Image Uploader 5.0 won't install

Comments

• LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    IE7 and/Vista issue
    Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I am having similar uploader problems with my photo lab. Therefore, it appears not to be a problem unique to SM but rather a problem with IE and/or Vista.
  • swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Les wrote:
    Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I am having similar uploader problems with my photo lab. Therefore, it appears not to be a problem unique to SM but rather a problem with IE and/or Vista.

Thanks for the info. I am still only having problems with Smugmug and haven't had any issues elsewhere as of yet. I was able to get it to run in Firefox and then I tried again in IE and still no luck.

Its a puzzle for sure.....I bet its some tiny tiny thing we just cant figure out!
    edited April 27, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I am still only having problems with Smugmug and haven't had any issues elsewhere as of yet. I was able to get it to run in Firefox and then I tried again in IE and still no luck.

Its a puzzle for sure.....I bet its some tiny tiny thing we just cant figure out!

Just thought I would check in and see if anyone figured anything else out to try....I am still having no luck with this uploader and only appear to have the issue with smugmug that I have noticed.

thanks
    edited May 1, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Just thought I would check in and see if anyone figured anything else out to try....I am still having no luck with this uploader and only appear to have the issue with smugmug that I have noticed.

thanks

Anyone? anyone??

Still not working here. I am still using the drag and drop but it is definately not my preferred choice. ANY other things I can try would be appreciated?

thanks
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Anyone? anyone??

Still not working here. I am still using the drag and drop but it is definately not my preferred choice. ANY other things I can try would be appreciated?

thanks
    Sadly, I am still stumped Colleen. I'll ask around here again for more ideas.
    edited May 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sadly, I am still stumped Colleen. I'll ask around here again for more ideas.

Thanks. I am thankful for the alternative but I really hope we can figure it out and I can get back to normal:) I just don't understand why it won't work....

Thanks!
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Hey guys,

I just tried it on my Vista and even after installing all important updates, I had no troubles re-installing the Simple uploader (I removed it beforehand with manage add-ons from the tools menu). Here's my list update history:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/288376465_hwPnv-O.jpg

And here's the list of available updates:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/288376451_93YJe-O.jpg

Do you maybe see anything that you have and I don't or vice-versa? Then I could try to replicate that.

Note that there also has been a person reporting the same problem, but running Windows XP. I have pointed her to this thread and maybe she can shed some light on it from a different perspective.

Hang in there!

Sebastian

PS: Just for reference, these are the ActiveX settings in my IE7:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/288377568_RK68k-O.jpg
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 3, 2008
    Image Uploader4.ocx on my system
    Hey guys,

I just tried it on my Vista and even after installing all important updates, I had no troubles re-installing the Simple uploader (I removed it beforehand with manage add-ons from the tools menu). Here's my list update history:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/288376465_hwPnv-O.jpg

I have discovered that I currently have Image Uploader4.ocx installed on my system. This uploader is published by Dot Photo, Inc but works with my MPIX account. I recently initiated the Dot Photo account and it was around that time that it appeared I began having problems with my SM upoading. In trying to fix the problem, I disabled the Dot Photo uploader and my MPIX account stopped working. Enabling the Dot Photo Uploader4.ocx fixed my MPIX uploader problem but not SM. I'm assuming SM uses Uploader5 instead of Uploader4.

I think I read someplace that you can only have one (1) Image Uploader file on your system. Therefore, I attempted to delete Uploader4, hoping to then be able to install Uploader5 through SM. Unfortunately, when highlighting Dot Photo Uploader4.ocx, the 'Delete' button remains grayed out. Does anyone know how I can delete the Uploader4.ocx so I can then attempt to install Uploader5 through SM? I'm thinking that might resolve the issue for me.
    edited May 3, 2008
    Les wrote:
    Unfortunately, when highlighting Dot Photo Uploader4.ocx, the 'Delete' button remains grayed out. Does anyone know how I can delete the Uploader4.ocx so I can then attempt to install Uploader5 through SM? I'm thinking that might resolve the issue for me.
    Yes, SmugMug uses version 5 of the uploader.
    It's odd that the delete button doesn't work for me. Initially, I tried deleting the uploader manually, but that did not work at all as it was always in use by Windows. I could only remove it using the delete button.
    If you used the uploader, you may have to reboot Windows and make sure that you don't use the uploader prior to trying to delete it. That means after rebooting, directly open your IE7 and try to delete the uploader.

