Options

SF4 Unofficial Feedback

Comments

• Options
    ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Feedback from my humble point of view
    I hope this feedback might help you as much as it is helping me to learn. So here are the reasons I like it, or less, or what I would change if anything.

#2 Autunm Harvest - wow! effect, beautiful light and colors. It defies the law of physic as the nut shall bend under the frog's weight, lot of fun anyhow :D

#3 Unplugged - wow! effect, nice B&W tone and very creative idea. I would have cropped the right hand side and put the plug closer to the hand.

#4 Susan Marie - Personally not attracted to the image. This is the kind of shot, a little risky, you like it or not. However, beatifully done, nice tones.

#5 Double Dog Bare - wings.gifclapclap.gifclapThis is the best image I have seen in a long time. PERFECT.

#6 Waiting - Nice blue tone. I find it a little 2D, shadows are still telling a story.

#7 Planet Princeton - Cool effect for sure, the base image has nice tone and colors I am sure.

#8 Hanging the moon - The best use of composite images. Show me the way to OZ; nice light and effect, like it a lot.

#9 One more day is ending - Really nice street scene, tell a story. Sky is a little strong and distract from the main subject.

#10 Needful things - the image matches the title, not sure about the composition as I would have simplify, lots of information. I still like to look at it as I caught myself window shopping rolleyes1.gif

#11 Comtemplating the city - Nice model, lots of negative space on the right, the city tower, despite blurred, competes with the subject imo.

#12 2nd look - Nice black and white, I would expect to see a much tighter crop since the look is the focus point.

#13 The steps of history - Beautiful colors, nice depth. I like looking at it, calming image.

#14 Drip - Cannot see it headscratch.gif.

#15 color light and ammonite - beautiful textures and colors, nice composition as you go in a spiral, very mathematic and technical shot. However, I felt short of a story.

#16 for gold - nice action shot, great capture of the ski jumper as it is very sharp. Background a little distraseparator.gifcting. I prefered the first one you posted because the POV was so cool.

#17 Cristal sunrise - Awesome light and details, overall a beautifull image.

#18 Sunrise over misty valley - A good image, I am not sure about HDR. There are lots of sunrise, sunset out there. I would have like the mist more predominant as being the main subject. Foreground has lots of negative darker space.

#19 The kiss - Well, this is the best I could do. Some said a little soft, just did not want the skin texture to disturn my kiss.

#20 pint-size philosopher - Beautifull B&W, priceless expression. Simple and nicely done.

#21 oriental beau-tea - Funny title :D. Superb light and color, I would like made the background less busy.

#22 Moondance - A signature shot, nice light and great at freezing the action.

#23 Power on the patuxent - Nice toning, lots of negative space in the foreground.

#24 twilight afterglow - Love it and no so much at the same time, huuum. Everything is beautfully done. I guess that the foreground does not match the cityscape or compete between each other. Never been so ambivalent about a shot eek7.gif.

#25 The colector - Wow! effect, nice light, great emotion and details. I feel fear and threat when I look at it. thumb.gif

#26 snow and creek - busy image, the creek seems lost in branches.

#27 floating market - nice idea, like the composition but the sky is bright and distracting.

#28 Collective - not sure, the stem is distracting, focus on one flower would have work better. Still great colors and contrast.

#29 Abandoned - Good idea but I am missing the story.

#30 Alien invader - Beautiful details, cool macro shot. Ugly. Beauty.

#31 Hindu Astrologer - Nice tones, great subject. I would like to see a close-up of his face as it seems so intriguing.

#32 on the shore - beautiful composition, nice color tones and details in the sky, I have a weakness for these kind of shot. thumb.gif

#33 Sky fire - Nice colors, missing depth and a little too soft imo.

#34 Pacifica - One of these days I will master these kind of shots. Nice light and post processing. thumb.gif

#35 room to play - nice expression but a little dark on the left, the room take over the kid despite is lovely smile.

#36 serrated wave - Good idea, however not sure about the story, the drop is a little soft.

#37 Optimum time - Nice action blur, give a feel of movement. Very actistic composition indeed. Like it.

#38 revenge ... not sure where to start ... youngmonk from your "portraiture" gallery, helped by some good pp would be a really good expressive shot.

Overall, what a bunch of amazing shots...congrats everyone.

JY
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Nikolai, pyroPrints, eoren1, ifocus,

Thank you for your feedback! It's really interesting to me to hear your reactions to the image.

I was hoping to achieve a pleasing, slightly surreal effect without going so far as to cause one have to consciously suspend their disbelief. I titled it "Twilight Afterglow" for the contest...but in retrospect, I think I should have titled it "Slightly Surreal Seattle" to help the viewer along with what I meant to portray.

