Options

PicLens Plugin for Firefox

124»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    Here's a new thought on PicLens. I have a wide range of emotions regarding it
    Hi, Piclens is an independent, 3rd party app :) We didn't make it, but lots of folks love it. We list it on our hacks and apps page, for your convenience. Piclens reads this thread and will be happy for your feedback, for sure. Thanks!
  • Options
    jwalkerohjwalkeroh Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    PicLens Plugin and Categories
    Found an interesting issue using PicLens when a category is being displayed. Navigate to http://www.moonriverphotography.com/Galleries and then launch the PicLens plugin. It says "? This site does not yet support PicLnes...". If you select a gallery from that category and then launch the Piclens plugin, it seems to work fine. What's up with that?

It seems to me that launching PicLens from such a category display should result in the all images the galleries in that category being displayed in PicLens.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    Email to PicLens Support
    darryl wrote:
    I think it's a bug in PicLens Lite. The PicLens plug-in can find and parse the correct feed (which should be the rss+xml one). I'll drop a note to PicLens support.

--Darryl

Darryl,
    I sent a couple emails to bugs@piclens.com and they have not responded. Do you have a more direct route to their support? Did you already contact them about the PicLens Lite issue? There also seems to be issues with the plugin processing feeds correctly (see above).
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    Darryl,
    I sent a couple emails to bugs@piclens.com and they have not responded. Do you have a more direct route to their support? Did you already contact them about the PicLens Lite issue? There also seems to be issues with the plugin processing feeds correctly (see above).

Yeah, they said the PicLens Lite issue is "a problem with the feed". So no help whatsoever, and no acknowledgement that it's *their* problem if it works in the plug-in but not w/ PicLens Lite.

Kinda lame, but then, I think they have a pretty barebones staff, and one of their developers recently left to go work for Microsoft. :-/
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    The challenge of PicLens: Right now PicLens is intrusive and SM has little control. Once a user installs the plugin, PicLens does what it wants with its UI -- favorable or not to SM and its customers and users.

The first thing to love or hate is the PicLens play buttons that are thrust onto our carefully designed sites and selected thumbs. Hit the mysterious button and away goes the user into a UI that may or may not be desirable for them, and may or may not help or hurt our individual efforts to craft sites for our products. I'm not crazy about giving a plugin that much freedom over what I present to my users.

Hey J -- you can't prevent people from installing whatever plug-in they want, or whatever browser they use, for that matter. (Even though some sites apparently get mad at people using Firefox + Adblocker plug-ins.)

I think the only way to disable PicLens working on your site would be to remove the link to your RSS feed that looks like this:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: darryl > Bumbershoot 2007 - Saturday RSS feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=4029042_TmdiW&amp;format=rss200" />

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to get rid of that. If you're really concerned about people using PicLens to view your albums, then you need to ask SmugMug to give you an option to disable that link.

Oh, the other way to disable PicLens is to disable external linking. But if you wanted to still allow linking and disable PicLens, you'd need to get rid of that link.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Yeah, they said the PicLens Lite issue is "a problem with the feed". So no help whatsoever, and no acknowledgement that it's *their* problem if it works in the plug-in but not w/ PicLens Lite.

Kinda lame, but then, I think they have a pretty barebones staff, and one of their developers recently left to go work for Microsoft. :-/

They are still not responding to my email. What address are you using or how are you contacting them?

If it's a problem with the feed, then we should be able to get from PicLens documentation on how they are using the feed and compare that to the documentation from SmugMug as to how they are building the feed, and debug the problem ourselves. Or better yet, the techs from those two groups could take a look at the issue.

I think it's in their best interest because it is a slick way to browse through a large gallery or even your whole site and it does add a bit of wow when you show it to some others.

How do we get SmugMug to take a more active interest?

I for one want it to work correctly and consistently.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Hey J -- you can't prevent people from installing whatever plug-in they want, or whatever browser they use, for that matter. (Even though some sites apparently get mad at people using Firefox + Adblocker plug-ins.)

