Racetrack - Death Valley

2»

Comments

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    im an odd duck, i just dont like campfires, they just make everything smokey....
    i was a scout leader for a great deal of time and on every outing i would try to talk the boys out of making a campfire...but you guessed it, they always got one:D

rolleyes1.gifI hear you, but I'm out somewhere in the Mojave every other weekend all winter long, and it gets down in the 20's overnight. I've had several nights where my water froze. Whiskey alone just doesn't cut it! blbl.giflol4
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Sam the best way to handle the road to the Racetrack playa is to air down your tires. Probably about 20psi for a stock vehicle. I go much lower but my tires are made for it. The bumps don't feel nearly as bad that way! And you always want to air down when you're driving in sand, the bigger footprint helps your tires "float" on the sand instead of digging in. You can drive to a gas station on pavement to air up if you drive slowly and carefully, but better to carry a compressor. The cheap $50 one at Costco is a champ; hooks up to your battery and easily airs up two vehicles. And yes, a night at the Racetrack for sunset and sunrise is easily worth the cost of the compressor in my book.

There's no camping allowed along Racetrack Road, but if you continue past the playa for a few miles there is a designated primitive camping area. It's first come first-serve and if you don't find a spot with an established fire ring you can't build a fire, so best thing to do is get there well before sunset and stake out your campsite, then drive back to the playa in time to hike out for sunset. Photos don't do it justice, but the playa is huge and you can be walking for miles, especially if you start where most of the rocks are (about a mile in) and then walk down to the Grandstand.

Oh, and nice pics to the OP! :D

I hear you, but I'm out somewhere in the Mojave every other weekend all winter long, and it gets down in the 20's overnight. I've had several nights where my water froze. Whiskey alone just doesn't cut it!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Boy howdy was I ever disappointed! Here is this Lori gal who likes the outdoors, will camp at 20 degrees, drives a Jeep (even has a picture of the Jeep on her web site), knows the way to the Racetrack, and all around the desert, drinks whiskey, and knows how to air down a tire!!!

Then the fantasy shatters.........:cry She be already done married some other fella.

I'm really gona go eats worms now. :cry

Sam
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    im guessing october is the soonest i can really seriouly plan for..whatcha all say?

October could work.... thumb.gif
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Great shot Ed!!

Thanks Adam
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Boy howdy was I ever disappointed! Here is this Lori gal who likes the outdoors, will camp at 20 degrees, drives a Jeep (even has a picture of the Jeep on her web site), knows the way to the Racetrack, and all around the desert, drinks whiskey, and knows how to air down a tire!!!

Then the fantasy shatters.........:cry She be already done married some other fella.

I'm really gona go eats worms now. :cry

Sam

I love you for that Sam! iloveyou.gif Believe it or not, I actually bought and modified my jeep for my photography. Needed to be able to get where I wanted to go. I usually take the back way to the Racetrack (Lippincott Mine Road - don't ask), then Racetrack Road out.

And I'll definitely meet up for a Racetrack shoot. None of my friends ever want to stay on the playa after dark with me, but I bet you folks will. Too spooky for me to stay out there by myself.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    I made a trip laweek to Death Valley to finally visit the Racetrack, I've heard about this place for years and always wanted to have the time to make it out there, it's a rough 30 miles from Ubehebe crater but it is well worth the journey. It has to be one of the most interesting places I've been to in quite some time. I'd love to grab the tent and spend a few days out there.

A few more from the trip can be found here. http://www.edhughesphoto.com/gallery/4725658_qsDhW#279784043_gF7MZ

Great stuff Ed! thumb.gif Very intriguing place!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    October could work.... thumb.gif
    :nono October is the SHOOTOUT in Utah.

The Raceway is the opposite direction for me.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Sweet shots. thumb.gif

Just watched youtube video for "Racetrack" . Water, ice, wind.
    Michael
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Sam the best way to handle the road to the Racetrack playa is to air down your tires. Probably about 20psi for a stock vehicle. I go much lower but my tires are made for it. The bumps don't feel nearly as bad that way! And you always want to air down when you're driving in sand, the bigger footprint helps your tires "float" on the sand instead of digging in. You can drive to a gas station on pavement to air up if you drive slowly and carefully, but better to carry a compressor. The cheap $50 one at Costco is a champ; hooks up to your battery and easily airs up two vehicles. And yes, a night at the Racetrack for sunset and sunrise is easily worth the cost of the compressor in my book.

