Options

Heads Up: Paper Switch from Fuji to Kodak

124»

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Too cool...now when will we be offering packages? I still need packages. But I can wait...I know...one thing at a time. wings.gif
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Any idea how soon?
    I just received and email from a client tonight that is looking for a 4'x6' maybe larger print. This might be worth offering....if its available.
    If not any other suggestions? I have a friend that works for Kodak and can possibly print wall size prints, but I have yet to discuss it with him.

Thanks
    Michael

Andy wrote:
    Yes, that portion is gone already. Looks like this:

20080410-pmytk3cf4j7ti7huskrtcgtsib.jpg

but it's not on the live site yet - will be soon thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I just received and email from a client tonight that is looking for a 4'x6' maybe larger print. This might be worth offering....if its available.
    If not any other suggestions? I have a friend that works for Kodak and can possibly print wall size prints, but I have yet to discuss it with him.

Thanks
    Michael
    I'm sorry, not quite following - how soon, what?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    According to the fotoflot product page, they offer sizes ranging from 7.5" x 10" to 15" x 30". Does your 4' x 6' print need to be in one piece? Might be interesting to create a mosaic of prints.

--- Denise
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Fotoflot
    Sorry Andy, I was talking about the fotoflot product, but Denise answered my question as they do not offer large enough print sizes.

Denise,
    I think safety of shipping, a mosaic would be the safest and best way to try and do a print this large. As I mentioned I know someone that works at Kodak and has a large printer in his basement - he has already printed a 4x6 mosaic and it looked Fantastic. I think once I get confirmation of the print being ordered I will probably talk to him about getting a quote.

Thanks,
    Michael

According to the fotoflot product page, they offer sizes ranging from 7.5" x 10" to 15" x 30". Does your 4' x 6' print need to be in one piece? Might be interesting to create a mosaic of prints.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    Sorry Andy, I was talking about the fotoflot product, but Denise answered my question as they do not offer large enough print sizes.

Denise,
    I think safety of shipping, a mosaic would be the safest and best way to try and do a print this large. As I mentioned I know someone that works at Kodak and has a large printer in his basement - he has already printed a 4x6 mosaic and it looked Fantastic. I think once I get confirmation of the print being ordered I will probably talk to him about getting a quote.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Oh - ha - 4feet by 6feet - My bad, didn't read carefully - so, I recommend very much, www.bigposters.com - they go big very well thumb.gif
  • Options
    Mike KalcevicMike Kalcevic Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    This is what I'm seeing with the new ICC for the Kodak paper (on the right). Notice the heavier saturation in the wood, and her lips. How would I go about correcting this? Prior to the paper switch, I only had to do a minor adjustment to the contrast, so I'm a little lost now...

http://MEKPhotography.smugmug.com/photos/274579582_HWDhS-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    This is what I'm seeing with the new ICC for the Kodak paper (on the right). Notice the heavier saturation in the wood, and her lips. How would I go about correcting this? Prior to the paper switch, I only had to do a minor adjustment to the contrast, so I'm a little lost now...

http://MEKPhotography.smugmug.com/photos/274579582_HWDhS-X3.jpg
    Shoot me an email to our help desk, ATTN: Andy in the subject - with a link to this photo so I can look this weekend and get back to you okay?
  • Options
    Mike KalcevicMike Kalcevic Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Shoot me an email to our help desk, ATTN: Andy in the subject - with a link to this photo so I can look this weekend and get back to you okay?

Just sent it. Thanks Andy! Please, let me know what you find out.

Mike.
  • Options
    coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    any reason that the 'Pro' watermark is only offered on the Lustre paper? Makes me only want to offer lustre to my customers.

any thoughts greatly appreciated
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    coleygm wrote:
    any reason that the 'Pro' watermark is only offered on the Lustre paper? Makes me only want to offer lustre to my customers.

any thoughts greatly appreciated
    It's just the way Kodak makes it. You can add your backprinting, as a pro, to all papers:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-backprinting
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Did EZ switch from Fuji to Kodak? A lab their size can generally only handle one company paper...per the paper company :-)

Or, did you switch labs?
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Did EZ switch from Fuji to Kodak? A lab their size can generally only handle one company paper...per the paper company :-)

Or, did you switch labs?
    Hi David, read post #1 here in this thread - it's EZPrints our lab, they switched thumb.gif
  • Options
    Red71SharkRed71Shark Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2008
    I like the skin tones with the new paper. (Which has been a lifelong quest of mine lately...)

Hi Andy - it's Jim Strathearn here. I tried some gloss people prints and was quite satisfied with them. If I can get consistently good results, I'm in! ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Red71Shark wrote:
    I like the skin tones with the new paper. (Which has been a lifelong quest of mine lately...)

Hi Andy - it's Jim Strathearn here. I tried some gloss people prints and was quite satisfied with them. If I can get consistently good results, I'm in! ;-)

w00p wings.gif

wave.gif hiya Jim
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I just received my first order from the "new" paper this week. They're fantastic!! I'm quite happy with the results. Thanks SmugMug and EZPrints! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    A solid bump for the newbie.

The decision is based on cost.

Period.

But most of you and your customers and my customers and I will be dead when fading becomes an issue for silver prints. Have you proved to yourself that prints made on different brand papers are better after 100 years framed up or stored dark?

As for color, I still understand that SM will reprint/refund for prints that don't meet your quality standards. So using a cheaper product and getting acceptable results is a bad thing?

Seems reasonable.

Labs like EZ are fulfilling for a whole lot of people. I thik Fotki and DotPhoto are fulfilling there nowadays as are hundreds of other smaller companies.

I wonder if SM is doing regular quality control against EZ and other labs. You basically have a set of test images that you send to the labs on a regular basis and you compare them against the other labs and then again compare them against their prior work to look for issues of consistency. It was a fun, weekly activity at a lab I worked at once upon a time.

stan.k wrote:
    Mpix/Millers, and WHCC are amongst the worst national labs when it comes to good color. Trust me. They may be very popular, but that's only because most folks have no CLUE what it takes to get good, and accurate color. So PLEASE do NOT compare to those labs. There are some good labs out there that have great color with Kodak paper, but Mpix/Millers and WHCC are not one of them. Saying that a paper must be good if big labs like Millers and WHCC use them and they're such popular labs.. well thats like saying that burgers from McDonalds must be the best because they're the most popular restaurant... know what i mean?

I've personally always preferred Fuji paper, but not because of the color. I prefer them because their paper lasts longer. Its a proven fact.

As far as getting good color, the Kodak paper vs. Fuji paper makes little to no difference. Both papers are more than capable of getting great color. What matters is how you print it, how you profile the paper, and keeping the printing equipment profiled correctly and calibrated correctly. There are labs out there like Burrell who use Kodak paper and do a fantastic job of profiling it and get excellent, top notch color. There are other labs out there that have an absolute terrible profile that results in much less color saturation and terrible reds and yellows (Millers and WHCC are a prime example). I've not tested EZprints myself, but i really should. Though I have a feeling I won't like what I see.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Should I or anyone update this with the info that Fuji bought Kodak's paper and fulfillment business? And that it happened a few months ago?

So 'Kodak' paper is really 'Fuji' paper. Kodak's manufacturing facilities for print and print related products are Fuji's.

This leaves major silver-based paper manufacturing to Fuji, Konica, and some Chinese firms. Don't know about the old Ilford folks however.

Cheers,
    David