I think the only way to disable PicLens working on your site would be to remove the link to your RSS feed that looks like this:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: darryl > Bumbershoot 2007 - Saturday RSS feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=4029042_TmdiW&amp;format=rss200" />

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to get rid of that. If you're really concerned about people using PicLens to view your albums, then you need to ask SmugMug to give you an option to disable that link.

Oh, the other way to disable PicLens is to disable external linking. But if you wanted to still allow linking and disable PicLens, you'd need to get rid of that link.

Doesn't the SmugMug slideshow also use that link/feed? Maybe SmugMug and PicLens could work together to set a variable somewhere that would indicate to PicLens not to run for a particular page or site.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Oh, I knew you were gonna say that. The thing with PicLens is that it parses the current page and looks for the feed on that page. Essentially, you can't really edit the URL. (Sure, I suppose you could embed the URL somewhere in the comments... oh wait, maybe I could use some JavaScript to tack that on to all feeds. Ew. Well, I suppose it might be an interesting test.)

Wonder if you could show some examples of using Javascript to alter the content of the feeds. I'd like to supply a custom logo in the <atom:icon>, and I'd like to adjust the content of the descriptions so they display better. I tried Darryls technique of saving the feed off to another site and changing it, and that works fine as a test. So how can we change the feed on our own SmugMug site so it results in better display in PicLens?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    Wonder if you could show some examples of using Javascript to alter the content of the feeds. I'd like to supply a custom logo in the <atom:icon>, and I'd like to adjust the content of the descriptions so they display better. I tried Darryls technique of saving the feed off to another site and changing it, and that works fine as a test. So how can we change the feed on our own SmugMug site so it results in better display in PicLens?

Howdy. You're not going to be able to change the feed SmugMug serves up because your Javascript changes do not apply to the /hack/feed.mg page that generates the feed.

However, if you had access to another server, you could use Javascript to modify the RSS link in each SmugMug gallery page to point to your server (with the original feed passed through as the argument). Then a script on your server could parse the original feed, tweak it as necessary and serve the feed to the user.

Basically I'm proposing you could use some Javascript to change this:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: gladlee > Squaw Then and Now RSS feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=3939362_bYJ4x&amp;format=rss200" />

To this:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: gladlee > Squaw Then and Now RSS feed" href="http://yourserver.com/addmylogo.php?/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=3939362_bYJ4x&amp;format=rss200" />

Where the http://yourserver.com/addmylogo.php script would grab the original feed and then spit back your modified version of said feed.

It's a pretty gnarly hack, but doable.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Howdy. You're not going to be able to change the feed SmugMug serves up because your Javascript changes do not apply to the /hack/feed.mg page that generates the feed.

However, if you had access to another server, you could use Javascript to modify the RSS link in each SmugMug gallery page to point to your server (with the original feed passed through as the argument). Then a script on your server could parse the original feed, tweak it as necessary and serve the feed to the user.

Basically I'm proposing you could use some Javascript to change this:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: gladlee > Squaw Then and Now RSS feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=3939362_bYJ4x&amp;format=rss200" />

To this:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: gladlee > Squaw Then and Now RSS feed" href="http://yourserver.com/addmylogo.php?/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=3939362_bYJ4x&amp;format=rss200" />

Where the http://yourserver.com/addmylogo.php script would grab the original feed and then spit back your modified version of said feed.

It's a pretty gnarly hack, but doable.

Hmmm. I see how it is doable. I'd like to pursue more.
    Grasping at straws for another idea that may not require another server: What about using Javascript to add another link tag in the head section with an href that is a "same page link", or modify the existing link tag's href, and pull the xml from the real feed and somehow stuff it in the page so the new/modified link would use it at the same page location instead of the feed data stored on the server? Something like:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: gladlee > Squaw Then and Now RSS feed" href="#my_feed" />

Do you know if something like this is possible?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    Hmmm. I see how it is doable. I'd like to pursue more.
    Grasping at straws for another idea that may not require another server: What about using Javascript to add another link tag in the head section with an href that is a "same page link", or modify the existing link tag's href, and pull the xml from the real feed and somehow stuff it in the page so the new/modified link would use it at the same page location instead of the feed data stored on the server? Something like:
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: gladlee > Squaw Then and Now RSS feed" href="#my_feed" />

Do you know if something like this is possible?

