Lindsey .....part two

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 26, 2009 in People
We were able to get what she wanted yesterday afternoon. I am glad to be done editing.

C&C is always welcome.

1-
265744939_2dWae-L.jpg

2-
265740877_nuYiM-L.jpg

3-
265739713_TnTWC-L.jpg

4-
265742445_xn7u3-L.jpg

5-
265738154_uMBoT-L.jpg

6-
265735246_fDeoy-L.jpg

7-
265734197_TPS42-L.jpg

8- Breaking all those silly rules!!!

265736767_rvDdj-L.jpg

9-
265746450_Dabhp-L.jpg

10-
265747941_eefQK-L.jpg

11- She indulged me with this shot. It was an experiment that I wanted to do. I think I left it too contrasty, but it has potential.

265745121_sT4jq-L.jpg

12- ...and my absolute favorite of the afternoon....

NO...I didn't soften anything here. Only selective sharpening via layers and a mask.

265733975_sAH8c-L.jpg

I am adding this one from our first shoot. I took one very similar of my own daughter and she liked it sooo much she wanted to be sure and get one of her own.

265729050_dzK5b-L.jpg

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    # 3, 4, 8 bowdown.gif Wow!

These are just awesome!!!! I have a LOT to learn!

Just gorgeous.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    # 3, 4, 8 bowdown.gif Wow!

These are just awesome!!!! I have a LOT to learn!

Just gorgeous.

You are just being kind. We all know that you are as creative as they come.

...and...I'm sure we all have things to learn...I do for sure.
    edited March 14, 2008
    This is more what I was going for with this shot....

265787746_zevPx-L.jpg
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Awesome stuff again!!! Very inspiring.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Awesome! #1, #4, and #9 are my faves. thumb.gif

I love the sepia/desaturated version of 11 you posted. clap.gif Looks like a few of the highlights might have blown with the contrast, though (hair, shorts, and shirt).

Incredible set. Thank you for sharing!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    composition in 9 is just great
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    ugh I can't wait for spring to be done and over with and I can actually get out and shoot on location...

I love these photos !
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    2, 3, 6, 8 (because I enjoy breaking the rules, too! mwink.gif), 11, 12 and 13.

Her friends will be talking about these pictures for years! Fantastic photos, Jeffreaux! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    3, 4, 6, 8, 9 and the redo of 11.

I can't tell which I like more 3 or 9.
    #3 I love how she blends in/matches the background.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited March 15, 2008
    DavidS vbmenu_register("postmenu_778095", true);
    Major grins

image.php?u=7976&dateline=1149303537

Awesome stuff again!!! Very inspiring.

www.davidsnookphotography.com

www.davidsnookphotography.com/blog

Thanks for commenting David!

Llywellyn vbmenu_register("postmenu_778111", true);
    Tempermental Irishwoman

image.php?u=8644&dateline=1201031960

Awesome! #1, #4, and #9 are my faves. thumb.gif

I love the sepia/desaturated version of 11 you posted. clap.gif Looks like a few of the highlights might have blown with the contrast, though (hair, shorts, and shirt).

Incredible set. Thank you for sharing!

- Black Cat Photography
    - Word of the Day Photo Project

I'm special? Like...stop-eating-the-paste special?
    :food

I'm glad you like #1. I have mixed feelings about it. I like the pose and light, but I don't think it is in the right setting. It is something I have been wanting to try though and at least now I know that my camera can handle the dynamic range of a shot such as this. If I have a chance/time, I may try to set a shot like this up on Sunday....as I will be doing another afternoon shoot. #9(and 6 &10) are the primary reason we went back....to get a few along that path. THe rest of these are really just lagniappe!!

With the conversion of 11....it is a look that I am after. This is getting pretty close, but not quite yet. I like the look of the holga and lomo film cameras!:D
    Qarik vbmenu_register("postmenu_778170", true);
    Big grins

composition in 9 is just great
    user_offline.gifreport.gif

Laughing.gif.....she wondered why the camera wasn't pointed at her. As I explained to her..."I am taking a photo of the background....you...just happen to be part of it".