Still, I had, both uploader 4 and 5 installed on my system with no problems, so I'm not sure that this will fix your issue, but give it a try.

Let us know.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 3, 2008
    I give up.
    Still, I had, both uploader 4 and 5 installed on my system with no problems, so I'm not sure that this will fix your issue, but give it a try.

Sebastian

Sebastian,

Thanks for trying but it still doesn't work. I had versions 4 & 5 on my system also but there was a damaged file for version 5 (I think). So, MPIX is probably using version 4 while SM wants to use version 5, which is broke. Also, I can't install version 5 through SMN because it supposedly is already on the system, even though it's broken with the damaged file. On top of that, I think I read someplace that you can't uninstall Image Uploader in Vista. So, it appears I'm stuck with using FF if I want to upload with Simple.
    edited May 4, 2008
    Les wrote:
    On top of that, I think I read someplace that you can't uninstall Image Uploader in Vista. So, it appears I'm stuck with using FF if I want to upload with Simple.
    Here's what I found:
    In order to manually remove the uploader, click on the start button. In the search bar enter 'cmd' (don't hit enter yet). Then in the top part of the start menu you should see the cmd command - right click on it and select 'run as admin'. Confirm the security warning. Then enter the following command at on the black command line screen and hit enter:
    regsvr32 –u ImageUploader5.ocx
    (that doesn't work on Windows XP or Vista! It's for Win 2000 only)

That should unregister the uploader and you should be able to manually delete it by going to:
    C:\windows\downloaded program files - remove both files named 'imageuploader5'

Then try using the simple uploader again and hopefully it'll work then.

Have a great Sunday,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 5, 2008
    Here's what I found:
    In order to manually remove the uploader, click on the start button. In the search bar enter 'cmd' (don't hit enter yet). Then in the top part of the start menu you should see the cmd command - right click on it and select 'run as admin'. Confirm the security warning. Then enter the following command at on the black command line screen and hit enter:
    regsvr32 –u ImageUploader5.ocx

That should unregister the uploader and you should be able to manually delete it by going to:
    C:\windows\downloaded program files - remove both files named 'imageuploader5'

Then try using the simple uploader again and hopefully it'll work then.

Have a great Sunday,
    Sebastian

maybe I typed something wrong but when I tried typing what you suggested above for vista it did not recognize the command.
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    maybe I typed something wrong but when I tried typing what you suggested above for vista it did not recognize the command.
    swcolleen wrote:
    Its not there to delete:(

And I went through that help last night and didn't see anything I hadn't tried:(

I have tried installed the Activex Install file at least 10 times at this point.
    Make sure you click on the dropdown menu next to 'show' and select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer'. I didn't find it my first time around.

From the IE7 Tools menu, go to Manage Add-ons - Enable or Disable Add-ons, then next to Show, choose "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer", find 'Image Uploader by Aurigma' in the list and click Delete. Restart the browser and go to an upload page and select the 'simple' uploader and have it reinstall.
    edited May 7, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Make sure you click on the dropdown menu next to 'show' and select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer'. I didn't find it my first time around.

From the IE7 Tools menu, go to Manage Add-ons - Enable or Disable Add-ons, then next to Show, choose "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer", find 'Image Uploader by Aurigma' in the list and click Delete. Restart the browser and go to an upload page and select the 'simple' uploader and have it reinstall.

Did this. There was no Image Uploader by Aurigma in the list. I did have two facebook ones and I understand its the same and so I deleted both of them and tried to reinstall the simple uploader and still no luck.

