A Day in the Life of Dgrin! - THE BIG REVEAL!...

2»

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Rose Valley, Upper Ojai
    I spent this day of my life in a great company of 3 models, 2 MUAs and 1 very tall waterfall:-)

1: IMG_8435: Randa

283877461_JNHvk-XL.jpg

2: IMG_8539: Randa

283877449_pjUBh-XL.jpg

3: IMG_8636: Randa

283275771_QsWAZ-XL.jpg

4: IMG_8333: Carina

283877561_EN6hj-XL.jpg

5: IMG_8373: Carina

283877608_YbZQn-XL.jpg

6: IMG_8386: Carina

283877646_aLmhw-XL.jpg

7: IMG_8413: Carina

283877704_vur6R-XL.jpg

8: IMG_8430: Carina

283877750_ELNnP-XL.jpg

9: IMG_8694: Carina

283877784_ZoeQe-XL.jpg

10: IMG_8796: Carina

283877838_88Rno-XL.jpg

Complete set, including "Behind the Scenes" coverage, can be found here: http://nik.smugmug.com/PhotoSoCal/501956
    Thank you Diane's Beachware for the provided swimsuits!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • mtmillzmtmillz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Saterday Apr. 19th, a couple friends and I attempted an early season ascent of 8705 ft. Colchuck Peak in the North Cascades. It was a grueling day. We were on the move by 4am. The road to the trialhead was gated off; therefore, we had an extra 4 miles to hike in and out (8 miles total). The trail was compact snow to the point of concrete ice until we reached Lake Colchuck. At the lake we enjoyed lunch and I found a little time to dig out the camera to snap some shots before we made our way up the Colchuck glacier. The clouds started to come in and by the time we make it half way up the glacier the visability was not the best and the snow was really crusty, so we decided to ditch the idea of standing on the summit that day and strap on our ski, which we hauled up to that point, and start heading down. Back down at the lake I was able to find somemore time to play with the camera and the dubious clouds over Dragontail and Colchuck peaks. It was a big day, 16 hours on the trail, 18 miles roundtrip, and about 10,000 ft. of elevation change. Lots of hiking and skiing...not much photography, but here are some of my favorites.

This is from Lake Colchuck, which is frozen over, looking up at Dragontail Peak in the center and Colchuck Peak on the right. Colchuck glacier is the snow patch between Dragontail and Colchuck Peaks (we made about half way up that before turning around).
    284715983_xneEh-L-1.jpg

This is as high as we got, about 6700 ft. Below is the frozen Lake Colchuck.
    284677390_54Z5V-L-1.jpg

My friend Trevor preparing to take of his crampons and strap on his skis.
    284678977_GVwuz-L-1.jpg

Trevor and Dave at the edge of Lake Colchuck.
    284678174_CbkCv-L-1.jpg

Trevor talking to another guy who was camping up there about the route and snow conditions. By the time we made it back down to Lake Colchuck the clouds broke and we saw blue skies once again, which made us second guess our decision to turn around, but we were exhausted and it will always be there for us to climb another day.
    284679351_6Txt5-L-1.jpg

This was on our way up to Lake Colchuck following the icy bobsled track that was the heavily compacted trail.
    284677750_Z2et8-L-1.jpg

Well, the summit gods decided it wasn't our time, but we will be back...once my calfs forgive me.

Thanks for the challege Dad.

Miles McKee
    http://milesmckeephotography.smugmug.com
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I don't have a particular genre, but I would say that my area is "Musicians", I love the energy, the crazy hours, etc. so my day started at Midnight, at a local place for Musicians called Cheers, where I photographed a Live Performance by the Band - "Funk U" - If interested you can hear their tunes at http://www.myspace.com/funkuband

284221385_ZhKYk-L.jpg

284221401_RxCUa-L.jpg

284221456_uMcT7-L.jpg

284221453_sEohW-XL.jpg

284221512_LCvEo-L.jpg

284221460_sCQAP-L.jpg

284221503_YDb6w-L.jpg

284221499_U59go-L.jpg

284221530_NwWqn-L.jpg

And my day ended at a BOYS Sleepover (The last Leg of It)

