Muench Workshop: Extreme Sierras, August 2008

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    I seem to have created a silence here, as no-one is able to help out. Not to worry - I have rented a car and will see you all there - looking forward to meeting up with everyone... Sarah
    Sorry Sarah, I'm coming down from the bay area.... see you there!
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry Sarah, I'm coming down from the bay area.... see you there!
    Thanks Andy - no problem - I decided to use the opportunity to get there a couple of days early and explore the Mohave desert, stay in Ridgecrest, find the Bristlecone forest that I have seen so many photos of, - and any other tips for the area? This is the theoretical jet lag cure.! Will have a new TS and pano gear to play with :-))))))) Looking forward to seeing you.
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Sarah,

I will send you some pointers for the Bristlecone trees. They are up at around ten thousand feet so the air will be cool compared with the 90s and 100s of the Mojave that time of year. Another consideration is the Mammoth Mountain area.
    Just let me know if there is another area you are considering and I can include it in the pointers.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    This email went out to all participants in this workshop. If you're attending, keep an eye out for it.
    Greetings!

As we get nearer to our adventure high in the Sierras, there are some last minute details that we want to go over with you. Please read all of this carefully and reply to this email so that we KNOW you have received it. The information in here is too important for any of us to miss. (info@muenchworkhsops.com)

High Altitude

The High Sierras are... high. Altitude sickness should be taken very seriously, as it can ruin your entire experience in the back country. If you have previous experience at high altitudes and have not experienced any problems you can disregard this info. However, for those that really don't know, you may want to take preventative measures. The very best option is to speak with your doctor about preventative treatment. We are not doctors and are not giving medical advice. We do not assume any responsibility for your altitude sickness.

First and foremost, stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water, even when you're not thirsty. Start this practice a few days before the trip.

You may also want to get to Bishop a day early in order to acclimate yourself to the altitude, but this is up to you.

Your doctor MAY recommend Diamox. To be very clear, we are not making any medical recommendations. Please know that altitude sickness can be very unpleasant and can even require that you descend to a lower altitude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetazolamide

We will be sleeping at an elevation of 8,000 feet on the first night to acclimatize ourselves before hiking up to 10,000 feet the following day. Throughout the week we will occasionally be hiking up to 10,500 feet but will not go higher unless there is enough interest from the group.

Personal Gear

Your personal gear is limited to 40 pounds and a 36" duffel. You will be carrying your own camera equipment, so that is not included in the limit. This restriction applies only to your other belongings, which will include sleeping gear. We will provide a sleeping bag and pad to those who request it, but if you have your own and can bring it, please do so. You will be more comfortable sleeping in your own gear. Pillows are not provided but you can roll up your jacket or bring your own.

Temperatures could range from the upper 30s to the 80s.

Remember: Personal gear is limited to 40 lbs./36" duffel
    • Pillow
    • Sleeping bag/pad if you have it. Otherwise, please request it from us in your reply.
    • Insect repellent
    • Sunscreen (include a small tube for your daypack)
    • Head lamp and/or flashlight
    • Personal water bottle and/or purifier (pump filter type)
    • Coffee mugs will be provided, but you may wish to bring your own
    • Reading book
    • Warm jacket
    • Shorts for daytime
    • Boots with ankle support for hiking around rocks and through streams
    • Rain parka and pants that fit in day pack
    • Poncho to use as a tarp or to throw over yourself or your gear in a downpour
    • gloves
    • We recommend pants very similar to these http://www.rei.com/product/741727 that are good for backpacking, as the fabric stretches and is tougher than jeans.
    • If you plan on fishing you will need a permit (available in Bishop the day you arrive)

A Note on Personal Hygeine

Toilet paper will be provided in camp, but you may want to bring a bit for when you're out on the trail. The parks service is requesting that you pack out the paper. So please bring some baggies and whatever else you think you may need or want: gloves, hand sanitizer, etc. The packers will pack out the baggies in the trash. You only need to get it back to camp. Please understand that human waste is becoming a problem up in this area, and the packers tell us that the parks service is close to requiring that you pack out the waste as well. In an effort to keep that from happening, the packers are asking that we comply with the request to carry out the paper.

