Holga

oldhippiechickoldhippiechick Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 5, 2008 in Cameras
I just got a new Holga 120N. I have been wanting one of these babies for years. I understand that they are so much fun. Will post photos when I learn how to use it -- or can afford to have the film processed -- which ever comes first. I'm so excited.:clap
... the love you take is equal to the love you make -- P. McCartney

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 26, 2008
    I just got a new Holga 120N. I have been wanting one of these babies for years. I understand that they are so much fun. Will post photos when I learn how to use it -- or can afford to have the film processed -- which ever comes first. I'm so excited.clap.gif

Congratulations! Do watch for light leaks around the door. Some folks tape the back door seal to try and eliminate the problem. Others embrace the problem as an "effect" of the Holga.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • oldhippiechickoldhippiechick Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy. Yes, I'm very anxious to use it. I found a video on YouTube that shows you how to load the film and what holes to cover up with black tape. I think I will try both ways -- sealed and unsealed.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    thumb.gif
    Congrats on your new holga! And I applaud your dedication to use real film in a digital world.

I'm a big Holga/Diana/Lubitel/Lomo fan.

My kudos to you are primarily based on the fact that I'm a Holga "poser".
    Photoshopped "holga's" from a Nikon Dslr. . . Link to my gallery

Only a mere representation of the "real thing"
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited March 27, 2008
    Great photos. You said these are not really from a Holga? Wow!!! I've never used it before, but I love the look and its cheap -- well, except for the processing.
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    I'm really looking forward seeing some pictures, get shooting!

Charlie
    edited March 27, 2008
    thumb.gif
    Congrats on your new holga! And I applaud your dedication to use real film in a digital world.

I'm a big Holga/Diana/Lubitel/Lomo fan.

My kudos to you are primarily based on the fact that I'm a Holga "poser".
    Photoshopped "holga's" from a Nikon Dslr. . . Link to my gallery

Only a mere representation of the "real thing"

Hey John, they're really good, care to share your method? I seem to spend most of my time degrading my digital images these days, I'd love to try that effect.

Charlie
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations! Do watch for light leaks around the door. Some folks tape the back door seal to try and eliminate the problem. Others embrace the problem as an "effect" of the Holga.

Problem? PROBLEM?! It's a FEATURE! :D Heck, even better when the stupid thing falls off altogether...like mine did on Easter...rolleyes1.gif...The light leaks are part of the charm of the POS.

Anyway, congrats on the new toy. It will be lots of fun.

There's really nothing to it, point at your subject & push the shutter. There is no shutter speed, aperture, or ISO setting. You are at about f11 & about 1/100. ISO is whatever film's in it (ISO 400 recommended). You can switch from the sunny to cloudy setting, but it doesn't really do much. Focusing is the very high-tech guess-focus. :D It really is a P&S in the most literal sense.
    edited March 27, 2008
    For inspiration, take a look at www.marktucker.com he has some truly extraordinary images. I wonder if a Lensbaby might give some sort of similar effect?

Charlie
    edited March 27, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    For inspiration, take a look at www.marktucker.com he has some truly extraordinary images. I wonder if a Lensbaby might give some sort of similar effect?

Charlie

Wow, really really like Mark Tucker's work

Fake, photoshop Holga's = handy photoshop action I've got. PM me and I'll send to you.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, hippiechick! I'm really looking forward to seeing scans of your real Holga's. Scan some and make sure you post them for all of us to enjoy!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited March 27, 2008
    Thanks. I'm about to load it up. It may be a little while before I can post any photos -- no money right now for processing and since I want to use these for the exhibit I want to have them processed the best I can.

Thanks for all your support everyone. iloveyou.gif
    edited March 28, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

Very cool stuff. No, a Lensbaby won't do the same thing--it's a whole different animal. Check their website for what it does. A Holga's image has it's own feel & all the digital methods to try and recreate it just don't do it for me--nothing like the original. Heck, it's only $20, you've got nothing to lose jsut getting the real thing & it's more fun. Note that Lensbabies are 5x-15x more expensive.
    edited March 28, 2008
    Yep, I did it, been toying (excuse the pun) with the idea for some time, Oldhippiechick led the way and, well now I've ordered one with some flim and can't wait to get out shooting, already have some ideas.

Charlie
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Yep, I did it, been toying (excuse the pun) with the idea for some time, Oldhippiechick led the way and, well now I've ordered one with some flim and can't wait to get out shooting, already have some ideas.

Charlie

Ditto for me! Mine is actually sitting at my back door right now waiting for me to get home. I ordered the starter kit that comes with film because it is very hard to get to the camera store when they are open here (not open sundays which is my most free day).

Anyhow - maybe some day Dgrin will make a special forum for us toy-camera users huh? Only if theres a bunch of us I supose.

thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • jrbechtholdjrbechthold Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2008

Fake, photoshop Holga's = handy photoshop action I've got. PM me and I'll send to you.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, hippiechick! I'm really looking forward to seeing scans of your real Holga's. Scan some and make sure you post them for all of us to enjoy!

