once again... what is a photo? composites? (LPS debate #12,023,340)

Comments

• James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Andy's reply was in this thread, so I continued the discussion here. As mentioned, I obviously misunderstood Andy's reply. For that, I apologize.

Again, I'm sorry this got derailed. Had I just received a "Yes" via PM, this wouldn't have gotten to this point at all.

I've already given my congratulations to Vandana for the winning image. It is superb.
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
    My SportsShooter.com Profile
    Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
    1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 18, 2008
    This is getting kinda silly
    I agree.

James, to put this as nicely as possible, you've really missed a lot (not your fault, just pointing out you're late to the party), and unfortunately, the questions you are asking are dredging up LOTS of heated topics (what is a photo? is compositing fair? is photoshop fair?)

I would encourage you to take a moment to search through some of our older threads, there is a wealth of "discussion" on all of these topics.

At this point, this is a dead debate. LPS is over, and when/if there is an LPSII, the rules will be different. So lets not get all ruffled again over something that is now well in the past.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    If I can I would like to ask a question.

If you have an image that is a composite of say four photographs, would all 4 photos have to be taken within the dates to be legal? And if so how would you check the EXIF?
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    If you have an image that is a composite of say four photographs, would all 4 photos have to be taken within the dates to be legal? And if so how would you check the EXIF?
    Under LPS I rules, I believe the "vast majority" of the composite needed to be taken with the dates. But only a single EXIF needed to be submitted.

This stuff is all discussed in another thread.
    Chris
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    If I can I would like to ask a question.

If this is a serious post-processing question, since this is the contest forum, and I haven't the first clue about pixel-peeping techniques, I'll happily make this post a new thread for you in the digital darkroom forum.

:D
    Erik

edited April 19, 2008
    Congrats guys, you just got your own thread, knock yourselves out!

And on that note, I'm done - seriously, Andy and I won't be making anymore comments here. The contest is done. Let me remind you, it was Dgrin's contest, Dgrin's rules, and Dgrin's money/prizes to dole out. I think we did well, very well in fact, and I've made it clear IF and when there is an LPSII, there will be a fully new set of rules.

So really, what is the point?
    Erik

• MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Congrats guys, you just got your own thread, knock yourselves out!

And on that note, I'm done - seriously, Andy and I won't be making anymore comments here. The contest is done. Let me remind you, it was Dgrin's contest, Dgrin's rules, and Dgrin's money/prizes to dole out. I think we did well, very well in fact, and I've made it clear IF and when there is an LPSII, there will be a fully new set of rules.

So really, what is the point?

For what it's worth, I liked the existing rules. I stumbled on LPS around #11 and was able to read for myself through the existing threads and easily determine what the rules were. I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the new LPS. Great job guys!
    edited April 19, 2008
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    If I asked it then it was serious.

I understand it was dgrin's contest but it appears you gave the money away to someone you shouldn't. Notice I said "appears". Some people that worked hard trying to win may be disappointed.

Im not following you here. Dont tip toe about...say whats on your mind. Im assuming you mean composite photos being used ...correct ?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    If I asked it then it was serious.

I understand it was dgrin's contest but it appears you gave the money away to someone you shouldn't. Notice I said "appears". Some people that worked hard trying to win may be disappointed.

Thank you. I have said a number of times that photo contests suck because they always end in picayune squabbling over rules, judging, etc. and it looks like I was right. clap.gif

I didn't vote for Vandana's entry but her image was stunning and well worthy of the prize. Instead of saying congrats and moving on some want to quibble over :bigbs.

Composites were allowed under the rules and whether or not Vandana's entry was a composite or not is not an issue. The Exif shows it was taken within LPS's timeline. End of story.

We are not the FBI we can't investigate every possible perceived "infraction". No one has demonstrated that her image was not taken within LPS's timeline. Yet some persist in casting doubt w/o any credible evidence. All I can suggest is that they stop.

I've have had the privilege of viewing Vandana's images for awhile now and she is an amazingly gifted photgrapher. To see anyone cast doubts on her integrity w/o a piece of credible evidence is insulting and mean-spirited.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    I understand it was dgrin's contest but it appears you gave the money away to someone you shouldn't.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

edited April 19, 2008
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    I am not sqaubbling over bullshit. My question was if a composite image is allowed do all the images used to compose one image need to be taken within the dates or not?

For the slow. If I take a image of a dog, another of a ball, and another of a landscape then combine the three is it wrong if the image of the ball was taken outside the contest dates? And if an image like that is entered is the EXIF of all three images checked?

And while we are being smartasses to each other and not civil then your welcome for proving you right.

You continue to prove me right. The EXIF data provided met the requirements of LPS. BTW, EXIF data can easily be edited so even that is not foolproof.

You wrote "it appears you gave the money away to someone you shouldn't". That is an attack on Vandana's integrity. You have nothing to sustain that charge other than your own paranoia. If you have any integrity you would apologize.

Fortunately the powers that be have decided not to continue LPS so we won't have to deal with this :bigbs again.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • crayzphotographycrayzphotography Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Fortunately the powers that be have decided not to continue LPS so we won't have to deal with this :bigbs again.

ahhh! did I miss something.

btw, I only caught the last few rounds of LPS, did not enter a single entry and I completely understand the rules. I thought Vandana was a well deserving winnerthumb.gif .

