If you're not fond of HDR's, what ya think of this new trend...

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited April 26, 2008 in Cameras
The 'Tilt Shift' effect?

I think they are the stupidest looking pictures ever. Hope not to offend anyone, but this is LAME-O!!

http://www.tiltshiftphotography.net/images/tutorial-images/15-voila.jpg

(Mod edit, changed image to link.)

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    ...is this your photo...was this done with a tilt-shift lens.....or was it done with a lens baby......think it is kinda cool but I have always liked off the wall art.......:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    ...is this your photo...was this done with a tilt-shift lens.....or was it done with a lens baby......think it is kinda cool but I have always liked off the wall art.......:D
    It's a processing technique. I had to search for this one, two year old thread.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30850
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Eph,

I'm not quite sure what the point is, to make a post like this? I don't care for Michael Bolton, but I don't go around slamming him, either. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    eek7.gif

Well, others post their HDR's and all people do is interject their opinion of what they think of the process, rather than the photo it self.:
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    they are the stupidest looking pictures ever.... this is LAME-O!!

Hope not to offend anyone...
    How can this not offend? Someone took the time to shoot this. So it's obvious somebody likes it.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Like HDR, Tilt shift/lensbaby, fisheye to me these are all what I would consider trick shots that you can throw in once in a while to grab an attention but not necessarily somethig to use all the time as that would get too old.

If it's done right and thrown in sparingly, I think it's fine.
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I'm not fond of HDR but I spent far to much on one of my favourite lenses.....

The Canon 45mm TS-E

All of these focus effects are in camera, theres a lot more to tilt shift then just making things look small.

252574997_o5ZBs-M.jpg

282739917_Q6DTN-M.jpg

166217958_JJygT-M-3.jpg

199173637_QJSey-M-3.jpg

199174369_4xhFW-M-3.jpg

more here: http://www.ogle.co.nz/gallery/2590831_xJDGf#252575350_56cXx
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    They possibly do look 'stupid' to someone that does not understand their purpose. Have a good read here & see if you think they are still stupid.
  • LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    I looked at the first one for 5 minutes, and I was impressed. A totally different point of view on the world, as a matter of fact I think all the following image were kinda neat also.
    I am not a Michael bolton fan either BUT sometime good music is Just that Good music
    All the best
    Chris
    www.longislandimage.com
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    A unique look for sure, and one that stands out quite a bit. I'm not sure I'd use it much myself, but there could always be an instance where I could see its use. There is no such thing as losing photographic creativity IMO. :D
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008
    The 'Tilt Shift' effect?

I think they are the stupidest looking pictures ever. Hope not to offend anyone, but this is LAME-O!!

I'm not sure why you think this is something new, as tilt-shift was a feature of 19th century field and monorail cameras and is still in use today. And, of course, T-S lenses for SLRs are readily available. Knowing how to simulate the effect in Photoshop can be useful, but like HDR and other techniques, the key is using the method appropriately. In the best cases, you don't even know the technique was used.

Miniatures, like the one you posted, are not my cup of tea in general. I like them more when the scene is familiar, in which case it can sometimes look cool. But again, success depends on being appropriate. I would never consider shooting a portrait of my mother that way, but it might be just perfect for an eye-catching advertisement. In the end, it's just another tool in the kit.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    eek7.gif

Well, others post their HDR's and all people do is interject their opinion of what they think of the process, rather than the photo it self.:

So that makes this slam ok? If we all jump off a bridge, will you follow? Just pointing out the flawed logic here. Yes, the post is offensive.

I don't personally care for the orignal image, but that's just my opinion. By the same token, some of the others are kind of cool in their way. It's a matter of taste & what the artist's intent was.

A more constructive tack on the thought is this: ANY process overdone will look bad, tilt-shift, HDR, sharpening, etc. Anyone remember all the way-oversharpened images a few years back when everyone was discovering Photoshop & digital imaging? The idea is to achieve Chip Foose's ideal when he's customizing a car: you see it & know something has been doen, but you cannot figure out exactly what. It's all about subtlety.
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    He he he he he (ok, OK, I know it isn't the same thing as in the first post, but this is what I thought of).
    P3290247.jpg

I kinda like the effect, better than HDR which is WAY overdone most of the time IMO.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    ts lenses are so much fun to play with, I enjoy the miniaturization effect that you can get.
    recreating in photoshop, meh.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    The 'Tilt Shift' effect?

wow, im nearly speechless....

you hope not to offend anyone, but your mouth needs to open at some point?

seriously....rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    What's with all the Michael Bolton haters out there?
    he he he
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    If you have to say "Not to Offend"
    What in the world do you think you are going to do when you have to preface any comment "Not to offend"? Either own up and mean to offend or keep your mouth shut.

And if you are offended, it was intentional.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    The 'Tilt Shift' effect?

I like 'em. Not something I'd spend any time doing personally, but they look pretty cool, when done well.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008
    This thread is heading into the "what the heck does it have to do with photography?"

Please refrain from personal attacks.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This thread is heading into the "what the heck does it have to do with photography?"

But can we continue the attacks on Michael Bolton?

:D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008
    mike_k wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    The 'Tilt Shift' effect?

This is well worth a watch and a listen... Sports shots via T&S by Vincent Laforet. I saw this months ago and I still remember the photos.

New York Times Photo Sports

He shot the Pipeline Masters, US Open Tennis, World Series, Kentucky Derby, Superbowl, etc -- all via a T&S.

T&S might not be for everyone, but looking at these images and listening to him speak provides his thoughts on why he shot using a T&S and why he believes it works.

Personally, I was very impressed by his work and one day, I'll will try it. He did it from the stands along with everyone all the fans and not from the special press box. It gives me hope that I can too produce great (and interesting) work in the bleachers.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    mike_k wrote:
    thumb.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Eph,

I'm not quite sure what the point is, to make a post like this? I don't care for Michael Bolton, but I don't go around slamming him, either. ne_nau.gif

It would be a sad day, in deed, for music if we couldn't attack Michael Bolton. :bwg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    .........I would never consider shooting a portrait of my mother that way .........

hehehe, This is one of the only portraits I have of my mother....

241223933_6eYVU-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Being a surf junkie, I have to say, that shot of Pipeline might be one of the most unique and sickest shots I've ever seen. I love it! iloveyou.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    I've not seen that technique before, I like it, thanks for all the links.

Charlie
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    hehehe, This is one of the only portraits I have of my mother....

Well done too...very appealing shot.:D
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

When I grow up, I wanna be just like you, Ziggy! :D
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    gus wrote:
    They possibly do look 'stupid' to someone that does not understand their purpose. Have a good read here & see if you think they are still stupid.

Thanks Gus, but I shoot LF, and use the tilts, drop and rise all the time. But without the intent of making the subject look like a toy train set.

The T/S lens for the DSLR is a cool tool, and would like to try one sometime. And the countless samples of this fine art I've seen lately have all been squished in PS.rolleyes1.gif