Options

Assignment for the Week: 3/26 - 4/2

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 3, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's your photo assignment for this week: Circles.

• Photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
  • Circles means the primary focal point of your image should be a circle of some sort.
Have at it.

Advanced spin: Use a 50mm focal length only. Post EXIF data if you are submitting for this category.
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    3094450-S.jpg MMMMMMMMM Brings back memories of high school days and nights. 3094560-S.jpg Circles within squares.
  • Options
    Max PowerMax Power Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Win38-55 wrote:
    3094450-S.jpg MMMMMMMMM Brings back memories of high school days and nights. 3094560-S.jpg Circles within squares.

I want one of these.
    "Um... Sir... Your lens cap is still on"
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    I'm charging my camera batteries tonight, looking forward to finding what I can find. Shooting tomorrow for sure.

Until then, here's one...

-Doug

3025776-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I'm charging my camera batteries tonight, looking forward to finding what I can find. Shooting tomorrow for sure.

Until then, here's one...

-Doug
    Beautiful gears, dugmar. Please direct link to a website if at all possible...preferably smugmug.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Win38-55 wrote:
    3094450-S.jpg MMMMMMMMM Brings back memories of high school days and nights. Circles within squares.
    win38...try turning off AWB and use a custom one for indoors under incandescent or fluorescent lighting.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    The only thing I watch on that is the barometer. I counted over 40 circles in those gear pictures. What are they from?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    I just held a finger over the flash to keep glare down. Not sure what AWB is, where might I look for it. Sony MVC-FV200. I am listening to music, A String Cheese Incident, but I have no Average White Band. :D
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Win38-55 wrote:
    I just held a finger over the flash to keep glare down. Not sure what AWB is, where might I look for it. Sony MVC-FV200. I am listening to music, A String Cheese Incident, but I have no Average White Band. :D
    I recommend RTFM.

Auto WB indoors no flash:
    3095229-M.jpg

Custom WB indoors no flash:

3095230-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

Not exactly what I meant. Use [ IMG] tags to direct link the images. Right click on one of mine and check properties.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Not exactly what I meant. Use [ IMG] tags to direct link the images. Right click on one of mine and check properties.
    Got it. I'm all over it now.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    crap...ain't no circles in those WB samples I posted. oh well. can i get a pass?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Nikon D100
    2004/03/27
    28-80 mm at 50mm
    Shutter priority
    1/250th - f11
    ISO 200
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Henri Cartier-Bresson's camera
    I just shot these for the Fred Miranda WA tools, but they'll work here as well.

This is a Lieca IIIf, circa about 1950. My all time favorite photographer, Cartier-Bresson, used this model for his pictures after the war (he upgraded when this model came out and rumor had it that he never upgraded again). He never used anything other than the 50mm f2 lens (and no cropping!) He wrote that he would have liked to shoot in color, but the film wasn't good enough (I think he meant fast enough.)

3095200-M.jpg

3095199-M.jpg

3095197-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Same lens and camera,

at 50mm

1 Sec at f11

brightened in PS
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    OK, I will read the instruction bookheadscratch.gif I found where to turn off the flash. Thanks for the help. Sometimes I just ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Rutt, I love those pics of the camera. I especially like how you captured the metallic look in the last two. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    WingsWings Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Alright alright so it's from last week but I couldn't pass the circles up :D
    2938929-M.jpg
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Musical Circles.
    Eh, I don't play them much anymore, so why not turn them into art? mwink.gif

3102820-M.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's your photo assignment for this week: Circles.
    • Photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
    • Circles means the primary focal point of your image should be a circle of some sort.
    Have at it.

Advanced spin: Use a 50mm focal length only. Post EXIF data if you are submitting for this category.
    and yes there are some circles here.... somewhat...
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    and yes there are some circles here.... somewhat...
    somewhere....
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    First submission for me...

3104517-L.jpg
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Fish I love how you consult the fence for the 'shape' assignments. Another beaut! What lens you got there?
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Fish I love how you consult the fence for the 'shape' assignments. Another beaut! What lens you got there?
    The fence has most of the answers (deck actually). That (and the other macros I've posted today) are all from the Canon 100/2.8 macro.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    A few more circles...

3105443-L.jpg

3105444-L.jpg

3105445-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Ahem. Exif? 50mm? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    Okay, I drove around all day and didn't find any circles that inspired me. Then, when I walked in the door to my house, I saw it right in front of me...

-Doug

3107151-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    Another...

3107152-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    And another...

3107192-M.jpg