From Natalie

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited February 6, 2008 in People
My older daughter, who is a freshman student of Washington University in St.Louis, MO, sent me this "home assignment #3" image she took/made.

http://natalie-star.net/media/portraits/selfportrait.jpg

She's a double major student (Visual Arts + CS), and she does indeed have a lot of Hermione's qualities, hence the attire.

She said she took 17 self-portraits with her P&S Canon (all availalbe light only) and then spent some 10+ hours in PS to get this.

Hope you like it - 'cause I sure do! :wink :-)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    OK, well see, she's cheating. Any moron could create a nice photo with that model.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    A lot of it I like.. what I don't like is what is going on with the background. Was it really that noisy to begin with? Maybe making it black would be better.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    j-bo wrote:
    A lot of it I like.. what I don't like is what is going on with the background. Was it really that noisy to begin with? Maybe making it black would be better.
    Knowing her I'd say it's all handpainted in PS to resemble the "grand masters" backdrops. The only things that are most likely original (i.e. photographed) are the face, hair and hands, everything else is paint job.mwink.gif
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Interestingly enough, my daughter Sarah, is a sophmore at SLU (St. Louis University.) I hope your daughter is warm. She did a very nice job with that theme.

Gary

72778215-M-1.jpg
    Sarah
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited February 4, 2008
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Interestingly enough, my daughter Sarah, is a sophmore at SLU (St. Louis University.) I hope your daughter is warm. She did a very nice job with that theme.
    Gary
    Hey Gary, long time no hear:-)
    Yeah, she mentioned the snow and the cold. But unlike me she considers it "cool" and likes it.
    Thank you for your kind words! thumb.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    I swear I've seen that image before. It reminds me of a Vermeer.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 4, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I swear I've seen that image before. It reminds me of a Vermeer.
    She definitely styled it this way, didn't she... :-) mwink.gif
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Knowing her I'd say it's all handpainted in PS to resemble the "grand masters" backdrops. The only things that are most likely original (i.e. photographed) are the face, hair and hands, everything else is paint job.mwink.gif
    Well speaking of grand masters, the first thing I thought of when looking at the eyes was the Mona Lisa. Something's been done to her eyes, I would bet.
    edited February 4, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Well speaking of grand masters, the first thing I thought of when looking at the eyes was the Mona Lisa. Something's been done to her eyes, I would bet.
    Thank you, but that's pretty much how she is...mwink.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you, but that's pretty much how she is...mwink.gif

Way cool, Nik. I know you're extremely proud. So she's actually combined photos and painting? I was trying to figure a way to combine my love of painting with my photography the other day but wasn't quite sure how to go about it.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited February 4, 2008
    Way cool, Nik. I know you're extremely proud. So she's actually combined photos and painting? I was trying to figure a way to combine my love of painting with my photography the other day but wasn't quite sure how to go about it.
    Thanks, Emily! thumb.gif
    She spent a lot (and I mean - A LOT) of time in high school vexelling. She started very young (prolly in elementary school), using just dumb MS Paint and mouse, and was able to create extremely realistic images. Nowadays she uses PS and Wacom:-)
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, Emily! thumb.gif
    She spent a lot (and I mean - A LOT) of time in high school vexelling. She started very young (prolly in elementary school), using just dumb MS Paint and mouse, and was able to create extremely realistic images. Nowadays she uses PS and Wacom:-)

Very cool...and way beyond me!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Nik,

You gotta be proud! You have beautiful daughter; Beauty, brains, talent and discipline. That's an uncommon combination.
    edited February 5, 2008
    Nik,

You gotta be proud! You have beautiful daughter; Beauty, brains, talent and discipline. That's an uncommon combination.
    Scott, thanks!
    I am, rest assured. But you've forgotten to specify one feature that comes with this package: temper (which takes origin from the word tempest, I guess :-) mwink.gif
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I would say well done for a self portrait. The background does not bother me that much, as her face draws me in completely. The hazelnut colored eyes shine. A beautiful girl. I would say she nailed it right down...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Scott, thanks!
    I am, rest assured. But you've forgotten to specify one feature that comes with this package: temper (which takes origin from the word tempest, I guess :-) mwink.gif
    Didn't forget. Hard to say anything about one's temperament/temper without first having met. I'm guessing from your comment that your daughter has one? :boid
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Wow! That's really impressive! She did a great job! When I first looked at it, I woudl have never though that it's all put together in PS!
    edited February 5, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Wow! That's really impressive! She did a great job! When I first looked at it, I woudl have never though that it's all put together in PS!
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    She now uses it as an avatar in Facebook :-) mwink.gif
    edited February 5, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Hi Nikolai,
    I really like the shot.
    She did a very nice job with the equipment she had available.
    Thank you!
    zoomer wrote:
    I hope you don't mind but I played with it a bit.
    Sorry, but I do, and I know she'd be furious for sure. I would appreciate if you take it off.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    edited February 5, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    No worries. Done!
    Thanks! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Nice work. I like the look on her face. Is it "Oh no you've caught me?" or "You'd better stay away or I'll zap you!" or "I'm supremely confident in my skills". Just a piercing look that can be interpreted so many different ways...
    edited February 6, 2008
    work2fish wrote:
    Nice work. I like the look on her face. Is it "Oh no you've caught me?" or "You'd better stay away or I'll zap you!" or "I'm supremely confident in my skills". Just a piercing look that can be interpreted so many different ways...
    Thank you!
    It's the last two, methink ;-)
  • PatientPatient Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2008
    she spent "17 hours" to come up with this"? well, I suppose the inexperience accounts for the hours... practice makes perfect!
    edited February 6, 2008
    Patient wrote:
    she spent "17 hours" to come up with this"? well, I suppose the inexperience accounts for the hours... practice makes perfect!

I think I said "10+"... "17" was the number of images she took to get the base one.
    And I wouldn't call that "inexperience", considering the fact that everything but the face, hair and hands is hand-painted... deal.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Volunteer
    Nik,

I would like to volunteer now to shoot her wedding when the time comes.
    Shoot and burn would be just fine - you can PP. Beautiful girl and incredible image. Definitely a 10+
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think I said "10+"... "17" was the number of images she took to get the base one.
    And I wouldn't call that "inexperience", considering the fact that everything but the face, hair and hands is hand-painted... deal.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited February 6, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nik,
    I would like to volunteer now to shoot her wedding when the time comes.
    Shoot and burn would be just fine - you can PP. Beautiful girl and incredible image. Definitely a 10+
    Kathy, I'll pass that along, thank you! thumb.gif
    As to the wedding - hopefully not too early, I want her to enjoy some easy single life first :-) lol3.gif
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Wow Nik......I followed your link to her vexeling work. What an amazingly talented daughter you have. Her work is beautiful. You have every right to be a proud dad.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson