SF4 Unofficial Feedback

13»

Comments

• Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

4.Shatch – Double Dog Dare
    Hilarious, flawless, memorable, original. Each character in the story holds your attention, for an incredibly balanced grouping. Truly fabulous idea and execution.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Shatch wrote:
    29- I liked your bike entry. This is beautiful but the tension of your bike entry pulled me in more. This does tell a story, and I do like your high angle vantage point. Your selective color use is unique, but not as strong as an all color or black and white to me.
    Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to it and really appreciate it.. also to all the others who take the time to critique every entry. It was a tough choice, there was also another shot that came close... Congrats to all the finalists! I look forward to your entry with great anticipation
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    #23 - KurtPreston - Power on the Patuxent
    Well, the image is sharp and sepia treatment brings some mood into the picture... Nikolai

Such a nice way to say *yawn* ;) You echoed the wife's reaction to the shot almost exactly.

#23 - KurtPreston - Power on the Patuxent
    I like these kinda shots, but I think it could have been more dynamic. Maybe introduce a different subject in the foreground. PyroPrints

I was wishing very much for an abandoned rowboat or a fisherman or something. When I shot it, I didn;t have a monotone treatment in mind and was going for getting cloud reflections in the dead space. Didn't work out to well so decided to try accentuating the space instead in post.

23. KurtPreston-Power on the Patuxent. A nice landscape but the color treatment detracts from the image. It feels ‘muddy’ to me. Wish there was more in the foreground to hold my gaze. Eoren1

yeah, it looked more 'flat' to me which I tried punching up a bit with higher contrast. My PS skillz aren't quite there yet.

#23 Power on the patuxent - Nice toning, lots of negative space in the foreground. iFocus

Just curious, but was the negative space a bug or a feature in your view?

23- Environmental executive report cover. This is cover worthy. Even has great type space. The tone on your conversion is harmonious with the theme. Good composition, great reflections. Strong photo. shatch

Why thank you!

22.KurtPreston-Power on the Patuxent
    Nice scene, could used a shallower DOF. The sepia tone is nicely done, I think a Pano crop would have suited the reflection better. urbanaries

I seriously flirted with a pano crop of the power plant and the reflection only. On the shallower DOF, did you mean to keep the power plant in sharp focus and have the foreground just outside the focal plane? Interesting thought if so. I did one where I got much lower in perspective to the reeds to reduce the amount of water and put the foreground reeds in sharp focus with the power plant and reflection just ever so slightly out of sharp focus. I had a hard time deciding between that shot and the one I finally went with.

Thanks to all who have taken the time and made the effort to critique our efforts!
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks to you all for the feedback. I was disappointed by my choices although I ended up driving about 900 miles and taking more than 1,000 pictures in the last two weeks (ok, I had some gigs to drive to). Not my best but I enjoyed all the amazing entries.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    I'm not schooled enough to make a good collage of my top 10.

#1 Moondance
    #2 On the Shore
    #3 Hanging the moon - (funny that two pictures have the moon)
    #4 The Collector
    #5 Crystal Sunrise
    #6 Double Dog Dare
    #7 Planet Princeton
    #8 Pint Sized Philosopher
    #9 Collective
    I'm really torn between Pacifica and Floating Market for #10.
    Fortunately this is unofficial.

2. Autumn Harvest -
    I like the lighting and the frog. But am at a loss for words other than that.

3. Unplugged -
    This is what I think of my parents when it comes to technology. Just way over their head. Cool concept.

4. Susan Marie
    This image freaked me out. Nice texture with the droplets.

5. Double Dog Dare
    I've done that before. Glad it wasn't caught on camera! Love the lighting and the coolness of the colors

6. Waiting
    INteresting silhouette, but doesn't really grab me.

7. Planet Princeton
    Love this image. I just want to dig my way through the diameter!

8. Hanging the moon
    Pure fantasy. My jaw dropped when I saw it. One of my top 10

9. One more day is ending
    Look at all that dirt they are taking in their lungs. Reminds me of my trip to Africa and tells a story.