Thanks for commenting and welcome to DGRIN!!!
    tonichelle vbmenu_register("postmenu_778186", true);
    Alaskan Magic

image.php?u=29312&dateline=1202620098

im_aim.gif im_msn.gif im_yahoo.gif

ugh I can't wait for spring to be done and over with and I can actually get out and shoot on location...

I love these photos !

Aw come on now!!!:D ....photogmomma got some beautiful engagement shots in the driving snow!!!

Thanks for commenting, and welcome to DGRIN.
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    super shots #9 would be my favorite
    edited March 15, 2008
    eL eSs Vee vbmenu_register("postmenu_778196", true);
    Beside himself.

image.php?u=32656&dateline=1204099300

2, 3, 6, 8 (because I enjoy breaking the rules, too! mwink.gif), 11, 12 and 13.

Her friends will be talking about these pictures for years! Fantastic photos, Jeffreaux! thumb.gifthumb.gif

"The camera never lies, but the photographer, hair stylist and make-up artist can certainly bend the truth!"
    user_offline.gifreport.gif

I like #2 well. It and #7 both include her graduation ring which I thought would be a nice touch.

#13 as I said was my favorite. The angle is good for her. I started to clone out the flyaways, but....decided that I would leave them. She was fighting the wind to keep her hair out of her face, and had just about succeeded when I snapped the shutter.

Thank you for having a look and commenting!!

evoryware vbmenu_register("postmenu_778244", true);
    Major grins

image.php?u=11190&dateline=1178147468

3, 4, 6, 8, 9 and the redo of 11.

I can't tell which I like more 3 or 9.
    #3 I love how she blends in/matches the background.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com

Thanks for taking a look. #9 was a battle between sun and flash. I am satisfied with the flash balance. I don't see how I could improve it without using off camera flash. IN that case, having the flash located higher would certainly improved it. It is a pretty nice shot though. Thanks.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I like #2,4,7,9 the best! clap.gif

Have a GREAT weekend.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I like them all again Jeff. Inspiring to see your work and encouraging! Lovely processing, poses, lights and looks. Beautiful work.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Really nice work!! I'd have to say #9 and #12 are my favorites.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Alright .... I need to move .... we had a snow/rain storm, I'm done with the winter :cry

Those shots are GREAT!! Very beautiful!! If I may only comment on #11, love the shot (and don't think it has too much contrast), but it looks like she has a halo around her head (?) and #7 looks a bit too forced.

But honestly, I would be happy with just one of those shots clap.gif
  • TunaTuna Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I was mildly upset when I saw the last one on the train tracks. My first thought was "This is a blatant copy of somebody else's photo!" and then went back to see who the OP of this thread was and realized it was you. I wasn't quite so upset anymore. I remember clearly the shoot with your daughter still. Some nice shots in that set. I gotta say, I like the original with your daughter better than this one for some reason. I think it had a slightly more playful look to it.

Anyway, some excellent shots in this set as well. thumb.gif
    edited March 16, 2008
    beetle8 vbmenu_register("postmenu_778320", true);
    Custom title

image.php?u=27054&dateline=1205292032

super shots #9 would be my favorite
    www.championphotollc.com

Thanks beetle,

I am beginning to see a trend here. I wonder is it the azaleas in bloom, or the composition in general.

Photosbychuck vbmenu_register("postmenu_778333", true);
    Marshall, NC

image.php?u=1240&dateline=1109735784

im_yahoo.gif

I like #2,4,7,9 the best! clap.gif

Have a GREAT weekend.

Take Care,
    Chuck,

Thanks for commenting Chuck. I am glad you like #2. It was super sharp right out of the camera. This may be the first person I have ever photographed up close like that who needed zero skin fixes.