284221397_8YoSX-XL.jpg

Paul, thanks for the FUN...it was nice getting to show people, what you do, and what your day might consist of. Look forward to another one like this. For all that don't know it, I am officially a Smuggy now, yeah I know it took me a year, but I finally did it !! I don't know what took me so long. http://dpstudios.smugmug.com

You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I took the afternoon and evening to go to the Gatorland Rookery in Orlando. It was fun seeing the changes since the last visit 2 weeks earlier.

Some Egrets were still fixing up the nest...
    285406982_XDPSF-M.jpg

While others have chicks that are getting close to leaving the nest...
    285407282_V4ZcC-M.jpg

Others inhabitants were on the lookout for dinner...
    285406880_xkjWQ-M.jpg

While some were still sitting on a nest of eggs...
    282085133_VawVH-M.jpg

It won't be long before these hatch, as a few of the nests already had hatchlings.
    285407078_VaKSf-M.jpg

The Gators were lazing in the sun...
    281940773_sk5Zy-M.jpg

...and this Anhinga family was also enjoying the beautiful day.
    281948257_VKLGK-M.jpg

Others were being a bit demanding for their supper...
    281941177_KroJw-M.jpg

Ospreys were fishing and this one grabbed his dinner out of the Swamp while I was watching. I wasn't fast enough to catch his flight tho...
    285407270_pivuM-M.jpg

The day ended with a wonderful reflections in the water...and a promise to myself to return again in a couple of weeks.
    285407458_AfgSM-M.jpg
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    My day started out at 4-star accomodations.
    284196453_22ech-L.jpg

Unfortunately room service closes at 6:30am at this establishment, but I did manage to convince the chef to stay open late.
    284206890_7kX2h-L.jpg

The price of a room here is physical labor, I had a benefactor pick up my tab.
    284197389_9yREQ-L.jpg

My room had a great view out the door, and was water adjacent (creek) out the back.
    284193626_bmmtC-L.jpg

The people seemed to do a lot of social climbing.
    284201463_ECoiV-L.jpg

284240237_aD6Rp-L.jpg

One group seemed to be really pushy.
    284247036_eLHZd-L.jpg

This guy passed out from all the excitement.
    284248800_DSezk-L.jpg

Did you ever notice some people seem to not notice anything around them?
    284250504_ZZ7gC-L.jpg

I don't want him, you take him.
    284260414_PZFen-L.jpg

If it isn't already obvious I'm involved with Boy Scouts. My (Eagle Scout(proud father)) son is now in college and too old to be a scout (although when he's home he helps with leadership). I'm combatting empty nest syndrome by going places with my other 22 boys. This was a day of service, rock climbing, and team building. An added plus is that the camp we were at is about 30 miles from the nearest cell tower.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Since this is not a formally judged contest, there are no prizes, and the rules are kind of open, I decided to do something different (please forgive me)...

I took my daughter skiing (one last time before the season was over). I brought my D200 and my camcorder. I'm not sure why but the D200 stayed in the car.

So I've never really done anything like this before but here goes (think of it as a lot of still photos :D)...

<object width="425" height="318"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008042404.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MjgzOTc1NzcyJms9dDlpeG0mYT00NzYwNDg3X2ViTVlCJnU9SW5pdGlhbFBob3RvZ3JhcGh5" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008042404.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MjgzOTc1NzcyJms9dDlpeG0mYT00NzYwNDg3X2ViTVlCJnU9SW5pdGlhbFBob3RvZ3JhcGh5" width="425" height="318" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

and here is the smugmug higher def version...

http://initialphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4760487_ebMYB#283975772_t9ixm
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Well, I was out that day shooting, but I had not read anything about this "unnofficial challenge". Anyway it was a nice day out in Union Square, New York. As the sun started heading behind the buildings, it got cold and cloudy out. Usually I catch the train down and go to the Barnes & Noble. They have the "Largest Barnes & Noble" in the world on 18th street and then on 17th street they have another Barnes & Noble which I don't really think is any smaller, but tends to be more packed on a consistent basis.

