Options

DVD Burning Software

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited February 8, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I posted a question earlier about which DVD's are the best to use to copy your photos to....but no response :cry

Thats ok tho...I have another question :D I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

I have Roxio Creator on my computer for burning to DVD's. Only it doesn't have the option to keep my DVD's open to add more files to it later. Does anyone know of a downloading software program that can be used to do this with DVD's? I would like to do this with DVD+R's instead of getting RW's

Thank--you.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    a bit on bu software and also on which disks I recommend
    which Creator # do you have......mine (Creator 7 and I know it is upto at least 10 now....might want to contact Roxio instead of buying new software) just isn't recognizeing my dvd's but it gives option in both cd and dvd for adding more but Ihave mine set to finalize to be read on ANY drive ......so the add to option doiesn't appear any more.....so Ijust wot until I have around 3.9 gbs and burn the whole disk.....

Good luck.....

I musta missed you ?'s on which disk are best.....first of all DO NOT purchase anything that is a store brand, I got really burned purchasing 100 compusa disks.....I had no more than burned them and they started showing up as corrupted disks (this was before I had a spare hdd to use as back up so I have several M of semi lost photos.......

Secondly try to stay away from dyed disks if possible they do not last as long as a foil disk.......they will be some that will not agreee with me and that is fine as we all have had our good and bad experiences....but speaking from the fact that I have burned and delivered over 30,000 CD's for clients that ranged from first time recital givers to mega stars of opera and various genres of music......We quit using any dyed disks (sony used a blue green dye and touted them the best), then we went to silver and silver foil...silver foil did not have the fall out of the dyed disks but we found MitSui (Mam-A) gold....these are a professional recording disk now made in various dvd formats and ZI would trust them over any other brand out there ......yes they are expensive BUT are you truly wanting to achive for longevity or just for a short term of a few years......there is a reason that the recording industry doe not use them....THEY LAST I have disk that got constantly played for over 5 yrs scratched to heck and back and still played (and yes I was using a pro player {Denon to be exact}.....from Mam-A you can get unbranded (blank disks needing to have peel and stick inkjet labels) or unbranded printable disks......now you can also get Mam-A in silver foil but again they are not as good as the gold.......Mam-A invented the use of pure gold foil for recording disks and sell them branded under other names like Delkin Archival Gold also.........

God Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    which Creator # do you have......mine (Creator 7 and I know it is upto at least 10 now....might want to contact Roxio instead of buying new software) just isn't recognizeing my dvd's but it gives option in both cd and dvd for adding more but Ihave mine set to finalize to be read on ANY drive ......so the add to option doiesn't appear any more.....so Ijust wot until I have around 3.9 gbs and burn the whole disk.....

Good luck.....

I musta missed you ?'s on which disk are best.....first of all DO NOT purchase anything that is a store brand, I got really burned purchasing 100 compusa disks.....I had no more than burned them and they started showing up as corrupted disks (this was before I had a spare hdd to use as back up so I have several M of semi lost photos.......

Secondly try to stay away from dyed disks if possible they do not last as long as a foil disk.......they will be some that will not agreee with me and that is fine as we all have had our good and bad experiences....but speaking from the fact that I have burned and delivered over 30,000 CD's for clients that ranged from first time recital givers to mega stars of opera and various genres of music......We quit using any dyed disks (sony used a blue green dye and touted them the best), then we went to silver and silver foil...silver foil did not have the fall out of the dyed disks but we found MitSui (Mam-A) gold....these are a professional recording disk now made in various dvd formats and ZI would trust them over any other brand out there ......yes they are expensive BUT are you truly wanting to achive for longevity or just for a short term of a few years......there is a reason that the recording industry doe not use them....THEY LAST I have disk that got constantly played for over 5 yrs scratched to heck and back and still played (and yes I was using a pro player {Denon to be exact}.....from Mam-A you can get unbranded (blank disks needing to have peel and stick inkjet labels) or unbranded printable disks......now you can also get Mam-A in silver foil but again they are not as good as the gold.......Mam-A invented the use of pure gold foil for recording disks and sell them branded under other names like Delkin Archival Gold also.........

God Luck

My program is the Roxio Creator DE...not a clue as to what version it is, but know it won't do what I want which upsets me.

I will check on upgrading. As for setting it up for what I want it to do...if I need some help can you lead me thru the steps? I'm a person who needs the "Step Thru Process" rolleyes1.gif

Yeah....I felt lost with no one responding to me about DVD's :D I was hoping you would see it as I remember you mentioning something about Sony Gold. Am I correct? Good information for me on the DVD's. I will have to look into the Delkin Archival Gold. Bet they are spendie.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    My program is the Roxio Creator DE...not a clue as to what version it is, but know it won't do what I want which upsets me.
    /quote]

I find a lot of the time that there is NO software to do things I would like it tooo.....

