never satisfied, are we? :cry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    fish,

You know you want it. We know you want it. Too bad we won't see it at
    the '49er :D

The more I see of it, the more I like it. But it's brand new--you should let
    someone else debug one first.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    so usuallly when someone says "talk me out of it", they're doomed mwink.gif

my dad is almost definitely getting one to replace that pig 1200CLC he let my mom talk him into last year.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:

I test rode one last fall and a Goldwing, since my local BMW dealer has some used ones and test rides are hard to find. The GW felt like a battleship, but the ST 1300 was a smile cracker. That bike is fun and fast. I don't think I could afford the speeding tickets. deal.gif :cry It did fit me well and when I raised the windshield it was quiet and no buffeting. The new RT looks good too, I am sure you will be happy keeping it or buying a new one.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    fish wrote:
    The look of the new BMW R1200RT is starting to grow on me. I'm thinking about trading in my '02 RT on one. The technology employed is nothing short of brilliant, but the looks are...well...rather subjective.

Please talk me out of it, cuz I think I'm gonna be dreaming about one tonight (with Salma Hayek on the back, of course mwink.gif)

The GS is going to the grave with me, now that it's got my mom's spirit in it. thumb.gif

you need this, fish. do it.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Fish, convert some money into happiness. It's hard to lose a parent. Stuff won't fix that pain, but I found the distraction very welcome.

Like the sage says: If not now, when?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Do it! Unless there is something that will make you happier ... like perchance buying it and giving it to a KLR owner who say... lives in Calgary Canada and goes by the moniker Shakey on Dgrin... and would be then educated in the fine art of BMW ownership.ne_nau.gif Otherwise self indulgence really can do a body good. Go for it.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Do it! Unless there is something that will make you happier ... like perchance buying it and giving it to a KLR owner who say... lives in Calgary Canada and goes by the moniker Shakey on Dgrin... and would be then educated in the fine art of BMW ownership.ne_nau.gif

That's really a good idea, but I don't know anybody like that.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    You don't need it.. you'll probably hate it.. and you'll feel really guilty.. and think of Fishwife.. think of fishkids.. they must need something much more than this piece of noisy junk.. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif did that help???1drink.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Food for thought
    From changingminds.org (via google search):
    When something happens that we find difficult to accept, then we will make up a logical reason why it has happened.

The target of rationalization is usually something that we have done, such as being unkind to another person. It may also be used when something happens independent of us which causes us discomfort, such as when a friend is unkind to us.

Example

A person evades paying taxes and then rationalizes it by talking about how the government wastes money (and how it is better for people to keep what they can).

A man buys a expensive car and then tells people his old car was very unreliable, very unsafe, etc.

A person fails to get good enough results to get into a chosen university and then says that they didn't want to go there anyway.

----
    We rationalize to ourselves. We also find it very important to rationalize to other people, even those we do not know.

When a person does something of which the moral super ego disapproves, then the ego seeks to defend itself by adding reasons that make the action acceptable to the super ego. Thus we are able to do something that is outside our values and get away with it without feeling too guilty.

This is related to our need to explain what happens. Our need for esteem also leads us to rationalize to others.

Self-Serving Bias uses rationalization when it leads to taking more credit for success than we deserve and blame others for our failures.

Rationalization is one of Freud's original defense mechanisms.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Phewwww...Man thats a relief ...so those 3 people wanted to get into that barrel in the woods last night :uhoh

all that screaming was a front then....
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    buy it man, then again why not get the fish kids and yourself some honda dirtbikes?

did i mention im a fishkid?
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    You don't need it.. you'll probably hate it.. and you'll feel really guilty.. and think of Fishwife.. think of fishkids.. they must need something much more than this piece of noisy junk.. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif did that help???1drink.gif
    I was following you right up until the "piece of noisy junk" part.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

jeebus, david...NOW I feel guilty. :uhoh
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    buy it man, then again why not get the fish kids and yourself some honda dirtbikes?
    That would be a ton of fun, but A) we have no place close to ride (yet naughty.gif); B) I haven't even been able to get my son on the back of one of my bikes yet; C) My daughter has shown zero interest in the brand new bike she got for her birthday last year, and D) uh...I can't think of a D, but it'll come to me.

I need to wait until we move out of the Silicon Valley sometime in the near future and onto a hunk-o-land that we could actually ride OHVs on before doing that, but trust me...I've definitely thought about it.

So back to the new RT. The front isn't nearly as sexy as my '02 RT, but the new one is overall a much mo betta bike. Hell, just the fixed brakes and no-maint driveline is enough for me at this point.

did i mention im a fishkid?
    Sorry mang, I'm not your sugar daddy...you're looking for the Mad Russian. naughty.gif

Patch, how could you have ridden a new bike last fall that hasn't even shown up on the dealer's floor yet? headscratch.gif

BTW, this would be my 4th RT. :D
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    fine then be that way, deny me why dont you.

how about something sporty? like an aprilia tuono? i like them, hell everyone likes them, so im sure you will too. i rode a used one before my accident and i loved it i could definately use a bike like that. then again you might not like the sport bike thing, and i know you arent a cruiser guy. but if you have an RT thats only 2 years old, im sure there has to be a better place for your money to go.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Patch, how could you have ridden a new bike last fall that hasn't even shown up on the dealer's floor yet? headscratch.gif

I test rode a used GW and a used ST 1300, at my local BMW dealership. I guess I was not super clear via my quote. The ST was fast. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Does fishwife know that you are very involved with this internet site where people tell you that you absolutely must go out right now and buy a new expensive motorcycle (or lens or camera or whatever?)

Please don't tell her that I am involved.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    fish wrote:
    So back to the new RT. The front isn't nearly as sexy as my '02 RT, but the new one is overall a much mo betta bike. Hell, just the fixed brakes and no-maint driveline is enough for me at this point. [...] BTW, this would be my 4th RT. :D
    Somehow this makes me believe that nobody will be able to talk you out of it. So go ahead, buy it, ride it and enjoy it. But don't say anyone I said anything about the buying part... mwink.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there