Themed dance

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 1, 2008 in People
A few shots of my daughter and friends dressed for a high school dance this weekend. A neighbor lent his car for a backdrop.....a 1948 Desoto.

1-My daughter
255286545_96AyC-L.jpg

2-
255286880_D6Jzr-L.jpg

3-
255291445_iBc9V-L.jpg

4-
255297794_YdtQ2-L.jpg

5-
255304892_3ARin-L.jpg

6-
255297751_6yGTh-L.jpg

7-
255292999_azAsQ-L.jpg

8-
255281114_8hQBC-L.jpg

9-
255288095_dgqzW-L.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    These are fantastic Jeff, i can't even pick one i like the best, they all great. Love the mood on all of them, and that retro look of the whole theme. Very well done clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    These are fantastic Jeff, i can't even pick one i like the best, they all great. Love the mood on all of them, and that retro look of the whole theme. Very well done clap.gif

Thanks Marina,

I was pleased with these snapshots. The kids were excited that I had found someone with an old car to pose with. I met the guy today really....just stopped at his house and asked if we could borrow the car in return for some "car shots" when he gets it repainted. Just goes to show you, you will never know if you don't ask.

The kids had a ball....but....they ended the dance early due to severe weather on the way.
  • wareseekerwareseeker Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks Marina,

I was pleased with these snapshots. The kids were excited that I had found someone with an old car to pose with. I met the guy today really....just stopped at his house and asked if we could borrow the car in return for some "car shots" when he gets it repainted. Just goes to show you, you will never know if you don't ask.

The kids had a ball....but....they ended the dance early due to severe weather on the way.

Nice series!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Jeff,

Great shots thumb.gif

The costumes & car really make for nice props.

Looks like a Lightsphere in their eyes rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Jeff,

I love these! What great costumes and the car was the perfect addition. They're definitely more than snapshots. IMO, the shot and processing on the first one of your daughter is stellar, but I like the variety you presented. What a fun group. Love the expressions in 5 & 6.

Was the Lightsphere in use here, also? With a gel? Pointed right at them with the cap on?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited February 17, 2008
    wareseeker wrote:
    Nice series!

Hey!!! thanks for commenting and welcome to Dgrin!!!:D
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I love all of the photos GREAT job.bowdown.gif
    I bet they had a blast at the party.

Did the other parents what to buy prints of the photos from you?
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited February 17, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Jeff,

Great shots thumb.gif

The costumes & car really make for nice props.

Looks like a Lightsphere in their eyes rolleyes1.gif

Gee how'd you guess....rolleyes1.gif

I think the car made a cool prop too. The original plan was to meet the group for photos at someones home. This is something we have always done, and the shots are usually taken in a living room or backyard. When the guy said we could use the car, I had to think of someplace nearby for him to bring it. Not wanting him to have to drive too far I just asked that he meet us down the street at the electric co. parking lot. I am not too crazy about the building, but I have seen worse!!!
    edited February 17, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Jeff,

I love these! What great costumes and the car was the perfect addition. They're definitely more than snapshots. IMO, the shot and processing on the first one of your daughter is stellar, but I like the variety you presented. What a fun group. Love the expressions in 5 & 6.

Was the Lightsphere in use here, also? With a gel? Pointed right at them with the cap on?

Yes.... Lightsphere with a gel pointed straight ahead. I wasn't thrilled with most of the full length shots....more my shooting angle than anything else.
    I had one shot where the lightsphere reflected in the vent window as I leaned in to get a shot like #6, but otherwise no real problems with the attatchment. Out of all the pics there were maybe two that had hot spots...or shiny spots.....on their faces that should be fixed, and one pair of reddish eyes. Red eyes ought to be a big hazard using it pointed straight, but still having some daylight helped in that respect.
    edited February 17, 2008
    I love all of the photos GREAT job.bowdown.gif
    I bet they had a blast at the party.

Did the other parents what to buy prints of the photos from you?