Oooh. I didn't think you could do this with JavaScript, but apparently you can:
    DONOTJUSTPUTTHISINYOURJAVASCRIPTSECTION.document.body.innerHTML=document.body.innerHTML.replace(/.*/g,'');
    DONOTJUSTPUTTHISINYOURJAVASCRIPTSECTION.document.body.innerHTML='<html><title>Wow</title><body>What a hack!</body></html>';

Sick.

So, now all you have to do is write JavaScript code to grab the RSS feed and then add what you want to it and replace the HTML of that "vanity URL" page with that XML.

Here's the code I used to grab (and parse, which you shouldn't need to do) an RSS feed:
    http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/09/13/rss-and-ajax-a-simple-news-reader.html?page=2

What's a "vanity URL"?
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=355505#post355505

Oof, are you sure you don't just want to get a free PHP account somewhere? I'd hate to code this in JavaScript.

Oh man, scary -- it works: http://gladlee.smugmug.com/blank

With DevBobo's hasPath in my Header Javascript:
    function hasPath(sPath)
    {
      re = new RegExp("\/" + sPath + "(\/|$)");
      return re.test(window.location)
    }

I put this into my Footer Javascript:
    if (hasPath("blank")) {
    document.body.innerHTML='<title>Wow</title>Dude, you are freaking me out.  This page is completely empty.';
    }

• Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    So I think we hit on something!!! Now that I know it's possible, I'll give it a try, but will probably take me a few days to find the time...

Hate to demonstrate my newness to all this, but what do you mean by " Oof, are you sure you don't just want to get a free PHP account somewhere? I'd hate to code this in JavaScript."?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    So I think we hit on something!!! Now that I know it's possible, I'll give it a try, but will probably take me a few days to find the time...

Hate to demonstrate my newness to all this, but what do you mean by " Oof, are you sure you don't just want to get a free PHP account somewhere? I'd hate to code this in JavaScript."?

Well actually, this morning I realized that JavaScript hackery most likely will *not* work. I really don't think the PicLens client has a JavaScript parser that will properly replace a page with XML that you feed it.

By PHP, I mean you would change the link rel to something like: http://yoursite.site88.net/feedmunger.php/http://yoursite.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?youroriginalRSSfeed

The feedmunger.php script on site88.net (which offers free PHP hosting) would grab the feed ($_SERVER) using curl or fopen, modify the XML to add your custom icon, and then serve it back up as a real XML file.

I'm fairly sure the JavaScript thing will not work. But doing this in PHP should be pretty easy, if you've got a little programming background.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Well actually, this morning I realized that JavaScript hackery most likely will *not* work. I really don't think the PicLens client has a JavaScript parser that will properly replace a page with XML that you feed it.

We'll see. It will be an interesting challenge. They're just going after a linked page that happens to be XML. If what we point them at from our modified link is XML then it should work -- my thought is their parser shouldn't know the difference.
    darryl wrote:
    By PHP, I mean you would change the link rel to something like: http://yoursite.site88.net/feedmunger.php/http://yoursite.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?youroriginalRSSfeed

The feedmunger.php script on site88.net (which offers free PHP hosting) would grab the feed ($_SERVER) using curl or fopen, modify the XML to add your custom icon, and then serve it back up as a real XML file.

I'm fairly sure the JavaScript thing will not work. But doing this in PHP should be pretty easy, if you've got a little programming background.

I see what you are saying about PHP. The only issue I have about hosting pieces parts on differnt servers is a) dependence on more than one service being available for users to have a good experience, and b) some companies filter content and some servers such as xxx.googlepages are on the hit lists. Some of the site88.net content seems to be missing too, therefore customers may experience similar issues, so keeping everything on one server is probably better in the long run.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    We'll see. It will be an interesting challenge. They're just going after a linked page that happens to be XML. If what we point them at from our modified link is XML then it should work -- my thought is their parser shouldn't know the difference.

The problem is that the PicLens plug-in does not speak JavaScript. Without JavaScript, the hack I mentioned above will not display XML.