No LPS2 ? BIG Bummer

-Josh
    Nikon D90
    Tokina 12-24 4
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 II
    http://jhphotoblog.wordpress.com
    http://www.crayzphotography.smugmug.com
    edited April 19, 2008
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    Is there a reason you continue attacking me? Maybe you owe me an apology.

I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I just asked a question and have yet to get a straight forward answer.

"it appears you gave the money away to someone you shouldn't".

That is an attack on the integrity of one of our members. You typed it and hit the submit button. I am "attacking" your action impugning the integrity of one of our members and a superb photographer too.

If you wish to standby that statement, back it up. If you can't back it up w/o anything but your own paranoia then retract it.

That's all I have to say on this matter.
    Harry
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Good going whiners. I hope you're happy.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Doc's explained all of it, ad nauseum.

But I draw your attention to the posted rules:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=54952
    The Rules wrote:
    THE FINE PRINT

The Contest & Challenges Forum Moderator and Dgrin Admin will handle any irregularities, and their decisions are final.

This is not to say there was any irregularity - except for the fact that the rules are being challenged - and the winner is being challenged. Forget it, the contest is over, the prize awarded and the guys in the blue suits have validated everything 8 ways to Sunday. Thank you all :D
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:

For the slow.
    Watch your step.
    edited April 19, 2008
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    Why am I being threatened for asking a question that still has not been answered. I could give a (mod edit) less who won and how it was won. I just asked a question and am not being threatened?
    I am telling you to watch how you reply in d/grin & i considered your manner to be not what is acceptable. Also...i have also removed your swearing from your post & would ask that you do not do it again.
    edited April 19, 2008
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    How come a moderator chooses not to receive PM's or emails?
    Same as any normal user.

Rex, I answered your question, repeatedly. What more do you want? ne_nau.gif

Its ALL in the rules, which we have re-stated several times. As for your current miscommunication with Harry and gus, I've asked them to kindly ignore this thread. For my part, I will reiterate: don't call people "slow" and don't use profanity, those are simple, constant, and universal Dgrin rules.

How many times can I say: LPS is OVER, please respect that.
    Erik

edited April 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Same as any normal user.

Then why can't I choose to ignore them? Question still was not answered. Can you please remove all my post and all the quotes of me as well in this thread as I am done with this topic? I give up!
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    Then why can't I choose to ignore them? Question still was not answered. Can you please remove all my post and all the quotes of me as well in this thread as I am done with this topic? I give up!
    We don't do that on Dgrin, Sorry.
    Rex wrote:
    it appears you gave the money away to someone you shouldn't.

This statement IS OUT OF LINE and OVER THE TOP. You owe Vandana an apology, and that is what is upsetting our volunteers who tried so very hard to make a 14 month contest that was a massive undertaking and that thankfully, the majority of people loved. It's really a shame, that weeks and weeks after the close, that this has to happen :(

The rules were understood by everyone (or at least 99.9% of everyone).

Notice 2 key points of "The Fine Print"
    The Rules wrote:
    * The Contest & Challenges Forum Moderator and Dgrin Admin will handle any irregularities, and their decisions are final.

(several skipped, the full rules are here.

*Dgrin reserves the right to modify or cancel this contest at any time, without notice.

Does this answer all of your questions?
    edited April 19, 2008
    The question I am trying to find an answer to:
    rex wrote:
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:

The question you pose is moot.
    The contest is over, the winner declared, congratulations given, champagne has been popped.

Time to move on.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited April 19, 2008
    rex wrote:
    rex wrote:

No, and we covered that, too, a billion times during the course of the LPS. Composites were allowed. The public voted. The winner was chosen. I don't know that this was a composite image - nor do I care - the rules allowed it. You don't like the rules? That's your prerogative. You could have posted about that, a year ago, when it mattered. Still, in the end, we stuck by the rules, loose as they were. Doing this now, sucks bad.

Let's not forget, that the reputation and fine work by a valued member of this community, and a helluva nice person, cancer doc, and more is being impugned. Get over it and move on, please for the love of pete. It is endless go-round like this that is what has caused the volunteers who tried to bring so much to so many, to sour on this whole endeavor.
    edited April 19, 2008
    And now, Rex, you've been banned for 3 days, by me. Reason: deleting text in your posts that you made in this thread, which you've gotten us all wound up over. Kinda makes the thread a waste of time, no?

Enjoy 3 days off from Dgrin and please think about all the time you took up from the volunteers who try to keep this place great.

For those trying to follow along, the quoted replies after the [...] posts will usually contain the messages that have been deleted. Might be a little harder to follow along but hey, this is the time-wasting thread now thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    rex wrote:

Rex, some folks would actually link to the EXIF data for each image contained in a composite to show all photos had been taken during the specified timeframe. This was not required and was done voluntarily by some entrants. There was a lot of trust involved in this contest.

I believe the rules required a majority of the images used in a composite had to be taken within the contest timeframe. There was no exact number/percentage stated, but I'd wager upwards of 90% would be a fair mark. Again, much trust from our mods and fellow competitors was involved. We're adults and people who share a passion for photography. I like to believe the best of folks until proven otherwise, and I think many of us followed this frame of mind.

I hope when/if you return you find your question honestly and clearly answered.