I am a holgaphile too... got hooked on a friend's camera but digital is so easy... Now I just recreate in PS.

Can't wait to see the photos hippiechick!
    edited March 29, 2008
    Wow. I feel so honored to have started something here. Can't wait to see everyone Holgas photos. There are a lot of very cool sites devoted to Holga -- it's quite a 'cult' following. Anyone live in NY? Maybe we could go 'a-Holga-ing'.
    mwink.gif
  • omgitsacameraomgitsacamera Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Congrats! Got one myself on Tuesday. I get myself 3 rolls for about 10 bucks, but processing 12 prints is a good 16 bucks...

Have fun with your Holga!
    edited March 29, 2008
    There's a pretty good site at www.squarefrog.co.uk

Charlie
    edited March 29, 2008
    This is a good site. This guy also posts videos on YouTube about how to load your film; preparing your Holga; etc.headscratch.gif

It was very useful.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 29, 2008
    I have several Lubitel twin lens cameras. Think "Holga" body quality but with a sweet lens of suprisingly high quality.

Shutter speeds, aperture settings and an X-sync make it a pretty surprising performer. (... but it does have light leak problems from the rather poor body construction.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 31, 2008
    Saturday's Holga (faked Holga!)

272851449_UFNHk-M.jpg
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited March 31, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

thumb.gif You'll have a ball with it.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have several Lubitel twin lens cameras. Think "Holga" body quality but with a sweet lens of suprisingly high quality.

Shutter speeds, aperture settings and an X-sync make it a pretty surprising performer. (... but it does have light leak problems from the rather poor body construction.)

headscratch.gif Yebbut, that misses half the fun with the single-element meniscus plastic "optical lens" and all it's own quirks. I think that's one of the central attractions of the Holga-look & is hard to reproduce. It's what drives mods like the EOS-Holga (Holga lens mounted to a Canon EOS body cap).
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008

John, I'd like to try your Holga action, too, if you don't mind. I'll PM you.

I love Mark Tucker's work, but I'm wondering if these aren't Lensbaby shots with a Holga processing? There is a definite area of sharpness in them. I'm not too familiar with Holgas, but I thought there was more uniform lack of sharpness (for lack of a better description!). However he achieved them, they are super!

Can't wait to see some of your results Oldhippiechick! thumb.gif
    edited March 31, 2008
    I was wondering the same thing Saurora, here's a gallery of strong images that are definitely from a Holga:-

http://www.photographicimage.co.uk/FRAME%20TWO/other%20photographers/Lee%20Frost/Holga%20Gallery/lee%20frost%20holga%20gallery%20-%20page%20one.htm

Charlie
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Here are a few authentic holga shots I scanned. These were from my first afternoon walking around with my new plastic camera. Totally fun! I haven't really kept at it, however. So many digital pictures get to the front of the line....

27290628_P6WxN-M.jpg

27290658_J8XD8-M.jpg

27290663_RhoRa-M.jpg

27290641_JuWwu-M.jpg

A few more Holga shots in this gallery.

Lensbaby is fun too, but a totally different animal. Here are some Lensbaby photos in this gallery.

cheers!
    Trish
    edited March 31, 2008
    spider-t wrote:

27290658_J8XD8-M.jpg

27290641_JuWwu-M.jpg

great Holgas, Trish

Some "mighty fine" light leaks you have as well as a great vignette!

And your subject matter simply works!
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited April 1, 2008
    Love it, you got a great one with some nice defects. thumb.gif

Mine's almost too good. headscratch.gif Not so much in the way of light leaks, though I am getting some vignetting & the fuzziness.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Love it, you got a great one with some nice defects. thumb.gif

Mine's almost too good. headscratch.gif Not so much in the way of light leaks, though I am getting some vignetting & the fuzziness.

Same with mine. Try shooting into the sun more for some cool lens flair maybe. :D
    ~ Lisa
    edited April 1, 2008
    spider-t wrote:
    A few more Holga shots in this gallery.

Lensbaby is fun too, but a totally different animal. Here are some Lensbaby photos in this gallery.

cheers!
    Trish

I really like those Trish, and your Lensbaby shots, particuarly the birds and the last bridge one are fantastic!

I have a lensbaby on order, any tips?

Charlie
    edited April 2, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Same with mine. Try shooting into the sun more for some cool lens flair maybe. :D

Laughing.gif I just thought, maybe throw the back in the microwave or oven for a short time & "force" some "manufacturing fitment defects." :Deek7.gif
    edited April 2, 2008
    I've just taken my first roll and sent it off for processing, it's a very liberating experience, they'll probably be crap but I really enjoyed taking them.

Haven't taped any possible sources of light leakage up yet, I'll wait and see how the first pics turn out.

Charlie