Racetrack - Death Valley

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited November 1, 2008 in Landscapes
I made a trip laweek to Death Valley to finally visit the Racetrack, I've heard about this place for years and always wanted to have the time to make it out there, it's a rough 30 miles from Ubehebe crater but it is well worth the journey. It has to be one of the most interesting places I've been to in quite some time. I'd love to grab the tent and spend a few days out there.

280260915_xTCdC-M.jpg

A few more from the trip can be found here. http://www.edhughesphoto.com/gallery/4725658_qsDhW#279784043_gF7MZ

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    That place is just surreal. Did you use a 4x4 vehicle to get there?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    That place is just surreal. Did you use a 4x4 vehicle to get there?

Cuong

Yes but it wasn't really needed, just about any car with a bit of clearance could have made it. I talked with another photographer out there that told me the road was much better this year than when he visited last year.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    clap.gif Great Stuff Ed!!

This is one of my all time destinations. I would need to camp though considering it is a little more than a half day drive from Phoenix.

Great stuff in your gallery! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Sweet stuff, Mr. Hughes! thumb.gifclap

But... what is going on with those rocks? Do Death Valley rocks come alive and just... motor around? headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I've always wanted to go to Death Valley, but it was 250 miles out of our when we went to Arizona in November. Nice job, Ed! thumb.gif
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    So in other words Ed, my POS photo excursion car is doomed either way right? I've heard that you can gingerly make your way to the Playa Racetrack with no 4x4 BUT considering the logistics of a breakdown and rescue there, it seems a bit well advised to stick with a high clearance vehicle anyway heh.

I, like you have always wanted to make the trek to the Playa Racetrack as well, but have yet to make the journey seeing that its quite an adventure just to get there. One of these days though thumb.gif

As for your compositiong I loved it, but can you do me a favor next time? Tell that rock to hold still longer. It seems like it made a trail behind it as it was charging towards your camera at inconcievable speeds rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing bro
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Sweet stuff, Mr. Hughes! thumb.gifclap

But... what is going on with those rocks? Do Death Valley rocks come alive and just... motor around? headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif on both counts! I've seen photos of these things but what's going on here? Do they sprout legs? eek7.gif

Great shot and I would love to visit this place someday. thumb.gif
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    A popular theory on movement is a combination of water-ice on slippery-silty soils, and high winds blow them around. No one has ever seen them actually move.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 16, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    A popular theory on movement is a combination of water-ice on slippery-silty soils, and high winds blow them around. No one has ever seen them actually move.

It appears they move when the playa is wet because of the way the mud builds up on one side of the rock, but it must be one heck of a wind because some of those rocks are huge...
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    the rocks are moved when the alien spaceships come in to land.....:D

Ed, great shot, wheres your journeys thread?:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 16, 2008
    the rocks are moved when the alien spaceships come in to land.....:D

Ed, great shot, wheres your journeys thread?:D

I like that theory a much as some of the others I've heard :s85

I'll try to work on a Journeys thread in the next couple of days..
    edited April 16, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    It appears they move when the playa is wet because of the way the mud builds up on one side of the rock, but it must be one heck of a wind because some of those rocks are huge...

Some of them weigh up to 700lbs.

Here's a few more theories.

http://digital-desert.com/death-valley-geology/racetrack/
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 16, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    clap.gif Great Stuff Ed!!

This is one of my all time destinations. I would need to camp though considering it is a little more than a half day drive from Phoenix.

Great stuff in your gallery! thumb.gif

yes camping there will prolly make for some serious celestial night photog...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 16, 2008
    yes camping there will prolly make for some serious celestial night photog...

Racetrack 360 composite of 30 photos - Dan Duriscoe
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0705/deathvalleysky_nps.jpg
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 16, 2008
    there you have it Aaron Newman, your mission is to beat that pano...

(how many shots with your 7mm would that be?)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 16, 2008
    there you have it Aaron Newman, your mission is to beat that pano...

(how many shots with your 7mm would that be?)

With 114 degree viewing angle-

9496500-Ti.gif9496500-Ti.gif9496500-Ti.gif and 1/2

Then I can go

:snore

I would get more sky and foreground too!!
    rolleyes1.gif

Aaron Newman

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Ed,

I am so jealous you can't believe it. Last year I started down the road to the race track, but it was soo bad I could only manage about 5 or 7 mph. Since I had already had one flat tire that cost me $$$ plus a day, and the park ranger was explaining that the cost to get towed out of there would be $2000.00 should I need it, I decided to give up. :cry

What kind of speed where you able to maintain? How long did the 30 miles take you?

I really want to get in there, and I will be staying at least over night.

Sam
    edited April 16, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Ed,

I am so jealous you can't believe it. Last year I started down the road to the race track, but it was soo bad I could only manage about 5 or 7 mph. Since I had already had one flat tire that cost me $$$ plus a day, and the park ranger was explaining that the cost to get towed out of there would be $2000.00 should I need it, I decided to give up. :cry

What kind of speed where you able to maintain? How long did the 30 miles take you?

