Pete- Senior Portraits- Western style!!!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited May 3, 2008 in People
Yesterday afternoon I spent an hour with Pete and Dusty. Pete is graduating high school in May, and Dusty is...well ...Dusty!

I have not done much photography that included animals, and never horses other than a few landscape style photos so this was a huge change for me. Pete and Dusty( thank God!!!) behaved themselves very well. Being unfamiliar with horses, I wasn't sure how Dusty would react to the sound of the camera or the flash. I was assured though that since he is ridden in rodeo arenas regularly he is very used to camera flashes. In the end all my worries were for nothing. He was as calm and responsive to Pete's guidance as one could expect.

I have a ways to go to finish editing, and I have a short deadline on this set as graduation is looming......but....here are a few samples.

Hope you enjoy!!!

1-

285268641_KYXmd-L-1.jpg

2-
285268528_bZjCo-M-1.jpg

3-
285267278_4oqrM-M-1.jpg

4-
285267039_ukR6D-L-1.jpg

5-
285265871_Dhi4U-L-1.jpg

6-
285266514_7JRWF-L-1.jpg

7-
285268541_zWJU9-M-1.jpg

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    You're a senior-portrait guru, got to say!! .... :whew Wonderful photos. LOVE the last one!!! If anything, I think the 2nd one is a too tight crop. But boy do I envy you for those shots!! clap.gif
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    for Sr. portraits, love the 1st and I really like #5 iloveyou.gif Love the lines of the horse, the calm bkgd, the lighting, just everything.

While I don't think of the last one as a Sr. portrait, I can imagine that it'll end up being very special to Pete as it shows the freedom of being able to just ride off. Nicely done.

and I have to say, even though I'm mostly a lurker in the people section, I always make a point of checking out your sr. portraits and am rarely disappointed.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    You're a senior-portrait guru, got to say!! .... :whew Wonderful photos. LOVE the last one!!! If anything, I think the 2nd one is a too tight crop. But boy do I envy you for those shots!! clap.gif

Oh sheesh!!!....I doubt I qualify as a "guru" of anything, but I gratefully accept your compliment. On #2....I like to grab some "frame-filled" shots whenever i am photographing people for whatever purpose. I think this one could actually be tighter, although I am not completely happy with the angle.

The last shot? There is so much that is technically wrong about it....yet somehow the subject matter still makes it a keeper. I shot about 20 frames of him galloping into my general direction...coming down the river bank. I had left my monopod about a mile away at my truck. On his last trip past me I swapped to jpeg capture rather than RAW plus jpeg. My camera has to stop and digest things now and then when shooting RAW+jpeg. Anyway I did it so I could keep firing as he rode past. I was glad that this was on that memory card when I uploaded. Very glad!!!

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.
    edited April 26, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    for Sr. portraits, love the 1st and I really like #5 iloveyou.gif Love the lines of the horse, the calm bkgd, the lighting, just everything.

While I don't think of the last one as a Sr. portrait, I can imagine that it'll end up being very special to Pete as it shows the freedom of being able to just ride off. Nicely done.

and I have to say, even though I'm mostly a lurker in the people section, I always make a point of checking out your sr. portraits and am rarely disappointed.

C.

Hi FL!!! Thanks for looking!

One of the "in" things to do for Sr portraits is a shot of them around RR tracks. Of these I have seen plenty...some of my own as well...of the kids walking away from the camera down the tracks. I think that the last shot here will serve that purpose for Pete. I am hoping so anyway!!!:D

Thanks for complimenting my work. I have many tools at my disposal for my photography, but I feel that confidence....sometimes...is outside my grasp!

Have a great weekend!!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I don't know why, but I can't see the photos. I can see photos in other posts and I can access your web-site and see pictures there (can't quickly find these though). headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    edited April 26, 2008
    I don't know why, but I can't see the photos. I can see photos in other posts and I can access your web-site and see pictures there (can't quickly find these though). headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Well I just learned something new then....

Photos in "hidden" galleries show fine in Dgrin. I had checked "hide photo" on these in the public gallery thinking they would work the same as a "hidden " gallery, but.... it REALLY hides them. Sorry 'bout that!

If yoy STILL can't see them....or if you CAN see them.....either way...let me know...PLEASE!!!! ne_nau.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I like #1 and #2 - these are good, standard portraits. I really like how tight you got on #2 - this is one that a mother and/or sweetheart is going to love (I think).

The cream of the crop is #5 - Very Very Nice!

Oh, BTW, I'm sure you got the hint - I can see them now!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    I like #7 the most! #4 isn't showing.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Great job as always. I always look forward to your pictures!

As for the horses, I stumbled across another photographer whose pictures I enjoy and he has a whole equine section. http://jarrettgaza.com/
    Jaye
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Great job with all of them.

Love the hair lights in #1, and to some degree 2

Like how you seem to have gotten some light under the hat in 3

The rest the lighting look great as well, outdoors where you can't set up umbrellas and light boxes.

Geat job!
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    But boy do I envy you for those shots!! clap.gif

I envy those abs... to be 18 again.
    Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    1, 5 & 7 with 5 being my favorite. This is probably my favorite set I've seen you do, and you do them quite well! I think they are particularly good for a male subject, as they often appear ill at ease in front of the camera. He looks very at relaxed. Great job!!! thumb.gif
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    On #2....I think this one could actually be tighter, although I am not completely happy with the angle.