The one true alteration of pixels that I made to the image was to stretch the skyline vertically to give it a little more impact and to balance it with the pilings in the foreground. Otherwise, all of the elements of the photo were there in the original and the tone/color changes were done in Lightroom/Photoshop.

I enjoyed this round very much - best of luck to all the entrants - there's some really fun and interesting images in the bunch.

Before: original jpg with similar crop...
    246776523-M-1.jpg

After: image entered for lps...
    250209473-M.jpg

edit: I just realized that this might have been better to post in the Behind the Scenes thread...If a mod wants to move it - feel free.
  • Options
    drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thank You!
    Thank you Nik, Pemmet, Douglas, PyroPrints, Eoren, and ifocus for your comments or including Crystal Sunrise in your top picks. Your feedback was helpful and encouraging, and your "votes" are very much appreciated! It is no small matter to gift your time in that way.bowdown.gif

The entries this round were truly amazing - great work everyone! clap.gif

Bllessings,
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Nikolai, pyroPrints, eoren1, ifocus,

Thank you for your feedback! It's really interesting to me to hear your reactions to the image.

I was hoping to achieve a pleasing, slightly surreal effect without going so far as to cause one have to consciously suspend their disbelief. I titled it "Twilight Afterglow" for the contest...but in retrospect, I think I should have titled it "Slightly Surreal Seattle" to help the viewer along with what I meant to portray.

The one true alteration of pixels that I made to the image was to stretch the skyline vertically to give it a little more impact and to balance it with the pilings in the foreground. Otherwise, all of the elements of the photo were there in the original and the tone/color changes were done in Lightroom/Photoshop.

I enjoyed this round very much - best of luck to all the entrants - there's some really fun and interesting images in the bunch.

Before: original jpg with similar crop...

After: image entered for lps...
    Well, if nothing else, you got me fooled:-) rolleyes1.gif
    I see now where you were going with this, and I agree - it is surreal. So surreal that it was easier for me to switch to "it's all photoshopped" mode than imagine that this could be what you saw with your own eyes.. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thanks for your comments Nik, pyro, eoren and ifocus!
    Nikolai wrote:
    #22 - LiquidAir - Moondance
    Amazing image. Ken is a master of studio lighting, and this is one great examples of his work. Making splahing water to assume the shape of the evening dress - magic, pure magic!
    The dress was almost pure seredipity. After I started shooting it quickly became clear that the image I held in my mind of what the splash would look like was completely off base. I realize now that most splash photos you see are actually created with hose. Launching the water (no, I didn't throw 2 gallons of vodka on my garage floor) with a glass is much less predictable.
    pyroPrints wrote:
    #22 - LiquidAir - Moondance
    As I've already told you, this image fits your screen name well. After seeing the your how to, I appreciate your dedication to this image even more. Good stuff. Top notch.
    LiquidAir was a screen name I chose on a whim in another context several years before I got active in digital photography (as recently as 2 years ago I was still shooting film). I have been surprised at how much meaning it has taken on for my approch to photography.
    eoren1 wrote:
    22. LiquidAir-Moondance. Great concept. Amazing behind-the-scenes. Excellent colors and composition. Made my top-10.
    I found building balanced composition around the water and moon to be trickier than I expected. I am glad you liked it.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, if nothing else, you got me fooled:-) rolleyes1.gif
    I see now where you were going with this, and I agree - it is surreal. So surreal that it was easier for me to switch to "it's all photoshopped" mode than imagine that this could be what you saw with your own eyes.. ne_nau.gif

I guess that's one of the perils of living in this Digital Age. For instance, I was totally blown away when I learned that Cmurph's "Time Pilot" was done with nearly no pixel changes in Photoshop (what an incredible photo).

Thanks again Nik, I always enjoy your perspective.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    I guess that's one of the perils of living in this Digital Age. For instance, I was totally blown away when I learned that Cmurph's "Time Pilot" was done with nearly no pixel changes in Photoshop (what an incredible photo).

Thanks again Nik, I always enjoy your perspective.

FWIW, I did get the surreal bit. However I have seen another photo of this precise location so I knew it was a real place. I noticed that the balance of your shot was different from the particular photo I am thinking of, but until you pointed it out I didn't pick up on the fact that you had stretched the buildings. I like the way you have portrayed the city lights in this shot with the very warm WB. That's a nice effect.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    FWIW, I did get the surreal bit. However I have seen another photo of this precise location so I knew it was a real place. I noticed that the balance of your shot was different from the particular photo I am thinking of, but until you pointed it out I didn't pick up on the fact that you had stretched the buildings. I like the way you have portrayed the city lights in this shot with the very warm WB. That's a nice effect.

The location of the photo is apparently a Very popular spot for photographers. There were about a dozen other folks there on the Tuesday night that I was there. If you search flickr you'll find a bunch of photos from that location on or about that date. But, as far as I know, I'm the only one who has stretched the buildings rolleyes1.gif . I got the idea when I used one of the early iterations of the photo for my monitor's wallpaper at work. I had the wallpaper set to stretch and it elongated the image vertically...and I kind of liked it - so I stretched just the buildings for my entry.
  • Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    ifocus wrote:
    #30 Alien invader - Beautiful details, cool macro shot. Ugly. Beauty.

My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thank you all (Nikolai, douglas, pyroPrints.com, eoren1 and ifocus), for your great comments - feedback has certainly become a great part of this contest.

I am very thankful for the time everyone has devoted.
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks ifocus...you are way too kind with your comments. Thank you. Makes me want to go take another photo. Better get some sleep first though. BTW...How many of you are doing what I am doing...? Refresh...nothing. Refresh...nothing. Drop by another thread or website. Back again, click...nothing. Oh wow! Look! Three hours has gone by. :D
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Thanks ifocus...you are way too kind with your comments. Thank you. Makes me want to go take another photo. Better get some sleep first though. BTW...How many of you are doing what I am doing...? Refresh...nothing. Refresh...nothing. Drop by another thread or website. Back again, click...nothing. Oh wow! Look! Three hours has gone by. :D

rolleyes1.gif That's exactly what I am doing. Browsing, sorting recent shots, miscellaneous maintenance and refresh, refresh, refresh.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif That's exactly what I am doing. Browsing, sorting recent shots, miscellaneous maintenance and refresh, refresh, refresh.
    Ditto :-) lol3.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    so.... that's why when I hit refresh it takes soooo long to load. eek7.gif

All together now... 1 2 3

REFRESH!
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Yep, I'm right there along with ya. Well, okay, I went to bed for a couple of hours, but am now back up and at it again! rolleyes1.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Ok...I guess while I am exercising my right index finger on the mouse (good to keep it limber for the camera), I might as well provide feedback...should really go to bed but hey...I'm not ready yet.

Here we go...

2- You are very talented with your lighting. It is a very dynamic photo. When my kids first saw it, they said, "Cool!" From a technical aspect, I think you hit it. Lighting is great, nice simple composition, great focus and detail. The only lacking is the why. I guess there is a little mystery in the why, but it doesn't click for me. Did he just hang on when you placed him there? Is he trained? Fun photo.

3- I like it. This is the result of one of those sleepless nights where the image just comes into your mind and you try to figure out how to shoot it. Your "behind the scenes" was fun to read as well. Well done...tells a fun story.

4- I think this is a brillinat photo. Simplistic composition with a strong creative flair and a lot of mystery. Very well done.

5- Uhmmmmm - my mom likes this one. mwink.gif

6- Pemmett, I think this SF has pushed you to the next level. Your final two entries I believe were well done and are a notch higher than where you have been. Congrats on a great photo. Do I remember correctly that you once had a tighter cropped version of this posted? If so, I liked it better. As I remember, it was just the group of kids in the middle. Anyway, well done.

7- I wish I had a planet! This is a fun photo which really captures your attention. It keeps your eyes moving around the surface. It would be fun to see a variation with the tree shadow cloned out and a star-lit sky behind. Great photo.

8- I loved reading your behind the scene. Isn't it fun to have a vision that requires a part of you (sewing)? I think you executed this photo very well. I like it. Great tones, simple composition, unique, with a story. As was mentioned in another feedback, just a little adjustment with the left hand is the only recommendation I could provide. Truly a rewarding photo.

9- This photo makes you smell the dust and feel the environment. It does a nice job pulling you in. It still doesn't have the emotion of your portraits though. Those are hard to beat.

10- I was skimming your behind the scenes. Did you ever make it to the bridge? I would have liked to have seen that. Fun story behind your photo, but it was hard for me as a viewer to see that from just looking. It took you written story to lead me in. It would have been fun if you were able to get an expressive reflection from her face as she was looking in.

11- This is a very thoughtful portrait with a fun location theme. Great black an white conversion, good composition, good focus and seperation from the backgrtound. Very somber for me...a very well done photo but needs something else for the competition...maybe a journal, or some contributing prop.

