Themed dance

2»

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I love the new ones of your daughter, especially the first. It's an expression we don't often see from her (in the pics you've shared here anyway) and the colors and angle just make it a real stand-out. The whole series is just fantastic! clap.gif

I've been thinking of ordering a LS for awhile now, so these have encouraged me to give it a try, as well as some gels. :ivar

Well if you do get one, a little advice.

The Lightsphere C4 fits VERY snug on the EXII...which is great in my opinion, but.....

Be sure to wrestle it onto the flash BEFORE you slide the flash into the shoe. I haven't had any issue....yet... but can see where trying to slide it onto the flash while attatched to the camera could....uuuh...present a problem. Maybe commen sense, but something I thought I should mention.

The Sample pack for the gels is the ticket until you are sure of what you want to keep in your bag.( Lee Cinimatographers swatchbook)
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    :jawdrop amazing work. everything you have posted that i've seen just seems to get better and better.

I never thought about using a gel with the LS! great idea!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Jeff, you knocked these out of the park.

Great work on all of them, but #1 is my favorite!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited February 20, 2008
    gpphotos wrote:
    :jawdrop amazing work. everything you have posted that i've seen just seems to get better and better.

I never thought about using a gel with the LS! great idea!

Thanks!!!

It was a pretty easy jump for me to do the gel. My results have proven to me that in shade it helps. I am not sure if it is needed with flash systems other than Canon. The others may vary in temperature from Canon?
    edited February 20, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Jeff, you knocked these out of the park.

Great work on all of them, but #1 is my favorite!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I appreciate the comment Mitchell. I am partial to#1 as well! (wonder why?)

mwink.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    What a stunning, stunning series of photos!

I have used the Whaletail and the Lightsphere cloud and clear. Personally, I like the clear the most for anything more than 5' away. The cloud just doesn't allow enough light to be pushed. But closer, the cloud is definitely better. The whaletail is good in just the right situation, but if you start playing around, watch it! you'll get massive hotspots - something I've never had serious issues with with the Lightspheres.

Back to the photos...

1 & 5 are my absolute faves!

2 seems a bit flat - but I suspect it's more post processing - boosting the contrast a tad may help. But it's a gorgeous shot!

The two new ones of your daughter are awesome. The first needs a closer crop on the right (but I understand keeping the ratio) and the reds look a tad blown in the second. But seriously, those are very minor nit picks! Awesome!!

Love the shoe shot just for Lynne!!! rolleyes1.gif

Wow! I Hope I do this well with my shoot in a week. Your lighting is awesome!

ETA: Oh, and your daughter is just gorgeous. I sure hope my almost 3 year old (who is a blue-eyed blonde and just adorable now) doesn't look like that! Laughing.gif! :D
    edited February 24, 2008
    What a stunning, stunning series of photos!

Thanks, I appreciate that!!!
    I have used the Whaletail and the Lightsphere cloud and clear. Personally, I like the clear the most for anything more than 5' away. The cloud just doesn't allow enough light to be pushed. But closer, the cloud is definitely better. The whaletail is good in just the right situation, but if you start playing around, watch it! you'll get massive hotspots - something I've never had serious issues with with the Lightspheres.

I am considering a clear one.
    Back to the photos...

1 & 5 are my absolute faves!

2 seems a bit flat - but I suspect it's more post processing - boosting the contrast a tad may help. But it's a gorgeous shot!
    I agree #2 is a tad flat. I sacrificed contrast to save the boa. That white robbed me!!!
    The two new ones of your daughter are awesome. The first needs a closer crop on the right (but I understand keeping the ratio) and the reds look a tad blown in the second. But seriously, those are very minor nit picks! Awesome!!
    In the second, I should have aimed the LS at her face instead of straight ahead. The detail is there in the red in larger versions, but it is plenty hot. I am thinking of a darker version layer with a gradient mask to douse some of that.
    Love the shoe shot just for Lynne!!! rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif it was a joke.
    Wow! I Hope I do this well with my shoot in a week. Your lighting is awesome!

