once again... what is a photo? composites? (LPS debate #12,023,340)

13»

Comments

• James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I believe the rules required a majority of the images used in a composite had to be taken within the contest timeframe. There was no exact number/percentage stated, but I'd wager upwards of 90% would be a fair mark.
    I've seen a few people give the 'majority' answer as well, Llywellyn. After reading through the 39 pages of posts on LPS rules/discussion (this thread), I see that DoctorIt used something similar to describe composites by saying, "For the sake of argument, I'll say what I have said in the past about composites: the vast majority of the photo must be fresh."

However, after being asked to define 'vast majority', he later clarified by specifying that all images would have to be from within the contest dates.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, you got me there. To be honest, this was the type of thing we really hoped would not happen.

I would hope it goes without saying that all material should original.

So let's just stick to that: "photos must be fresh and original" - luckily enough, that's about exactly the wording in the rules! :D

It's easy to see how something as trivial and fun as a photo contest and turn into a quagmire of rules and regulations. I definitely do not envy those who put this together and had to keep the whole thing on track. As mentioned by many others already, they really do deserve more credit for making this happen.
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
    My SportsShooter.com Profile
    Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
    1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    It's too bad about there not being a LPSII. I was pretty busy this past year and was not able to participate to the level I had hoped. No chance of this decision being reversed in the future?

And on topic, all I have to say is that if the winning submission by Vandana was a composite, then all it wants to make me do is aspire to that level of excellence! Seriously, I can barely composite in a decent moon right now. If that submissions truly was a composite all I can say is WOW, and I wish I could do that!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I don't blame the mods from not wanting to do another LPS at this point. Like any contest there is always disagreements and questions. The benefit most contests have is that they are not on a forum where questions are posted for everyone to see and those in charge are in a way, forced to answer and explain.

I feel the contests and challenges prior to LPS where just as beneficial to everyone as a way of improving their skills and view of photography. I hope dgrin will at least go back to those as a way of continuing to challenge its users and showcase the talent on here.

Eliminate the money- it is not worth the hassle. Offering prizes like software- free pro accounts- free admission to workshops/ shoot outs- photoflot frames- and other services could all be used to step up the competition. There are plenty of us that will participate no matter what. Prizes are just perks- cash kills the best intentions. deal.gif

Bring on the challenges without all the unneccessary :bigbs so we can move forward. I'll even be a judge- I am use to getting yelled at. :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I've been away for awhile with tax season and then a photography conference - just now checking in. Do I understand correctly (from this disturbing thread) - no more LPS????? :cry I hope a good replacement comes along soon because my sister in law has nearly recruited me to another forum, and I'm kind of a one-forum girl. I appreciate the high level of the competitions here (when I was able to participate). Like no other.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I've been away for awhile with tax season and then a photography conference - just now checking in. Do I understand correctly (from this disturbing thread) - no more LPS????? :cry I hope a good replacement comes along soon because my sister in law has nearly recruited me to another forum, and I'm kind of a one-forum girl. I appreciate the high level of the competitions here (when I was able to participate). Like no other.
    Tessa, see here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88434
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]