Swartzy vbmenu_register("postmenu_778342", true);
    Stopped down for a shot

image.php?u=10294&dateline=1195692210

I like them all again Jeff. Inspiring to see your work and encouraging! Lovely processing, poses, lights and looks. Beautiful work.

http://daveswartzphotography.com

Thanks Swartzy!!!
    I am not sure about the inspiring part, but these ought to be very encouraging to everyone. Surely, if I can produce a decent photograph, then anyone can!! The light wasn't as nice as our morning shoot, but it was definately workable. I have another senior shoot this afternoon, and I am hoping things will go this well. Thanks for commenting.

grimace vbmenu_register("postmenu_778386", true);
    Twin Cities, Minnesota

image.php?u=3042&dateline=1133155882

im_aim.gif

Really nice work!! I'd have to say #9 and #12 are my favorites.

www.adamstravelphotography.com

I appreciate the kind words. But....what about your avitar?.....Now THAT'S a piece of work!!!!thumb.gif
    edited March 16, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Alright .... I need to move .... we had a snow/rain storm, I'm done with the winter :cry

WEll, we do have foul weather here as well. As soon as spring is over, hurricane season begins!!!
    Those shots are GREAT!! Very beautiful!! If I may only comment on #11, love the shot (and don't think it has too much contrast), but it looks like she has a halo around her head (?) and #7 looks a bit too forced.

Good eye on 11. What you see is me coloring (so-to speak) outside the lines. I shot it at to small of an aperature. I should have thinned the DOF more in camera. Her eyes are unusually sensitive for brown eyes, and she had been having trouble keeping them open while looking up at me as the sky was very bright and clear. Anyway, I got hung up trying to catch her eyes open and did not realize that I wasn't shallow enough. In PS, I tried to mimic a shallow DOF....and did a poor job. I think it is better in the BW version, but still not quite there. It's a look I am going for that I still haven't been satisfied with just yet. I did get pretty close last night on a third attempt with this photo. Anyway, you caught me faking DOF!!!....which never ever looks as good as if it is done in camera.

#7 does look a tad awkward. I need to go look at a ton of photos with hands under chins to see what looks good and what doesn't. I don't particularly like hands in headshots, but was trying to find a way to include her graduation ring.

Thank you for your detailed comments.
    But honestly, I would be happy with just one of those shots clap.gif[/quote]
    edited March 16, 2008
    Tuna wrote:
    I was mildly upset when I saw the last one on the train tracks. My first thought was "This is a blatant copy of somebody else's photo!" and then went back to see who the OP of this thread was and realized it was you. I wasn't quite so upset anymore. I remember clearly the shoot with your daughter still. Some nice shots in that set. I gotta say, I like the original with your daughter better than this one for some reason. I think it had a slightly more playful look to it.

Anyway, some excellent shots in this set as well. thumb.gif

No...I took both!!!:D

But....

AS for "blatant copy", I would have to disagree to a point even if someone else had posted it. THink about this. How many people take photos of....Horsetail Falls?.....Golden Gate Bridge?.....I could go on and on. Any number of these are bound to eventually appear similar. If I were doing advertising work, or stock work, I might feel differently...but as it is I would be flattered if someone else liked one of my compositions enough to try it themselves. Even you have noticed that...although I was standing in nearly the exact spot where I took my daughters photo, this one is much different.....and I took them both. We are all here to learn. We all learn and borrow from each other. Most of what I have picked up on posing was learned here either from crtique, or viewing good examples. An exact replica is one thing....liking something and trying to do a similar set up is a different thing altogether.

I'd be ok with it.

Here are both shots...

The one on the left is Lindsey. On the right is my daughter, Tina. One has more straight forward processing while the other got a slightly retro treatment. This comparison shows how different the two shots really are.