ETA: Oh, and your daughter is just gorgeous. I sure hope my almost 3 year old (who is a blue-eyed blonde and just adorable now) doesn't look like that! Laughing.gif! :D

I bet you will do great...as usual. As to your other comment.....cross your fingers, pray, and in the end roll with the punches!!!

Thank you for the comments.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Excellent set! That era is definitely romantic and interesting on so many levels. What a great "theme" for a dance!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited February 25, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Excellent set! That era is definitely romantic and interesting on so many levels. What a great "theme" for a dance!

Thanks,

I appreciate the comment. The kids had a lot of fun with it.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    i've said it before and i'll say it again....

I. Love. These. Photos.

:tuesday
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited February 25, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    i've said it before and i'll say it again....

I. Love. These. Photos.

:tuesday

I am not sure how to take that. I am afraid if I "bite" on it you might start picking on my....uuuh....low camera angle again.rolleyes1.gif

J/K

Thank you again Lynne. Your comments and point of view are always appreciated.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am not sure how to take that. I am afraid if I "bite" on it you might start picking on my....uuuh....low camera angle again.rolleyes1.gif

Wow, can't a girl say something nice without being suspect? I don't even post in the whipping post! :whipI am going to get a complex now!:D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Wow! Very nice series. Great light...great prop...fantastic models.
    1 and 5 are my favorites. The building in the background distracts just a bit in #3(?).
    E
    edited February 26, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Wow! Very nice series. Great light...great prop...fantastic models.
    1 and 5 are my favorites. The building in the background distracts just a bit in #3(?).
    E

Thanks for commenting. The building in #3 distracts no more than a few of the others taken at similar angles. I think what makes #3 different is that there is a triangle of sky in the top right corner that definately is distracting.

For what it is worth, I would rather have used a nicer building, but since we had pursuaded a stranger to let us use the car I chose this one because of its close proximity to his home. It is....within eyesight of his house.

I appreciate your comments...Thanks for looking!!!
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Jeff,

I found this excellent post while searching for Lightsphere information, as I have Prom photos coming up soon and have been considering getting one.

All I can say is "wow". The photos are wonderful and your comments & information have been very helpful. Thanks for sharing all this with us!!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I missed this the first time and I see I've missed a couple others.
    Lovely work! thumb.gif The last one of your daughter, the sun beam on the ground, the light falling on the car, the angle, thumb.gifiloveyou.gif

Also #5, is just mmmm classic - really stuck out. You should find a way to add that to her senior collage! clap.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited March 31, 2008
    mrcoons wrote:
    Jeff,

I found this excellent post while searching for Lightsphere information, as I have Prom photos coming up soon and have been considering getting one.

All I can say is "wow". The photos are wonderful and your comments & information have been very helpful. Thanks for sharing all this with us!!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks,

Glad you enjoyed...and if you found anything here helpful....well that is what we are here for after all.
    edited March 31, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I missed this the first time and I see I've missed a couple others.
    Lovely work! thumb.gif The last one of your daughter, the sun beam on the ground, the light falling on the car, the angle, thumb.gifiloveyou.gif

Also #5, is just mmmm classic - really stuck out. You should find a way to add that to her senior collage! clap.gif

THanks, I appreciate that. This was a fun....very low pressure situstion. WE have a few proms coming up that will be much the same. Well....low pressure shooting...waiting for their safe return is a nailbiter.:D
    edited March 31, 2008
    Just realized that you two have really dug this out of the archives....and it has over a thousand views. That is just plain crazy!!!eek7.gif
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Just realized that you two have really dug this out of the archives....and it has over a thousand views. That is just plain crazy!!!eek7.gif

When I research I really research!! rolleyes1.gif
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Jeff, these are really fabulous! I love them! My favorite is in the 2nd set you posted of your daughter...the first in that set.
    edited April 1, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Jeff, these are really fabulous! I love them! My favorite is in the 2nd set you posted of your daughter...the first in that set.

Thanks Jan!!