I am at such a lost at this point. I have no idea what the problem is, no one can figure it out and its insane, I have never had this problem before.

Anyone got any other ideas? I am up for trying anything!!! :)
    thanks
    edited May 10, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    What Windows version do you have?
    What message did you get when you entered the command?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • stephan54stephan54 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    New Dgrin member, but have been using Smugmug for some years now.

I have the same problem: windows xp pro, have been using this installer up to now, but version 5.0 will not install.
    Deleted Facebook versions 4 and 5, opened facebook, version 5 installed itself again and I could upload pics.

Not so in Smugmug: tried the suggestions in this thread.

Strange: although I have used the image uploader, not a trace was found in the add-on list (IE7 tools).
    When looking for .ocx files, I found a corrupted image uploader 5.0 file which I deleted, but to no avail.

Would be grateful for a solution.
    edited May 10, 2008
    What Windows version do you have?
    What message did you get when you entered the command?

Sebastian

Ok so I went back and tried this again. I am running Windows Vista Home PRemium with SP 1.

This time when I typed it in I got this:
    292774318_FedLx-M.jpg

Maybe I did something wrong? Last time it just told me the cmd was not recognized so maybe I did something wrong then.

So then I tried going to the next step to delete the files....wouldn't let me delete and the only image uploaders were facebook 5 and one other and then a myspace one. I was not able to delete any of them.
    292775629_tvaJE-M.jpg

I also did the same as the person who posted before me, removed the facebook add ons and then reinstalled on facebook when i uploaded with no problems. I saw no trace of a non-facebook addon on anywhere in my list to even try to remove.

What can I try next?
    edited May 16, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    292775629_tvaJE-M.jpg
    Sorry for my late reply. Can you give me any details on the Image uploader control add-on? Do you see that in your IE7 manage add-on settings? Try to remove this uploader and then see if you can install our Simple uploader again.
    What exactly do you see when you try to use the Simple uploader? Is the problem that the 'trust' message box doesn't come up?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 17, 2008
    I still have the same problem, ie7 addon does not show the simple uploader (which I have used as my standard before the trouble started)

I try once in a while if the installation functions and noticed that I do not get the bar at the top of my screen anymore. I immediately get the install screen. When I click 'install' another screen appears after a few seconds, from which I understand that I could choose another uploader since Simple uploader may have a fault registerd to another page.

Hope someone comes up with a solution.
    edited May 17, 2008
    stephan54 wrote:
    I immediately get the install screen. When I click 'install' another screen appears after a few seconds, from which I understand that I could choose another uploader since Simple uploader may have a fault registerd to another page.
    Can you post a screenshot of the screen that you receive after clicking on 'install'? I'm not sure I've seen this screen before and it would be helpful to see what it looks like. Please post a screenshot of your whole screen and not just the message box or your browser.

In case you need assistance on how to take a screenshot, have a look here.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 18, 2008
    The first screen that appears after selecting upload by Simple Version

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    297024715_F25DQ-L.jpg
    <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
    This is the screen I get after clicking Install

297024740_LdqwJ-L.jpg

I use a German version of XP

As I said before, the bar at the top of the screen does not appear anymore.

Stephan
    edited May 18, 2008
    Stephan,

Oh, I see. Would you mind temporarily disabling the McAfee toolbar in IE, McAfee in general and any other security software that you might have running in the background. It wouldn't be the first time that McAfee etc. have interferred with SmugMug.

If the problem seems to persist, let me know what other add-ons (Tools menu > add-ons verwalten or something like that) you have running in IE and in your Windows tray bar (next to the ciock).

Best wishes from Leipzig, Germany,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 18, 2008
    I am not sure how many times I can try describing this a different way. I have gone through this with a tech person on the phone as well as here and I did in fact try it with McAffe disabled as well. I also went to the add-ons and deleted any uploaders I could find but I never saw the one just called Image Uploader. I have uninstalled and successfully re-installed the Facebook one a number of times and I was told originally it was the same one so I I dont know why that one works and not this one.
    See below for screen shots of my life with this Simple Uploader since April 20 2008.
    Here is what happens to me....