There's no camping allowed along Racetrack Road, but if you continue past the playa for a few miles there is a designated primitive camping area. It's first come first-serve and if you don't find a spot with an established fire ring you can't build a fire, so best thing to do is get there well before sunset and stake out your campsite, then drive back to the playa in time to hike out for sunset. Photos don't do it justice, but the playa is huge and you can be walking for miles, especially if you start where most of the rocks are (about a mile in) and then walk down to the Grandstand.

In this case you would NEED an air compressor if you air down. The nearest gas station is in either Beatty (forty or so miles from the start/end of this particular dirt track we're talking about) or Stovepipe Wells-- about 30 miles. The gas station at Scotty's Junction is closed. But really-- I find an air compressor unnecessary everywhere I've been in Death Valley-- including the sandy areas. I take carpet strips for traction but haven't needed those either. With careful driving of a decent 4x4 (I'm also partial to Jeeps) you shouldn't have problems.

That primitive camping area near the racetrack is a bit nasty. Last year the outhouse was knocked over and there was literally TP and brown piles all around from folks who don't understand low impact camping. It's also right near a mine so it's a bit trashed in terms of a natural area.

I'd recommend heading up Hunter Mtn road for better camping options-- though right now you may be limited by snow/ice.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    ok, im sure i am going to death valley nov 7th. i am thinking on possibly getting there evening of the 6th... and i plan on leaving midday the 7th....

anywhos, i would sure like to meet/camp with some of you....
    if i get bit by a rattler then i need you there to give all my photography equipment to... (so my wife doesnt get any of it)...

hahaha J/K i love my wifee....

anyone going?

ear.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    ok, im sure i am going to death valley nov 7th. i am thinking on possibly getting there evening of the 6th... and i plan on leaving early on the 8th maybe before sunrise....

anywhos, i would sure like to meet/camp with some of you....
    if i get bit by a rattler then i need you there to give all my photography equipment to... (so my wife doesnt get any of it)...

hahaha J/K i love my wifee....

anyone going?

ear.gif

I'd love to, but I can't. Big local event here. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    EDIT: im not sure again...i might not do this one

ok, im sure i am going to death valley nov 7th. i am thinking on possibly getting there evening of the 6th... and i plan on leaving midday the 7th....

That actually sounded pretty good. You know the 6th is a Thursday, right? A Friday night/Saturday AM would actually work better for me. But I might be able to do the thur/friday thing. Let me know what you decide.

-joel
    edited October 24, 2008
    ya, i have that friday off, maybe i will drive down thursday after work...
    do some night photog on the racetrack (got my double million halo flashlights now), and also i want to do sunrise at the racetrack....
    i think i would leave and head for california noonish friday to get on the beach for sunset...

then i will head back home saturdayish....

i was hoping to have the 5DII by then...but i guess Canon is slowwwww...
    Aaron Nelson
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Aaron, I'd love to go to the racetrack, however won't be able to make it this month. I'm looking more at a January or February trip out there again.

By the way, Sat Nov 8 and Sun Nov 9 is Aviation Nation at Nellis Air Force Base (home of the Thunderbirds) here in Las Vegas. I'll be there on Saturday. http://www.aviationnation.org/
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited October 29, 2008
    Kdog, im just not sure for sure what im going to do now. i will send you a pm after this weekend once everything is clear with my schedule...

we all need to find a date to meet up and have a proper campout/shootout!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited October 29, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    Aaron, I'd love to go to the racetrack, however won't be able to make it this month. I'm looking more at a January or February trip out there again.

By the way, Sat Nov 8 and Sun Nov 9 is Aviation Nation at Nellis Air Force Base (home of the Thunderbirds) here in Las Vegas. I'll be there on Saturday. http://www.aviationnation.org/

same time next year? i will put this on my schedule!
    Aaron Nelson
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 30, 2008
    This was a destination on our roadtrip over to Moab.