Photo Equipment

Pack light. Marc uses a normal daypack and wraps his camera gear in "Calumet wraps", so that he is not carrying the extra weight of the padding. This also provides space for rain gear, water and food that you will want while being away from camp during the day. If you really want a camera pack then maybe bring a separate light pack for those times when we do hike away from camp and use the camera bag while around camp. Pare your lenses down and only take what you must. Regarding tripods, keep them small and light. Marc will be using his small Slik tripod with the RRS BH-25 ball head.

Necessary
    • camerapackers
    • tripod
    • two extra batteries
    • wide angle lens

Additional
    • point and shoot camera
    • pano equipment
    • medium focal length 200mm
    • intervalometer or remote release for long exposures
    • Epson P-2000/P-3000 or similar storage device w/ extra battery for viewing

Once we are at camp there will be no power for charging batteries or a laptop, so please make sure you have enough spare batteries and storage for your images that will not require electricity.

Schedule

August 24
    • Meet at 5 pm for dinner and evening slide show at Cardinal Village

August 25
    • Drop off belongings to packers to get loaded on mules
    • Eat breakfast
    • Drive to trailhead, leave cars
    • Hike in

August 25-28
    We will have three full days to:
    • shoot sunrise and sunset at lakes around camp
    • shoot night exposures of stars – unbelievably clear skies
    • Marc, David and Andy will demonstrate photographic techniques to the group
    • hike to many different locations during the day
    • climb/scramble up local high altitude summits
    • lay in the sun by a clear mountain stream while the trout jump
    • critique images during the evening on Marc's laptop

August 29
    • possible sunrise shoot
    • breakfast
    • hike out
    • lunch at Cardinal Village
    • pick up gear from packers
    • drive down to Bishop
    • check in to hotel
    • showers
    • dinner/critique

August 30
    • check out, go home (let the processing begin!)

Emergencies

In the event of an emergency the packers tell us that anyone can be helicoptered out within 1.5 to 2 hours. The packers will contact search and rescue if this is required.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 19, 2008
    Sarah,

I will send you some pointers for the Bristlecone trees. They are up at around ten thousand feet so the air will be cool compared with the 90s and 100s of the Mojave that time of year. Another consideration is the Mammoth Mountain area.
    Just let me know if there is another area you are considering and I can include it in the pointers.

Here's the Wikipedia entry for the White Mountains. Certainly worth a visit.

Mammoth Mountain is also worth looking into. The Devil's Postpile is here and
    just a bit farther North is Mono Lake.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 19, 2008
    Here are two of my fathers images from the Patriarch Grove, which is where I would suggest going while visiting the Bristlecones.

316190820_MFeAx-M.jpg

316190835_XEm4N-M.jpg

Regarding Mammoth mountain area, I would rec visiting Devils Postpile as Ian suggested and also Lake George and Mary Lake. These two lakes are easy to get to and offer a apline environment.
    Just down the road is Convict Lake. Here is one of my favorite locations out where the fisherman hang outthumb.gif
    316198208_iKVzV-M.jpg
    Owens River

Look all these names up on Google Earth for directions.

Cheers
    edited June 20, 2008
    Here are two of my fathers images from the Patriarch Grove, which is where I would suggest going while visiting the Bristlecones.

Regarding Mammoth mountain area, I would rec visiting Devils Postpile as Ian suggested and also Lake George and Mary Lake. These two lakes are easy to get to and offer a apline environment.
    Just down the road is Convict Lake. Here is one of my favorite locations out where the fisherman hang out:thum

Look all these names up on Google Earth for directions.

