Rare photo opportunity...thoughts on BW conversion

2»

Comments

• Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I love BW conversions and this one is excellent! The brightness of the picture really makes it stand out. Great shot!
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Hey Shane, I just saw the pic. Excellent grab! Definitely a wall hanger (like everyone has said)!. Gorgeous pup, too

Izzy
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Yes, sweet shot!

The subjects themselves must take a good chunk of the credit - all of them beautiful! Beware of confusing the photograph's-photographer's merits with the subject's(s'). Some things just are beautiful in themselves - children, some animals, gray tones, hair sheen, direct eye gaze (did you know that experiments have indicated that the longer direct gazing into each other's eyes strangers do the likelier they are to fall in love?)... The viewer has more than just eyes - they have a brain and an emotional system hard-wired to respond in certain ways to certain types of stimuli. Photography is exciting to me when it is playing with those factors. Here there is no such play.

I find the girl's face to be a little washed-out bright. I don't so much like the gradient from darker to lighter tones of the subjects across the image from left to right, dog to girl. I feel the crop is a little cramped - for such a relaxed posing, a little more ambiance would have complemented.

I DO like the image very much - as I said, I can't help not! It is haunting as encounters with beauty are. Thank you for that. But I would encourage you to explore the frontier where such beauty and our perceptions confront in a more controversial way!

Nice!!!! You have beautiful children (including your dog!). Great comments by NeilL. I love direct gaze in photography. It isn't always innovative, but holds my attention and makes me come back and look...again and again. It's pleasurable to view upon a shot such as this. As a mother, I am attracted to and appreciate the sereneness of the pose and know how rare it is to get 2 children and a dog to look so relaxed (not forced) and thoughtful in one simultaneous moment. I imagine chaos broke out shortly thereafter!!! lol3.gif This will make a great canvas. If you measure your shot carefully and extend your canvas, you can clone around the edges for the wrap and it turns out very well. I did a couple that way.
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Thank you again guys for looking and leaving such nice comments.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited February 23, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Nice!!!! You have beautiful children (including your dog!). Great comments by NeilL. I love direct gaze in photography. It isn't always innovative, but holds my attention and makes me come back and look...again and again. It's pleasurable to view upon a shot such as this. As a mother, I am attracted to and appreciate the sereneness of the pose and know how rare it is to get 2 children and a dog to look so relaxed (not forced) and thoughtful in one simultaneous moment. I imagine chaos broke out shortly thereafter!!! lol3.gif This will make a great canvas. If you measure your shot carefully and extend your canvas, you can clone around the edges for the wrap and it turns out very well. I did a couple that way.

You should see the other few shots taken before this one. The only consistent direct look in all of them was from the dog. This will probably turn out to be my "one in a million shot" of the kids so it definitely will be printed on canvas. I may have to contact you on more details on extended the canvas as this will be my first one. Appreciate the compliment on the kids.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited February 23, 2008
    One in a million...........that's what makes it special! There is a thread or tutorial somewhere on extending the canvas...I'll see if I can dig it up, it's been a while since I did it.
    edited February 23, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    One in a million...........that's what makes it special! There is a thread or tutorial somewhere on extending the canvas...I'll see if I can dig it up, it's been a while since I did it.

Thanks I would appreciate that. Hope you can find it.

SHane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited February 23, 2008
    Ok, there aren't specific instructions but I got the idea in this thread that Mitchell posted here. You will want to start with SmugMug's tutorial to get exact size in Photoshop and to know how much canvas you need to extend. And then just clone along the edges. It generally doesn't have to be perfect, and since it is wrapped around an edge, you can't really tell it isn't a full frame shot. If you're unsure of your finished results, have one of the experts look at it before you place your order. Have fun!
    edited February 23, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Ok, there aren't specific instructions but I got the idea in this thread that Mitchell posted here. You will want to start with SmugMug's tutorial to get exact size in Photoshop and to know how much canvas you need to extend. And then just clone along the edges. It generally doesn't have to be perfect, and since it is wrapped around an edge, you can't really tell it isn't a full frame shot. If you're unsure of your finished results, have one of the experts look at it before you place your order. Have fun!

Cool. Thanks a bunch. thumb.gif
    Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Try these guys:

http://www.whcc.com/

incredible quality and turnaround time. they will also stretch it for you and frame it. tons of cool products they offer.

Also fotoflot.com could be neat
    edited February 23, 2008
    Try these guys:

http://www.whcc.com/

incredible quality and turnaround time. they will also stretch it for you and frame it. tons of cool products they offer.

Also fotoflot.com could be neat

I actually have an account with them but have just never used them. I know they have a great reputation. Another one that gets good reviews is Simply Canvas.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    I really like this conversion. Excellent job!
    edited February 27, 2008
    I really like this conversion. Excellent job!

Thanks Kevin. Wrote a tutorial awhile back and posted here at Dgrin on how to do it. I have been playing around with gradients and actually used two for this one. Adjusting opacity of each until I like the blend of tones. Always add a color balance layer to adjust tones in the midtones, shadows and highlights.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Fabulous image and a great memory for the future. Post an image of the final product on the wall when it's all done. mwink.gif
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Amazing shot!!! Totally one for the wall!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11