Supercharge Your Camera with Open-Source CHDK Firmware (Canon Only)

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited March 15, 2009 in Cameras

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    You could physically solid mount 2 dozen JATO's to my VW Golf & then ignite them.

Im quite sure it would still operate with somewhat new vigor........................all be it for 3 seconds.

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    You could physically solid mount 2 dozen JATO's to my VW Golf & then ignite them.

Im quite sure it would still operate with somewhat new vigor........................all be it for 3 seconds.

At numbers like those, it's about the ride, not the endurance..
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I looked at the list of "compatible" cameras and, unless I miss my guess, I think all the cameras indicated have electronic shutters rather than mechanical. That is to say, I didn't see any DSLR cameras in the group. That being the case, I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of a camera meltdown.

But, I could be wrong - in which case ...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 4, 2008
    I looked at the list of "compatible" cameras and, unless I miss my guess, I think all the cameras indicated have electronic shutters rather than mechanical. That is to say, I didn't see any DSLR cameras in the group. That being the case, I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of a camera meltdown.

But, I could be wrong - in which case ...

That sounds right to me. I can't think of a way firmware could overcome the mechanical limits of the shutter.
    edited April 4, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    That sounds right to me. I can't think of a way firmware could overcome the mechanical limits of the shutter.
    That was also my initial thought also... physics is such a cruel mistress !

Just from a quick look though i dont think this applies to anything with a mirror does it.
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    That was also my initial thought also... physics is such a cruel mistress !

Just from a quick look though i dont think this applies to anything with a mirror does it.

Nope, P&S only. Initially DIGIC II cameras, DIGIC III is now supported as well. I've been following this a bit since my little P&S (well, my wife's mostly) is a Canon that recently got support added. It has some nice features available, not just the high speed shutter. It can enable things like live histogram on cameras that don't support it from the factory, as well as RAW shooting. I suppose that it might port to the DSLRs as well, but I doubt that as many features would be enabled.
    edited April 4, 2008
    Not positive here.. But don't almost all the lower end DSLR's use an electronic shutter function to simulate high shutter speed? I'm pretty sure my old D50 didn't Slam open and shut at 1/4000. But I sure took allot of pictures at that shutter speedne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Not positive here.. But don't almost all the lower end DSLR's use an electronic shutter function to simulate high shutter speed? I'm pretty sure my old D50 didn't Slam open and shut at 1/4000. But I sure took allot of pictures at that shutter speedne_nau.gif

Most modern dSLRs use a "slit" approach to shutter speeds beyond the flash sync speeds. If you have an old film slr you can actually see the slit move by opening the back of the camera and actuating the shutter while pointing the camera at a bright light source using a fast shutter speed. More information here:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/tech/fp-shutter.html

PS. I believe that the Nikon D70/D70S and D50 use an electronic shutter which does allow faster flash sync under certain conditions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Read about this a while ago. Picked up an SD450 camera just to load this firmware onto it. I'm really interested to see the RAW photos from the camera, that is my main reason for it.
    ~ Lisa
    edited April 4, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Nope, P&S only. Initially DIGIC II cameras, DIGIC III is now supported as well. I've been following this a bit since my little P&S (well, my wife's mostly) is a Canon that recently got support added. It has some nice features available, not just the high speed shutter. It can enable things like live histogram on cameras that don't support it from the factory, as well as RAW shooting. I suppose that it might port to the DSLRs as well, but I doubt that as many features would be enabled.
    You have not read what i wrote.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Richard wrote:

Simply desync the shutter from the sensor capturing time.
    Thats how digital shutters work too.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 4, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Simply desync the shutter from the sensor capturing time.
    Thats how digital shutters work too.

That might be possible if you design a camera from the ground up with that in mind, but I don't think you can retrofit it. The sensor itself has different circuitry in a digital shutter camera. Here's a short explanation:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/sep_2007.html
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    You have not read what i wrote.