Exactly what Roxio do you have.....the label ofthe disk has all the info....I am reasking cause I have never heard of a DE version....I have been burning with Roxio ever since version 3, then got 5 now 7...so I will try to lead you, I am not a guru by any means when it comes to software (or anything else for that matter.) but I will try................hopefully a real wiz will come to our rescue soon:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Dogdots wrote:
    /quote]

I find a lot of the time that there is NO software to do things I would like it tooo.....

Exactly what Roxio do you have.....the label ofthe disk has all the info....I am reasking cause I have never heard of a DE version....I have been burning with Roxio ever since version 3, then got 5 now 7...so I will try to lead you, I am not a guru by any means when it comes to software (or anything else for that matter.) but I will try................hopefully a real wiz will come to our rescue soon:D

I'm really getting angry now....I can't even open this dang program and copy something onto my CD-RW headscratch.gif Why would that be?

Ok...the discs says...Roxio by Sonic Solutions....roxio creator and My DVD 9.0 DE....is just a program that came on my computer which I just got last week....which I'm ready to throw out the window and hook up my old slow one.

I have a feeling this is just a crap software they put on.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    go into Roxio Creator....see if there is a ( mine is Roxio Easy Media Creator Home 7.5)...when I clik on the link under "START".....then i have the Roxio menus....I always use "CREATOR CLASSIC" ...under applications ......after loading the desired file s to burn .....clik the burn ICON towards the middle right and then a new page should appear that offers to allow burning as a read on any player or add to disk options......if not then the version you have is some sort of trial...limited edition.....meaning it does not have all of the functionality as a retail copy.......i bought mine offebay I do believe and I was able to upgrade once..........I have since misplaced my Key code and will have to rebuy the newer version to get back ob track......I have never liked using the windows burner that started comeing with XP and don't like Nero either...neither seem to work as easily as the Roxio Suites.....

Hope this Helps.....

EDIT: ROXIO'S HOMEPAGE

• Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    go into Roxio Creator....see if there is a ( mine is Roxio Easy Media Creator Home 7.5)...when I clik on the link under "START".....then i have the Roxio menus....I always use "CREATOR CLASSIC" ...under applications ......after loading the desired file s to burn .....clik the burn ICON towards the middle right and then a new page should appear that offers to allow burning as a read on any player or add to disk options......if not then the version you have is some sort of trial...limited edition.....meaning it does not have all of the functionality as a retail copy.......i bought mine offebay I do believe and I was able to upgrade once..........I have since misplaced my Key code and will have to rebuy the newer version to get back ob track......I have never liked using the windows burner that started comeing with XP and don't like Nero either...neither seem to work as easily as the Roxio Suites.....

Hope this Helps.....

EDIT: ROXIO'S HOMEPAGE

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I don't even have a "START" rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Yeah...its just a simple program I have.....I talked with Dell today and the guy finally gave up with the program and used Windows :D

I know what you mean....even the Roxio I have looks so easy to use.

You mention in your steps that when you get to the option of burn allowing read on any player or add to disk options....which do you pick? And do you have to do that step each time you burn something.

I thank you for you expertise with this program :D

Excuse any mis-spellings...my spell check isn't working....another problem....I can't get it to download and now it won't even give me the option..... rolleyes1.gif

I should just go watch the football game :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Forget Roxio...just download Deepburner Free. It allows creation of 'open' cd/dvds

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=products&pr=deepburner&prr=features
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Forget Roxio...just download Deepburner Free. It allows creation of 'open' cd/dvds

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=products&pr=deepburner&prr=features

How long have you used this one and why do you like it over Windows way of downloading?
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    How long have you used this one and why do you like it over Windows way of downloading?

Used it for over two years.

Not sure what you mean by "Windows way of downloading?" Deepburner is CD/DVD burning software. As far as I know, Windows does very little in the way of CD burning. I know that WMP can burn music to a CD, but otherwise, it is limited. Deepburner is much like Roxio or Nero, only free. Simply drag and drop files or folders and click burn. Lots of options including leaving the session open, which is what you were after I believe.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    cmason wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "Windows way of downloading?" Deepburner is CD/DVD burning software. As far as I know, Windows does very little in the way of CD burning. I know that WMP can burn music to a CD, but otherwise, it is limited. Deepburner is much like Roxio or Nero, only free. Simply drag and drop files or folders and click burn. Lots of options including leaving the session open, which is what you were after I believe.

Yes that is what I am after. Thank you for letting me know how long you have been using the program. Its nice to know that -- sometimes people recommend something, but never tried it.

I have been playing around with the windows download---you know put a Dvd in the drive and the window pops up with options to open file....burn...etc. Well I can burn it in "Live File" and then just drag and drop what I wan to copy. I can also delete files to....all after formating the disc first.

Now this seems just alittle to simple. I'm sure some programs burn better then others. Have you ever tried this method or know the draw backs to using it? Like does it degrade the photo any...etc.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    cmason wrote:

Oops...forgot to ask...is burning different than coping to a disc? Or is that a really dumb question?
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Are you using a DVD Rewritable disc? Is your PC set up to use this disk as a 'virtual harddrive'? Sometimes you get programs, and I believe Roxio does this, that will allow you to use your DVD drive as a virtual disk, by using a DVD RW and constantly writing and deleting. If you have a DVD RW, then this is what you are doing. I don't know of any Windows OS capability that will allow you to add and REMOVE files from a DVD like this. Adding is simple, and yes Windows can do this, but it is limited, and I do not think it can create an open session, where you can add files today, then add again tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Are you using a DVD Rewritable disc? Is your PC set up to use this disk as a 'virtual harddrive'? Sometimes you get programs, and I believe Roxio does this, that will allow you to use your DVD drive as a virtual disk, by using a DVD RW and constantly writing and deleting. If you have a DVD RW, then this is what you are doing. I don't know of any Windows OS capability that will allow you to add and REMOVE files from a DVD like this. Adding is simple, and yes Windows can do this, but it is limited, and I do not think it can create an open session, where you can add files today, then add again tomorrow.

No I'm using a DVD+R disc. I was told that you can now use the +/-R discs and add to them and also delete from them. So I put my disc in and Autoplay comes up and asks me what I want to do. I just click copy data and it opens up. I change the formatting to Live File and then a box pops up and I can just drag my files onto it. I can add more files to it later and also delete. I've tried it with a few discs and it works. I've added different ways...drag and drop, etc. Also I've removed the disc and reopened it and deleted from it. Makes me wonder how hard it is copied to the disc...if that makes any sense. What do you think?

Maybe someone out there has and does do it this way. I don't know. Anyone reading this....have you done this process?

I am concerened tho because I'm thinking a Windows program of some kind is doing this, but not sure really. New computer....but its not the Roxio program that is doing this. My other concern is that its so easy to do. I'm not use to easy :D

Virtual Harddrive? I won't have a clue...
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    No I'm using a DVD+R disc. I was told that you can now use the +/-R discs and add to them and also delete from them. So I put my disc in and Autoplay comes up and asks me what I want to do. I just click copy data and it opens up. I change the formatting to Live File and then a box pops up and I can just drag my files onto it. I can add more files to it later and also delete. I've tried it with a few discs and it works. I've added different ways...drag and drop, etc. Also I've removed the disc and reopened it and deleted from it. Makes me wonder how hard it is copied to the disc...if that makes any sense. What do you think?

Maybe someone out there has and does do it this way. I don't know. Anyone reading this....have you done this process?

I am concerened tho because I'm thinking a Windows program of some kind is doing this, but not sure really. New computer....but its not the Roxio program that is doing this. My other concern is that its so easy to do. I'm not use to easy :D

Virtual Harddrive? I won't have a clue...

The only way you can write to any disk over and over is if it is a RW...... re-writable disk.....meaning it can be erased or formatted to clean the information form the disk.....a -R or +R are a write once disk from what I understand......

The start button I refered to is in the lower left corner of all windows computers....it has that little MS emblem and says start on it....that is where all programs links are hidden........

• Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    The only way you can write to any disk over and over is if it is a RW...... re-writable disk.....meaning it can be erased or formatted to clean the information form the disk.....a -R or +R are a write once disk from what I understand......

The start button I refered to is in the lower left corner of all windows computers....it has that little MS emblem and says start on it....that is where all programs links are hidden........

Duh...I'm slowrolleyes1.gif ...just kidding...only on this dang stuff. I will try that start button :D

I've been using my DVD+R discs today -- I don't have any DVD-RW's. It works. I was told they are making them to be able to add and delete since the RW's aren't very dependable. I really didn't believe it as I couldn't make it work till the guy from Dell showed me.