1. He was trying to sell some goods. Asked me to take a pic.
    285504062_f9QNB-XL.jpg

285487575_diPus-XL.jpg

285488376_8pNzm-XL.jpg

4. Vendors
    285489350_AX9uA-XL.jpg

5. Soon as I pulled up my camera to take a shot of her nice dress and hairdo she got a call and started walking away!
    285489845_KNo9f-XL.jpg

285490725_augu3-XL.jpg

285491318_iA7Q9-XL.jpg

8. Stilettos
    285492269_H5riP-XL.jpg

9. An 80's look
    285482902_n8Ho9-XL.jpg

10. NYPD blocking the box! If you see the sign above the traffic light it says, it's illegal to block the box or you get fined and +2 points on your license. lol. Seriously though, one block away from home I'm reminded Pope's heading out of town so NYPD has to cut off some streets.
    285485579_QgZTK-XL.jpg

Rest of small gallery here w/ exif info
    http://dak.smugmug.com/gallery/4804911_2Bfat#285504062_f9QNB
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    A day in the life? Well, why not. I call this snapshots of my day because the light and weather (extreme wind) did not help. But, hey, it's just to share what happened that day, right? So here goes.

The prior Saturday Rayna took her car to get a smog. Now back over 20 years ago in New Jersey registration was paid according to the weight of the vehicle, no matter what its age. Inspection consisted of checking lights, horn, alignment, brakes, etc. Important things that should be checked before anyone decides to head down the highways (they are highways back east, not freeways) at top speed.

Imagine our culture shock when we got to California and our cars were extremely suspect, subject to sales tax, and the registration based on the cost of the car and the age of the car. From around $35 a year we jumped to several HUNDRED dollar a year. And the inspection? A "smog" check. It didn't matter if the car couldn't stop, or stop on a straight line, or whether the horn or headlights worked -- the smog, it was all about the smog. Culture shock, indeed.

So after we dropped the car off we headed to the Elephant Bar for some lunch, confident, after getting a tune up, oil change and all that good stuff that Rayna's car would pass. WRONG -- it failed. With dire predictions of a catalytic converter needed it was a downer for sure.

Rayna returned to the repair shop and they discovered a loose hose, tightened it up and advised her to drive the car a bit before dropping it off at the smog test only station.

So April 19 was all about the smog. We dropped the car off. As soon as I stepped out of the car I was made aware of an extremely brisk and unrelenting wind. Now it's often windy in Daly City, but this seemed extreme. I decided to wait inside the little area where one can pay for gas if they aren't using a card, pick up a cold drink or some smokes, or maybe some candy. I didn't want any of that and Rayna was nervous about me staying in an area and taking up space, but the asian man must have been fairly newly arrived in this country because he welcomed me, and even got me a chair to sit on, once I explained it was just too windy for me to wait outside. Thank heavens for a culture that respects elders.

Finally after waiting and going in and out from the office he proudly informed me that the car had passed.

285519801_aWuJA-L.jpg

The above is a composite I created.

Then we went to go get some beef -- I normally don't eat red meat, but about 3 or 4 times a year I like a hunk of beef, so we headed for Black Angus, which, unfortunately was closed. Rayna took me to a different restaurant. The commercials make it sound like an excellent place to eat, but Rayna said it was overpriced and the food wasn't that good. The restaurant shall remain nameless, but if you've eaten there you might recognize the plates. What looked so good on the menu, and when it was served turned out to be quite disappointing. My "Arnold Palmer" (half iced tea and half lemonade" was served with very strong tea and pink lemonade, not what I was expecting. Anyway, I was thirsty and hungry, we ate, my curiosity is satisfied, and I will not eat there again. :-)

285518709_nUEEg-L.jpg

One more thing to get... Rayna wanted some iced coffee. This sign seems to be the story of my life lately. More going out than coming in, Laughing.gif!

285518720_qk9iM-L.jpg

The smog part of the day done, we were off in search of photos for "the day of." I had remembered some lilacs blooming near Rayna's friend's house. Yep, they were genuine lilacs, and smelled great. It was hard to get a photo that wasn't blurred due to the high wind, even with holding the branch and trying to shoot one handed. The wind was very unpleasant, so I didn't dwell out of the car that long fighting it. Then I saw a nice poppy patch next to a hardware store and school. Well, the poppies were smart and closed themselves up, those that didn't had their petals blown off. Below is a photo of the lilacs and the poppy that didn't close all the way up.

285518731_xph2E-L.jpg

Across the street from the lilac bush Rayna pointed out a house I'd never noticed before. I like! How neat to find something different and more contemporary in our town. I really like the slate, and they must get a great view from that south facing side.

285518738_viFrt-L.jpg

So how bad was the wind? Here's a photo of two flags at the school. They were constantly like this, no let up in the wind at all. I was able to close down my f-stop and up the shutter speed because the light was so bright.

285518753_dSrNR-M.jpg

Off to the beach to see what was happening. Well, the wind was even more relentless, but fortunately it wasn't blowing sand around. However, the wind was so bad that I soon returned to the car. There was no way I could keep my telephoto lens in any kind of steady position.

285519775_Kj3qW-M.jpg

We had some big logs drift onto the beach and people were arranging them on the beach. You can see the waves weren't that high at all. And no surfers even attempted to surf those waves.

Back in the car I told Rayna that if we had an earthquake we'd never feel it the car was being buffeted around like you wouldn't believe. I shot a bunch of photos looking north from the car, but on close examination a lot of them were really soft because I just couldn't hold the lens and camera still enough.

I've been working lately on trying to see at what point in the wave hitting and falling makes the best photo. I haven't come to any conclusions yet. I had to photoshop this one quite a bit as the light was bright and flat (the photo did not look like this straight out of the camera).

285519766_rrFND-L.jpg

After an hour or so, we gave up. It was just too hard fighting the wind, my hand was cramping up trying to keep the camera still, and my shoulder was starting to hurt too. So Rayna drove me home.

I stopped to check on the progress of my herbs. At our exercise place (curves) they have these team projects. Last time my team came in dead last. This time my team won. Our reward was a choice of a strawberry pot or an herb pot. I decided the herbs would be of more use and I could share them with Rayna too. When my other daughter and my grandson came to visit he spotted the herb pot, asked what it was. He then said, "we had one of those" and he was off to put it together for his grandma! I got out the camera and documented my daughter and grandson creating the pot with dirt and seeds. That is his writing, it says Cilantro. They are about a week old.

285519791_3p8Px-M.jpg

Finally, after relaxing a bit and playing on the computer, I saw the sunset out my home office window and I went out to take some photos. I had a lot of trouble with the light. The sky was pink, the sun red and orange. I did a little photoshop magic to balance what I remember seeing, but even with the sunset, the day gave me photo problems!

That's it, the end! It was fun documenting my day an I've really enjoyed reading about everyone else's day and seeing the photos.

285519795_PJWAr-M.jpg
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    My day in the life...well I thought of all kinds of things to do. But it turned out to be an ordinary Saturday. My hubby actually had the day off (sort of) so we just ran around town and did a few things.

So here goes...

1. First stop Pets Inc. to look at my other favorite hobby.

285595922_EjkUC-M.jpg

2. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

285594470_3LmtT-M.jpg

3. Next stop was our favorite book store. I call this the $100 store, never get out of there for under that. This trip I discovered the photog mag Rangefinder.

285594418_SWLjK-M.jpg

4. What'cha looking for?

285594441_akDLc-M.jpg

5. Then home to enjoy the garden

285594166_m4m2Y-M.jpg

6. Ice plant flower

285594392_PJdXM-M.jpg

7. Dinner time

285593151_uWivy-M.jpg

8. Play time again

285593931_Z73p3-M.jpg

9. Aren't I cute?!

285593196_xFqJo-M.jpg

10. Still wanting to take some more photos, I dragged my daughter to the park. I think the expression is, 'you are so weird mother.'

285601789_oVRHy-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I can't wait for the next challenge like this in September!!!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    A Day in My Life.....
    Well, it's an unofficial challenge, and yet I am still waiting til the last minute.

I spent the 19th at our local annual car show. I shot every car that came through the entry point, then I had some fun wandering and shooting for the day. I also learned that I've got to be careful not to get my reflection in every single photo!

Here are a few of my favs of the day.....

5. Mike - A friend of mine on the Chamber of Commerce Board. As he was driving around franticly organizing the event, he drove past the spot I was shooting the cars as they enter.
    285651145_gWEG6-L.jpg

2. A favorite couple of cars with the kids
    285647946_tsh3k-L.jpg

3. Life is good
    285649983_yuczY-L.jpg

4. Salute
    285648908_2hb6S-L.jpg

5. A reflection of the event
    285647076_Cfq5z-L-1.jpg

6. One Hot Chevy
    285651991_Rk7re-L.jpg

7. Tried to come up with a title or caption for this one, drew a blank....any suggestions?
    285652650_hRqF3-L.jpg

8. Orange Peeler
    285653316_8XA2J-L.jpg

9. "Sunset Drive"
    285654150_eests-L-0.jpg

10. A Bull's Horns
    285655268_Br8Ae-L-0.jpg

Thank you PTM for organizing this! It's been great to see a glimpse into everyone's day.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    a day with UKV Photos
    My models were full of energy. We started the morning with two diffrent games but the weather got the best of the second game. As promised here is a look at my day. Some I just like, even though I could have done a better job taking it...some I choose for the expresions of the players and some are just good shots. Take a look and see what my day was like. As always CC welcome and desired.

281914353_v6cFt-S.jpg

281954192_Jut47-S.jpg

3 (This one is a little blurry I was shooting on the other field and turned just as he kicked the ball, I snapped the pic by reflex, I didnt even have a good focus on it, but still like it for some reason.)
    281990125_7XMyD-S.jpg

282005487_t9Xw4-S.jpg

282009170_T22nM-S.jpg

6 (Someone once told me to keep the camera pointed at the action even after it stops. I caught this one right after the player scored her first goal of the day...she is great but look at the expression on the little guy behind her. My heart goes out to him)
    282010363_oD5PQ-S.jpg

282016176_5Cugs-S.jpg

282021814_KFCoW-S.jpg

9 (No players or equipment were damaged in the making if this image. Though at this point the player who kiced the ball looks a little worried.)
    282025021_XEffJ-S.jpg

282026244_EEyzy-S.jpg

If you want to see others from the day take a look at the gallery:
    http://www.ukvphotos.com/gallery/4755310_SULSd/1/281914353_v6cFt

PhotoJ
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    international childrens festival
    I spent the day with my family.
    284433956_eAxDD-L.jpg

We went to a children's international festival and this is what we saw.
    284433372_zw3tt-L.jpg

We sat and watched for a few hours.
    284430517_vzJLJ-L.jpg

And this is what we saw.
    284436163_AnYLj-L.jpg

We unexpectedly ran into some friends.
    284429909_6KJv8-L.jpg

And, this is what we saw.
    284435360_3LdM4-L.jpg

It was a very hot day.
    284430953_VKMtp-L.jpg

And, this is what we saw.
    284434414_WsJ7M-L.jpg

I ended the day by walking across the street with my step sister to take a few photos.
    284434534_tBGbf-L.jpg

284434653_pY2CK-L.jpg
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    I ended up working more than I had initially planned, so I didn't get to take as many pictures. I did take a break to watch a little baseball though so here's a few from the Dodger's game.
    281860604_de4jw-L.jpg

281856670_iYhv7-L.jpg

281857533_xrN9u-L.jpg

281858351_FTy84-L.jpg

281859130_m65QY-L.jpg

281860058_CzVQk-L.jpg

Perhaps not my best work, but I love the concept of "a day in the life..."
    There are some stellar photographers in this forum. Congratulations to all of you who participated.clap.gif
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    There are some really great images in this thread...

These are not exaclty what I meant to take pictures of... but I actually forgot about doing it. rolleyes1.gif So, this is what i did get pictures of. :D

286551701_55nSW-O.jpg

286551799_L3a2z-O.jpg

286551885_TVevY-O.jpg

286551982_WejZQ-O.jpg

286556026_VHcee-O.jpg

286551211_pfqpv-O.jpg

286551271_zDH5R-O.jpg

286551353_2TWu3-O.jpg

286551499_hqnNS-O.jpg

286551586_PKahz-O.jpg
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    I am a few days late posting, but hopefully it is ok.

We spent the day at the Skagit Valley Tulip festival. As some of the other west coasters commented, we had some odd weather (hail, snow, rain) but we hoped that the tulips would be less crowded because of it ...

283760767_n7V2c-M.jpg

the ominous sky
    283767443_caRkX-M.jpg

the mountains
    283722484_rFafU-M.jpg

the close-ups
    283731352_NEwkt-M.jpg

the outcast
    283736901_LZBmQ-M.jpg

the inside
    283762968_QFHdm-M.jpg

the rows
    283770083_twUfo-M.jpg

a little tourist get into it
    283733859_erKxH-M.jpg

Another great barn
    283739599_TUhJ3-M.jpg

the promise of the weeks to come.
    283731646_WZjUd-M.jpg
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • flydragonflydragon Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 29, 2008
    Sorry this is late.

This was a fun activity. Thanks Paul for the great idea. Most of the pictures are from LAX international where my Lion Dance team decided to surprise one of the directors who recently came back from vacation in Asia.

1. My friend's tshirt
    n2518885_40123634_6269.jpg

2. Planning the surprise
    n2518885_40123638_7209.jpg

3. Practicing
    n2518885_40123641_7966.jpg

4. Airport carts
    n2518885_40123643_8477.jpg

5. Revealing the sign
    n2518885_40123645_9024.jpg

6. The final product
    n2518885_40123646_9291.jpg

7. Hug of Joy!
    n2518885_40123647_9555.jpg

8. Stan's Donuts
    n2518885_40123648_9826.jpg

9. the donuts are lip smacking good
    n2518885_40123651_662.jpg

10. Fox Theater in Westwood
    n2518885_40123649_99.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos. All C&C are welcome.
  • MagpieMagpie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 29, 2008
    Maggie's Day
    April 19, 2008 in Everett, Washington. Snow, for Pete's sake. And rain. And hail. And thunder. Little bit of sun in between.

285657320_BCb63-L.jpg

All third Saturday's of the month start with breakfast with my folks and cousins at the Senior Center in Monroe. This is rain on blooming grass outside the door (Dactyla glomerata I think).

285651304_DV4LQ-L.jpg

After breakfast Dad took me on a "photo tour" down some of his favorite roads. First the swamp below Reformatory Road, looking for the cormorants that often gather there. None today.

285655342_hGBRV-L.jpg

Next to visit an old barn on what used to be the Howe place, now a park. The barn turned out to be disappinting, but we found interesting things along the way. The llama invasion for one thing (this is an old dairy farm)

285647921_GXYcd-L.jpg

Skunk cabbage blooming in the snow.

285650169_yRfKh-L.jpg

Four of my favorite subjects in one shot! Lichens, moss, blackberry brambles and douglas fir.

285649118_U6di9-L.jpg

A goose from the car window.