I thought that I was confirming what you said about it not working on anything with a mirror. That was my intent anyway. Redundant I suppose. Or maybe I missed something?

Sorry if I'm not adding anything to the discussion.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    I just tried this on my 710IS. Works great! There's definitely not as much leverage in RAW, but at least there's something... and *I* can choose how it's "developed" instead of the camera.

There's nothing written to the firmware, so there's no risk of permanent damage. It uses a little bit of memory on the card.

There's another writeup here: http://lifehacker.com/387380/turn-your-point+and+shoot-into-a-super+camera
    Chris
    edited May 7, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I'm bumping this because I don't think anyone clicked on this. Take a look :D good stuff..
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Wow sweet! .. now if only I had a compatible IXUS.
    Any chanches that the G9 will be supported in the future?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 7, 2008
    Just bought the missus a new IXUS 860 IS, so I am going to test this out on the weekend wings.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Hack your P&S
    Info is here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Info is here.
    David, this is awesome! thumb.gifclap.gif
    I wonder is there is similar stuff for dslrs...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    god, I really, really, REALLY wish I understood all this... Id love to hook up my SD850IS but cant find the download for it... I dont even know if it is supported, I thought it was listed in the list of downloads but cant find it... anyone??

Thanks for posting this, I was kinda kicking myself for NOT getting the G9!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited May 9, 2008
    I merged a couple of threads which, I believe, are the same topic.
    ziggy53
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I merged a couple of threads which, I believe, are the same topic.

Thanks, Ziggy! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    zacker wrote:
    god, I really, really, REALLY wish I understood all this... Id love to hook up my SD850IS but cant find the download for it... I dont even know if it is supported, I thought it was listed in the list of downloads but cant find it... anyone??

Thanks for posting this, I was kinda kicking myself for NOT getting the G9!

On the download page you should see this option allbest-ixus950_sd850-100c-50.zip, which I believe is for your SD850. My brother has an SD850 IS, but he's not in the country so I can't try this on his till he gets back next month. I just tried the appropriate one for my SD700 IS and love it.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited May 10, 2008
    wow thanks! i couldnt even find the download page... lol I feel so dumb. ill post back on how this works! thanks again!

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited May 10, 2008
    zacker wrote:
    wow thanks! i couldnt even find the download page... lol I feel so dumb. ill post back on how this works! thanks again!
    Thats alright...ive read it twice & am still trying to work out whats so great about the programme (if thats what its called) headscratch.gif
    edited May 10, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Thats alright...ive read it twice & am still trying to work out whats so great about the programme (if thats what its called) headscratch.gif

It allows you to expose some capabilities of the camera, like RAW capture and "really" fast shutter speeds (yay), and use the processor for other tasks, like games (not so yay).
    ziggy53
    edited May 10, 2008
    well, i installed it and it does work... i just need to sit and mess with it to figure ut exactly how to use half the stuff...lol i was messing with the hi speed shutter but it keeps it a constant like TV mode so you have to access the menu to change it to what ever you want to shoot in. oh well, onto bracketing and raw capture...so far i like it and as an added bonus? its got my favorite game on it..Reversi..AKA Othello!!! lol

• BostonwolfBostonwolf Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2008
    I installed it on my A540, which is not directly supported so I haven't had much luck getting it to work properly.
    edited May 11, 2008
    ok, i can now take RAW photos ..yeahhh! but, i can ope them... Boooo!! cs3 doesnt open them, canons raw program wont either... anyone have this problem?

edited May 11, 2008
    zacker wrote:
    ok, i can now take RAW photos ..yeahhh! but, i can ope them... Boooo!! cs3 doesnt open them, canons raw program wont either... anyone have this problem?

Some people seem to have problems with file transfer using the USB cable. If that's what you are doing, use a card reader instead.

Also, did you convert the files first:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._I.27ve_shot_some_RAW_pictures._How_do_I_process_them.3F
    ziggy53