First Time Senior Photo Shoot

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited May 23, 2008 in People
Well here is my first time doing a Photo shoot. I know I could've done better, especially if I had more equipment. Like a FLASH. lol, I keep telling my husband I NEEEEEED one. But here they are.

_5185810.jpg

_5185897-1.jpg

_5185906.jpg

_5185948.jpg

_5185817.jpg

_5185830.jpg

_5185852.jpg

_5185877-1.jpg

_5185952.jpg

_5185973.jpg

_5185980.jpg

_5186021.jpg

_5186045.jpg

_5185986.jpg
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    You have a lovely subject with some nice surroundings to shoot in. You already know that you need a flash, so I'll try not to harp on that one other than to say, you need a flash. You might want to also invest in a reflector. These can be had pretty cheaply (I got one of the 5 in 1's from ebay)

Here's a few notes on a couple of individual images.

It looks like this one needs to be straightened a bit (leaning slightly to the right). You almost have a nice high key effect going on, but you needed that flash to fill the face a bit.

I like the pose here. I would suggest moving slightly to the subject's left so you could cut out the background on the right. It's just a little distracting to me. Also, check for level on this image.

Nice scene, nice pose. Try zooming in a little more and using a lower aperature to blur the background more and make your subject stand out. Once again, the fill flash would have helped with the harsh light.

I like this one. She seems to be really relaxed in this one. Nice pose and nice background. I'll mention that the fill flash would open this image up a bit.

Another nice shot. Just a couple of items. Flash (sorry). Her right hand is slightly hidden behind one of the vines which detracts a little from the subject.

One of my favorites. I like the expressions, they look like their having fun. Did you get any of just her at this same spot?

OK, that's it for my critique. I know you didn't expressly ask for the comments, but I assume that's why you shared the images.

Get that flash and keep up the good work.

Jeff
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    I really like #'s 1, 9 and 13. Be careful when shooting in open sun. It will cause very harsh shadows, dark eyes or faces. Flash will help with some of that but if at all possible try to stick with shaded areas and when shooting with a high sun. A reflector will also help until you can get a flash as stated.

It appears that some of your images are a bit out of focus. Your lens could be suffering from a front focusing problem. The images that are out of focus seem to be focused on areas in front of subject. You may want to try to use the center focus point and test focus on a subject in the center of the frame. Also have something in front of the subject and behind the subject off center to the left and right. Shoot with a shallow dof. If you can see the center subject in focus and the other two are slighty out of focus then your focus should be ok. If the focus is on the front object and not the subject in the center then you have a front focus problem. There are other ways to test this. Just do a search for front focus and texting and you'll find plenty on the subject.

Still nice work and with practice you'll get better each time!
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/
  • KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Thanks a lot. The flash is killing me! And my current lens is what came with my camera, it only goes to F4. So I wanted more blur affect, but that is all I could get for now. I haven't done photoshop on all of the pictures yet. And unfortunately, picture number 12 I didn't get with just her. I am starting to think maybe I should go back to that same spot to redo some. But the bad thing is, she is a Senior and is graduating June 1st. Not much time to get pictures and develop.

Thanks for comments, it really helps open my eyes to things I need to look for.

COMMENTS ARE NEED ...... Laughing.gif
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    I agree with suggestions above but overall these are beautiful pictures.
    LadyTX
    edited May 19, 2008
    Thank you, I need all the confidence boost I can get lol. I was very nervous since this was my first REAL photoshoot ever. Good thing it was my Cousin's girlfriend! But I agree with everything, especially with the flash situation. But I know I have to start somewhere. Hopefully I will have a flash before my next shoot. But I love the comments from everyone.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    As MarkW pointed out, don't forget about the focusing problem. Exposure problems can be corrected with post processing, but out-of-focus images are unsalvageable. You'd want the face area, especially the eyes, to be sharp for this type of shots. If you can't afford a flash yet, get a cheap white foam board to bounce the light and fill in the shadow areas. Use the tele end of your lens to help blur the background since your lens doesn't have a larger aperture.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited May 19, 2008
    To be honest, I really think it is my lens. B/c I used my focus dots and centered it on her. So I know I was putting it on her and not another object. And I have noticed my pictures are not as crisp as everyone else's. I know I could've moved and made it out of focus, but usually it would look more blurred. And I am not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I do remember putting my focus dot on her where I wanted it to focus. So please don't take it like I am being rude, that is just so everyone knows I did use my 3 point focus and used the center, instead of the auto. And I changed it when she was to one side or another.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Of them all I like 13 best.

