Testing the waters: LPS I Book

2»

Comments

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    A splendid idea. :D
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Could become a great tradition. But - may be worth mentioning in LPS2 that by entering you agree to have images published in such a book.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Could become a great tradition. But - may be worth mentioning in LPS2 that by entering you agree to have images published in such a book.

I was wondering about this, so I looked at the rules for LPS1. In the "fine print" is says:

"Copyright, ownership: entries remain the property of the photographer. Other than for publicity purposes at Dgrin or SmugMug, we don't have any rights to use your photo, period."

So would a published book be considered publicity for Dgrin or SmugMug?

If not, they will need to get permission from each of the photographers whose work they want to include.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:

If not, they will need to get permission from each of the photographers whose work they want to include.

As they did for the Glacier book.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 20, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    So would a published book be considered publicity for Dgrin or SmugMug?

Maybe you're missing the point: the book is for YOU... it would only be sold to YOU, the LPS community. Like gus mentioned, just like Glacier book was only for people who went to the Glacier shootout. It's a souvenir, not a product.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Maybe you're missing the point: the book is for YOU... it would only be sold to YOU, the LPS community. Like gus mentioned, just like Glacier book was only for people who went to the Glacier shootout. It's a souvenir, not a product.

Fantastic Idea, and if there were a way for it to be sold outside of the LPS community perhaps the proceeds could be set up to go towards a charity that we all could agree on or maybe even several if there was enough to go around. Either way it's a great idea.

Joe
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    I'd buy a copy, there are so many wonderful shots it would be great to have a hard copy of them all in one book, maybe those whose photo's are used could add a little comment to accompany their image.

Charlie
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    TPBinKC wrote:
    I think we need a 3 volume set.

Volume 1 - photos
    Volume 2 - To Photoshop or to not Photoshop (Is it real or ....)
    Volume 3 - What Judging!! (All the "suggestion" for future and past improvement)

:D

You forgot

Volume 4: The world according to Andy & Erik

lol3.gif
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    You forgot

Volume 4: The world according to Andy & Erik

lol3.gif

I thought you guys got the last chapter in each book.

ne_nau.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    TPBinKC wrote:
    I thought you guys got the last chapter in each book.

ne_nau.gif

Nah, just the final word. :giggle
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    I would certainly buy the book, it would be a marvelous souvenir.

Jean-Yves
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    I'm in for a book or two.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    I'm game!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Hi all,

I'm really pleased with the response this idea got in this thread and beyond. You guys can always be counted on for great enthusiasm and discussion! ::D

At the end of the day, though, there have been enough folks who want to opt out, which makes this project unfeasible.

All the same, thank you for all of your input and ideas! Keep the awesome shots (and great laughs) coming. thumb.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I was going to say that I'd happily contribute some of my entries to the project (I figure you probably don't want them all). That said, a book about the competition with some significant omissions would be something of an odd beast and I can certainly see that getting all the premissions required to create a comprehensive book would be next to impossible.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    At the end of the day, though, there have been enough folks who want to opt out, which makes this project unfeasible.

:cry:cry:cry
    ~ Lisa
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    At least our mods have been quite organized and contained all the links to entries, winners, etc. in one spot, and I'm sure that will be around for a long time to come. It was a good idea, but I can understand some opting out. I have a couple entries that I'd be embarassed to see in a book.

edit: make that a few entries!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Oh well, you can but try ne_nau.gif

Charlie