12- Your story behind your photo says it all. I entered a photo for the same reason in a previous round; as a token celebration entry for my purposes. This is a fun photo. Captures some great personality. I like the lighting and your conversion. A keeper for sure.

13- Love the composition and the color. I could see this as a cover to a coffee table book. I think you did a great job on capturing a great place. Makes me want to go see it.

14- Your control and understanding of light is fun to look at. Great simple composition with a sharp subject. Reminds me of make-up ads. I think it is good...very good.

15- Your study of lighting on this rounds was fun to watch and learn from. I personally liked your more colored version better. The spiral is visually grabbing. Great for a wall mount.

16- I'm glad you switched to this image. Your head on version was fun, but the background angle just never matched. I enjoyed your behind the scenes and the creative approach you went after on this. Well done. I agree with the other's comments about wanting to see the whole helmet and ski. Without it, it makes me ask..."Is that how it was done? Are there wires attached to the helmet and ski?" Well done.

17- You have a great eye. I love to see your nature shots. I love the expressive ice shapes and the color. Well done. Great capture.

18- Oh I love a foggy morning. But it always seems when there is a good one, I leave my camera home...try and figure. The tree on the right is great. I would like to see this one in a pano crop though. I feel the sky above the clouds doesn't contribute to the composition. This is soooo close to a top class wall hanging. Tighter crop, increased saturation, wave the wand and print and hang. Well done.

19- I got the story. Pulled me in right away. I really like your skin treatment on the girl. The wiskers on the high check area are a little distracting to me. I think it pulls slightly away from the subject. I like the smirk of the man. Did you try it with a big smile too? If so, how did it look? It may also have been fun to see his eyes...looking out the corner toward the girl. I like the mystery of the girl though. Good photo.

20- Brilliant portrait. Your story behind it was great as well. Very expressive photo. I love it. Wish I had one of my kids like that. Guess we'll break out the bed and start jumping. Well done. A real winner.

21- My son really likes this photo. Your tones are so harmonious. Well done...and nice touch on the steam.

22- Bonus points for production. Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes. Now when I see your photos, I try to figure them out before the reveal. I missed on my guess. I would have never guessed a trebuche. Brilliaint! I really like it. Great composition and capture.

23- Environmental executive report cover. This is cover worthy. Even has great type space. The tone on your conversion is harmonious with the theme. Good composition, great reflections. Strong photo.

24- Great idea to stretch the buildings to make it more dramatic. I like the post production and the golden tone of the buildings. I feel a strong conflict though with the protruding logs. I feel I want "majesty" from the photo because of the grandness of the buildings and the golden hue and the logs take that away from me. I would like to have seen it without the logs and replaced with a reflective image of the city.

25- Brilliant self portrait. When I first looked at it, I immediately went to your avatar for comparison. Very similar expression...I think it is a fit. Love your harsh lighting which is matched by your theatric basement wall. Love it.

26- Definitely a post card. Fantastic composition. I am getting a little tired of snow though. I have a 5 foot drift in my front yard that I have yet to shovel through. I keep reminding myself that we need the moisture...so I am grateful. Great image. The harsh contrast adds to the coldness of the ice and snow.

27- This is a fun fisheye photo. Good color and visual lines. But what is missing? There is something small missing that would just make it jump to the next level. Someone standing in the foreground maybe? I don't know. It does make me want to come and visit though. Fun photo.

28- Amazing floral photo. I love the detail in the stem and your under the flower angle. Colors are rich, great composition. Love it.

29- I liked your bike entry. This is beautiful but the tension of your bike entry pulled me in more. This does tell a story, and I do like your high angle vantage point. Your selective color use is unique, but not as strong as an all color or black and white to me.

30- It is so fun to see your macro work. I gotta do that sometime. Your story behind it was entertaining as well. Definietly not a free shot. Comes at a price. Great shot.

31- The stare is piercing. It would be fun to undertand more the of the context adn the tradition behind the story. Your skills and portfolio tell me this was a busy week for you. I love your work. You have some fantastic captures that are very expressive and masterful. I look forward to seeing more of them.

32- This is a beautiful photo. I love the visual lines of the photo. The tones of the bulding and trees and beautiful against the blue sky. If there were a weakness in this shot, it would have to be the amout of rock on the right of the frame. A little different angle to reduce the amount, while keeping the trees on the right frame and the pleasing angle of the waters edge. Great photo.

33- This is a beautiful sky. I love the draping texture of the clouds. I do wish that the horizon had more meaning or visual definition though.

34- Nice fluid capture. I love the smooth waves. Good color, but would like to see a little more blue in the sky and maybe a small dark vinyette to soften the edge of the photo and draw attention into the frame more.

