Image Uploader 5.0 won't install

LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited June 5, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have always used the simple uploader but the other day, I was asked to install Image Uploader 5.0. I have not been able to get it to run in IE7 although it's fine in FF. Any suggestions?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Les wrote:
    I have always used the simple uploader but the other day, I was asked to install Image Uploader 5.0. I have not been able to get it to run in IE7 although it's fine in FF. Any suggestions?
    Hi Les, can you try clearing your IE7 cookies for SmugMug, and cache, logging out and logging back in? Let us know, okay?
  • swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Les, can you try clearing your IE7 cookies for SmugMug, and cache, logging out and logging back in? Let us know, okay?

I have been in contact with smugmug support since last night with the SAME problem. I have done the clearing cookies and cache twice, uninstalled and re-installed Java and I STILL can not use it.

I am glad to see I am not alone at least-that makes me feel a *little* better but I am still frustrated:)

The clearing this is what help told me to do too and it has not worked for me. I am running IE 7 and Vista.

Thanks
  • LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Sorry Andy, that did not work.
    edited April 21, 2008
    OK Folks, dunno what's happened to you guys but here's what I'd like you both to try.

1. log out of SmugMug.
    2. go to tools>manage addons in ie7
    3. find the addon "Image Uploader" and delete it if it is present.
    4. go to your gallery and click add photos, and choose the simple uploader.
    5. have to authorize the app by clicking that little yellow bar, then "install activex" then "continue" then "install" - this is a one-time thing.

Some screen shots in here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/add-photos-problems

Let us know?
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    OK Folks, dunno what's happened to you guys but here's what I'd like you both to try.

1. log out of SmugMug.
    2. go to tools>manage addons in ie7
    4. go to your gallery and click add photos, and choose the simple uploader.
    5. have to authorize the app by clicking that little yellow bar, then "install activex" then "continue" then "install" - this is a one-time thing.

Some screen shots in here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/add-photos-problems

Let us know?

Its not there to delete:(

And I went through that help last night and didn't see anything I hadn't tried:(

I have tried installed the Activex Install file at least 10 times at this point.
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

quote]

Andy, the problem is I could not install "Image Uploader" so there's no add-on to delete. When I tried to install, it went through some gyrations but never did install and I ended back at the same point as before, clicking the pop-up to install the activeX loader.
    edited April 21, 2008
    Les wrote:
    Andy wrote:

quote]

Andy, the problem is I could not install "Image Uploader" so there's no add-on to delete. When I tried to install, it went through some gyrations but never did install and I ended back at the same point as before, clicking the pop-up to install the activeX loader.

that is EXACTLY the same thing for me.
    edited April 21, 2008
    Hi Guys, I *just* freshly installed it again in IE7.

Have either of you added new security software ear.gif?
    If you are blocking activex at all, this'll thwart it.
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I have not changed anything from a security perspective but I'll take a look to see if all is as it should be (as far as I can tell).
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Nothing new has been installed on my computer since the last update. I haven't had any problems installing other activeX things (facebook for example and I was able to install the Java again after the support person told me to try un-installing that and re-installing it. It is ONLY with this Image Uploader thing. I run mcafee, if you can tell me something to check in that I would be happy to try anything at this point. I do have updates for mcaffee auto installed but nothing else has giving me any problems.
    edited April 21, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Nothing new has been installed on my computer since the last update. I haven't had any problems installing other activeX things (facebook for example and I was able to install the Java again after the support person told me to try un-installing that and re-installing it. It is ONLY with this Image Uploader thing. I run mcafee, if you can tell me something to check in that I would be happy to try anything at this point. I do have updates for mcaffee auto installed but nothing else has giving me any problems.
    Turn McAfee off temporarily, and try the install again. See if that helps?
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Turn McAfee off temporarily, and try the install again. See if that helps?

Didn't help. Still not working.
    edited April 21, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Didn't help. Still not working.
    Colleen, is your IE7 on Default Security? Tools>Options security.....
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Colleen, is your IE7 on Default Security? Tools>Options security.....

