Options

Square Thumbs Thread!

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
EDIT: Apr 9, 2008: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=90407 new thread :)

Today we announced a cool new feature, square thumbs.

267128916_j4DGN-M-0.jpg

Square thumbs give your gallery a clean look by automatically choosing a square portion of your image to be the representative thumbnail. This does not affect your original images and you can always switch back. Or, you can zoom the thumbs yourself, if you prefer.

Square thumbs will not take effect until you do something that generates new display copies like rotating or watermarking, or adding new photos. To apply square thumbs to an entire existing gallery, or to unsquare thumbs, use a 'bulk'tool such as 'rotate photos' or, if you are a pro, watermarking.

Square thumbs is the default for new galleries, so if you don't want 'em, be sure to uncheck the button for it in gallery customizing before uploading! Quick Settings to the rescue.

[imgl]http://cdn.smugmug.com/img/help/store-photos-online-4.jpg[/imgl]
Questions? Ask 'em here :ear

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Huray! Great feature! clap.gif
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    does that mean my wish came true? I can remove all the BZT code from Dev? No wonder he had no time for my trivial return to thumbs JS code....
    I assume all hail should go to Dev since he created BZT in the 1st place... cortrect me if I'm wrong and I'll hail all the others toowings.gifbarbwings.gifbarb
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    I assume all hail should go to Dev since he created BZT in the 1st place... correct me if I'm wrong and I'll hail all the others toowings.gifbarbwings.gifbarb

For this one, you should give props to Onethumb clap.gif
  • Options
    RonD200RonD200 Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Popular Photos - Square Thumbs
    Great Feature, is there a way to get Square Thumbs in the Popular Photo Gallery?
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    This is not working for me headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    This is not working for me headscratch.gif
    What does this mean, please elaborate, spare no detail so we can help thumb.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    RonD200 wrote:
    Great Feature, is there a way to get Square Thumbs in the Popular Photo Gallery?
    The popular gallery gets it's thumb from wherever the originating photo is. You
    will have to square up all the photos in all those galleries.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    glasbergenglasbergen Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Won't rotating reset the popular photo counter?
    Allen wrote:
    The popular gallery gets it's thumb from wherever the originating photo is. You will have to square up all the photos in all those galleries.

Won't rotating (or whatever other method) all those pictures reset their popular photo counter? I don't think there will be any popular photos left after generating square thumbs. Am I wrong? :uhoh

EDIT: Allen? Anyone? I'd really like to know...
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    So does this mean that once they are squared, there is no going back to regular?

Why not make this optional rather than the default?

I uploaded a gallery before I learned this new bug, so do I have relaod all these photos to get them right?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    So does this mean that once they are squared, there is no going back to regular?
    Hi, please read my post above, again. "You can always go back" :) ^^^

Why not make this optional rather than the default?
    It is optional. It's On by default but you can just turn it off, and simply use a quick setting when making your gallery. That's about a 20 second proposition, one-time. Then a fraction of a second when you create your new gallery. If you need help with quick settings, let us know. Again, I put that info already in post #1 of this thread, please, please, please read it :)
    I uploaded a gallery befoe I learned this new bug, so do I have relaod all these photos to get them right?
    No. As I wrote above, in post #1, you can use a bulk tool and undo them. Rotate left/right or watermark will undo them.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    It is optional. It's On by default but you can just turn it off, and simply use a quick setting when making your gallery. That's about a 20 second proposition, one-time. Then a fraction of a second when you create your new gallery. If you need help with quick settings, let us know. Again, I put that info already in post #1 of this thread, please, please, please read it :)

Oh yeah, I read it - but understanding it is another proposition!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Oh yeah, I read it - but understanding it is another proposition!
    Please let us know if you need help setting a quick setting, thanks!
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Very nice - like having this option available to me - more is alwasy better :)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    poleinajeeppoleinajeep Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I think it looks awesome myself! I just need to go around and activate it in all the galleries...
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    suh-weet feature! Thank you!

Two questions come to mind...
    1.) Is there any way to bulk set your entire website at once?
    2.) I doubt the answer is yes, but on certain photos where the actual subject is well off-center, is there any way to select what section of the photo will become the thumb?

Again, great job on this...

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    poleinajeeppoleinajeep Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    sskoutas wrote:
    suh-weet feature! Thank you!

Two questions come to mind...
    1.) Is there any way to bulk set your entire website at once?
    2.) I doubt the answer is yes, but on certain photos where the actual subject is well off-center, is there any way to select what section of the photo will become the thumb?

Again, great job on this...

For the photos that end up off center, I believe the zoom thumbnail feature will let you choose what section to zoom to.

As far as enabling this on the entire site? IDK, but that would help me out...
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    For the photos that end up off center, I believe the zoom thumbnail feature will let you choose what section to zoom to...

