Muench Workshop: Extreme Sierras, August 2008

13»

Comments

• CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I'm gonna bring a Karachi Outpost... should have ample space for gear and food and a rain cape.

We're at 1 1/2 weeks now... :D:D

I think I'm going to head up a day early and maybe shoot in Yosemite (along Tioga Pass) and maybe Mono Lake on Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning, and then may stay a couple extra days and shoot around Bishop (Bristlecones) and Devils Postpile on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, for whoever's game.

Have to hit up someone for waypoints that I can load into my Garmin... anyone got some suggestions? thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 13, 2008
    We are leaving a day or so early. Planning on Yosemite/Mono Lake.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    I'm gonna bring a Karachi Outpost... should have ample space for gear and food and a rain cape.

I hope so! Have you checked? ear.gif
    edited August 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I hope so! Have you checked? ear.gif

No, it's on the way.

Track your package
    Date Time Location Event Details
    August 13, 2008 08:07:00 AM SUNNYVALE CA US Out for delivery
    August 13, 2008 07:30:00 AM SUNNYVALE CA US Arrival Scan
    August 13, 2008 05:26:00 AM OAKLAND CA US Departure Scan
    August 12, 2008 07:27:00 PM OAKLAND CA US Arrival Scan
    August 12, 2008 05:15:00 AM INDIANAPOLIS IN US Arrival Scan
    August 11, 2008 09:51:00 AM YORK PA US Departure Scan
    August 11, 2008 09:32:00 AM YORK PA US Shipment received by carrier
    August 10, 2008 07:06:00 PM --- Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

/me taps foot.
    edited August 13, 2008
    I don't think it's gonna work. I have one. The one series body doesn't fit so well.
    edited August 14, 2008
    I plan on packing all my stuff in an Ortlieb dry bag. This is the same bag I've used for M/C camping and like any dry bag, as long as you don't over fill it, your stuff stays dry and protected. www.ortliebusa.com is the place to see what's what (look under "Duffels"). This is what I'll pile all the stuff for the packers to carry in.

The bag looks like this:

RackPack.gif

Like Andy, I'm going the day pack route for my camera gear. Don't forget to toss a garbage bag in as well. You can use this to keep your gear dry in case of rain.
    edited August 14, 2008
    I'm bringing a North Face rubberized duffel to hold the stuff... not overly huge (duffels that are too big, I spend like an hour looking for a freaking sock). Works well, and I can shoulder it like a backpack (it has straps) in a pinch. I used it for Cycle Oregon a few times, worked great.

You're right on the Karachi. I think I can get less in it than I got in the Lowe Pro. The curved shape really does steal a lot of space. On the plus side, there are way fewer bungie cords hanging off tarnation. That cheezed me off. Oh, and when I threw my bag in the overhead bin on a the trip to Bryce/Utah I had a Nalgene bottle attached to a bungie... it swung out and clocked an 80+ year old lady across the face. Oops. Her husband grumbled at me for an hour before I told him to shut up. I sorta figured after apologizing profusely for 15 minutes, there wasn't much else I could do. rolleyes1.gif

On the plus side, the Karachi is also is easier to get into because I don't have to unclip the tripod first to get to the contents.

Though I may leave the 85mm 1.2 at home... not sure if I need it on this trip. I'm going to borrow the 14mm from a buddy. Everybody's out of the 24mm T/S and I don't really want to spend that much coin right now anyway so I'll just have the 70-200 2.8IS, 24-70, 17-40, and 14mm.
    edited August 14, 2008
    Spoke to the locals.... the burros will have rain covers :D And they're used to trekking in fragile gear.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Spoke to the locals.... the burros will have rain covers :D And they're used to trekking in fragile gear.

This is very true, BUT always pad anything delicatedeal.gif I wrap such items in towels, this way I can always use the padding to dry off it need bethumb.gif The duffels go inside lanyards/saddlebags so they do stay quite dry. However, there is that chance between burrow ride and camp where the gear is pilled high in the open. If it is raining they will throw a tarp over just in case so one ought to be safe without dry bags.
    edited August 21, 2008
    Duffel is packed!
    Gear is ready!
    Batteries charged!

:smo :smo :smo :smo :smo :smo
    edited August 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Duffel is packed!
    Gear is ready!
    Batteries charged!

:smo :smo :smo :smo :smo :smo

Woot!

Anyone else staying a few days extra? I booked a few extra days at the BW Creekside but their rates are hella expensive. Right now I have a room with a king but if someone else is staying longer I could see if I could get a room with 2 beds and split the bill. Right now my plans are to stay through Monday night.

Tried to find a room in Lee Vining the night before but no luck there at all. Can't decide if I want to try and find something in Mammoth... driving to Mammoth from the Bay Area and then backtracking 40 miles to shoot Mono Lake in the morning... headscratch.gif
  • cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    How was this trip?
    Hi - Is there another thread somewhere that tells how this trip went and where I can see some of the photos?

Thanks!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    cpagility wrote:
    Hi - Is there another thread somewhere that tells how this trip went and where I can see some of the photos?

Thanks!

Links are in the first post in this thread. deal.gif

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    Thanks for pointing out that the links were on the first page - I had missed that.

Hopefully others from the trip will toss some up too.

For any wondering it was really a great time - I'd highly recommend a trip with these folks to anyone interested.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    SteveF wrote:
    Thanks for pointing out that the links were on the first page - I had missed that.

Hopefully others from the trip will toss some up too.

For any wondering it was really a great time - I'd highly recommend a trip with these folks to anyone interested.

Yes! And if we're missing any, please email me, and I'll add them in. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops