Options

DVD Burning Software

2»

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Or you can say bollucks to DVD's and just get a D.R.O.B.O.....
    Drool..

http://www.drobo.com/

Ouch....just looking at the price hurts :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I got it clap.gif

Just copy the photos to a DVD and close it.

I really don't want any problems that can arise if I don't. I don't plan on using any other computer for my discs.

As far as externals go....I just need to go and get one :D

Thanks everyone :D

but you just got a new computer and if you had multi or open session disks from your "old" computer they may NOT work on your NEW computer....this is why most people that are archiving important info do not do multi session......

As I stated earlier...make a file on your hard drive to be burned when it reaches 3.9 gb and then burn it one session and finalize and remember to finalize it to be read on ANY computer......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    but you just got a new computer and if you had multi or open session disks from your "old" computer they may NOT work on your NEW computer....this is why most people that are archiving important info do not do multi session......

As I stated earlier...make a file on your hard drive to be burned when it reaches 3.9 gb and then burn it one session and finalize and remember to finalize it to be read on ANY computer......

I have to laugh...Today I tried adding to a CD-RW that I had added to on my old computer. It didn't like it. A lesson learned.

I just opened my CD-RW onto my computer and copied them onto a DVD----and closed it :D Hope that is ok?

I will not multi-session.....do it right the first time...that way you know you've done it rightclap.gif I will remember to finalize it to read on any computer.

You all have taught me alot in the last couple days.

But multi sessions is so nice....so easy.....just grab a disk and add to it....I'm going to miss it :cry

Thanks...
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Or you can say bollucks to DVD's and just get a D.R.O.B.O.....
    Drool..

http://www.drobo.com/

$500 and no storage included? eek7.gif Yikes!

OK I am sure this thing is cool and very easy to use...but dang. heck i can get a Windows Home Server for that, and it includes automatic backup and storage. Or since I am such a cheap bastard, I can get a simple enclosure, heck a NETWORKED enclosure (+$200 for Drobo), for $80, and a stack of HD, for the rest of the $500. No it isnt RAID, or the Drobo version of RAID, nor is it as automatic, but it is backup.

Have you got this thing SloYerRoll? How does it work for you?
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    cmason wrote:

OK I am sure this thing is cool and very easy to use...but dang. heck i can get a Windows Home Server for that, and it includes automatic backup and storage. Or since I am such a cheap bastard, I can get a simple enclosure, heck a NETWORKED enclosure (+$200 for Drobo), for $80, and a stack of HD, for the rest of the $500. No it isnt RAID, or the Drobo version of RAID, nor is it as automatic, but it is backup.

Have you got this thing SloYerRoll? How does it work for you?
    You may be a cheap bastard. But your a very tech savvy bastard..
    I doubt if you could take your server to another location by just unplugging and easily picking it up (relatively speaking)

I don't have one.. yet.. But I have a design partner that does. It is so nice!

Say you have data across three drives in the drobo and two of them fail while your saving a HUGE photoshop file. Photoshop or your PC wil lnever know. It will keep on receiving the data w/ no stops or failures. As soon as you put in anther drive. It automatically parses the data to the other drive.

It also lets you increase storage in the fly for the future, so as are cameras get bigger and meaner, they will be able to handle our hoggish memory lifestyles by only buying drives. (in the long run this is huge)

Watch the video here (make sure your turn your system volume down before you click). It's a little bit long but you'll see why it's a great option for photographers, video makers, anything digital where assets are vital essentially.

Just watch that video and you'll see it's coolness..
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Watched the video and it is amazing :D
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    cmason wrote:

I looked at the Drobo and decided to get a two drive Synology NAS instead. The big advantage of the Drobo is how easy it is to upgrade. Instead, I put 1.5TB into the Synology. Right now I am running the Synology RAID 1; when I run out of storage (about 3 years from now) I'll mirror it to a USB drive and switch it to RAID 0. At my current rate it'll be at least 8 years before I need more storage and by then technology will have changed enough that anything I buy today will be obsolete anyhow.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Even if it's outdated in 8 years. You have to admit it looks sick and would be a great accesory to any techies desk :D
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Even if it's outdated in 8 years. You have to admit it looks sick and would be a great accesory to any techies desk :D

It does look cool, but the cost of the box is more than my pair of 750GB drives. I can't see paying that much for the option to upgrade when I can just buy big drives now.

On a side note, I don't use DVDs for backup because they don't last long enough. On optical media, I'd want to duplicate my archive once every 2 years to make sure I didn't lose anything to failed mediam (I'd always keep 2 copies and throw away and discs over 4 years old). I try to make my backup strategy easy and painless so it always gets done. Replicating a binder with several hundred DVDs not something I want to build into my workflow.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    It does look cool, but the cost of the box is more than my pair of 750GB drives. I can't see paying that much for the option to upgrade when I can just buy big drives now.

On a side note, I don't use DVDs for backup because they don't last long enough. On optical media, I'd want to duplicate my archive once every 2 years to make sure I didn't lose anything to failed mediam (I'd always keep 2 copies and throw away and discs over 4 years old). I try to make my backup strategy easy and painless so it always gets done. Replicating a binder with several hundred DVDs not something I want to build into my workflow.
    But your also paying for functionality. Not just dumb HD's.
    Can you hot swap your HD if one crashes in the middle of a file transfer?

I'm not really arguing the point. There are pro's and cons to every setup. The Drobo is primarily a rich boy/girl toy. In any commercial environment , you'd have real servers, tape backups etc.

And I agree. DVD's suuuuuuuuck!
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    But your also paying for functionality. Not just dumb HD's.
    Can you hot swap your HD if one crashes in the middle of a file transfer?

I'm not really arguing the point. There are pro's and cons to every setup. The Drobo is primarily a rich boy/girl toy. In any commercial environment , you'd have real servers, tape backups etc.

The functionality you are paying for with the Drobo is 100% uptime which isn't really something I need. If I had 6 Photoshop artists on staff, I'd buy one and hook it to my server because downtime in that context is expensive. For my personal needs if it takes me an hour or two to get back on my feet after a drive failure, that's not the end of the world.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The functionality you are paying for with the Drobo is 100% uptime which isn't really something I need. If I had 6 Photoshop artists on staff, I'd buy one and hook it to my server because downtime in that context is expensive. For my personal needs if it takes me an hour or two to get back on my feet after a drive failure, that's not the end of the world.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    :D

Tooooo much to read right now.

I just started using Nero Premium 7

Seems to work really well.
    PM me for more info thumb.gif