We laughed as we past this sign on the way in...

387676434_UBf49-L.jpg

Only to hit a large rock doing about 40mph a few miles down the road :cry

387633491_6XqcB-L.jpg

387633955_pN8JN-L.jpg

387635250_yVZgL-L.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 30, 2008
    Great shot Ed. This place has been on my bucket list for some time.

If it is possible to do it next spring - say April or May, I might be able to make it also. Spending the night to shoot sunset and sunrise makes a lot of sense also. Hopefully, gas will stay closer to $2 than the recent $4 we were seeing last summer.ne_nau.gif

My Ridgeline has seen some pretty poor roads in Utah, so I think it will survive to the Racetrack, as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 30, 2008
    Kdog, im just not sure for sure what im going to do now. i will send you a pm after this weekend once everything is clear with my schedule...

we all need to find a date to meet up and have a proper campout/shootout!

I probably need to pass on those dates anyway. I'm maxed-out on vacation at work. I could probably scam a day, but two days would be pushing it.

We should definitely put together something soon though. I'm suffering withdrawal from our Moab trip already.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 31, 2008
    same time next year? i will put this on my schedule!
    As far as I know, Aviation Nation is always the second weekend in November.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited October 31, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    If it is possible to do it next spring - say April or May, I might be able to make it also.

May would be way too late, unless you like scorching heat. The best time of year for Death Valley is between November 1 and March 30. This is the period when the average high is under 90. April average highs are in the 90's and May in the 100's.
    edited October 31, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    The best time of year for Death Valley is between November 1 and March 30. This is the period when the average high is under 90. April average highs are in the 90's and May in the 100's.

Hmmm... I've been there the last three years in early October and quite enjoyed it. The heat wasn't an issue at all.

Keep in mind that Death Valley (the park) is huge (largest National Park in the lower 48). It varies in elevation from nearly 300 feet below sea level to over 10,000 feet. There are many, many, many places to go when it's scorching on the valley floors. Hunter Mtn, Mahogany Flat, Striped Butte, the Inyos, Steel Pass, Lee Flat etc, etc.

In fact, on my last visit (first week of October 2008), I spent a week driving and camping in different spots without ever going to Furnace Creek or Badwater or Stovepipe Wells (all hot, and crowded areas). Just get yourself a decent map and guidebook, and you'll be able to find many, many areas where it's not only cooler than the valley basins, but so uncrowded you may not see another soul.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Inspires me to stop on my way back from Bikeweek in March 09.

But how is the weather at that time of year?

Does rain affect access?
    Rags
    edited November 1, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Inspires me to stop on my way back from Bikeweek in March 09.

But how is the weather at that time of year?

Does rain affect access?

Again, Death Valley National Park is HUGE! It's absolutely massive and varies in elevation from below sea level to over 10,000 feet. There are several massive mountain ranges and valleys/basins within the park. So you can imagine there's no one size fits all weather forecast.

Literally there can be rain or snow in one part of the park while it's still dry and clear in another part of the park. Obviously, in March, the higher elevations can be snow covered and inaccessible. But the lower elevations can be dry and warm. Then again, there can also be flash floods and all that.

It all depends on where you want to go. For example, rain can cause flooding that closes the south access to the west side road, but the north access can be clear and accessible. Your best bet is to spend some time on the Park Service's Death Valley website looking at maps to get a sense of where you want to go. It's not the kind of park you can see in a day (or a week, for that matter). You'd almost certainly be fine in March if you want to go to Stovepipe Wells or Furnace Creek. But Hunter Mtn or Hidden Valley or Mahogany Flat may be a different story.

And... to add to all of this, conditions and road closures can change without warning. For example, when I was there in early October, a rockslide had closed the south pass of Saline Valley road. But the north pass and Steel Pass and Lee Flat were still accessible. A week later, the rockslide had been cleared.

Here's an evening shot from that trip near Striped Butte.

104948590.jpg