Maybe you would try it and see what you think. Its always good to have someone who does this all the time try something out and get their opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    the only time i was able to do anything like this was when i had Roxio, and it added a little program that enabled this activity with a CD RW. But it was flaky, and the CDs usually ended up unreadable, especially if the sesssion never got closed.

Cant advise you on this, because you should not be able to delete from a DVD R, so not sure what is happening or what is making it happen. But I for one would not be relying on it for critical files.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Art...I just looked and tried again with Roxio. I have the Options in the Data Disc box that I can click I would like to use discs for more then one recording. I do that, but the disc doesn't let me record more then once. I think I have either a bad software program or that isn't enabled in my program, but looks like it is.

Dell had told me that my Roxio program can't do this. Guess I should believe the guy, but you never know what the person on the other end know sometimes.....guess he was right.....so I should upgrade it.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    the only time i was able to do anything like this was when i had Roxio, and it added a little program that enabled this activity with a CD RW. But it was flaky, and the CDs usually ended up unreadable, especially if the sesssion never got closed.

Cant advise you on this, because you should not be able to delete from a DVD R, so not sure what is happening or what is making it happen. But I for one would not be relying on it for critical files.

I see what your saying.....and I don't feel comfortable with it. Really has me somewhat confused.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    For backups or archives on write once media (CD-R, DVD+R or DVD-R) I highly recommend writing the entire disc in one session. Multi-session discs can have compatibility problems which make them unreadable. Just save up enough data to fill a disc before you backup.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Lots of confusion on this thread.

Let's keep the discussion to DVD+R (not RW) - everything I'm going to say is for DVD+R or DVD-R and NOT DVD+RW.

What you're talking about is creating a "multi-session" disc. This allows you to write information to the DVD but to not finalize the index table. This means that the muti-session DVD can be written to again. BUT - you aren't deleting from the disc, you're only adding to it. So you can record 1GB worth of info in a burn and then a few weeks later ADD another 3GB of info before closing the session and making the disc permanent. While working in the session (before you've closed/finalized the disc) you will only be able to read the info on the DVD in a select number of computer DVD Burners (including the one you burned it on). You can't start a multi-session disc, put 1GB of info on it, and take it to grandma's house with any confidance that it will work on her PC. You've got to end the session before you can be sure it will work else.

My question is this: with DVD+Rs so inexpensive these days - why bother? Why not just always finalize the disc, always be sure it will work in any computer and burn a new one (throwing away the old) when the time comes?

To your question of DVD burning programs - two are heads and shoulders above the rest: Nero and Alcohol 100%. I find Nero to be easier to use but they are both very good.

I hope that's helpful.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    For backups or archives on write once media (CD-R, DVD+R or DVD-R) I highly recommend writing the entire disc in one session. Multi-session discs can have compatibility problems which make them unreadable. Just save up enough data to fill a disc before you backup.

Sounds sensible to me.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Lots of confusion on this thread.

Let's keep the discussion to DVD+R (not RW) - everything I'm going to say is for DVD+R or DVD-R and NOT DVD+RW.

What you're talking about is creating a "multi-session" disc. This allows you to write information to the DVD but to not finalize the index table. This means that the muti-session DVD can be written to again. BUT - you aren't deleting from the disc, you're only adding to it. So you can record 1GB worth of info in a burn and then a few weeks later ADD another 3GB of info before closing the session and making the disc permanent. While working in the session (before you've closed/finalized the disc) you will only be able to read the info on the DVD in a select number of computer DVD Burners (including the one you burned it on). You can't start a multi-session disc, put 1GB of info on it, and take it to grandma's house with any confidance that it will work on her PC. You've got to end the session before you can be sure it will work else.

My question is this: with DVD+Rs so inexpensive these days - why bother? Why not just always finalize the disc, always be sure it will work in any computer and burn a new one (throwing away the old) when the time comes?

To your question of DVD burning programs - two are heads and shoulders above the rest: Nero and Alcohol 100%. I find Nero to be easier to use but they are both very good.

I hope that's helpful.

You got it....mulit session :D My fault in describing what I was doing because I didn't know the right termanology :D

But....I can delete to. I've done it. Just clicked on the folder in the disc and picked delete and it deletes the folder. At least that is what I did while messing around with it to see what I could do with it.

The program I must be using is a Windows program with Vista. Since I'm not opening up any named program. Just popping in the disc and following thru on what ever comes up. Geez...I should really learn my computer :D But its new to me and the OS is all new to for me.

I have heard of Nero many times reading posts in dgrin. What is the difference in the quality of the burn in the programs? Are some just better in quality or does quality not play a factor, but ease of programs? Like the one I was playing with on my computer....is this just as good in the "burn" as any other program.

Thank you everyone who has posted to this question I have. I know I wasn't so clear, but I'm sooo new in this step by step process of saving photos that I've taken.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    But....I can delete to. I've done it. Just clicked on the folder in the disc and picked delete and it deletes the folder. At least that is what I did while messing around with it to see what I could do with it.

Deleting a file removes it from the index but it does not free up any space. If you burn a 1GB file and then delete it you will end up with 1GB worth of dead sectors on the disc.
    Dogdots wrote:
    I have heard of Nero many times reading posts in dgrin. What is the difference in the quality of the burn in the programs? Are some just better in quality or does quality not play a factor, but ease of programs? Like the one I was playing with on my computer....is this just as good in the "burn" as any other program.

For the most part, when creating a simple data disc the quality of the burn is determined by the drive and the media you use. Everyone in the industry uses the same suite of disc verification tools to test their software so the standard is very uniform. However, freeware and shareware programs may not be as well tested because the verification tools are too expensive to for a low budget shop.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Deleting a file removes it from the index but it does not free up any space. If you burn a 1GB file and then delete it you will end up with 1GB worth of dead sectors on the disc.

For the most part, when creating a simple data disc the quality of the burn is determined by the drive and the media you use. Everyone in the industry uses the same suite of disc verification tools to test their software so the standard is very uniform. However, freeware and shareware programs may not be as well tested because the verification tools are too expensive to for a low budget shop.

Interesting on the dead space. Makes sense. I was wondering about it being so easy. Your just remove the visual of the Icon so to speak, but the space is still taken up. I knew there was a reason for asking this :D

Data burn.....Thanks for the information on this. I'm finding I just have to ask as there are so many extra info pieces to put the whole picture together and I don't know all the info pieces :D But I'm learning.

I never mess with freeware or shareware....

Thanks a bunch thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Pupator wrote:

Exactly. I just queue up 4GB of photos I want to burn, and when I hit 4GB, I pop a DVD+R in, burn them, and file the DVD in the safe. I don't do multisession, simply because I have found them flaky, and well, I don't have that much time :)
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Exactly. I just queue up 4GB of photos I want to burn, and when I hit 4GB, I pop a DVD+R in, burn them, and file the DVD in the safe. I don't do multisession, simply because I have found them flaky, and well, I don't have that much time :)

What do you mean buy flaky.....copies don't turn out as well as burning a full DVD?
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    What do you mean buy flaky.....copies don't turn out as well as burning a full DVD?
    There's allot of things going on with a DVD when you burn it.

I'm going to reexplain how some of these functions work. If you already know. Then your just confirming your thoughts are correct.

When you create a closed session DVD. That is it. You can't add anything else on there.

When you create an multi-session DVD (also called open-session). It leaves the ability to add more data to the DVD.

The only problem with the second is that just like different races on this planet, different computers and DVD burners don't all talk the same language. So if you put a open session created DVD in my machine, take that disk out and put it in a different machine to add more data. They may not be able to communicate as well as they should. This is what causes the flakieness cmason's talking about.

Although you have the option to create open session DVD's. Unless you really know what your doing. Don't do it. Just create a closed DVD session and never open that pandora's box unless you ahve a real reason to.

When you make a closed session DVD. You DON'T have to fill the DVD up. I can put (1) 5 megabyte image on a 4.7Gigabyte DVD and close the session. And you can't put anything else on it.
    The only difference between an open and closed DVD session is just whether it allows you to write more data to it or not.

Oh and one other point. DVD manufacturers say you can write over a DVD. And you can.. But it's not a good idea at all. Jsut make a new DVD and toss the old one. There are allot of reasons why this is a good idea. But they are all geek talk that's almost over my head and not really worth talking about. Point is, don't do it...

Make sense?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:

Yes. For example, an open session just no longer works: a DVD-RW no longer is readable in the drive, or I can't access a session to close it. Lots of issues. but when I create a basic closed DVD, it works everywhere, without issue.

Frankly, I can pick up an 80GB HD at Best Buy for about $50-$80on sale, so I use alot of HDs too. fill one up, toss it in the safe, buy another, heck it is easier that 4GB on DVD (which I do as well). \
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Or you can say bollucks to DVD's and just get a D.R.O.B.O.....
    Drool..

http://www.drobo.com/
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    I got it clap.gif

Just copy the photos to a DVD and close it.

I really don't want any problems that can arise if I don't. I don't plan on using any other computer for my discs.

As far as externals go....I just need to go and get one :D

Thanks everyone :D