We have know most of these kids for a long time now. THey all know that I will upload them to a gallery as soon as possible. Out of 7 seniors there last night, I am supposed to be shooting Sr pics of 5 of them. Yes one parent asked if she could buy from me instead of buying at the dance. She wasn't aware that I have never charged for things like this, and always offer them at cost through my site. It is one of the things( they are only really snapshots anyway) I give away.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    These are fantastic! I am just blown away by #5, the DOF, her attitude, the processing. Did you just desaturate or did you combine that with a sepia/monotone? It couldn't be more perfect for the mood. Lovely!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited February 17, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    These are fantastic! I am just blown away by #5, the DOF, her attitude, the processing. Did you just desaturate or did you combine that with a sepia/monotone? It couldn't be more perfect for the mood. Lovely!

Thanks Lynne......

Most were treated to a treatment similar to the first one in lightroom first. I then played around with dupes of some of them. That one was desaturated, and then a sepia filter applied.

She is, and has always been a ham for the camera. If I am at a school event with the camera, I will sooner or later scan the crowd and as soon as I see her she is uaually already posed and waiting for her picture to be taken!!:D ....or sneaking into someone elase photo.

I will be doing her Sr portraits soon.

BTW......I took this one just for you!!!rolleyes1.gif

255303603_MvhLM-M.jpg
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Sweet. My favorite is 5 followed by 3.
    This is the good stuff..when you can get out and take professional quality picture of your kids events....it just doesn't get any better.

Very nice work!!
    edited February 17, 2008
    I've enjoyed viewing these again! :D

Just wondered...when you use the gel with your flash, are you keeping it in place with the attached diffuser plate or something different?

I was confused by something you mentioned about gels somewhere...I think you said "1/2 CTO (blue)". How does CTO = blue? Maybe I misread or maybe it was a typo...CTB? Are you finding that CTB gels work best for outside flash work?
    Elaine

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    those are great - i think #5 is my favorite.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited February 17, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Sweet. My favorite is 5 followed by 3.
    This is the good stuff..when you can get out and take professional quality picture of your kids events....it just doesn't get any better.

Very nice work!!

Thanks zoomer.....

It is indeed a blast to mix my passion with their events and goings on.
    Thanks for commenting.
    edited February 17, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I've enjoyed viewing these again! :D

Just wondered...when you use the gel with your flash, are you keeping it in place with the attached diffuser plate or something different?

I was confused by something you mentioned about gels somewhere...I think you said "1/2 CTO (blue)". How does CTO = blue? Maybe I misread or maybe it was a typo...CTB? Are you finding that CTB gels work best for outside flash work?

Sorry Elaine. Probably wasn't a typo, but just a regular mistake...like those a typical 40 year old makes.
    headscratch.gif
    Let me clear it up!!!

I am NOT using the built in diffuser to hold the gel. This works ok if the wind isn't too strong with a bare flash, but will NOT work with the lightsphere. The built in diffuser cannot be deployed with the lightsphere attatched. I have had to more closely trim the gel and use a couple pieces of tape to stick it in place over the flash lens and then slide the LS on over it. (I will take a few photos, and post them here when I get a chance.)

It is NOT a CTO....lol....It is a 1/2 C.T. Blue. It is a LEE Filters No.202 1/2 CT Blue.....Tungsten to daylight 3200K-4300K. I also keep a 3/4 in my bag, but have been perfectly satisfied with the 1/2 for my work which is mostly in shade, or late afternoon.

I hope this helps. I think I am going to get a business card and cut it to the shape I want for a template for gels. The gels cut easy, but are flimsy and slick, and want to walk around a bit when trying to cut them on the flash head.

I hope this clears things up?

Sorry for.......hmmmm.......being 40?mwink.gif.....oh....and please hold the applause for my product photography.
    rolleyes1.gif

Here is the gel neatly (? Laughing.gif) taped to the flash head.
    255568681_aGw9V-L.jpg

Here you can see that there is a lip inside the sleeve that prevents the attatchment from swallowing the whole flash. It also prevents you from sliding out the on board diffuser to hold gels.
    255568950_qgsWi-L.jpg

Lastly, this is where I cut my gel from a LEE sample book. The info for the one I use is legable...I hope. Between my fingers is my own awesome invention. I taped one long end and one short end of two business cards together to form a semi rigid folder to hold the gels in my bag. It requires no room in the bag, and keeps them from getting bent and lost. I usually pop it in a shirt pocket while shooting.
    255568809_ZWuHy-L.jpg
    edited February 17, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    those are great - i think #5 is my favorite.