Aside from focus issues, you may want to try to shoot your next set at a different time of day. Most all of these have areas where the highlights are blown...along with deeply shadowed areas. The high contrast hard sunlight didn't do you any favors. Try shooting in shade or indirect sunlight that is bouncing from a wall. Overcast skies can also present great opportunities. Io can find a location with "just right " natural light....you won't need a reflector or flash.
    edited May 19, 2008
    I looked at the weather Saturday to see how it would be Sunday, and the darn weather casters were wrong. Laughing.gif, they said overcast Sunday morning and sunny in the afternoon. They were WRONG, it was sunny in the morning and overcast in the afternoon. I took the pictures around 10:00 am b/c I was hoping for the overcast. As soon as I got home and got on this website, I had read 10:00-3:00 are the worst times to go. Bad mistake, but the pictures werent that horrid. So I will just learn from it! Laughing.gif, always have to learn the hard way. rolleyes1.gif
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Hi...
    I'm thinking what to say.... either Awesome or Excellant Laughing.gifZzzzz:ivar Wonderful efforts...thumb.gif

Letmme say some words to my knowledge..:D

#1 Good shot... nice framing with white stone at bottom but suggest you to crop at right and left sides white stone which not needed. good composition and outdoor light managed well.Seems to be too much free space at the top... i will crop it a bit to add more focus to subject(woman)

#2 BG is almost dead with hard exposed light and make our eyes to loose our attention towards subject... Image OOF (out of Focus) on your models Hands.. which i feel showing details is very much important while shoting a portrait. Good posture and cute smile...suberb model ;) Image needs a cropping @ top of the image.. where empty exposed space is useless...as you said image to be tilt a bit.

#3 Not fair composition and subject head @ dead center and not at all image looks interesting....Image needs a fine crop @ top of the image till subjects finger... right side crop till elbow.. which make head goes off-center.

#4 Nice perspective but...why subject again in dead center.... don't try to take picture in harsh light without diffuser...BG is not fair...

To be continued.... Lolzzz ( will be Back soon)
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    imo the backgrounds are distracting. In some there is too much contrast between dark bushes and lighter leaves. Some are blown out.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 19, 2008
    continues....
    # 5 Image OOF bottom much exposed...need cropping and image need sharpness... nothing much to say...since i told you all earlier and also... have to sharpen your composition skills...

# 6 Image OOF again as MarkW said Your lens could be suffering from a front focusing problem. Good BG but you did't utilize it... Photography is all about TIMING but in portrait shots hope you have alots of time set your camera... see preview in your camera after you shoot. It may not cause these kind of problems...

# 7 Shot shot with nice BG but needs more concentration on cropping and as i said earlier use diffuser or don't take pictures in harsh light...

# 8 NIce shot.. nothing more to say..( hope i said the same things earlier )

# 9 Try bit zoom in... same composition error but nice and cool posture...

# 10 Good shot but BG down! down !! :cry

# 11 Beautiful shot with green BG need sharpness..

# 12 WOW.. nice and romantic kinda shot.. wonderful light and atmosphere around... good models

# 13 cropping needs @ right,top... light managed well..

# 14 need tight crop... make attentions falls only on models....
    edited May 19, 2008
    super star wrote:
    # 5 Image OOF bottom much exposed...need cropping and image need sharpness... nothing much to say...since i told you all earlier and also... have to sharpen your composition skills...

# 6 Image OOF again as MarkW said Your lens could be suffering from a front focusing problem. Good BG but you did't utilize it... Photography is all about TIMING but in portrait shots hope you have alots of time set your camera... see preview in your camera after you shoot. It may not cause these kind of problems...

# 7 Shot shot with nice BG but needs more concentration on cropping and as i said earlier use diffuser or don't take pictures in harsh light...

# 8 NIce shot.. nothing more to say..( hope i said the same things earlier )

# 9 Try bit zoom in... same composition error but nice and cool posture...

# 10 Good shot but BG down! down !! :cry

# 11 Beautiful shot with green BG need sharpness..

# 12 WOW.. nice and romantic kinda shot.. wonderful light and atmosphere around... good models

# 13 cropping needs @ right,top... light managed well..

# 14 need tight crop... make attentions falls only on models....

Wow, I never knew there was that much wrong with it. I guess I will call her back and just redo everything. :cry
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Wow, I never knew there was that much wrong with it. I guess I will call her back and just redo everything. :cry

I wouldn't just throw these away and redo everything. You have some good images to work from. There are a few with some focus problems as mentioned, but many others can be adjusted and cropped into some nice images.

Think about all the good advice here the next time you are out shooting.

Jeff
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
    edited May 19, 2008
    I really do appreciate every comment from everyone. I didn't mean start over in a bad way. I just want to buy a reflector so that I can get a much better series. So please, everyone just keep it coming. Super Star just hit me hard, but I will be ok. It was only to be very helpful and I know that. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to know.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    edited May 20, 2008

HEy.. come on :nono don't feel its all wrong....Its all your experiments and keep on exprimenting new things.. in your each frame...day by day you will feel wings.gif... and you will feel the changes in your shots...thumb.gif

About redo.... if you wish you can... also keep all points in your mind..Stick to basics...first and click shutter button by thinking as it is your final shot that you can click in your camera..:yikes

Sharpen your skills in photoshop :ps which is very very important in your post processing..

:cavig Be cool.... be happy :ivar

Super star:davidto
    edited May 20, 2008
    Bought a reflector today, going to re-shoot Friday after 5 pm... Wish me luck, and any tips for sharp images?
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    edited May 20, 2008
    Bought a reflector today, going to re-shoot Friday after 5 pm... Wish me luck, and any tips for sharp images?

Yes,

IF the lens is functioning properly....

-The camera must be stable.
    -Do what you have to do to keep the shutter speed twice the focal length of your lens. A 50mm lens means 1/100th. Yes we CAN take shots at slower speeds, but if you are paying attention to this it really can improve sharpness.
    - When a face is hidden in shadows, and you try to focus on eyes, sometimes there is not enough contrast on the face to grab focus. I have had limited success in these cases by focusing on where the shirt collar meets the neck which is pretty close to the same distance as eyes on a full length shot.
    edited May 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yes,

IF the lens is functioning properly....

-The camera must be stable.
    -Do what you have to do to keep the shutter speed twice the focal length of your lens. A 50mm lens means 1/100th. Yes we CAN take shots at slower speeds, but if you are paying attention to this it really can improve sharpness.
    - When a face is hidden in shadows, and you try to focus on eyes, sometimes there is not enough contrast on the face to grab focus. I have had limited success in these cases by focusing on where the shirt collar meets the neck which is pretty close to the same distance as eyes on a full length shot.

Yeah... good info but also if you fail do sharpness... don't worry we can prove it in photoshop which is a great tool which is helping photographer to enhance the picture...:ivar

thumb.gif

- Super star :davidto
    edited May 20, 2008
    super star wrote:
    Yeah... good info but also if you fail do sharpness... don't worry we can prove it in photoshop which is a great tool which is helping photographer to enhance the picture...:ivar

thumb.gif

I disagree. A blurry image is a blurry image always. A sharp image can be farther sharpened, but you cannot "fix" blurry.
    edited May 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I disagree. A blurry image is a blurry image always. A sharp image can be farther sharpened, but you cannot "fix" blurry.
    super star wrote:

thumb.gif

Blurry.. image is a blurry image.. no doubt about it... but in some exceptional cases we have to play with photoshop( since i do street photography i cannot able make anyone pose... so, many times i get blurred shots and i also i fixed properly).... please note i also added "If you fail" we can try... thats all... if our hand got injured, we try to heal it aren't we?mwink.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 20, 2008
    super star wrote:
    Blurry.. image is a blurry image.. no doubt about it... but in some exceptional cases we have to play with photoshop( since i do street photography i cannot able make anyone pose... so, many times i get blurred shots and i also i fixed properly).... please note i also added "If you fail" we can try... thats all... if our hand got injured, we try to heal it aren't we?mwink.gif

Photoshop can rescue some blurry images, but it can't make them sharp if they weren't in focus to begin with. At least, not yet. :D On the other hand, not all images have to be razor sharp to work.
    edited May 20, 2008
    I am probably going to take my tripod with me to stablize the camera. I will show you what kind of pictures I have go before.... be right back...
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    edited May 20, 2008
    This one was taken at my work just playing around

DrStitt.jpg

PC120402_edited.jpg

PC120401.jpg
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    edited May 20, 2008
    Can someone help me on how to use the 5 in 1 reflectors?
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    edited May 21, 2008
    _5216286.png

Here is a pic using my reflector(s) I just got. Def LOVE using them. You can tell a difference with the sharpness, and color. LOVE IT!!!

Still have some work to do with exposure and angulation of the reflector... but I will get it
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • mrpillesmrpilles Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Headroom
    I supppose that when you look at them, you don't see the horendous spaces above their heads because that is what you saw (or didn't see) when you took them. You need to concetrate on your framing. The head does not go in the middle of the picture!
    edited May 22, 2008
    mrpilles wrote:
    I supppose that when you look at them, you don't see the horendous spaces above their heads because that is what you saw (or didn't see) when you took them. You need to concetrate on your framing. The head does not go in the middle of the picture!

Well with this picture, I literally ran out during work ( I work in a dentist office) with our intern and took a quick picture. So it wasn't trying to do a portrait picture or pose or anything....

Now with the other pictures, I knew I was going to crop. But I also know that I have some pictures I took that weren't in the middle... But I know what you mean, the rule of 3rds
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
    edited May 22, 2008
    How is it ?
    2ujjiuo.jpg

-Super Star :davidto
    edited May 22, 2008
    Very good! That was only a picture to test my reflectors!! lol, I am excited to do my photo shoot Friday
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II