Yes-and it has been as far as I know prior to this. Should it be different?
    edited April 21, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Yes-and it has been as far as I know prior to this. Should it be different?
    I'm kinda stumped on this. Colleen, write me back at the help desk, ATTN: Andy and let me know what time (and timezone) and # to call you on tomorrow. It's 1115pm here in NY so I'm about to quit. But I'll work on getting you sorted out on Tuesday morning.
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'm kinda stumped on this. Colleen, write me back at the help desk, ATTN: Andy and let me know what time (and timezone) and # to call you on tomorrow. It's 1115pm here in NY so I'm about to quit. But I'll work on getting you sorted out on Tuesday morning.

Ok-I will send a message in the morning-I am in NJ:) so at least the time zone is the same:) Thanks
    edited April 21, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Ok-I will send a message in the morning-I am in NJ:) so at least the time zone is the same:) Thanks
    My kid is off from school this week so let's make it anytime after 9am - I'm in NY so we're in the same 'zone' :)
    edited April 22, 2008
    Security Update for ActiveX
    Andy wrote:
    My kid is off from school this week so let's make it anytime after 9am - I'm in NY so we're in the same 'zone' :)

Andy,

I have been looking for anything that might have caused this problem and the only thing I've seen is my Vista Ultimate system received a "Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Vista" on 4/10/08. But, I still can't install Image Uploader 5.0 so if you all find something, please advise. Also, the Aurigma, Inc. website shows a version 5.01 that I think addresses the Kill Bit thingy in the Microsoft Update. Might want to take a look to see if there's any relationship since the Uploader version SM uses is 5.0.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Les wrote:
    Andy,

I have been looking for anything that might have caused this problem and the only thing I've seen is my Vista Ultimate system received a "Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Vista" on 4/10/08. But, I still can't install Image Uploader 5.0 so if you all find something, please advise. Also, the Aurigma, Inc. website shows a version 5.01 that I think addresses the Kill Bit thingy in the Microsoft Update. Might want to take a look to see if there's any relationship since the Uploader version SM uses is 5.0.

I also have that update installed as well. I just looked.
    edited April 22, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    I'll be ringing you in a few minutes.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'll be ringing you in a few minutes.

I am at work. I will email you the number but I cant really go through this til 11am.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Les wrote:
    Andy,

I installed that update on 4/10 as well, and am having no trouble with installing the Simple Uploader. So I'm still thinking, it's something else.

Colleen! Ringy dingy!

20080422-netp89k2dejqub3rb7q4kw668e.jpg
    edited April 22, 2008
    Help
    swcolleen wrote:
    I am at work. I will email you the number but I cant really go through this til 11am.

Andy,

I'm at home and available until 2:00p EST so let me know if I can help in any way.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Thanks Colleen for taking the time to trouble shoot.

Les & Colleen, I have to dig further - we can't replicate your specific issues and so we need to escalate. Stay tuned, a day or two.

In the meantime, Les, please use the Drag and Drop in IE, or use another Browser like Firefox, and use the Simple.

Thanks for your patience.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Colleen for taking the time to trouble shoot.

Les & Colleen, I have to dig further - we can't replicate your specific issues and so we need to escalate. Stay tuned, a day or two.

In the meantime, Les, please use the Drag and Drop in IE, or use another Browser like Firefox, and use the Simple.

Thanks for your patience.

No problem, been using other options. Thanks for looking and if I discover anything, I'll report it.
    edited April 22, 2008
    Les wrote:
    No problem, been using other options. Thanks for looking and if I discover anything, I'll report it.

Happy to try and help-its baffling!
    I did install Firefox and I am using it with the Simple uploader to put some pics up and seems to be working ok. I will try again later in IE when I am home and see if anything changed.

If I can give any more info-or try anything let me know!
    edited April 22, 2008
    Really basic question, but to be certain... are you both sure you have full admin privs on you machines?
    edited April 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Really basic question, but to be certain... are you both sure you have full admin privs on you machines?

pretty sure-I am the only user on it:)
    And I can install anything else with no trouble:)
    edited April 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:

YEP !
    edited April 22, 2008
    Appears something is corrupted.
    Andy wrote:

Earlier today, I attempted to go back to a restore point on 4/17/08 but it did not take. All of the Vista updates had been installed on 4/10/09 so something happened as a result of or after the updates. I'll try and see what other installs I had since 4/10/08 and start uninstalling to see if something is in conflict somewhere.