I am so confused with all the contests..

BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
edited February 25, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Maybe it is just me, but I am super confused with all this contest stuff...maybe I have not been on the board long enough to understand how it all works.

I want to be a part of all of this, but the instructions for LPS, is just a very simple post about it, with out a ton of detail...there is not date attached to it , no cut off dates, no major explantion of rules or anything like and 38 pages of people chatting back and fourth about it. Maybe I am just blind and someone could point me in the right direction here...

I think some more closed sticky's with more detailed information would be good.
Brandon Perron Photography
www.brandonperron.com

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Maybe it is just me, but I am super confused with all this contest stuff...maybe I have not been on the board long enough to understand how it all works.

I want to be a part of all of this, but the instructions for LPS, is just a very simple post about it, with out a ton of detail...there is not date attached to it , no cut off dates, no major explantion of rules or anything like and 38 pages of people chatting back and fourth about it. Maybe I am just blind and someone could point me in the right direction here...

I think some more closed sticky's with more detailed information would be good.

headscratch.gif think you are late headscratch.gif

There is always a new thread every two weeks calling for enteries. Now it is ended and selected people have posted their final enteries for grand final round where there will be "Last photographer standing"
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    This is a sticky post at the top of this very forum. All the info you need should be in that thread.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 21, 2008
    If you have just joined, I'm not surprised that you are a little confused. The LPS contest has been going on for about a year and is now in its final round. The current contestants have all won in at least two previous rounds. But stick around...there will be new, exciting contests soon. :D

Cheers,
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    headscratch.gif think you are late headscratch.gif

There is always a new thread every two weeks calling for enteries. Now it is ended and selected people have posted their final enteries for grand final round where there will be "Last photographer standing"

Yeah I knew I was late it was just more of an example...
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited February 21, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is a sticky post at the top of this very forum. All the info you need should be in that thread.
    Thanks I missed that...guess I am blind...lol
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited February 21, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    If you have just joined, I'm not surprised that you are a little confused. The LPS contest has been going on for about a year and is now in its final round. The current contestants have all won in at least two previous rounds. But stick around...there will be new, exciting contests soon. :D

Cheers,

I am looking forward to all of this very much, maybe since I am in from the beging of new things that come up I will understand more clearly. lol...

I think the contest & challenges is cluttered up with a ton of different threads about pictures they entered and other misc. stuff which I think makes it very confusing to go through.

I really like ther board, probably one of the most active out there and very cool with the stuff that is going on with it...I am a part of about 12 other different types of boards and this one is by far the coolest...just a little cluttered in some aspects I guess.

Oh well I am very excited about the upcoming contests clap.gif
    www.brandonperron.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    :D the LPS contest has simple specific rules and is a fun challenge atleast imo.

it will help you become a better photog.

DavidTO directed you to the sticky that will explain everything...

hopefully you can enjoy the contest and keep inmind the spirit of its intent.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    the 38 page thread you refer to has been destroyed by people complaining or they are trying to change something in a way that panders to them, or their down right close-minded.thumb.gif

Most of the recent posts in that thread are made by people who had actually won a lot of the rounds, played in most SFs and quite a few are in GF... Some close-minded, huh headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited February 21, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Most of the recent posts in that thread are made by people who had actually won a lot of the rounds, played in most SFs and quite a few are in GF... Some close-minded, huh headscratch.gif

Ok truths...not the intended purpose of this thread...lets all :ivar
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited February 21, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

im attempting to point out that some people are refusing to play with good spirits...
    in my case ive talked myself blue in the face about how a photographer has many tools that make him/her a photographer...
    others talk themselves blue stating that its not a photographer contest at all....they think its a photoshop contest...etc...etc...
    so in alot of cases there are many with closed-mindsthumb.gif including me....

so if I actually need to win a SF or be in the GF to have a opinion please let me know so i can keep to myself...
    i understand im not in the circle of friends and thats ok....take me or leave me...ne_nau.gif

now just to make one thing clear here is im just trying to express that the LPS is easy to understand and not let all the opinions of that thread detract from what it is for...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Ok truths...not the intended purpose of this thread...lets all :ivar

Welcome to the forum! It took me quite awhile to get used to the format of threads and how to view them efficiently and participate. Don't hestitate to ask questions. There is quite a friendly crowd here eager to help who share the love of photography. I hope you'll find like I did that this forum is an essential resource and that you'll see a higher level of professionalism than some other forums. Look forward to seeing you in the future challenges!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    The "Last Photographer Standing" thread is really a discussions/questions thread. The "Last Photographer Standing - The RULES <<<" is really your best resource for getting started. For clarity's sake it might make sense to tag "- Discusssion" on the end of the first thread and push the RULES to the top of the stickies.