10. Needful things
    I wasn't sure what he was looking at or what the subject was even with a title.

11. Contemplating the City.
    Interesting she's as tall as the space needle.

12. 2nd look
    Nice portrait, but didn't grab me.

13. Steps of History
    I love the colors of the sky and the framing the building creates.

14. drip
    Love the lighting on this one

15. colored light and ammonite
    I really liked the brighter version of this more. It was more in my face. This one does not draw me into the spiral as much.

16. For Gold
    On one hand it's a nice fantasy. On the other hand something doesn't feel right about it.

17. Crystal Sunrise
    Love the colors temp change and the sharp angles and cuts

18. Sunrise over misty valley
    I wish the mist had been exposed a to stand out more but I still like the image.

19. My Kiss
    Maybe in a week it will be on the lips? His lips look purple on my monitor. Hopefully the kiss will warm the blood. :) DOF is weird. Part real part plastic.

20. pint sized philosopher
    This is a beautiful and simple high key image. Nothing distracting. Nice. Moment and emotion captured. At first glance I didn't check names and I thought either Urbanaries or Photogmomma took this.

21. Oriental beau..tea
    I would like to have that in my kitchen. Love the toning, but the flower is a bit busy to me.

22. moondance
    Are you kidding me? Second shot that made my jaw drop. My #1 pick in the poll. Noticed it's not the full moon required for such a crazy shot! lol.

23. Power on the Patuxent
    Love the reflection. Toning makes me think of Chernobyl which is a bit scary. I don't know that I like the placement of sharp grass up front.

24. Twilight Afterglow
    Interesting. On one hand you see the calm almost painted waters and on the other a very bright and busy city. Reminds me of how I feel about New York. One minute you are in the concrete jungle and the next you are in serenity listening to crickets. I like it.

25. The Collector
    Here, take my wallet! Reminds me of a Slayer video.

26. Snow and Creek
    Looks sharp throughout. Nice contrast from black to white. The branches on the lower left stop me from looking down the creek. Maybe if you could have been a little higher and/or a little more to the right.

27. Floating market.
    Love the angle. Looks like the start of a busy day. Shopping there must be quite an experience! It's grabbing my top 10. The trees may have been used to frame it, but I wonder if panning down a tad would have been better.

28. Collective
    I absolutely love the colors, lighting and perspective of this shot. Green is my fav color too.

29. Abandoned
    I like the landscape, but color or b/w. Not a mixture.

30. Alien Invader
    funny I scroll to this as my cat ruffles a piece of plastic scaring me out of my seat.
    creepy. Great detail in the face.

31. A Hindu astrologer
    I like but it could have been cropped a tad tighter at least on the right. Because it's not cropped, I don't feel he's looking into my soul. I feel like I'm looking into his environment.

32. On the Shore
    This was my #2 image and it was a tough choice. The lines, the sky, the rocks, the ice, the reflection, how it's cold on one side with dead trees and then on the other side looks warm with living trees. Would love to have it on my wall in a 16 x 20.

33. Sky Fire
    Love when the sky is like that. Not sure what you could have done to make it better but the foreground doesn't help it.

34. Pacifica
    I like this. Sharp and smooth.

35. Room to play
    Like the colors and expression, but the toys are cropped so feels like maybe it wasn't enough room.

36. Serrated wave
    I like the upside down image in the droplet, just wondering if those are about to be fillet o' fish.

37. Optimum time
    You get a sense of motion and speed. Wonder if you were riding a horse while capturing. :)

38. Revenge of the Reform School Debutantes
    I thought it was Rosario Dawson at first. Interesting direction. She appears to be very pretty and I would have expected you to go a different way with it. I don't like the lighting.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    evoryware

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback. This has become a great benefit to our dgrin community. Sorry to hear you are a member of the old "tongue frozen to pole" club.
  • Options
    ravicravic Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    @All
    Thank you for writing feedback. They will help me to take the better photo!
    Rds,