285647561_bBK6j-L.jpg

Snake in the grass! On the way home from Monroe, stopped by a cemetary in Snohomish to look for a great-uncle's grave. Uncle Lloyd has been on my mind lately, as Dad gets more and more like him. Anyway, I didn't find Uncle Lloyd, but I did find an eagle's nest with birds coming and going. I tried to set up between rain squalls, and almost stepped on this little guy, too cold to move during the 15 minutes I moved all around him.

285651155_cSTmp-L.jpg

A happy robin at Langus Riverfront Park in Everett. At least someone thinks it's Spring.

285649688_fP2nB-L.jpg

No day is complete without Star Trek, cats, and tribbles.

285645780_jPHXo-L.jpg

This was a lot of fun. Thanks, Paul. Hope we do it again!
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    My Day - Saturday April 19, 2008
    Life got in the way of getting these images culled and processed sooner, but I've finally completed processing them.

I spent my Saturday at one of the many woodie automobile shows I find my self at throughout the year. This time I was at the 10th annual Doheny Wood held at Doheny State Beach in Dana Point, California. Doheny and woodies are mentioned in songs from the 1960's like Surfin' Safari by The Beach Boys and other surf bands.

Here is a selection of 10 of the images from the day. The rest can be viewed in this gallery.

287407157_Wz4aH-M-1.jpg
    #2 - One of many different and cool hood ornaments
    287407408_pAknZ-M-1.jpg
    #3 - Fake Food
    287407555_Up6Wh-M-1.jpg
    #4 - This is a VW Bug converted to a convertible VW Woodie.
    287407691_XZZQK-M-1.jpg
    287407850_6aYBm-M-1.jpg
    287407996_Yp3Kp-M-1.jpg
    287408128_qtbbW-M-1.jpg
    287408259_ruquJ-M-1.jpg
    287408433_uHGYv-M-1.jpg
    287408595_LaPWz-M-1.jpg
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    I was to meet up with a friend at the Renaissance Faire. Unfortunately, life intervened on his end and I wandered the dusty Faire alone, yet amongst several hundred people who were dressed, speaking and acting waaaaaay before their time.

Shooting on my own turned out to be fun, but not as much fun as shooting in a group. Here is how I spent my Saturday, April 19.
    It was early, and the archers were still a little sleepy.
    1Ren-Arrows.jpg

These swingers made for a rowdy trio. Until a "magic box" was spotted.
    2-Ren-Swing.jpg

Music, stories and dance.
    3-RenSong-and-Dance.jpg

I was waiting for a show to start, so I tried my hand at macro shooting in a light breeze.
    3a-Ren-In-The-Wind.jpg

The business end of a drum motivating a belly dancer.
    4-Ren-Drummer.jpg

Standing out while seated in a crowd.
    5-RenPainted-Spectator.jpg

The glass blower at work . . .
    6-Ren-Glass-Blower.jpg

. . . And the tools of his trade.
    7-Ren-Glass-Tools.jpg

MooNie keeps things up in the air . . .
    8-MooNie.jpg

. . . But not nearly as gracefully as Airianna.
    9-Ren-Airianna.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    I'm a little late to the big reveal, hope that's ok! I spent April 18-20 at a photography conference from another forum. So the following are pictures that I took on 4/19. We spent the afternoon on Lake Erie in Mentor, OH. We had two beautiful models that dressed up in wedding dresses for us. And even a married couple that dressed up again in their wedding garb for their one year anniversary to pose for us. The conference was wonderful and I learned a lot. My son came too and was a model, as you'll see in the last photo.

287952726_agsQd-L.jpg

287952355_8LGp6-L.jpg

287954229_ajviw-L.jpg

287954113_LNex9-L.jpg

287952971_ukdwE-L.jpg

287952167_QLF2D-L.jpg

287951972_oJoNT-L.jpg

287951841_dPgrW-L.jpg

287988219_Lursd-L.jpg

287954038_oxecP-L.jpg
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Wow. My favorites shots from this weekend were not on Sunday! Laughing.gif

I had an assignment at The Mohawk in Austin, Texas that evening. Nowhere near my best work but you wanted stuff shot on 4/19 :D
    Here are a few from that gig.

