Rare photo opportunity...thoughts on BW conversion

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited February 27, 2008 in People
257883693_KQnYz-L.jpg

This opportunity doesn't happen much especially with all three of my kids looking at the camera. Playing around with natural light as usual and also with custom gradients that I built yesterday for my BW conversions. Thanks for looking:D

Shane
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif.... WOW!!! Love it!! IMHO, don't change a thing!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    oh, and find a wall to clear so you can put that one up!!!thumb.gif
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 21, 2008
    Great shot, Shane. thumb.gif I think the conversion suits the subject matter well.

Cheers,
  • Telf22Telf22 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2008
    Great shot! and yes, you should put this one up on the wall, its one of those photos.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Wow!!! What a photo!!! I love it .... iloveyou.gif
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thank guys for the wonderful comments.iloveyou.gif I sent one for print yesterday to see how the BW conversion prints on paper.

If it looks good, I have a coupon for a canvas and thought this would be a good photo for one. I only wish I had more room at the bottom so that I could do a gallery wrap (think that is what they call them).

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    AND you got your dog looking too! thumb.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited February 21, 2008
    AND you got your dog looking too! thumb.gif

Usually the dog is the more cooperative one. Imagine that!!!!

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    Thank guys for the wonderful comments.iloveyou.gif I sent one for print yesterday to see how the BW conversion prints on paper.

If it looks good, I have a coupon for a canvas and thought this would be a good photo for one. I only wish I had more room at the bottom so that I could do a gallery wrap (think that is what they call them).

Shane

Absolutely fantastic shot, Shane, and your conversion is, as always, BRILLIANT!

RE: canvas, I had one made thru canvas on demand, and you can have them sample a color from the photo if there's not enough room for the wrap. I had one done this way and I just love it, you wouldn't notice the image doesn't truly wrap unless someone pointed it out.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Oh, just beautiful, Shane! A definite wall hanger, for sure! And a terrific conversion. I LOVE it! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Great shot. Great pp. Great everything! Definite hanger!clap.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Great shot and a very nice conversion. I have only one little nit which is that your son's hair gets lost a bit in the black background. Not a big deal at all but you might try a localized curves adjustment to see if you can pull out a little more separation there.
    edited February 21, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Absolutely fantastic shot, Shane, and your conversion is, as always, BRILLIANT!

RE: canvas, I had one made thru canvas on demand, and you can have them sample a color from the photo if there's not enough room for the wrap. I had one done this way and I just love it, you wouldn't notice the image doesn't truly wrap unless someone pointed it out.

Thanks very much Lynne. I am going to check on that with Canvas on Demand. I just joined NAPP and found a coupon with them that I am going to use. Any other NAPP members out there check out discounts. I think the coupon is for 50 something which isn't bad.

Appreciate the compliment on the conversions. Always working on themrolleyes1.gif

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thanks Elaine, SloYer Roll and Liquid Air.

Liquid Air I took your suggestion and lightened up the upper part of his hair. Looks better. thumb.gif

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Shane
    It's perfect...don't change a thing....incredible you got all 3 looking in the same direction even..and the conversion is stellar. Wonderful!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Perfecto!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Really nice work. I love the calm emotion of the shot it's self and the conversion is beautiful with great tone and shadow detail.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Yes, sweet shot!

The subjects themselves must take a good chunk of the credit - all of them beautiful! Beware of confusing the photograph's-photographer's merits with the subject's(s'). Some things just are beautiful in themselves - children, some animals, gray tones, hair sheen, direct eye gaze (did you know that experiments have indicated that the longer direct gazing into each other's eyes strangers do the likelier they are to fall in love?)... The viewer has more than just eyes - they have a brain and an emotional system hard-wired to respond in certain ways to certain types of stimuli. Photography is exciting to me when it is playing with those factors. Here there is no such play.

I find the girl's face to be a little washed-out bright. I don't so much like the gradient from darker to lighter tones of the subjects across the image from left to right, dog to girl. I feel the crop is a little cramped - for such a relaxed posing, a little more ambiance would have complemented.

I DO like the image very much - as I said, I can't help not! It is haunting as encounters with beauty are. Thank you for that. But I would encourage you to explore the frontier where such beauty and our perceptions confront in a more controversial way!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited February 22, 2008
    Thank you again for all the nice comments. Appreciate you taking a look. :D

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Great
    edited February 22, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Yes, sweet shot!

The subjects themselves must take a good chunk of the credit - all of them beautiful! Beware of confusing the photograph's-photographer's merits with the subject's(s'). Some things just are beautiful in themselves - children, some animals, gray tones, hair sheen, direct eye gaze (did you know that experiments have indicated that the longer direct gazing into each other's eyes strangers do the likelier they are to fall in love?)... The viewer has more than just eyes - they have a brain and an emotional system hard-wired to respond in certain ways to certain types of stimuli. Photography is exciting to me when it is playing with those factors. Here there is no such play.

I find the girl's face to be a little washed-out bright. I don't so much like the gradient from darker to lighter tones of the subjects across the image from left to right, dog to girl. I feel the crop is a little cramped - for such a relaxed posing, a little more ambiance would have complemented.

I DO like the image very much - as I said, I can't help not! It is haunting as encounters with beauty are. Thank you for that. But I would encourage you to explore the frontier where such beauty and our perceptions confront in a more controversial way!

Neil....thank you very much for the specific feedback. I got the print back yesterday and you are right on in your feedback. Actually in print, my sons face looks a little hot around the cheeks and forehead. Caroline's as well could be toned down. I see what you are talking about with the gradient tones from left to right.

Good thing I shoot in RAW!. Worked this again last night and and watched for the areas mentioned above.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    ...in print, my sons face looks a little hot around the cheeks and forehead. Caroline's as well could be toned down...

It IS a nice shot. And I think it will work well for display. And since you shot in RAW, here's a suggestion:

Try using a green filter effect when doing the B&W conversion. (Several editing apps have this feature. DPP, for instance.) It won't make the photo look green. (After all, it'll be B&W, right?) What it does is render a B&W image that has been shot under a greenish light. It's a common technique for bringing out clouds and leaves when shooting B&W landscapes, but it also works very well to add contrast detail to white skin and hair.

Give it a whirl!
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Eheheh this is splendid
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    perfect to say the least !!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    excellent shot!!!!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited February 22, 2008
    Really appreciate the comments from everyone. Have a great weekend:D

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Great capture and conversion.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Great capture and conversion.

I agree. Very nice!!!thumb.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Wow! Just stunning!!! clap.gif