265729050_dzK5b-S-1.jpg239853400_oeC3A-S-3.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Ahh...more stunners, Jeff! Even more variety in this set! clap.gif She must be completely thrilled! These should get you a ton of business. Love your poses, backgrounds, light and processing. It's too hard to chose a favorite. So VERY well done! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Jeff,

The backgrounds here are wonderful; I love how they provide a setting and variety without ever distracting from the model. I particularly liked #4, 6 and 8. Any tips for getting shots like yours?

Thanks for sharing.
    edited March 16, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Ahh...more stunners, Jeff! Even more variety in this set! clap.gif She must be completely thrilled! These should get you a ton of business. Love your poses, backgrounds, light and processing. It's too hard to chose a favorite. So VERY well done! clap.gif

Thanks Elaine. I am not sure I really want a TON of business. Someone asked me last night how the photography was going. I told her that I would be happy to do a shoot per week. I am doing a little more than that right now. The last thing I want at this point is for it to turn into work. I am chrging batteries right this minute for another session this afternoon. I don't know this young lady, so it will be interestring to see how well it goes....or not!!

Thanks for the encouragment!!
    edited March 16, 2008
    sit wrote:
    Jeff,

The backgrounds here are wonderful; I love how they provide a setting and variety without ever distracting from the model. I particularly liked #4, 6 and 8. Any tips for getting shots like yours?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Sit, and welcome to DGRIN.

Visually, the background is as important as the subject. Using it to your advantage, and not disadvantage can be a trick sometimes. It is not neccessary that a BG always be out of focus either....but in that case just try to be sure that it leads your eye or compliments the subject. I am lucky to be able to photograph people acceptably. My attempts at landscapes and still life usually fall somewhere well below outstanding.

I do have a few tips in the link below my signature!!!

Thanks for commenting.
    edited March 16, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Aw come on now!!!:D ....photogmomma got some beautiful engagement shots in the driving snow!!!

Thanks for commenting, and welcome to DGRIN.

thanks for the welcome :)

Right now I'm in Alaska Spring - also known as breakup

there's nothing pretty about it... the trees look diseased, the snow is rotting and brown from mud and dirt

and no one wants to stand in slush rolleyes1.gif Believe me, I've tried to get people to humor me and brave the AK Spring!
    edited March 17, 2008
    tonichelle wrote:
    thanks for the welcome :)

Right now I'm in Alaska Spring - also known as breakup

there's nothing pretty about it... the trees look diseased, the snow is rotting and brown from mud and dirt

and no one wants to stand in slush rolleyes1.gif Believe me, I've tried to get people to humor me and brave the AK Spring!

Well, for those of us who never get snow except maybe once every three years.......we are jealous!!!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I love the expression and lighting in #1. The hair movement is awesome. The pose just isn't working for me...but I rarely love sitting poses like this, so take that FWIW.

WOW lighting in 2, it looks so natural yet so detailed. Wonderful eye light...she has some amazingly colored eyes.

I think 3 is my favorite setting of the series. I just love the urban outfitters feel of the red painted brick and the black. Perfect pairing of this outfit and scene....just lovin it!!!

Pose and framing really work in 5. Nice!

Might look at the horizon in 6...the tilt doesn't feel right to me.

There's nothing wrong with 7, it just pales in comparison to the others....

The composition really works in 8. Fantastic all around.

I like the lensbaby effect you were going for in 11. Personally I like the color version better, but they're both reeeealy nice. I think the blur could stand to be a little less symmetrical, so that it's not encroaching her head in that halo effect. But that's super picky...it's a fantastic concept and shot. I do wish she was laughing and camera unaware...another one of my weird suggestions you can take or leave! It just seems like such a carefree setting, and it makes me wish she wasn't in a pose...but carefree, exuberant, vulnerable.