When looking for more information, I would recommend looking at the first post in any of the entry threads. You can find links to all 20 entry threads here.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 21, 2008
    edited February 21, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

I already didclap.gif
    www.brandonperron.com
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    i understand im not in the circle of friends and thats ok....take me or leave me...ne_nau.gif

Hey don't worry about it, my posts are generally met with hostility or indifference so you can join my gang, I'm not in the circle of friends either mwink.gif

Charlie
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Hey don't worry about it, my posts are generally met with hostility or indifference so you can join my gang, I'm not in the circle of friends either mwink.gif

Charlie

Yeah you are. I have tremendous respect for both you and Aaron's work and opinions. Please, keep it all coming!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I already didclap.gif

Welcome to the forum...I also await LPS2 eagerly and to seeing your work. LPS is tremendous fun, hugely addictive and the best learning tool I've ever had...and it's free. Not to mention there's BIG prizes to be had! :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited February 22, 2008
    Welcome to the forum...I also await LPS2 eagerly and to seeing your work. LPS is tremendous fun, hugely addictive and the best learning tool I've ever had...and it's free. Not to mention there's BIG prizes to be had! :D

Thank you very much. Yeah I can not wait for the 2nd one...although looking at the photos that everyone else enetered it looks like it will be just learning experience for me for a couple of years... as the photos that entered were amazing!!!! clap.gif
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited February 22, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Thank you very much. Yeah I can not wait for the 2nd one...although looking at the photos that everyone else enetered it looks like it will be just learning experience for me for a couple of years... as the photos that entered were amazing!!!! clap.gif

also, if you didnt notice...allot of the members share their "behind the scenes"....here is a wealth of knowledge!

greensquared shows the way of a Diehard photographerthumb.gif

ive also learned a ton watching LiquidAir, though l dont think i will ever do that style of photo i sure like to see it...

ive received quite a bit of inspiration watching Nikolai, his shots speak very loud. i looked at your home page and it seems your gaining a style kinda like his in a way. lets see what you come up with!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 22, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

friday.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 22, 2008
    also, if you didnt notice...allot of the members share their "behind the scenes"....here is a wealth of knowledge!

greensquared shows the way of a Diehard photographerthumb.gif

ive also learned a ton watching LiquidAir, though l dont think i will ever do that style of photo i sure like to see it...

ive received quite a bit of inspiration watching Nikoli, his shots speak very loud. i looked at your home page and it seems your gaining a style kinda like his in a way. lets see what you come up with!

Yeah I noticed that...I tried looking up Nikoli and said it was an invalid user name, I do not suppose you have a link to their website so I can see what you are talking about?

Thanks for taking a look at my site...it is very bear right now, lol...slowing populating it with photos as I take them.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Here is a link to Nik's Best of 2007.

He also leads the way in the Weekly Assignments under Technique deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Yeah I noticed that...I tried looking up Nikoli and said it was an invalid user name, I do not suppose you have a link to their website so I can see what you are talking about?

Thanks for taking a look at my site...it is very bear right now, lol...slowing populating it with photos as I take them.

Nikolai's web site is here. Also check out his weekly and monthly assignments in the Technique forum. thumb.gif
    edited February 22, 2008
    Hah, Aaron beat me to it. :D
    edited February 22, 2008
    thanks Kerry & Aaron, my bad:fu
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 22, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Nikolai's web site is here. Also check out his weekly and monthly assignments in the Technique forum. thumb.gif
    Aaron(s:-), Kerry, thanks for the plug!thumb.gif
    One minor correction - zazzle (the site Kerry mentioned) is just a tiny offspring, a lame attempt at marketing. My main website is www.photosocal.com mwink.gifdeal.gif
    edited February 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Aaron, Kerry, thank for the plug!thumb.gif
    One minor correction - zazzle (the site Kerry mentioned) is just a tiny offspring, a lame attempt at marketing. My main website is www.photosocal.com mwink.gifdeal.gif

Woah--how weird! I cut and pasted the photosocal addy, but I guess it didn't take. I'd been at my own Zazzle page just before that. So sorry for the mix-up! 11doh.gif
    edited February 22, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Woah--how weird! I cut and pasted the photosocal addy, but I guess it didn't take. I'd been at my own Zazzle page just before that. So sorry for the mix-up! 11doh.gif
    Kerry, no problem at all, I know you meant good:-)iloveyou.gif
    edited February 22, 2008
    friday.gif

Okay, but try and get Joey too.

Charlie
    edited February 22, 2008
    Yeah you are. I have tremendous respect for both you and Aaron's work and opinions. Please, keep it all coming!

iloveyou.gif

Charlie