35- Fun portrait. Like the camera position and angle. Colorsa nd nice. Would like to see a more simple background (without toys and extra stuff). But I can see this was a moment capture...which is what is magical about this photo. It captures his interactive personality.

36- Wow, how many frames did you have to shoot to get this. This is a great example of capturing the moment. Amazing image, but lacks a story. This is more a lesson in execution of the amazing moment. I wonder if a tight crop would be more intriguing (drop on the left third of the photo with the fish cropped off...kind of a 10:4 pano look).

37- I love accidents. It is usually when I learn something. Your story was great. Hate to hear you are having incidents with your camera though. I know this wasn't a planned shot, but if it were, it would have been fun to have seen this from a tri-pod with an infocus background, or moving with the horse and bluring the background. Overall...great shot. Love the angles and the motion.

38- It looks like this contest caught you on a bad two week window. Your previous entries are quite a bit stronger. But I would agree with you that you can't win if you don't enter. It would be fun to know the story behind this expression. It appears she was responding to something you said, which she didn't agree with.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    refresh...refresh...refresh...refresh...refresh...refresh...Ok, guess it is time to go to bed. See you all tomorrow. Oh, and if you don't mind...please keep the refresh button warmed up so it will be responsive tomorrow.
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks also to Pyro & Eoren for the time you've taken.

Shatch,
    Thank you for the very kind comments, I'm glad you like it.

Crop, crop & crop. I'll look into Shay's 4x10, I don't know what it is, but I'll find out. I played with a wide crop but @800px the picture became too crowed - there's a lot going on and I just didn't like it. I was conscious that this would be view on the web where bolder simpler images are more eye catching.

It's a lovely shot when viewed on a larger scale & when I get the perfect crop I'll get it printed. However, it's a handheld bracketed shot so getting them aligned is tougher than I thought it would be. I haven't finished with it yet...

HDR I belive is something in newer version of PS (which I don't have) I'm sure a skilled person could accomplsh the same in my version - but I'm not.
    Maybe I can win a copy somewhere mwink.gif .

shatch wrote:
    18- Oh I love a foggy morning. But it always seems when there is a good one, I leave my camera home...try and figure. The tree on the right is great. I would like to see this one in a pano crop though. I feel the sky above the clouds doesn't contribute to the composition. This is soooo close to a top class wall hanging. Tighter crop, increased saturation, wave the wand and print and hang. Well done.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    10- I was skimming your behind the scenes. Did you ever make it to the bridge? I would have liked to have seen that. Fun story behind your photo, but it was hard for me as a viewer to see that from just looking. It took you written story to lead me in. It would have been fun if you were able to get an expressive reflection from her face as she was looking in.

I new from the beginning it would be hard to pull off, and that most people wouldn't get it unless they were Steven King fans and had read the book or seen the movie... oh well, chances we take... The bridge shots are here... http://www.vxphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4206462

I am planning on doing shots of these bridges again in different seasons... It is kind of an ongoing project I have had in the back of my mind... kind of an overall exploring Pennsylvania countryside thing... There are actually more covered bridges in Pennsylvania than any other State, most are working bridges... You may ask, why cover a bridge? These bridges are made out of wood and covering them protects the structure from rotting...

248503194-M.jpg

Winston :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    #20 - urbanaries - pint -sized philosopher
    I guess it's true what they say that you will know a great image when you see it. I've said many times that I ususally do not like kids pictures, yet several time LPS made me throw my biases away. This one is one of such great images. I can go nit-picking about some technical details I'd do differently, but the end result is just that - I like it, and I like it a lot!

Gosh golly, thanks for your kind words! To have successfully overcome a stated bias with one silly frame, well that just makes the sweet sweeter! Thank you Nik! I see things I will likely change when I get it printed, but I'm glad the overall impact of the image doesn't seem to be compromised.
    #20 - urbanaries - pint -sized philosopher
    Great shot. I think you know the usual comments on shots of kids. "Better make it really good". And I'll be damned if you didn't take that advice to heart. Excellent image.
    I am so humbled by your reception! I truly feared this one would get the axe on principle, so I am shocked to say the least it resonated this well.
    eoren1 wrote:
    20. urbanaries-pint-sized philosopher. #3 overall. Wonderful portrait. Excellent expression and great high-key black/white conversion.
    Considering the amazing competition, I am so proud of how my little guy connected. Top 3...yowzers!

Thanks to those who encouraged me to enter it despite said bias and fear!