295048039_GhU38-M.jpg

295050469_kmFur-M.jpg

295047935_tuMZk-M.jpg

295048339_mNC9K-M.jpg

295049072_F6PFZ-M.jpg

295049285_7ydvM-M.jpg

295047631_pTDr6-M.jpg
  • runner10runner10 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Branching Out Series
    3 under par
    90839603.jpg

The Conductor
    90871787.jpg

Clothesline
    91025849.jpg

Prime Location
    92458901.jpg

Hammock
    91095813.jpg

Loner
    90823638.jpg

The More the Merrier
    92458803.jpg

Someone's absent
    91343321.jpg

Suitors
    91157014.jpg

Standing Room Only
    92501341.jpg

More of my "Branching Out" photos here... http://www.pbase.com/chuckmaceda/branching_out
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    These are really late, but I have been swamped the last few weeks. Here are the photos from my New Orleans trip. Shot with Canon G6, Canon 20D, Canon 40D.

A pics from Friday night early Sat morning party

A few of the white trash party
    295607409_QAS5V-M-1.jpg

295607472_VT7a7-M-1.jpg

295607609_ozage-M-1.jpg

A few from the French quarter on Saturday

295342060_m4dEH-M-1.jpg
    A few people eating at a Cafe.

295342487_q5ffE-M-1.jpg
    Well its New Orleans I had to include some alcohol somehow. Those are like 40 oz.

295345310_QUmAz-M-1.jpg
    An painter in Jackson Square

295345658_f9HU6-M-1.jpg
    An artist and her model

295346027_7ESZW-M-1.jpg
    A pigeon bathing in the fountain, or he/she was cooling off, but it wasn't hot so.

295346348_pEdqW-M-1.jpg
    People shopping at the French Market

295347290_hm53f-M-1.jpg
    Pirates Alley at Jackson Square in front of St Louis Cathedral. The alley actually runs down one side of the church.

295344976_S2Mta-M-1.jpg
    I stopped at Cafe Pontalba on the edge of Jackson Square to get of snack of Blackened Aligator. One of my favorites.

295347554_DmRkH-M-1.jpg
    At the corner of St Peter and Royal. Losts of shoppers on Rue de Royal.

295344373_vNKEB-M-1.jpg
    Musicians playing in open area just outside St Louis Cathedral.

295346979_ZEEK7-M-1.jpg
    The tuba player

295346730_L6agF-M-1.jpg
    A street magician. I caught his slight of hand and how he was holding certain cards while shuffling the rest.

295347888_fW6SD-M-1.jpg
    A carriage tour in the French Quarter.

295342815_HvZNX-M-1.jpg
    A small band playing on Decatur Street

295343362_MAJ2g-M-1.jpg
    Some performers dancing and the large crowd they drew. Not 30 minutes before I had walked by the same area and not 10 people were there.

295343877_nMJH9-M-1.jpg
    Another shot from a different angle. The building with the green canopy in the center of the picture in the background is Cafe DuMonde. I thought about getting some food and taking a pic there but it was packed.

295348313_rtg55-M-1.jpg
    Later that afternoon I wandered out of town to go to a few plantations. Here was a neat road I just came across.

And then the formal Saturday Night

295607337_sfkE7-M-1.jpg
    The seniors

295607167_hjKPE-M-1.jpg
    A few ladies

and then the after formal time on Bourbon Street, this was about 1am - 4am.

295607272_9rJiV-M-1.jpg
    I can't believe he actually sat on the curb. Some random person walking by jumped in the picture with him.

295607241_87UD8-M-1.jpg
    Here the guy in the center was dressed up like a pirate so the group asked him to be in a picture with them.

295607212_DSBSm-M-1.jpg
    Ok this person (because I think it was a tranny) in the pink was walking down the street and one guy say he/she and wanted a pic. You see some unusual stuff on Bourbon and that was definitely the unusual that night.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me