Thanks for having a look and commenting Tessa.
  • will-jumwill-jum Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    edited February 17, 2008
    will-jum wrote:
    love 5 (y)

Thanks Will and welcome to Dgrin!!!:D

#5 seems to be very popular with everyone.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Jeff
    I like them all. They are really nice. What fun. They are all so great...Love #5.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I was looking at LightSphere before, don't know much about, i thought it was one of Gary's marketing "toys" that's all "that!"
    So it looks like it works nicely for you, may be i should give it a try. I'm just confused which one to get, clear or cloudy, or white tail, or whatever else he's got there Laughing.gif. Any advise?
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited February 17, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    I like them all. They are really nice. What fun. They are all so great...Love #5.

Thanks for the kind comment!!!
    edited February 17, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I was looking at LightSphere before, don't know much about, i thought it was one of Gary's marketing "toys" that's all "that!"
    So it looks like it works nicely for you, may be i should give it a try. I'm just confused which one to get, clear or cloudy, or white tail, or whatever else he's got there Laughing.gif. Any advise?

My opinion......

is that it is physically larger than many of the diffusers on the market. The best way to diffuse light, is to increase the SIZE of the light source.....like a softbox or umbrella. Without going to a softbox, I thought it might do the trick. I won't tell you to rush out and buy one, I have only used it twice. Most folks...it seems...who have used both prefer the "cloud" version....so I bought cloud....as it seems to be better suited to portraits.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    The photos, the costumes the car. Wow!!! These are awesome.
    edited February 18, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    The photos, the costumes the car. Wow!!! These are awesome.

Hey David Thanks for having a look....AND for the kind comment.
    edited February 19, 2008
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. It was a ton of fun, and the more I look at them the more I like the results. I have recieved some encouraging remarks in emails and comments in the gallery from the other kid's parents so all was a success. These types of shoots are very important to my flegling business even if it is all "on the house".

Two more of my baby girl. She finally decided on a college yesterday, and I am bringing her to choose a roomate on Wednesday. (Thank you God)
    255284465_qB92X-M.jpg

255289268_xhfrq-XL.jpg
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Wow! Incredible series. Thanks for sharing the flash gel info also. It looks like the kids had a blast. I'm amazed at how great the customes are. They really went all out!
    edited February 19, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Wow! Incredible series. Thanks for sharing the flash gel info also. It looks like the kids had a blast. I'm amazed at how great the customes are. They really went all out!

Thanks for the "Wow!". I appreciate it.

They, of course, were wearing the costumes either way, but the original plan for photos would have looked quite different. WE were originally to meet the group at a friend's home and shoot the photos in the yard, or in the house. The more I think about that, the more I think that the car really REALLY sets these apart from what we normally have done for dances and such. I have always gotten good photos no matter where we are, but this was really a treat. It now has me thinking if I should plan something better than the norm for prom. Maybe just a really nice location for everyone to meet for photos.

As for the gel info....

Everything I know about that I learned right here in this forum. It wouldn't be considered playing fair if I learned something and wasn't willing to share. Folks like Scott Quier, SloYeroll, Urbanaries, Elaine and really ( if your name isn't here, I really apologize) most everyone on the board are all willing to exchange knowledge. I looked back yesterday at some of my first posts here and then look at my more recent work and am floored at how far it has improved. This isn't my only source for learning, but has definately been a MAJOR contributor. Having other points of view on your posted photographs....detailed critiques...is invaluable.

So.....right about now I'd like to see a discussion on indoor gels.....:D
    always more to learn!!!
    edited February 19, 2008
    I love the new ones of your daughter, especially the first. It's an expression we don't often see from her (in the pics you've shared here anyway) and the colors and angle just make it a real stand-out. The whole series is just fantastic! clap.gif

I've been thinking of ordering a LS for awhile now, so these have encouraged me to give it a try, as well as some gels. :ivar
    Elaine