I wonder if it's not the angle but the distortion that is keeping you from being completely happy with it. How close were you to your subject? It appears you may have been a tad too close and he's ended up with an unusually large head.

Other than that.....the rest of them are great. Well Done! I'm sure he's pleased!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Wow!
    saurora wrote:
    1, 5 & 7 with 5 being my favorite. This is probably my favorite set I've seen you do, and you do them quite well! I think they are particularly good for a male subject, as they often appear ill at ease in front of the camera. He looks very at relaxed. Great job!!! thumb.gif

Jeff, as always dude, outstanding work!! I would agree with Saurora, above, in that you did particularly well here with the male model. You captured what I would imagine is the very essence of this guy; a little rough and tussled (his hair!); more than a pinch of "country" with the horse; and most importantly, all of the shots come across as 100% manly (they scream MANLINESS!). 1, 2, 5, and 7 are by far my fav's. Seriously, fantastic work!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

-JB
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
    edited April 27, 2008
    I like #1 and #2 - these are good, standard portraits. I really like how tight you got on #2 - this is one that a mother and/or sweetheart is going to love (I think).

The cream of the crop is #5 - Very Very Nice!

Oh, BTW, I'm sure you got the hint - I can see them now!

I got the hint!!! Thanks, and thanks also for commenting!!
    edited April 27, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    Great job as always. I always look forward to your pictures!

As for the horses, I stumbled across another photographer whose pictures I enjoy and he has a whole equine section. http://jarrettgaza.com/

That is very flattering, thank you!!:D
    edited April 27, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Great job with all of them.

Love the hair lights in #1, and to some degree 2

Like how you seem to have gotten some light under the hat in 3

The rest the lighting look great as well, outdoors where you can't set up umbrellas and light boxes.

Geat job!

Thanks Josh....actually you can set up umbrellas and lightboxes outside....I see it done regularly, but don't do it myself.(yet:D ) The backlighting on the beach were awesome(1 and 2).
    edited April 27, 2008
    saurora wrote:

Ahhhh.......wanna see my head swell? mwink.gif

Thank you so much not only for looking, but for your kind comments. I admit it....he was at ease...I....wasn't so much at ease. We were in his element and not mine!!!:D

Thanks!!!!
    edited April 27, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    I wonder if it's not the angle but the distortion that is keeping you from being completely happy with it. How close were you to your subject? It appears you may have been a tad too close and he's ended up with an unusually large head.

Other than that.....the rest of them are great. Well Done! I'm sure he's pleased!

Was very close, but the distortion still doesn't bug me.....looking straight down at him does to some degree. His mom absolutely loved it. 1 and 2 actually.

Thanks for commenting!!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    now that I can see it, 4 is my second favorite! thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited April 27, 2008
    CTUphoto wrote:
    Jeff, as always dude, outstanding work!! I would agree with Saurora, above, in that you did particularly well here with the male model. You captured what I would imagine is the very essence of this guy; a little rough and tussled (his hair!); more than a pinch of "country" with the horse; and most importantly, all of the shots come across as 100% manly (they scream MANLINESS!). 1, 2, 5, and 7 are by far my fav's. Seriously, fantastic work!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

-JB

To be honest, he wasn't so sure about riding wearing only jeans. I just didn't see the fit with riding through a stream in dress boots and belt buckle. I was assured that he rides shirtless often. Getting him to leave the boots took some talking into.

I appreciate your kind comments. I don't often get a guy in front of the camera. They require much more direction than girls. He did a great job!!
    edited April 27, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    now that I can see it, 4 is my second favorite! thumb.gif

There ya go!!

Thanks!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    A great series, Jeff, with special nods to 1, 3, 5 and 7. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited April 27, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    A great series, Jeff, with special nods to 1, 3, 5 and 7. thumb.gifthumb.gif

I appreciate that Lee. Thanks!!!:D
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Just a wonderul set, Jeff! Very special shots with the horse. I can see why the mom would love those first two! He looks very relaxed and "himself." That last one with the galloping horse is so unique and with really lovely light. Very nicely done, again! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    These are great!!! Him and the horse makes these unique! Like the motion in the one that he is riding the horse away from camera.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Amazing set, Jeff. I love #2, #4, and mostly #7. Brings to mind the adage that there is no such thing as correct exposure, there is only the creatively correct one. Accident or no, this one simply works!

Fantastic job, the standouts of this set are some of your finest work to date. 4 especially feels very natural, relaxed, un-staged....simply a fine portrait of a fine looking young man.

Congrats!!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Oooooohh I like I like.... (especialy the riding ones... Beautiful horse.iloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gif)

this is kinda gonna be my idea for Senior portraits...
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Love them all, but #5 and #7 really jump out! Great work! clap.gifclap.gif
    edited April 28, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Just a wonderul set, Jeff! Very special shots with the horse. I can see why the mom would love those first two! He looks very relaxed and "himself." That last one with the galloping horse is so unique and with really lovely light. Very nicely done, again! clap.gif

I thought of you actually when I first saw it on my monitor. I remembered you playing around with backlight and flasre awhile back. I said to myself...."Elaine is gonna like this"!!!

Thanks for looking !