And special thanks to Neil L for the inspiration for the title, when you thanked me for sharing this "little philosopher". You guys are the best!bowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    24- Great idea to stretch the buildings ...*snip*... I would like to have seen it without the logs and replaced with a reflective image of the city.

Thanks for taking the time to make such thoughtful comments on our photos.

I just bought a Photoshop User Magazine that describes how to create that kind of reflection...It would be a good PS learning experience for me to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.!
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 5, 2008
    First of all, you guys are amazing! Nik, pyroPrints, eoren, ifocus and shatch, thank you so much for your critiques. They helped me a lot by providing another perspective on my work. I'm in awe at all this selfless dedication and time spent on other dgrinners' entries. Thanks again, and also to all those who liked my photo! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks all for comments !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Nikolai:
    #16 - Izzy Garavito - For Gold
    Interesting concept, but the execution is kinda bland. It leaves no doubt it's PS-ed while kinda pretending it's not. I also don't feel good about top of the helmet and font of the ski being chopped off.

PyroPrints.com:
    #16 - Izzy Garavito - For Gold
    Interesting idea, though it doesn't quite do it for me for some reason.

eoren1:
    16. Izzy Garavito-For Gold. I liked the original but agreed with the others that it looked like the poor skier was headed for a nasty landing. Not sure if cropping the foreground snow would have helped. This shot has a ‘standing in front of green screen’ feel for me. I can’t put the skier and the environment together.

ifocus:
    #16 for gold - nice action shot, great capture of the ski jumper as it is very sharp. Background a little distraseparator.gifcting. I prefered the first one you posted because the POV was so cool.

shatch:
    16- I'm glad you switched to this image. Your head on version was fun, but the background angle just never matched. I enjoyed your behind the scenes and the creative approach you went after on this. Well done. I agree with the other's comments about wanting to see the whole helmet and ski. Without it, it makes me ask..."Is that how it was done? Are there wires attached to the helmet and ski?" Well done.

Thank you all for your feedback and your comments, really--knowing what you all think has been invaluable in learning how to take better photographs. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Special thanks to Shatch for keeping the ball rolling since LPS 20 Unofficial feedback thread :D. You guys really are the only ones that can give me some serious critiques and I appreciate you all for it.

Izzy

ps-sorry I haven't replied myself. I will comment when I can catch some free time
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Some SF4 entries I liked...
    Thanks to the DGrin people for the opportunity of this contest, and to all the entrants and their groupies and critics for the photographic, think and community feast.

I previously commented on #4 seastack : Susan Marie, and #20 urbanaries : pint-sized philospher in the original threads in which they were posted.

#5 shatch : Double Dog Dare

+ fresh topic, exemplary technical qualities, composition using blocks of color introduces a sophisticated formal dimension, which the dominant gray pole strengthens, posing of subjects is relaxed and non-obtrusive, the subjects inject an emotional mix which multiplies the emotional content of the topic, and a satisfying narrative is achieved through the relationship of the subjects' colors, poses and emotions

- my tongue hurts!

#14 tinfish : Drip

+ intimate, detailed, technically very fine

- shallow basin and direction of light implausible. This image has associations for me to the Narcissus story, and I think it might have provided some narrative if the action had connected with reflection, both the literal and philosophical kind

#17 drdane : Crystal Sunrise

+ I love this image. Highly achieved technically. Canvas is brilliantly painterly, elegant tension between realism and abstraction, sophisticated interplay between yellow and blue, and foreground and background. Congratulations!

#21 NanoMa : Oriental beaut... tea

+ I enjoy still life. There is a richness in the quality of the post processing, and a surprise in the color explosion in the teapot

- lacks sharpness, the cropping is too cramped, the backdrop is creased. A more intimate relationship between the foreground elements and the drop, with the inclusion of other paraphernalia of teamaking, would have made a more satisfying composition

#36 douglas : Serrated Wave

+ I love this image. It is surprising and fresh, makes us do a second take on the world for a moment, which is a big achievement for so minimalist a composition. Technically strong. The greatest thing about it is the formalist interplay of elements: light and reflection, contrasting material qualities (liquid//metal), contrasting line qualities (smooth/jagged), contrasting texture qualities (hard/soft), contrasting color. I love the pun

- the elements don't bind into a satisfying narrative. I think the addition of one fish (or part thereof) outside the bowl, on the way to the knife, might have done the trick?

Thanks to you all for the great pleasures!!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    #5 shatch : Double Dog Dare

+ fresh topic, exemplary technical qualities, composition using blocks of color introduces a sophisticated formal dimension, which the dominant gray pole strengthens, posing of subjects is relaxed and non-obtrusive, the subjects inject an emotional mix which multiplies the emotional content of the topic, and a satisfying narrative is achieved through the relationship of the subjects' colors, poses and emotions

- my tongue hurts!