I've tested this here: http://gladlee.smugmug.com/blank/

Basically I replaced all the HTML on the page with the RSS feed from this gallery: http://gladlee.smugmug.com/gallery/3939362_bYJ4x

As you can see, the XML is displayed in the browser, but if you click on the PicLens icon, you get my "Recent Images" feed, which is still in the original HTML of the home page, which PicLens is still reading because it doesn't do anything with the JavaScript.
    I see what you are saying about PHP. The only issue I have about hosting pieces parts on differnt servers is a) dependence on more than one service being available for users to have a good experience, and b) some companies filter content and some servers such as xxx.googlepages are on the hit lists. Some of the site88.net content seems to be missing too, therefore customers may experience similar issues, so keeping everything on one server is probably better in the long run.

Yeah, well, since SmugMug isn't a webhosting service, and there are limitations to what you can do with JavaScript hacks, I don't see much of an alternative. Sorry. I'm a big fan of Pair.com, and their new pairlite.com service is pretty inexpensive. (It's likely that the blocked sites are the "free" sites.)
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    Yesterday PicLens ackknowledged to me via email that PicLensLite does have a bug trying to read/use SmugMug feeds and they are attempting to fix it in PicLensLite.
  • Options
    mteichermteicher Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    "Pic Lens" support?
    Pics lens web page states it supports smugmug, but couldn't find what I need to modify on my web page to have my pages show in pic lens ?/

help would be greatly appreciated.

/thx

/mark
    Mark Teicher
    Principle Photographer/Co-Founder
    Body Bumpers, LLC
    PH: 717 918 1262
    Fax: 831 480 5873
    url: www.body-bumpers.com
    email: mteicher@body-bumpers.com
  • Options
    corbosmancorbosman Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Just install piclens browser plugin. http://www.piclens.com/
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Pics Lens
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    Yesterday PicLens ackknowledged to me via email that PicLensLite does have a bug trying to read/use SmugMug feeds and they are attempting to fix it in PicLensLite.

I couldn't get any of my pages to come up in Pics Lens, the search generates 0 results

/mark
    Mark Teicher
    Body Bumpers, LLC
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    mteicher wrote:
    I couldn't get any of my pages to come up in Pics Lens, the search generates 0 results

/mark

There are two products: 1) PicLens plugin for the browser, and 2) PicLensLite that is a javascript program you can load in your site and call. If you have the PicLens plugin installed in the browser, then you will see the the PicLens 3D Wall if you a) select the PicLens icon on the browser toolbar, b) select one of the PicLens icons that the plugin inserts into gallery thumbnails, or c) call PicLensLite. If you do not have the plugin installed and you call PicLensLite, then you get the broken (at least for now) PicLensLite javascript viewer and not the full 3D Wall. It only works when you are on pages that have RSS feeds on them, such as the homepage and all of the galleries, but not category pages as they don't have feeds.

I've tried the plugin both in FF and IE and it works nicely.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    PicsLens
    I thought there was a section of code you plug into the header section of the page ??

<head> <title></title> <link rel="alternate" href="photos.rss" type="application/rss+xml" title="" id="gallery" /> ******** type="text/javascript" src="http://lite.piclens.com/current/piclens.js"></******** </head>
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    There are two products: 1) PicLens plugin for the browser, and 2) PicLensLite that is a javascript program you can load in your site and call. If you have the PicLens plugin installed in the browser, then you will see the the PicLens 3D Wall if you a) select the PicLens icon on the browser toolbar, b) select one of the PicLens icons that the plugin inserts into gallery thumbnails, or c) call PicLensLite. If you do not have the plugin installed and you call PicLensLite, then you get the broken (at least for now) PicLensLite javascript viewer and not the full 3D Wall. It only works when you are on pages that have RSS feeds on them, such as the homepage and all of the galleries, but not category pages as they don't have feeds.

I've tried the plugin both in FF and IE and it works nicely.

Hope this helps.
    Mark Teicher
    Body Bumpers, LLC
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    mteicher wrote:
    I thought there was a section of code you plug into the header section of the page ??