Sam

Sam, the road really wasn't that bad, took me a little over an hour to get there, a little longer coming out in the dark.

I talked to a couple of different rangers in DV and have come to the conclusion that they are so full of $%#^ that it's not even funny. One ranger told us that only and experienced 4X4 driver should ever attempt that road and one told us that a family sedan should make it down the road just fine just watch out for the big rocks.

I had the feeling that at least one ranger was trying to discourage us from going out there, they do have a lot of trouble with people taking rocks from the playa, or people scratching their names or initials on the rocks.

The road was plowed but there are a lot of sharp rocks that could take out a tire with little effort, but if you take it easy down the road most cars should be able to do it fine. ( But be prepared for a flat, I was completely willing to trade a tire for the pictures and had prepared for it) I had a brand new floor jack, tire plugs, rubber glue, small air compressor etc...
    edited April 16, 2008
    it sounds to me we need to get a shootout arranged:D

Ed gets to be our master pro guidethumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    it sounds to me we need to get a shootout arranged

15524779-Ti.gif This thread has been incredibly educational. I had no idea it was so rough to get out there. The place looks so calm and innocent lol3.gif
    edited April 16, 2008
    it sounds to me we need to get a shootout arranged:D

Ed gets to be our master pro guidethumb.gif

I would be more than happy to go out there again, just not in the middle of summer :)
    edited April 16, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    I would be more than happy to go out there again, just not in the middle of summer :)

And I was going to suggest late June! rolleyes1.gif

Aaron Newman

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    Sam, the road really wasn't that bad, took me a little over an hour to get there, a little longer coming out in the dark.

I agree, though I realize winter rain can change the character of the road. I drove the road at night last year with no problems. A sedan showed up the next day so high clearance and 4x4 definitely weren't mandatory... but then again I had just come off Steel Pass which is definitely a high clearance, 4x4 road in parts.

87076048.jpg

87131972.jpg

I suspect the NPS simply wants to keep the place semi-pristine -- that and they don't want any more tea kettles showing up at Tea Kettle Junction!

87076052.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    ... they don't want any more tea kettles showing up at Tea Kettle Junction!

For those who can make it there, it's one less thing to worry about for the trip. Just borrow and use one from the sign post for tea or coffee.rolleyes1.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    For those who can make it there, it's one less thing to worry about for the trip. Just borrow and use one from the sign post for tea or coffee.rolleyes1.gif

Cuong

:D Too funny. I'm quite frugal (okay, okay I'm a cheapskate) when I travel but I hadn't even thought of that! I think the park service removes the kettles every year anyway, so it's not like anyone would miss a one or two of them.

And of course there's always crankcase junction if you need a spare crank shaft... and all the salt in badwater basin if you need salt... and borax in many of the nearby mines if you need to wash your clothes... thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Ed,

Sam

Sam the best way to handle the road to the Racetrack playa is to air down your tires. Probably about 20psi for a stock vehicle. I go much lower but my tires are made for it. The bumps don't feel nearly as bad that way! And you always want to air down when you're driving in sand, the bigger footprint helps your tires "float" on the sand instead of digging in. You can drive to a gas station on pavement to air up if you drive slowly and carefully, but better to carry a compressor. The cheap $50 one at Costco is a champ; hooks up to your battery and easily airs up two vehicles. And yes, a night at the Racetrack for sunset and sunrise is easily worth the cost of the compressor in my book.

There's no camping allowed along Racetrack Road, but if you continue past the playa for a few miles there is a designated primitive camping area. It's first come first-serve and if you don't find a spot with an established fire ring you can't build a fire, so best thing to do is get there well before sunset and stake out your campsite, then drive back to the playa in time to hike out for sunset. Photos don't do it justice, but the playa is huge and you can be walking for miles, especially if you start where most of the rocks are (about a mile in) and then walk down to the Grandstand.

Oh, and nice pics to the OP! :D
    edited April 17, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Sam the best way to handle the road to the Racetrack playa is to air down your tires. Probably about 20psi for a stock vehicle. I go much lower but my tires are made for it. The bumps don't feel nearly as bad that way! And you always want to air down when you're driving in sand, the bigger footprint helps your tires "float" on the sand instead of digging in. You can drive to a gas station on pavement to air up if you drive slowly and carefully, but better to carry a compressor. The cheap $50 one at Costco is a champ; hooks up to your battery and easily airs up two vehicles. And yes, a night at the Racetrack for sunset and sunrise is easily worth the cost of the compressor in my book.

iloveyou.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 17, 2008
    im an odd duck, i just dont like campfires, they just make everything smokey....
    i was a scout leader for a great deal of time and on every outing i would try to talk the boys out of making a campfire...but you guessed it, they always got one:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 17, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    And I was going to suggest late June! rolleyes1.gif

june is on the edge for me....why suffer like that :D ...

so lets plan on july:giggle
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 17, 2008
    ehughes wrote:

im guessing october is the soonest i can really seriouly plan for..whatcha all say?
    Aaron Nelson