You're right. It works, and it works well. I never even knew about this function! Thank you very much.

Oh, and I will say it again... this is one SWEET addition. The galleries that I have made the change on look fantastic!

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    NougatNougat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Great job on the new square thumbs! It's so much easier than BZT. Thank you!
  • Options
    nocturne1nocturne1 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Isn't it somewhat wasteful of processing cycles for us to have to do/undo a change in order to force the thumbnails to be modified? If we had an option to just convert the gallery, it'd only have to do them once....
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    nocturne1 wrote:
    Isn't it somewhat wasteful of processing cycles for us to have to do/undo a change in order to force the thumbnails to be modified? If we had an option to just convert the gallery, it'd only have to do them once....
    No undo/do needed, just go to watermark under photo tools, select all, make
    sure your latest watermark is in box and hit save. Only one step.

... err, first used SmugBrowser to bulk/update all galleries to Square Thumb "on".
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    No undo/do needed, just go to watermark under photo tools, select all, make
    sure your latest watermark is in box and hit save. Only one step.

... err, first used SmugBrowser to bulk/update all galleries to Square Thumb "on".
    But if you don't use a watermark, you have to add/remove it....

Unless we are able to have a blank watermark?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    nocturne1 wrote:
    But if you don't use a watermark, you have to add/remove it....

Unless we are able to have a blank watermark?
    That's my next thing to do here. No WM's in my family galleries so I'll select delete
    for the watermark even though there isn't one to start with.:D Hope that works.

Edit: It works, just check remove and the square thumbs are generated.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    That's my next thing to do here. No WM's in my family galleries so I'll select delete
    for the watermark even though there isn't one to start with.:D Hope that works.

Edit: It works, just check remove and the square thumbs are generated.
    Brilliant! Way better than having to add, wait, and then remove 'em all clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Won't rotating reset the popular photo counter?
    Allen wrote:
    The popular gallery gets it's thumb from wherever the originating photo is. You
    will have to square up all the photos in all those galleries.

Second try...

Won't rotating (or whatever other method) all those pictures reset their popular photo counter? I don't think there will be any popular photos left after generating square thumbs. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    glasbergen wrote:
    Second try...

Won't rotating (or whatever other method) all those pictures reset their popular photo counter? I don't think there will be any popular photos left after generating square thumbs. Am I wrong?
    Rotating doesn't re-set popular. Replace does.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Rotating doesn't re-set popular. Replace does.

Thanks much, Andy! thumb.gif
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Square thumbs will not take effect until you do something that generates new display copies like rotating or watermarking, or adding new photos. To apply square thumbs to an entire existing gallery, use a 'bulk'tool such as 'rotate photos' or, if you are a pro, watermarking.

I realize I'm a little late to the discussion, but any chance of getting a tool like "SmugMungous" for generating the new display copies with the square format thumbs? I seem to remember when the SmugMungous sizes were made available the same 'bulk' tools method was the initial way to generate the larger sizes, but a few days later a bulk tool specifically to generate the new 'SmugMungous' sizes came along. I did a quick test on a gallery that I hadn't made 'SmugMungous' yet, and setting the square option to On, and running the 'SmugMungous' tool on the gallery generated the square thumbnails, so it seems that SmugMungous tool itself would work for this purpose, if it did not check to see that the gallery has already had the 'SmugMungous' size images created. As it is newer galleries that have had the 'SmugMungous' size images already created do not allow for the 'SmugMungous' tool to be run on them.
    --Travis
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Foochar wrote:
    I realize I'm a little late to the discussion, but any chance of getting a tool like "SmugMungous" for generating the new display copies with the square format thumbs? I seem to remember when the SmugMungous sizes were made available the same 'bulk' tools method was the initial way to generate the larger sizes, but a few days later a bulk tool specifically to generate the new 'SmugMungous' sizes came along. I did a quick test on a gallery that I hadn't made 'SmugMungous' yet, and setting the square option to On, and running the 'SmugMungous' tool on the gallery generated the square thumbnails, so it seems that SmugMungous tool itself would work for this purpose, if it did not check to see that the gallery has already had the 'SmugMungous' size images created. As it is newer galleries that have had the 'SmugMungous' size images already created do not allow for the 'SmugMungous' tool to be run on them.
    It's a great idea, I'll make sure the team sees it :)
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's a great idea, I'll make sure the team sees it :)

If they're going to do that, it should work in both directions. GS
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Will BZT continue to be supported or is this dead now?

The key advantage of this tool was you were able to position the square thumbnail crop to get the best looking thumbnail. With the new automatic square thumbnails it automatically uses the middle of the image and this does not always look the best?

For me personally, the best idea would have been to place the BZT code on the server to avoid everybody adding it to their custom sites and having this as an additional gallery option.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
This discussion has been closed.