<head> <title></title> <link rel="alternate" href="photos.rss" type="application/rss+xml" title="" id="gallery" /> ******** type="text/javascript" src="http://lite.piclens.com/current/piclens.js"></******** </head>

That's the RSS feed that SumgMug provides automatically. PicLens auto-detects the feed in the page and uses it. Try 'view source' on one of your gallery pages and you'll see the feed up near the top.

You must be reading the PicLens documentation, and it includes information for web site admins to allow them to enable their site to be PicLens ready. SmugMug already did all that, and PicLens adapted their plugin to read the feeds that SmugMug provides. PicLens still has a problem in PicLensLite that they say they are working to resolve.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Pics Lens support
    That isn't quite accurate, one can disable RSS feeds on their smugmug site if they choose to. I did read the documentation for PicLens, the problem is still there, I see some smug muggers have coded around it to account for the issue, (i.e. placing a button on their site) but the search function within the piclens is definitely not working correctly. My RSS feeds sometimes pickup all my albums and then other days it does not
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    That's the RSS feed that SumgMug provides automatically. PicLens auto-detects the feed in the page and uses it. Try 'view source' on one of your gallery pages and you'll see the feed up near the top.

You must be reading the PicLens documentation, and it includes information for web site admins to allow them to enable their site to be PicLens ready. SmugMug already did all that, and PicLens adapted their plugin to read the feeds that SmugMug provides. PicLens still has a problem in PicLensLite that they say they are working to resolve.
    Mark Teicher
    Body Bumpers, LLC
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    mteicher wrote:
    That isn't quite accurate, one can disable RSS feeds on their smugmug site if they choose to. I did read the documentation for PicLens, the problem is still there, I see some smug muggers have coded around it to account for the issue, (i.e. placing a button on their site) but the search function within the piclens is definitely not working correctly. My RSS feeds sometimes pickup all my albums and then other days it does not

If you supply the urls to some of your pages that you feel are not working correctly with PicLens, I'll be glad to take a look.
  • Options
    lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Any news of a fix?
    jwalkeroh wrote:

I don't suppose they gave you any hint as to what the problem is and if they are going to be able fix it? I just discovered Piclens and want to promote it on my personal site for my galleries on SM. Pretty cool.

Thanks!
    Drew
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    [PICSLENS] Hint
    The posts to date, don't provide any real information on how to embed the piclens code in our sm pages.. I have not heard back from piclens tech support. I know my RSS feeds work, as I get updated with them..

lokerd wrote:
    I don't suppose they gave you any hint as to what the problem is and if they are going to be able fix it? I just discovered Piclens and want to promote it on my personal site for my galleries on SM. Pretty cool.

Thanks!
    Drew
    Mark Teicher
    Body Bumpers, LLC
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    mteicher wrote:
    The posts to date, don't provide any real information on how to embed the piclens code in our sm pages.. I have not heard back from piclens tech support. I know my RSS feeds work, as I get updated with them..

check out post #85 (this thread) for embedding code...
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2008
    I agree. Post #85 is where I started with embedded code. It works as we have been saying. If you also have the plugin installed, then if you launch the PicLensLite javascript on your gallery page then you will see the full plugin PicLens 3D Wall. If you don't have the plugin installed, then you will see the PicLensLite viewer and only see one image from the feed. That's the broken part.

No I haven't heard news of a fix yet, but SmugMug support (Markham) has exchanged at least one email with them. I hope the issue is resolved soon.
  • Options
    HumpreyCogayHumpreyCogay Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Great Free 3d App for your Pictures Online

As a Programmer I always find time to look for new technologies, and as well, try to implement them on some of my projects, here at the bank where I work as an IT Consultant. Looking around the web I stumble upon this great Plugin for Web Browsers, PICLENS(http://piclens.com/).

If you have questions Feel free to post replies.

Heres My Initial try. Please Install PicLens First.... Click the Start Slide Show PicLens after clicking the link below
    http://h.1asphost.com/HumpreyCogay/PICLENSEXERCISE/gallery.html

Sample Screen Shot of My Initial Test
    PictLens.JPG?et=mhPq4FFqTcsR%2CqR9ZWWPrg&nmid=98188566

If you have questions Feel free to post...