NeilL
    Thank you for the poetic review and analysis of the photos. It is an intelectual feast to read your critiques. I read it twice it was so stimulating to read. I was tempted to read it outloud a third time, but thought those in the next office may question my sanity...maybe they already do.

Thanks again for the valuable analysis.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    NeilL
    Thank you for the poetic review and analysis of the photos. It is an intelectual feast to read your critiques. I read it twice it was so stimulating to read. I was tempted to read it outloud a third time, but thought those in the next office may question my sanity...maybe they already do.

Thanks again for the valuable analysis.

Haha! If I am stimulated, blame it on those images!!

But, shatch, now, WHO is taking poetic licence!?!...

Regards.

Neil

• Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Haha! If I am stimulated, blame it on those images!!

But, shatch, now, WHO is taking poetic licence!?!...

Regards.

Neil

It was my feeble attempt to elevate my written dialog to your masterfully executed capture of thought and stimulis.

My dad is a strong lover of the english lexicon so I have been exposed to his intelectual discussion for years. It is very enjoyable to listen to a master of language speak or read what they write. But I fall way short.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    But I fall way short.

However too short, it is certainly not too far! :):

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bgaras2001- Autum Harvest
    I have great admiration for meticulous, purposeful studio lighting, and this is an amazing example. Fabulous colors and details….wow! What seems to be lacking is a concept to pull it all together.

2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Llewellyn- Unplugged
    Love the daring, conceptual effort here. The compositing is seamless, very nicely done! The fuzz on the screen is a nice touch. Overall one of my favorites, I think a lighter toned wall would have made your subject pop a little more. Very fresh and different, love the creative vision here!

3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Seastack – Susan Marie
    I remember seeing “To work” when you posted it and thinking to myself, oh Lordy, SF4 has begun! Little did I know you’d replace it with such a haunting, original portrait. Photography elevated from a craft to an art form, thank you for showing us your high sense of seeing. My #2.

4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Shatch – Double Dog Dare
    Hilarious, flawless, memorable, original. Each character in the story holds your attention, for an incredibly balanced grouping. Truly fabulous idea and execution.

5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pemmett: waiting
    Aesthetically very pleasing images. I love silhouettes, and you do them so well. Just not your most memorable story. I don’t have a clue what they’re waiting for, and my mind doesn’t really wonder. Beautiful study in shape and color, though.

6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pyroprints.com – Planet Princeton
    The originality award! What a compelling visual. I can’t imagine the tedious work required to generate such a composition. I think, for me, some pedestrians walking around the circle would give it a human element, but it’s a fantastic image as-is.

7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Greensquared – Hanging the Moon
    Nothing short of magical. Fabulous detail in the moon image. The clouds, composite, winded dress and hair, all come together for a wonderfully ethereal image.

8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Awais Yaqub- One more day is ending…
    My favorite images are those that transport. I can smell the dirt, feel the fading warmth of the sun, hear the clankety clank of the bicycle chain. Simple, beautiful, timeless backlight-y goodness. My #1.

9.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]VisualXpressions- Needful things
    This one just doesn’t grab me. Very nice textures in the brick and the denim. Normally I love your saturated coloring, but her skin tone seems to have suffered.

10. Quark- contemplating the city
    I like this image and feel it has lots of potential. Had she had black shoes on, you could have pushed the skin/contrast much higher without fear of blowing the white shoes. I also keep looking at whatever that is under her, er, rear. I love the DOF and pose, and how the skyline balances her out. Beautiful portrait.

11.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Dr. David-second look
    A technically fine portrait, lacking in depth conceptually. Her hair seems very stiff for a “twirl around and look” pose. Clothes don’t seem to be contributing to a sultry image either. Her gaze is mesmerizing, just needs the supporting act.

12.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Eoren1- the steps of history
    Beautiful colors and exposure. The obelisk and the pillars seem to be competing. I can’t decide which is the focal point, and which is the framing. Nice reflection, I think that could have been more of a focus.

13.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tinfish-drip
    Rarely have I ever thought an image had too much texture, but this is one. The lighting and timing are great, but the wetness and lighting on her face and hands is distracting. Impressive studio effort!

14.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Kwalsh – colored light and ammonite
    Love the rhythm and colors, just doesn’t grab me.

15.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Izzy Garavito – For Gold
    I like this image much more than the first entered. But it’s still lacking some believeability, the expression doesn’t convince me he/she is tensed up in midair. Great idea and vision!