I start by going to the other uploader page and then choosing Simple Uploader. This is the screen that appears:
    297288829_aHUWr-L.jpg

I then click on the install bar at the top of the window as I have each time. I then get a "continue" screen that I could not print screen (I believe its a visita screen) and then I got this screen:

297288847_iy6e2-L.jpg

And I click to Install. All looks good as the page is working and then back to square one with this screen:

297288868_uHNoz-L.jpg

I am running Windows Vista HOme Premium with SP1. This all started about April 20. I hadn't had a problem prior to that and always used the Simple Uploader. I use Internet Explorer and again have never had a problem and have not had a problem with ANY other photo uploading that I am aware of. This problem will definately NOT turn me away from smugmug as I am true lover and recommender of the site but I do wish we could come up with something as to why this doesn;t work. Even if its something I have installed and can't get rid of, if I knew the why of the problem I would feel like at least I made some progress towards coming up with a fix. Sorry for the drawn out message but each time I get an alert there is a new post I have hope its a solution and its not so it gets truly frustrating.

Thanks for all the help so far....hope we can find something sooner or later:)
    edited May 27, 2008
    Just thought I would bump this to see if anyone has come up with anything or is this just a lost cause? I have been using the drag and drop but I so miss the simple uploader :(

Thanks!
    edited May 30, 2008
    Just wanted to let everyone with the problem know that we're still working on the issue.
    The good news is that I managed to wreck my IE7 on Vista by installing the Facebook uploader. I'll try to come up with a way of fixing this, but don't know how successful I'll be at this. Won't have a chance to play with it for now, but will hopefully be able to do that later in the day or tomorrow.

Thanks for sticking around,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 30, 2008
    Wh000p - I hope I have really good news for you guys! I think I found a workaround for the Simple uploader troubles. It appears as Aurigma has a feature in their uploader that automatically disables all older uploaders upon installing a new version. This is described here. That means after installing for example the Facebook uploader, our Simple uploader will be broken until we upgrade it to the most recent release.

I hope that this will happen very soon.

Still, I figured out on how they disable the old versions from running and created a tiny reg file that undo's that step for SmugMug's Simple uploader. At least that's what I hope it does and it successfully worked on XP with IE6 and Vista with IE7 for me.

Here's the fix reg file. Just download it and run it. It'll remove one key from your Windows registry. You have to confirm the security warnings.

To undo the removal of this key, use the following undo reg file (this IS NOT the fix - don't use it unless you have a good reason), which will break your SmugMug Simple uploader again. Of course, you won't need this if you want to use our Simple uploader.

That being said, you may have to reapply the fix occasionally, depending on if you use other uploaders from other sites.

I hope this works for you all!

Let me know,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 31, 2008
    thanks for the update. i will try this stuff sometime this weekend when i get a chance and report back how it goes.

question:if i do this fix will facebook uploader work or no?

facebook not as important to mr as smugmug at the
    moment:)

thanks
    edited May 31, 2008
    It works
    Thanks a lot for your help, very much appreciated. (XP pro, IE 7)

Simple uploader is functioning again. Now it shows in my Adds-On window.
    edited May 31, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    question:if i do this fix will facebook uploader work or no?
    Facebook uploader should still work, at least it did for me. Plus, it shouldn't break the Simple uploader again unless you re-install it. Therefore, I would recommend you to check the advanced option to always trust the uploaders you're continuesly using. That might prevent that you have to re-apply the fix.

Have a great weekend everyone and I'm glad that it seems to work for you as well,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 2, 2008
    you have made me a very happy person. You truly are a smugmug hero! thanks again for all the help and not giving up. Smugmug comes through as usual and its only one of the many reasons i love them!!!