Cheers

fabulous -thanks very much, Marc and Ian - I'm drooling already -mmm, think I'm going to be busy!!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
    edited June 20, 2008
    Packing Light.

During the day hiking, for camera gear, I'll be carrying:

* Gitzo 2530 Tripod w/ BH-40 Head, w/ pano clamp (I removed the LR-II to save a bit of weight!)

* 1Ds Mark III w/ 24 TS-E on board

* 10stop ND Filter, C-PL Filter

* 50mm Macro

* 70-200 f/2.8L IS but this one gets serious consideration each day and may land in the duffel bag for the packers lol3.gif

* Remote shutter release

* Canon SD-870 IS Point 'n Shoot for fun stuff and anything in the range of 28-105mm

That's it. I'm still debating on using my Crumpler Farmer's Double or a traditional day-pack. We'll see, gotta have room for lunch, trail snacks, water, rain gear, etc.
    edited June 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Packing Light.

* Gitzo 2530 Tripod w/ BH-40 Head, w/ pano clamp (I removed the LR-II to save a bit of weight!)

* 50mm Macro

* 70-200 f/2.8L IS but this one gets serious consideration each day and may land in the duffel bag for the packers lol3.gif

* 10 stop ND and C-PL Filters

* Remote shutter release

* Canon SD-870 IS Point 'n Shoot for fun stuff and anything in the range of 28-105mm

That's it.

How many 10 stop ND and C-PL filters you need? mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Just in case he needs spares!mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited June 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    How many 10 stop ND and C-PL filters you need? mwink.gif
    oops fixed :D
    edited June 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    oops fixed :D

Hey, if I were going I would be just that excited, too! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 20, 2008
    I'm bringing pretty much the same stuff as Andy. But I'll let him carry the
    70-200 lol3.gif
    edited June 21, 2008
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    fabulous -thanks very much, Marc and Ian - I'm drooling already -mmm, think I'm going to be busy!!

Marc and Ian - advice please! I had thought of staying Fri and Sat in Ridgecrest (driving from LAX Friday morning), playing in the Mohave desert, ghost towns Fossil falls etc on the way. Am I better to head straight up to Bishop? Bristlecone and Mammoth Lakes look more interesting. I am pretty keen not to end up arriving places in mid day light and am unsure of distances driving. Would you maybe recommend Friday night in Ridgecrest and then Saturday night in Bishop, or maybe Mammoth itself? Drive straight up from LAX and skip the other places?? Can I do the whole of this area in 2 days, with it being completely new territory and having no idea where to start??!! Am I trying to do too much with Bristlecone Forest and Mammoth lakes?!! What is driving like in small economy car - I will be on my own without a phone so don't really want to get into "tiger country"!! Enough questions already!! Thanks a bunch - Sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    edited June 21, 2008
    Ridgecrest is a couple of hours or so from Bishop. The Bristlecone Pine Forest
    is maybe an hour from Bishop.

To put it in perspective, LAX is about 5 hours from Bishop.

If it were me, I would probably come to Bishop from LAX. Then hit the pine
    forest and maybe Devils Post Pile. Nothing too stressful. Bishop is about
    4100 feet in altitude and if you live at sea level, this gives you time to get
    out and do a few things while you acclimate. You could easily spend a day
    or two exploring.
    edited June 21, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Ridgecrest is a couple of hours or so from Bishop. The Bristlecone Pine Forest
    is maybe an hour from Bishop.

To put it in perspective, LAX is about 5 hours from Bishop.

If it were me, I would probably come to Bishop from LAX. Then hit the pine
    forest and maybe Devils Post Pile. Nothing too stressful. Bishop is about
    4100 feet in altitude and if you live at sea level, this gives you time to get
    out and do a few things while you acclimate. You could easily spend a day
    or two exploring.

Hi Ian, Thanks very much - I had a feeling as I was writing my questions that I was getting that kind of an answer for myself. Google seems to suggest 6-7 hours from LAX to Bishop, but maybe they have to keep in the speed limits when they're giving the numbers! I have a feeling that I can find things to do on the way to Bishop by staying in Ridgecrest, but that I am then going to kick myself for things missed that you and Marc are suggesting. What is the driving like, for a small car in those areas? I live at 422 metres above SL which translates to around 1500 ft, so a slow climb sounds like a good idea. The 9 hour jet lag will be the real killer - I shall be ready for sunrises around midnight or earlier! Do you know an economical B&B in the Bishop/Mammoth lakes area? I will search on Google but wondered if your apparently extensive experience of the area covers that as well? thanks again - Sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    Marc and Ian - advice please! What is driving like in small economy car - I will be on my own without a phone so don't really want to get into "tiger country"!! Enough questions already!! Thanks a bunch - Sarah

I know nothing of the area you will be driving through; but a cell phone from this site http://www.tracfone.com/ (which can be picked up in many drug stores, Wal-Marts, etc.) for as little as $15 might offer peace of mind on the road. I have been using their phones as my only cell phone for years (upgrading phones over the years) and have found them great because I am on a cell very little but do want the ability to call at times.

Have a great time.
    Jane B.
    edited June 21, 2008
    I tend to, ah, drive a little fast at times. You might be more correct in the
    length of time it takes to get from LA. Plus, I didn't add anything like time
    to get the car, customs or any of that.

I have to say that the BC Pine forest is something that is truly amazing. I'd
    put it in the "must" category. But then stuff like that is important to me.

The White Mountain Research Station has an open house every year around
    this time. You can get tours, etc. But I don't recall the weekend. Wait. It's
    the 31st of July through the 3rd of August. Darn, because that's pretty cool
    to see as well. Here's a link to WMRS.
    edited June 21, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I tend to, ah, drive a little fast at times. You might be more correct in the
    length of time it takes to get from LA. Plus, I didn't add anything like time
    to get the car, customs or any of that.

I have to say that the BC Pine forest is something that is truly amazing. I'd
    put it in the "must" category. But then stuff like that is important to me.

The White Mountain Research Station has an open house every year around
    this time. You can get tours, etc. But I don't recall the weekend. Wait. It's
    the 31st of July through the 3rd of August. Darn, because that's pretty cool
    to see as well. Here's a link to WMRS.
    You guys are amazing - thank you so much for all this info - Jane - the tracphone looks very interesting - it's 1 am here and I have looked at the home page now, so will delve into the nitty gritty tomorrow, when I have more energy, and I'll take a look at the WMRS. Thank you Ian. I must say that I am inclined to race (within the speed limit , of course!!) up to Bishop and have Friday evening through Sunday morning sunrises and -sets in one area, so that I have more day time for recce and don't spend/waste time further south. I thought that Bishop was much closer than it actually seems to be, so many thanks for all this this advice. I might be slightly bleary eyed on arrival at Cardinal Village - seems like a lot of ground to cover in a short time. Looks fabulous. thanks guys - sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    edited June 21, 2008
    If you want something relaxing to do; find Mountain Light and see some of Galen Rowell's work. Galen and his wife Barbara were quite the photographers. You may also know Galen from his climbing (Yosemite & the Himalaya). Barbara, aside from being a photographer, was also a pilot and has flown small planes all over the place.

Sadly, the Rowells and two others were killed in a small plane crash some years ago. Their gallery remains in Bishop though and is well worth the visit.
    edited June 21, 2008
    Regarding the Mojave in Aug, it will be VERY HOTeek7.gif The air will be cool once you get to Mammoth. I would recommend going to Bishop and spending the night. Then paying a visit to the White Mountain Forest Service visitor center for info about the Bristlecone Pines. They can provide directions and temperatures and all that good stuff. The drive up to the Bristlecone Trees is very dramatic, climbing over 5 thousand feet in elevation so you will want to take your time. I would suggest visiting the groves in the afternoon to orient yourself and shoot the late light. The drive back down will be about an hour. This is why you are going to want to stay in Bishop again as the drive to mammoth is about an hour further North from Bishop. I do think you will find much to see around Bishop. You can take photos at Owens River and drive back to Bishop as well.

I hope this helps
    edited June 22, 2008
    Regarding the Mojave in Aug, it will be VERY HOTeek7.gif The air will be cool once you get to Mammoth. I would recommend going to Bishop and spending the night. Then paying a visit to the White Mountain Forest Service visitor center for info about the Bristlecone Pines. They can provide directions and temperatures and all that good stuff. The drive up to the Bristlecone Trees is very dramatic, climbing over 5 thousand feet in elevation so you will want to take your time. I would suggest visiting the groves in the afternoon to orient yourself and shoot the late light. The drive back down will be about an hour. This is why you are going to want to stay in Bishop again as the drive to mammoth is about an hour further North from Bishop. I do think you will find much to see around Bishop. You can take photos at Owens River and drive back to Bishop as well.

I hope this helps

Helps mucho mucho - thanks very much. Yes, I checked what 100-105F was in centigrade for the Mohave and thought that could be stressful, stepping out of the air conditioned car...guess I can shoot through the car windows, huh? or just shoot straight through to Bishop, which seems to be the overall consensus. Sounds like "last to bus" is going to have plenty to do. I think I can take my time climbing to 5000ft, as you suggest, with another photo stop every few feet!! Have loved reading Galen Rowell's books, but hadn't remembered that the gallery is in Bishop, as these are all names that meant little to me, having never considered the possibility of going there. Thanks for that suggestion, Ian
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    The area seems to be pretty well covered with smoke from the recent satellite photos. Hope they are able to get a handle on the fires in the next few months - of course mostly for the sake of folks living there as well as the photography trip.
    edited July 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Packing Light.

* 50mm Macro

* Remote shutter release

That's it. I'm still debating on using my Crumpler Farmer's Double or a traditional day-pack. We'll see, gotta have room for lunch, trail snacks, water, rain gear, etc.
    So I purchased this pack over the weekend. Reason: lunch, snacks, and water, and a bit of extra clothing won't all fit in my camera backpack. Like Marc suggested, I'll get a few Calumet Wraps all will be safe 'n sound.
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Anyone flying into / out of Reno interested in sharing a car? Seems a waste for a rental to sit at the lodge for a week.
    edited July 8, 2008
    SteveF wrote:
    Anyone flying into / out of Reno interested in sharing a car? Seems a waste for a rental to sit at the lodge for a week.

same reason for my post way back - I will have a car sitting there also!! -from LAX, but doing the couple of days of photography before the workshop will have to salve my conscience a bit... Sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    edited July 10, 2008
    SteveF wrote:
    Yes, I have some one for you. Email me....
    edited August 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    So I purchased this pack over the weekend. Reason: lunch, snacks, and water, and a bit of extra clothing won't all fit in my camera backpack. Like Marc suggested, I'll get a few Calumet Wraps all will be safe 'n sound.

346500234_RMzmt-M-1.jpg346500361_gSgyu-M.jpg

Gotta be prepared, so I checked it out. Not bad, not bad at all. All my stuff inside, camera, filters, lenses, waterbottles, raingear, and still room for lunch / snacks / more crap..... I was also nicely surprised about how the tripod fix in the pouch like that..... I was expecting to have to do a Betsy Ross job on this pack! And, it's super comfortable.
    edited August 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I was expecting to have to do a Betsy Ross job on this pack! And, it's super comfortable.
    The Kelty packs are pretty nice. I have used a smaller version for the last few years as my daily backpack. Very happy.
    edited August 6, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    The Kelty packs are pretty nice. I have used a smaller version for the last few years as my daily backpack. Very happy.
    Me too!

http://blog.moonriverphotography.com/2008/08/photography-bags.html