Options

Photography Survey - Please fill out & help me gather data :)

13»

Comments

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I made it safely to Japan. I will be posting photos in the Journey section of Dgrin while I'm here... and should start doing some surveying here tomorrow.

I'm up to an amazing 214 completed surveys for the survey I posted here :)
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    That was easy nod.gif Would love to see the results when you've finished.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Finished.
  • Options
    kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    thumb.gif I would love to read the report when you are done. Should be interesting...
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Here is a link to the survey I kept mentioning in the other thread about brand sightings of camera companies.
    thumb.gif one more:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Done!

And I've got a comment that I forgot to mention, with the question "Which is best" It seems rather generic, because it all depends on what your looking for, If I where after the true best, it would likely be medium format, or something of that sort... though I suppose if your focus is brand loyalty, then perhaps vague is good, to allow the responders to follow their own priorities...

Also, it might be interesting if you split up those categories a little more, i.e. Prosumer DSLRs, Professional DSLRs, etc...
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Done, hope you have as much luck in Japan
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    just submitted one!! Thanks for the reference from the Thread on Japan!! I totally looked over this! :cry

BUT I DID IT!! wings.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Here is a link to the survey I kept mentioning in the other thread about brand sightings of camera companies.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=ppS7_MLHJm1NJ8e_IYUCbcQ

Once you fill it out it automatically puts it into my google doc spreadsheet making it super easy for me to compile data. Your answers will be kept in confidence.

I am writing the paper on Canon and Nikon comparing history, marketing, brand loyalty and other such areas between the two (both comparing them in Japan and elsewhere). I will be conducting a Japanese version of this exact survey while I am in Japan from March 1st - 11th.

I will gladly post the final paper at the end of the semester (May) once it is finished! The paper is supposed to be 20-25 pages upon completion... though depending on how interesting it gets we may see it grow beyond that and I would love if it gets lots of great response to eventually expand it even beyond what I am required to write for the class. (My personal *big* goal would be to expand it into a book once I'm done with my Masters... I am graduating with my Master of Arts in August after I complete two summer courses).

Alrighty, enough babbling. Please fill out the survey, it is not very long and shouldn't take you a lot of time. Thanks! Let me know if there are any questions.
    This survey is incredibly biased. why does everyone have to think their brand is best?
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    This survey is incredibly biased. why does everyone have to think their brand is best?

I don't rolleyes1.gif

Fortunately I don't have $soul to spend anymore to make the switch.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:

Why would people prefer a brand they haven't invested in?
    i.e.headscratch.gif Who would buy Nikon and tell everyone they preferred Canon?

However I think I know what you mean, in that the wording of the questionnaire is very limiting;)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    Why would people prefer a brand they haven't invested in?
    i.e.headscratch.gif Who would buy Nikon and tell everyone they preferred Canon?

However I think I know what you mean, in that the wording of the questionnaire is very limiting;)

I am comparing Nikon and Canon because they hold the market share by a large amount in the photography business. That's why questions are Canon, Nikon or other. Thanks for the continued surveys.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:

Um, is this a trick question? Why would anyone buy gear from a brand they don't think is the best for their needs? ne_nau.gifscratch

Yeah, some take that to a silly extreme (fanboys), but most of us here take a balanced view of things.

Oh, BTW, which brand should I consider best: Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Mamiya, Olympus, or Casio? I have gear from all of them...
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Done, and done.

I am interested in reading the final product!
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    Who would buy Nikon and tell everyone they preferred Canon?

In my case we're talking about changes in shooting style as well as changes in product lines. I been using Canon gear since the 300D was new and the 10D was still the hot product. Nikon's line has had a slight advantage with the D200 and more so with the D300. Very recent stuff.

I'm not actually considering making the switch, it is completely out of my financial reach, and the differences aren't quite ground breaking.

Both companies are perfectly capable of making cameras that do a very good job of not getting in the way of good pictures.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Done.

Interested in your final results. Perhaps you can post them here?

Good luck.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I am comparing Nikon and Canon because they hold the market share by a large amount in the photography business. That's why questions are Canon, Nikon or other. Thanks for the continued surveys.

I didn't mean limiting to two Brands I meant I was expecting a longer more indepth survey - not that II am bothered in the slightestmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    debairedebaire Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2008
    I may have filled it out...or may be not. It is supposed to be confidential, right? :D
  • Options
    joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Done
    Have fun!clap.gif
    www.jlm-photos.com
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    debaire wrote:
    I may have filled it out...or may be not. It is supposed to be confidential, right? :D

ggod point!rolleyes1.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    ggod point!rolleyes1.gif

If you don't include an email address for me to contact you at then you will be completely confidential :) Last time I checked Google Spreadsheets wasn't logging IP addresses that I could see.