Ok enough rambling...these are quite simply (along with the first set of this series) some of the most amazing senior pictures I've ever seen. I sure hope you're getting your market value because you have got to be giving the local competition a run for their money...make sure you're charging accordingly! deal.gif

I'm so excited and impressed with your progress this year....truly amazing. bowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 17, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I love the expression and lighting in #1. The hair movement is awesome. The pose just isn't working for me...but I rarely love sitting poses like this, so take that FWIW.

It was an experiment of sorts, and I don't expect she will like it either. The camera handled the exposure fairly well though, so...if I get an opportunity, I have a shot to use this pose and similar light angles in mind....in a different setting. I may have to wait til I get my 70-200 to pull it off right though. Stay tuned on that :D
    WOW lighting in 2, it looks so natural yet so detailed. Wonderful eye light...she has some amazingly colored eyes.

I was getting good exposures in that spot with no flash. For that one, I used flash set at -3 FEC (minimum) in AV mode. I was at fairly close range....a few feet at most. She has the best skin of anyone I have ever photographed. Zero touch ups on skin. None!!!
    I think 3 is my favorite setting of the series. I just love the urban outfitters feel of the red painted brick and the black. Perfect pairing of this outfit and scene....just lovin it!!!

She was completely uncomfortable blowing kisses to the camera....but one frame worked!
    Pose and framing really work in 5. Nice!

I am about to give up trying to get what I want in and around those columns!!! It is shadowy there and likes to fool focus!!
    .Might look at the horizon in 6...the tilt doesn't feel right to me

It is a tilted shot. If she wants a print, I may add in more tilt to make it look purposeful
    There's nothing wrong with 7, it just pales in comparison to the others....
    Again she was very self concious here.....dunno why......gotta love that skin though.
    The composition really works in 8. Fantastic all around.

I agree!!! I surprised myself here...but her clothing colors worked really well with that building.
    I like the lensbaby effect you were going for in 11. Personally I like the color version better, but they're both reeeealy nice. I think the blur could stand to be a little less symmetrical, so that it's not encroaching her head in that halo effect. But that's super picky...it's a fantastic concept and shot. I do wish she was laughing and camera unaware...another one of my weird suggestions you can take or leave! It just seems like such a carefree setting, and it makes me wish she wasn't in a pose...but carefree, exuberant, vulnerable.

Well, neither of us was carefree after we realized she was getting covered in pollen. yellow stains on hands, feet and....

I am hoping the right person will come along who is willing to go out on that limb, and do a full shoot in clover. I may have to take someone out there for free just to let others see what is possible.
    Ok enough rambling...these are quite simply (along with the first set of this series) some of the most amazing senior pictures I've ever seen. I sure hope you're getting your market value because you have got to be giving the local competition a run for their money...make sure you're charging accordingly! deal.gif

Unfortunately I am not...headscratch.gif

I am of course still portfolio building (and confidence too). I am doing way too many poses for my price, but that is also good practice. I am sticking with my prices til summer. Next years seniors will have to really want it to afford a portfolio like hers. I may do two packages. One with limited poses, and another that is pricier. The local competition is stiff. I am not trying to compete. My goal was to do 10 seniors. I will be very close to that I think. Some of these locations are LOADED with photographers on weekends. I am creating my own niche and reputation. Honestly I would be too busy if I were doing 1 client of any type per week. I feel inundated right now!!!....but thankful to have names written in on my calender too!!!
    I'm so excited and impressed with your progress this year....truly amazing. bowdown.gif
    yeah....
    you and me both. I looked back not long ago at my first DGRIN post. It wasn't a very pretty sight!!!

THanks so much Lynne. You (...and of course others like you) have been a big help in my improvements.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Just looking at these again, Jeff, and it's hard to believe that this is set TWO from a shoot! I mean...you got SO many gorgeous shots. Glad to hear you'll be raising your prices!

BTW...I like your watermark.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited March 17, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well, for those of us who never get snow except maybe once every three years.......we are jealous!!!

I'll send it to you next year, then ;) I wouldn't wish this rotting snow on anyone!