16.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]DrDane- Crystal Sunrise
    Gorgeous colors and composition. A real feast for the eyes. Great seeing on this one!!!

17.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Adriank – Sunrise over misty valley
    Nice postcard-y scene, but the sharpness, noise and processing just didn’t come together.

18.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ifocus – my kiss
    Love the concept and the tight crop. The processing killed this one for me. His stubble shouldn’t be blurry, it should be sharp and textured. When you’re up this close, details matter, like lipstick feathering on her lips, and the odd blurriness under her chin. Really awesome concept, just little things that turned me off.

19.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Me

20.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NanaMo-Oriental Beau…tea
    Titles matter, and I love yours! The colors and softness work for me. Great use of natural light! I would lose the vignette, and separate the background from the foreground even more.

21.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]LiquidAir – Moondance
    Wow, this one I ate some humble pie. At first I was like, yes yes, we all know you’re a lighting GENIUS, but water splashing in front of the moon? HUH? Then, after a few days, I realized the water was shaped like a dress. Holy cow. You are the MAN. :Bow bowdown.gif

22.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]KurtPreston-Power on the Patuxent
    Nice scene, could used a shallower DOF. The sepia tone is nicely done, I think a Pano crop would have suited the reflection better.

23.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]PaulThomasMcKee – Twilight Afterglow
    Love the juxtaposition here, foggy water and sparkling sky. The processing really turned this into a stunner. Well done!

24.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sherstone – the Collector.
    Wow, another haunting image from the artiste. I like that you left this in color. The steely gray blue eyes make me want to seek cover. I love the focused lighting; the shadow of your hair on the face makes the image. Brilliant crop and composition.

25.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Renstar – snow and creek
    You handled the exposure well, but the image lacks a focal point. The branches in the center of the frame confuse the flow of the eye. Nice setting, some different compositions and perspectives could have worked better.

26.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ravic – floating market
    A glorious study of motion and color. Fabulous use of the super wide angle lens. I keep coming back to this one, immersed in the stories and the flavors and wondering, how do customers get from one vendor to the next!? A beautifully complex story in one frame. I yearn to see this one printed BIGGGGG so I can revel in all the detail I imagine is there. My #3.

27. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sstedonovan – collective
    Beautiful colors, but it needs to be either more abstract, or more revealing focal point. The small size isn’t helping.

28.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Jet- abandoned
    I like the gritty processing and composition, feels like an old Holga print. The selective color isn’t working for me.

29.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Dalantech – Alien Invader
    I don’t know how you do it!!!! Amazing show of skill. Love the DOF, without it might feel like a textbook image. Which is nothing to sneeze at, I just like this take. Do the spiders get fed? Modeling fees?

30.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Vandana- A Hindu Astrologer
    Hmmm, colors feel off to me, looks oversharpened. Just not feeling this one.

31.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Anna88888 – On the Shore
    Girl, you have some serious skills. What a dramatic image. So much detail and the composition is brilliant. I find my eyes checking out everything from the icy rocky shore to the intense sky. There is so much to see here!! Just gorgeous.

32.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Darkdragon – sky fire
    I like the colors and texture of the sky, I think the building should be either exposed or in total silhouette. I’m not getting a sense of story here, but it’s also not abstract enough to rest on its own aesthetics. Looks like noise is an issue.

33.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Agila- pacifica
    Gorgeous long exposure. Lovely lighting and composition. Colors seem a bit on the magenta side, but its pleasing nonetheless. A stop you in your tracks landscape. Beautiful!

34.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Swartzy – room to play.
    Love the colors, DOF using the floor, and the off camera lighting . The diaper pail behind his head is a major distraction. I think if he was engaged in play this would help the theme. Also he needs some of the frame to play into, as it is he’s “falling off” the edge. Want to see more of those colored blue walls. Like the overall result though, fresh and different!

35.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Douglas – Serrated Wave
    A visually appealing and contemplative image. Love the twist on reality. Background could use an exposure boost.

36.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Hoofclix – optimum time
    I really liked this one, it was in my top ten. I like the painterly effect of the dragged shutter. I read about your challenge with this one, and I think this is a great result of how one set of restrictions can result in some creative, original images we wouldn’t have otherwise produced. Well done!

37. Justiciero-Revenge of the Reform School Debutantes
    I think you are your own best critique on this one! ;)

Whew!!! I didn’t have time to do this when I judged LPS 7, so I am glad to return the favor of so many judges and entrants over the past rounds. Awesome set of images, now it’s on to the finish!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers